Why do people hate Live so much?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Ikouze

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1 Ikouze
Member since 2009 • 2027 Posts

That's all I see on System Wars. People act like Live is the worst thing on the planet. People complain that you have to pay for Live, and that's the problem. Maybe it's the Sony fanboys? If Sony ever releases a PS4 and you have to pay for the online services, what are you going to do then? Pay for it like the rest of us. And it's not even like Xbox Live is much anyways, 20 for 3 months or 60 for a year compared to some PC games where you have to pay up to 150 for a year or 15 for a month. Why do you guys hate on Live so much? Is it really that bad?

todd2r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 todd2r
Member since 2009 • 2615 Posts

its a never ending debate that doesnt make much sense to me to be honest. you either pay it or dont. i waste more money on gas for the week than i do for Live for an entire year. its a small price to pay to get online and have some fun with friends.

R3FURBISHED

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#3 R3FURBISHED
Member since 2008 • 12408 Posts

It is a service you have to pay for when other online services are free. Couple that with ads and a lot of stupid panels that Msoft puts into the Live Dashboard -- it makes Live an easy target.

Though a lot of people can justify the price, like myself. Though I do think the price should be lowered because of the amount of add space on the Live Dashboard.

Riverwolf007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Riverwolf007
Member since 2005 • 26023 Posts

omg! i hatesis-is it!

and i know better than you what you should do with the money you earn!

if you have xbl for 100 years you could buy... like... alot of stuff! like really alot!!!

Ikouze

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Ikouze

It is a service you have to pay for when other online services are free. Couple that with ads and a lot of stupid panels that Msoft puts into the Live Dashboard -- it makes Live an easy target.

Though a lot of people can justify the price, like myself. Though I do think the price should be lowered because of the amount of add space on the Live Dashboard.

R3FURBISHED

The ads don't even bother anyone at all. The interactive ads are coupled within the dashboard so you have a choice to skip over them. It's not like they pop up and force you to watch the whole ad like youtube. That's a poor excuse. As I said before, you don't even pay that much for the service so why complain? Microsoft gives more discounts on games as well compared to PSN. So there you have it.

Basinboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#6 Basinboy
Member since 2003 • 14502 Posts

It's the fact that most people feel that MS is charging for something that they feel should be free. How many people pay the gold fee solely to play games online? Likely the majority of subscribers, all the other stuff MS says you get with gold is just fluff you don't necessarily want.

todd2r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 todd2r

[QUOTE="R3FURBISHED"]

Ikouze

The ads don't even bother anyone at all. The interactive ads are coupled within the dashboard so you have a choice to skip over them. It's not like they pop up and force you to watch the whole ad like youtube. That's a poor excuse. As I said before, you don't even pay that much for the service so why complain? Microsoft gives more discounts on games as well compared to PSN. So there you have it.

wow. that actually made sense. i dont see that too often in SW

Riverwolf007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Riverwolf007

[QUOTE="R3FURBISHED"]

Ikouze

no that's not true! sw has already established ads are "shoved down your throat!" and "TOTALLY IN YO FACE!"

as a matter of fact my xbox came with a laser that etches ads on the back of my retina! omg!

R3FURBISHED

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 R3FURBISHED

Ikouze

There are a lot of adds. The Welcome panel is all adds, the Video panel is all adds. The only two panels that are not full of adds are Friends panel (which is completely pointeless) and the My Xbox(?) panel (the one with whatever game is in you 360, settings, downloads, your game history etc.)

bigboss5ak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 bigboss5ak
Member since 2007 • 2962 Posts
I will gladly pay money to live if it means my account and cc info is safe and my multiplayer gaming wont be interrupted
Snakemaster9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Snakemaster9
Member since 2010 • 1420 Posts

cause if there is a free version, the paid version gets hate.

Avatar image for Stevo_the_gamer
Stevo_the_gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 49

#12 Stevo_the_gamer  Moderator
Member since 2004 • 49584 Posts
It is rather ironic that PS3 fans are more interested in XBL pricing then anyone else.
nethernova

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 nethernova
Member since 2008 • 5721 Posts

Why do you guys hate on Live so much?

Ikouze
Because there's no way to justifiy paying for P2P gaming. I think it would be okay to charge money for party chat and all those other nifty features but the simple act of online gaming itself should be included in silver accounts. Most games are peer to peer so you only need your internet connection which you're already paying for. Nobody is providing servers for those games. Why should I pay a fee to play them?
Ikouze

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Ikouze

It's the fact that most people feel that MS is charging for something that they feel should be free. How many people pay the gold fee solely to play games online? Likely the majority of subscribers, all the other stuff MS says you get with gold is just fluff you don't necessarily want.

Basinboy

It's not like they are charging an arm and a leg. We have cross-party chat, we can try Arcade games before we buy them in the market place (Unlike PSN), We can play demos as soon as they are downloaded (No long install steps after the download), and Discounts on Arcade titles all the time. You guys are acting like they are charging you 200 dollars a year for a subscription fee. Don't worry though. If Sony ever comes out with a PS4 and charges for the online subscription, sure people will complain but they will still pay for the online because it's a nesccestity.

Ikouze

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Ikouze

[QUOTE="Ikouze"]

R3FURBISHED

There are a lot of adds. The Welcome panel is all adds, the Video panel is all adds. The only two panels that are not full of adds are Friends panel (which is completely pointeless) and the My Xbox(?) panel (the one with whatever game is in you 360, settings, downloads, your game history etc.)

Do you even own a 360? Nobody even bothers with the ads because it doesn't inturupt you going through you Dashboard. A ad doesn't come up full screen and force you to watch it, you can get to everything easily without even seeing a ad. As I said before, this is a pity excuse.

Dr_Snood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#16 Dr_Snood
Member since 2008 • 2547 Posts

[QUOTE="R3FURBISHED"]

Ikouze

Still though, an ad is an ad whether or not it's executed well. What may not bother one, it may bother another.

I play XBL a lot and I am perfectly fine with XBL based ads. Alot of the times they advertise something that could actually be of use to me on XBL. However, adding Coke or Doritos ads onto the dashboard takes away from the slick media based look. It also makes me wonder why I even pay $50 a year. You'd think that these new ads could help cut the price down on XBL. If they did that, I would support them.

Also don't include game discounts as a bandaid to the $50 a year cost. PSN+ offers plenty more discounts and even free games. Only difference is that you must continually subscribe to PSN+ to beable to play the free games.

PAL360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

#17 PAL360
Member since 2007 • 30574 Posts

Maybe because it´s good and popular. That´s the only reason i see, live is amazing!

Shinobi120

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Shinobi120
Member since 2004 • 5728 Posts

It is rather ironic that PS3 fans are more interested in XBL pricing then anyone else.Stevo_the_gamer

I find that interesting as well. If PSN is so fantastic, then why are they constantly talking about people paying for Live & all this other gibberish? Plus PS3 fanboys fail to realize that Sony's online division is bleeding them in the red because they're not making money from it by having PSN for free. PSN+ is the first step to try to make money for their online division. Who's to say that they won't be charging for online next gen?

jimmypsn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 jimmypsn
Member since 2010 • 4425 Posts

Everything that is popular and great gets hated on here. Live is no exception.

R3FURBISHED

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 R3FURBISHED

Do you even own a 360? Nobody even bothers with the ads because it doesn't inturupt you going through you Dashboard. A ad doesn't come up full screen and force you to watch it, you can get to everything easily without even seeing a ad. As I said before, this is a pity excuse.

Ikouze

I definitely don't own a 360 and on that 360 that I don't own, I definitely don't have a gamerscore of over 30,000 (I also definitely haven't owned a 360 since launch)

Adds are everywhere in Live. Actually, you know that Dashboard that comes up when you are not signed into Live? Those are the only two panels that you actually need.

PS- I hope that link isn't too my private 360 gamespace, because I know PSN has a public and private.

Avatar image for Stevo_the_gamer
Stevo_the_gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 49

#21 Stevo_the_gamer  Moderator
Member since 2004 • 49584 Posts
[QUOTE="nethernova"][QUOTE="Ikouze"]

Because there's no way to justifiy paying for P2P gaming. I think it would be okay to charge money for party chat and all those other nifty features but the simple act of online gaming itself should be included in silver accounts. Most games are peer to peer so you only need your internet connection which you're already paying for. Nobody is providing servers for those games. Why should I pay a fee to play them?

If XBL Silver had online gaming, I doubt many people would be using XBL Gold; myself included. Lol
Dr_Snood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Dr_Snood
[QUOTE="Stevo_the_gamer"][QUOTE="nethernova"][QUOTE="Ikouze"]

If XBL Silver had online gaming, I doubt many people would be using XBL Gold; myself included. Lol

Yep I too would wave Gold goodbye lol. Which is why I can't see Microsoft ever making Silver playable online.
Ikouze

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Ikouze

[QUOTE="Ikouze"]

[QUOTE="R3FURBISHED"]

Dr_Snood

Still though, an ad is an ad whether or not it's executed well. What may not bother one, it may bother another.

I play XBL a lot and I am perfectly fine with XBL based ads. Alot of the times they advertise something that could actually be of use to me on XBL. However, adding Coke or Doritos ads onto the dashboard takes away from the slick media based look. It also makes me wonder why I even pay $50 a year. You'd think that these new ads could help cut the price down on XBL. If they did that, I would support them.

Also don't include game discounts as a bandaid to the $50 a year cost. PSN+ offers plenty more discounts and even free games. Only difference is that you must continually subscribe to PSN+ to beable to play the free games.

The ads don't take away from your Dashboard browsing so why complain. And the only reason you guys got free games was because PSN's security ntwork was breached and Sony gave them away as saying sorry for PSN being down. Normally that wouldn't even happen. And a paid subscription fee is needed for PSN+ users, so isn't that the same thing as Live?

cain006

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 38

#24 cain006
Member since 2008 • 8625 Posts

Because it's a terrible deal. PC's online is better and cheaper.

Dr_Snood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Dr_Snood

[QUOTE="Ikouze"]

R3FURBISHED

I definitely don't own a 360 and on that 360 that I don't own, I definitely don't have a gamerscore of over 30,000 (I also definitely haven't owned a 360 since launch)

Adds are everywhere in Live. Actually, you know that Dashboard that comes up when you are not signed into Live? Those are the only two panels that you actually need.

PS- I hope that link isn't too my private 360 gamespace, because I know PSN has a public and private.

The link is to your private 360 space. If he still doesn't believe you he can click on your Gamespot profile and scroll down to see your gamercard there.

forrester_fire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 forrester_fire
Member since 2011 • 113 Posts

[QUOTE="Basinboy"]

Ikouze

It's not like they are charging an arm and a leg. We have cross-party chat, we can try Arcade games before we buy them in the market place (Unlike PSN), We can play demos as soon as they are downloaded (No long install steps after the download), and Discounts on Arcade titles all the time. You guys are acting like they are charging you 200 dollars a year for a subscription fee. Don't worry though. If Sony ever comes out with a PS4 and charges for the online subscription, sure people will complain but they will still pay for the online because it's a nesccestity.

Online is NOT a necessity. I bought my PS3 3 months after launch and have still not signed up for PSN.
FastEddie2121

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 FastEddie2121
Member since 2009 • 3081 Posts
its a default sw topic when things are slow
Dr_Snood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Dr_Snood

[QUOTE="Dr_Snood"]

[QUOTE="Ikouze"]

Ikouze

The ads don't take away from your Dashboard browsing so why complain. And the only reason you guys got free games was because PSN's security ntwork was breached and Sony gave them away as saying sorry for PSN being down. Normally that wouldn't even happen. And a paid subscription fee is needed for PSN+ users, so isn't that the same thing as Live?

Sure they do. If there is an ad in the one of the rows and I need to scroll over to find something else, I'll probably have to scroll over the ad which takes time. Minor or not it does take an extra analog click to the side. It does interfere with my browsing experience whether or not it only takes .25 seconds to do so :P.

Also PSN+ does give out free games. I'm not talking about the welcome back package. PSN+ (as long as you stay subscribed) does give out free games, free exlusive demos only on PSN, and other free content as well.

Also yes it is the same thing, but it's optional.

Avatar image for MrSelf-Destruct
MrSelf-Destruct

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 MrSelf-Destruct
Member since 2010 • 13400 Posts
I don't hate it. I actually enjoy it, and I don't mind paying for it. It's a big deal at the moment, though, because of those stupid ads MS is implementing into a system that people already feel they are paying to much for. It's becoming more and more evident that LIVE is just another MS money machine. But, you either pay it or you don't, that's really the only choice you have.
glez13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 glez13
Member since 2006 • 10311 Posts

People hate everything with Live

XBOX Live

OnLive

NBA Live

:P

cain006

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 38

#31 cain006
Member since 2008 • 8625 Posts

Sure they do. If there is an ad in the one of the rows and I need to scroll over to find something else, I'll probably have to scroll over the ad which takes time. Minor or not it does take an extra analog click to the side. It does interfere with my browsing experience whether or not it only takes .25 seconds to do so :P.

Also PSN+ does give out free games. I'm not talking about the welcome back package. PSN+ (as long as you stay subscribed) does give out free games, free exlusive demos only on PSN, and other free content as well.

Dr_Snood

Those games aren't free though... you have to pay for PSN+. Saying they're free is like saying that online is free for xbox because it "comes with the service."

StealthMonkey4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 StealthMonkey4
Member since 2009 • 7434 Posts

It's $50 a year and still has ads.

Avatar image for slothboyadvance
slothboyadvance

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#33 slothboyadvance
Member since 2003 • 12596 Posts

I hate it because playing online should be free. I don't mind if they offer a premium version of the service, as long as the ability to play online is free. Also, they had absolutely no reason to raise the price last year outside the fact they knew people would pay.

There's a reason MS fanboys are called Lemmings around here.

lawlessx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 lawlessx
Member since 2004 • 48753 Posts
I don't hate it per say..i just wish microsoft focused more on the interest of gamers and not try to branch off so much.
forrester_fire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 forrester_fire
Member since 2011 • 113 Posts

It's $50 a year and still has ads.

StealthMonkey4
And those ads, all the bits and bytes that they comprise, eat into bandwidth that could be better used by the function the service satisfies: to play freakin' games.
Dr_Snood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 Dr_Snood

[QUOTE="Dr_Snood"]

cain006

Those games aren't free though... you have to pay for PSN+. Saying they're free is like saying that online is free for xbox because it "comes with the service."

I know, which is why I mentioned in my post that you have to stay subscribed. If one chooses to stay subscribed to PSN+ over Live then they will be free for them. To be honest, atleast PSN+ does let you "rent" games for free. In my three years of XBL I've only see a few free games.. one being Yaris.

Riverwolf007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 Riverwolf007

[QUOTE="Dr_Snood"]

cain006

don't correct people for saying that. everytime someone says you get free games when you pay a subscription fee an angel gets its wings.

Alpha-Male22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 Alpha-Male22
Member since 2008 • 3782 Posts

its a never ending debate that doesnt make much sense to me to be honest. you either pay it or dont. i waste more money on gas for the week than i do for Live for an entire year. its a small price to pay to get online and have some fun with friends.

todd2r
I can play online and have fun with friends for free. Can you get gas for free? If so, why bother paying for it?
ianuilliam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 ianuilliam
Member since 2006 • 4955 Posts

It's just one of those things. For the first couple years of this gen this place was hardcore Lemspot central. Now that the power dynamic has shifted between the 360 and PS3 supporters around here, there's a lot of "giving a taste of one's own medicine." 360 fans hated on PS3 for having no games because it didn't have a lot of high-rated exclusives it's first year. Now when 360 gets only 1-2 exclusives in a year, PS3 fans make fun of 360 for getting no games. 360 fans made such a big deal about Gears being graphics king (and then claimed it was console graphics king after Crysis), now PS3 fans keep bringing up console graphics king every time a great looking PS3 game comes out. And 360 fans trashed PS3 for being so expensive at launch, so in return PS3 fans trash 360 for making you pay an annual fee to access multiplayer (because $400 + $50-60 a year for 7-8 years is a lot more than $600).

Dr_Snood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 Dr_Snood

[QUOTE="cain006"]

[QUOTE="Dr_Snood"]

Riverwolf007

don't correct people for saying that. everytime someone says you get free games when you pay a subscription fee an angel gets its wings.

Geez.. would you guys have prefered if I would have said you can "rent" games for free? Would that help?

Riverwolf007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 Riverwolf007

[QUOTE="cain006"]

[QUOTE="Dr_Snood"]

Dr_Snood

I know, which is why I mentioned in my post that you have to stay subscribed. If one chooses to stay subscribed to PSN+ over Live then they will be free for them. To be honest, atleast PSN+ does let you "rent" games for free. In my three years of XBL I've only see a few free games.. one being Yaris.

umm crap... what are the other ones? yaris, undertow, aegis wing, the dorito rampage ripoff, dorito crash course, and harms way.

Riverwolf007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 Riverwolf007

[QUOTE="todd2r"]

Alpha-Male22

I can play online and have fun with friends for free. Can you get gas for free? If so, why bother paying for it?

where is your car parked and i will tell you if i can getgas free.

Dr_Snood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 Dr_Snood

[QUOTE="Dr_Snood"]

[QUOTE="cain006"]Those games aren't free though... you have to pay for PSN+. Saying they're free is like saying that online is free for xbox because it "comes with the service."

Riverwolf007

umm crap... what are the other ones? yaris, undertow, aegis wing, the dorito rampage ripoff, dorito crash course, and harms way.

1. Yaris is crap.
  2. Undertow was only free for a week.
  3. Aegis wing is actually really good.
  4. The doritos games are fun for a few minutes, mostly for advertisements. Atleast they did it in a cool way with gamerscore included.
  5. Haven't heard of Harms way. Will have to check it out, looks pretty cool.

Edit: Aegis wing is still free and I recommend every to pick it up tbh. Pretty good.

Shinobi120

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 Shinobi120
Member since 2004 • 5728 Posts

It's just one of those things. For the first couple years of this gen this place was hardcore Lemspot central. Now that the power dynamic has shifted between the 360 and PS3 supporters around here, there's a lot of "giving a taste of one's own medicine." 360 fans hated on PS3 for having no games because it didn't have a lot of high-rated exclusives it's first year. Now when 360 gets only 1-2 exclusives in a year, PS3 fans make fun of 360 for getting no games. 360 fans made such a big deal about Gears being graphics king (and then claimed it was console graphics king after Crysis), now PS3 fans keep bringing up console graphics king every time a great looking PS3 game comes out. And 360 fans trashed PS3 for being so expensive at launch, so in return PS3 fans trash 360 for making you pay an annual fee to access multiplayer (because $400 + $50-60 a year for 7-8 years is a lot more than $600).ianuilliam

Please, bud. Cows brought that on themselves when they kept bragging over & over about PS3 overtaking the 360 & the Wii & talking trash about those two systems before the PS3 & the Wii even launched.

Avatar image for slothboyadvance
slothboyadvance

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 slothboyadvance
Member since 2003 • 12596 Posts

[QUOTE="Alpha-Male22"][QUOTE="todd2r"]

Riverwolf007

Because we all know stealing a product or a service is the same as receiving it for free.

todd2r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 todd2r

[QUOTE="todd2r"]

Alpha-Male22

i can too because i have a ps3 as well. all that im saying is I like xbox live when compared to PSN. PSN is great for free but its not as good as Live. As a 30 year old father and husband, ive got more important things to worry about than renewing my Live subscription from amazon for 40 bucks. the 40 bucks i pay to connect with friends and family in other states that i dont have a chance of seeing all the time, is a very small price to pay.

Alpha-Male22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 Alpha-Male22
Member since 2008 • 3782 Posts

[QUOTE="Riverwolf007"]

[QUOTE="cain006"]Those games aren't free though... you have to pay for PSN+. Saying they're free is like saying that online is free for xbox because it "comes with the service."

Dr_Snood

Geez.. would you guys have prefered if I would have said you can "rent" games for free? Would that help?

Yes because that's more accurate. Doesnt change the fact that those games arent free if you have to pay for it. After all, you are paying to access that service.
Riverwolf007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 Riverwolf007

[QUOTE="Riverwolf007"]

[QUOTE="Alpha-Male22"] I can play online and have fun with friends for free. Can you get gas for free? If so, why bother paying for it?slothboyadvance

Because we all know stealing a product or a service is the same as receiving it for free.

lol, everyone is so bitter.

i'm gonna start a sw post traumatic stress syndrome disorder center.

todd2r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 todd2r

[QUOTE="slothboyadvance"]

[QUOTE="Riverwolf007"]where is your car parked and i will tell you if i can getgas free.

Riverwolf007

lol, everyone is so bitter.

i'm gonna start a sw post traumatic stress syndrome disorder center.

lol

jimmypsn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 jimmypsn
Member since 2010 • 4425 Posts

If you don't like Live, don't get it. What so hard to understand? Is there really a point to get mad at someone for how they want to spend their money?