Why do Cows say PS2 made DVD's mainstream?

• 51 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

m3Boarder32

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 m3Boarder32
Member since 2002 • 9526 Posts

Sorry,  its just no true.  Here is a typical quote from a Sony fan:

"As far as being "force fed" a BD drive--I don't remember anyone screaming about being force fed a dvd drive when the PS-2 was introduced. DVD was still rather new at the time and standalone dvd players cost more than the PS-2 did at intro. Sony saw a chance to grow the dvd installed base with the PS-2 and used it, they're doing the same with the PS3.

Lots of people had a PS2 as their first dvd player, Sony knows this and is trying the same thing with the PS3 and BD. The gaming and other capabilities of both systems could be argued to be worth their prices without the dvd or BD drives and could be perceived as a "free bonus" by many."

Sorry,  cows but your wrong...It's completely different this time around...I mean,  if you sell 100K BD movies,  its a freakin sales record..

DaysAirlines

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 DaysAirlines
Member since 2006 • 9537 Posts
There was no format war last gen.
cobrax25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 cobrax25
Member since 2006 • 9649 Posts
back then selling 100,000 DVD's was also a sales record..... Its not a stretch to say that the PS2 "escalated" the popularity of DVD's.... My first DVD player was my PS2.
11Marcel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 11Marcel
Member since 2004 • 7241 Posts
I never heard a cow say that....
MikeE21286

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#5 MikeE21286
Member since 2003 • 10405 Posts

back then selling 100,000 DVD's was also a sales record..... Its not a stretch to say that the PS2 "escalated" the popularity of DVD's.... My first DVD player was my PS2.cobrax25

Yeah, my PS2 was my first DVD player also.  I have never bought a standalone player.....I always use my game console.

tango90101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 tango90101
Member since 2006 • 5977 Posts

cows simply repeat what sony says..

and sony believes they brought dvd into households....

silly, isn't it?  :lol:

donalbane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#7 donalbane
Member since 2003 • 16383 Posts
Maybe because the 1st year the PS2 was out about all you could do was watch DVDs.
peacebringer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

#8 peacebringer
Member since 2006 • 3371 Posts

Sorry, its just no true. Here is a typical quote from a Sony fan:

"As far as being "force fed" a BD drive--I don't remember anyone screaming about being force fed a dvd drive when the PS-2 was introduced. DVD was still rather new at the time and standalone dvd players cost more than the PS-2 did at intro. Sony saw a chance to grow the dvd installed base with the PS-2 and used it, they're doing the same with the PS3.

Lots of people had a PS2 as their first dvd player, Sony knows this and is trying the same thing with the PS3 and BD. The gaming and other capabilities of both systems could be argued to be worth their prices without the dvd or BD drives and could be perceived as a "free bonus" by many."

Sorry, cows but your wrong...It's completely different this time around...I mean, if you sell 100K BD movies, its a freakin sales record..

m3Boarder32
Although it's true that Sony's psdvd2 sold alot and was many people first DVD player BD is not really a big deal to alot of people. there people with collections of dvds and to them are movies. HD is not gonna be huge for Movies as people think it'll be the norm in 4 years because there gonna force it down our throats.
Adrian_Cloud

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Adrian_Cloud
Member since 2006 • 7169 Posts
Why do you guys make up this BS? SOny fans on this boards never said such a thing. Thats just a ridicilous statement that you made up. and thanks for your minute history lesson on dvds. :|
crashintome202

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 crashintome202
Member since 2004 • 466 Posts
they didnt bring dvd into houses but they certainly helped. ps2 wasnt my first dvd player, my parents actually got one for christmas the same year i got ps2.
jrhawk42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 jrhawk42
Member since 2003 • 12764 Posts

There was no format war last gen.DaysAirlines

actually there was (sony lost, lol)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dvd  

crashintome202

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 crashintome202
Member since 2004 • 466 Posts
Maybe because the 1st year the PS2 was out about all you could do was watch DVDs.donalbane
hmmmm kinda sounds like ps3 but with blu ray lol
Kreean

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Kreean
Member since 2006 • 683 Posts
You're funny m3Boarder32.
No one asked for DVD either and still the people buyed it.
m3Boarder32

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 m3Boarder32

back then selling 100,000 DVD's was also a sales record..... Its not a stretch to say that the PS2 "escalated" the popularity of DVD's.... My first DVD player was my PS2.cobrax25

6 months after PS2 released selling 100K was a sales record?

Titanic sold 1 million DVD copies 18 months before PS2 released...

98 millon DVD's were sold in 1999 alone..

tango90101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 tango90101
Member since 2006 • 5977 Posts

[QUOTE="cobrax25"]back then selling 100,000 DVD's was also a sales record..... Its not a stretch to say that the PS2 "escalated" the popularity of DVD's.... My first DVD player was my PS2.m3Boarder32

it's funny to watch cow theories get blown to pieces...

i guess the fact taht dvd players were under $200 when the ps2 launched might have had something to do with the popularity of dvd....

m3Boarder32

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 m3Boarder32

You're funny m3Boarder32.
Kreean

You're not ;)

Legendaryscmt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Legendaryscmt
Member since 2005 • 12532 Posts
It did for Japan, not the US though.
tovarischs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 tovarischs
Member since 2006 • 170 Posts

The big difference is that DVDs were a quantum leap ahead of VHS tapes. They were far smaller than VHS tapes, not to mention infinitely more accessible, allowing for things that were previously impossible. Want a full season of a TV show? You can buy the 3 foot thick edition on VHS tape, with no special features or commentary, or you could buy the DVD consisting of 5 discs that was about half an inch to an inch thick. Everyone had a TV that could take advantage of the format, since you didn't require a brand new type of television like you do with HD.

BluRay and HD-DVD are basically souped up DVDs for people with HDTVs, which is still a minority of consumers. Also, most people are still very leery about what happened with Betamax, and as such will hold off on purchasing a new format until it's been pretty much cemented which one is going to be the new standard.

You can't compare the two products, really, because the situations are so very different.

-John

m3Boarder32

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 m3Boarder32
[QUOTE="m3Boarder32"]

[QUOTE="cobrax25"]back then selling 100,000 DVD's was also a sales record..... Its not a stretch to say that the PS2 "escalated" the popularity of DVD's.... My first DVD player was my PS2.tango90101

it's funny to watch cow theories get blown to pieces...

i guess the fact taht dvd players were under $200 when the ps2 launched might have had something to do with the popularity of dvd....

It is funny huh.

BTW,  Go Colts!

donalbane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 donalbane

[QUOTE="donalbane"]Maybe because the 1st year the PS2 was out about all you could do was watch DVDs.crashintome202

That's what I was thinking.  But by the same token, does this mean that Sony could actually end up on top this gen?  No wait, it's twice as costly this time around.  And that's what will make all the difference.  Oh, and the fact that you have to have a new type of TV to enjoy Blue Ray, whereas DVD was already a popular format compatable with everyone's hardware.

Kreean

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Kreean
Member since 2006 • 683 Posts

Actually I don't know, but what are trying to tell us?
Of course Sony is trying to push this format, it's their business.
They invested alot of money into it, they would be fools if they wouldn't do that.
No one asked for Vista too!
But I don't blame Microsoft for that, it's their business.

Conclusion: If you don't like it, don't buy it.
Some people are strange... :roll:

Nugtoka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Nugtoka
Member since 2003 • 1812 Posts
Maybe because the 1st year the PS2 was out about all you could do was watch DVDs.donalbane
Yep and that's exactly what is happening with Ps3 nothing to do but watch blue ray movies. I kind of suspect Sony is using there pawns by starving them for games so they go out and buy more blue ray movies to justify there $600 purchase.
m3Boarder32

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 m3Boarder32

[QUOTE="crashintome202"][QUOTE="donalbane"]Maybe because the 1st year the PS2 was out about all you could do was watch DVDs.donalbane

That's what I was thinking.  But by the same token, does this mean that Sony could actually end up on top this gen?  No wait, it's twice as costly this time around.  And that's what will make all the difference.  Oh, and the fact that you have to have a new type of TV to enjoy Blue Ray, whereas DVD was already a popular format compatable with everyone's hardware.

true HD-DVD and Bluray is for HDTV's...But you know there are a bunch of PS3 fanboys buying bluray movies and watching it on there SDTV's anyway...

donalbane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 donalbane
[QUOTE="donalbane"]Maybe because the 1st year the PS2 was out about all you could do was watch DVDs.Nugtoka
Yep and that's exactly what is happening with Ps3 nothing to do but watch blue ray movies. I kind of suspect Sony is using there pawns by starving them for games so they go out and buy more blue ray movies to justify there $600 purchase.

I know that's what I've been doing. I must have watched The Departed 3 times now.
m3Boarder32

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 m3Boarder32

[QUOTE="donalbane"]Maybe because the 1st year the PS2 was out about all you could do was watch DVDs.Nugtoka

Well it worked.. I own 1 PS3 game, and like 9 Bluray movies :lol:

deviates1080

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 deviates1080
Member since 2006 • 1926 Posts

I got a lot out of my PS2, but it was probably the worst DVD player I have ever owned and the least used. Used it once and went straight back to my other player.

Nugtoka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Nugtoka
Member since 2003 • 1812 Posts

[QUOTE="Nugtoka"][QUOTE="donalbane"]Maybe because the 1st year the PS2 was out about all you could do was watch DVDs.m3Boarder32

Well it worked.. I own 1 PS3 game, and like 9 Bluray movies :lol:

exactly Sony can survive without being #1 in games but they can't survive without owning a major format like Blue Ray. Sony is to big of a beast to live off the PlayStation profits.
kcpp2b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 kcpp2b
Member since 2006 • 12498 Posts

This is interesting, type in Betamax and Wiki and I found this:

"It was the most popular video format in 1983, gaining almost a third of the UK video recorder market, while Sanyo's VTC5000 was the top selling UK video recorder. By 1985, however, the market had turned sharply towards VHS."

Let me say I don't think this means anything cause I don't think just because it happens before it's some kind of dumb sign but it goes to show you just because someone is winning at the moment doesn't mean anything is over.

CalmityDaunt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 CalmityDaunt
Member since 2006 • 296 Posts
My first DVD player was my PS2, go figure.
palaric8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 palaric8
Member since 2006 • 2246 Posts

Sorry,  cows but your wrong...It's completely different this time around...I mean,  if you sell 100K BD movies,  its a freakin sales record..

m3Boarder32
my first dvd player was a ps2 =)
haols

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 haols
Member since 2005 • 2348 Posts
[QUOTE="Adrian_Cloud"]Why do you guys make up this BS? SOny fans on this boards never said such a thing. Thats just a ridicilous statement that you made up. and thanks for your minute history lesson on dvds. :|

What :? Cows are bringing that arguement up all the time when someone is critisising the decision to incorporate the BD-drive in PS3.
alex1889

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#32 alex1889
Member since 2006 • 1633 Posts

m3Boarder32

so 1 cow says something and u assume all cows do.

When you made this post were you useing the stereotyper 5000?

kcpp2b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 kcpp2b

I got a lot out of my PS2, but it was probably the worst DVD player I have ever owned and the least used. Used it once and went straight back to my other player.

deviates1080

I just about never use my PS2, Xbox, or 360 to watch movies.
I only play games on it and don't wanna  use it for anything else  honestly. I dont wanna wear it out playing movies seriously.

I like my console for gaming only but this IPTV is interesting, I would get that and the new 360 if I had the money maybe 

CalmityDaunt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 CalmityDaunt
[QUOTE="haols"][QUOTE="Adrian_Cloud"]Why do you guys make up this BS? SOny fans on this boards never said such a thing. Thats just a ridicilous statement that you made up. and thanks for your minute history lesson on dvds. :|

What :? Cows are bringing that arguement up all the time when someone is critisising the decision to incorporate the BD-drive in PS3.

No, no they are not :roll:
kcpp2b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 kcpp2b

deviates1080

I just about never use my PS2, Xbox, or 360 to watch movies.
I only play games on it and don't wanna  use it for anything else  honestly. I dont wanna wear it out playing movies seriously.

I like my console for gaming only but this IPTV is interesting, I would get that and the new 360 if I had the money maybe 

m3Boarder32

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 m3Boarder32

My first DVD player was my PS2, go figure.CalmityDaunt

4 million American's had a DVD player a year before you...

How many Americans had a BD player a year before PS3 came out?  Zero

See what i mean,  its completely different this time.

m3Boarder32

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 m3Boarder32

[QUOTE="haols"][QUOTE="Adrian_Cloud"]Why do you guys make up this BS? SOny fans on this boards never said such a thing. Thats just a ridicilous statement that you made up. and thanks for your minute history lesson on dvds. :|CalmityDaunt

No, no they are not :roll:

yes,  yes they are :roll:

m3Boarder32

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 m3Boarder32
[QUOTE="m3Boarder32"]

alex1889

so 1 cow says something and u assume all cows do.

When you made this post were you useing the stereotyper 5000?

Your being ignorant if you think 1 cow has said PS2 made DVD mainstream

elementz28

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 elementz28
Member since 2007 • 1829 Posts
Because sony sold 109 million ps2 and a lot of people use it watch dvd l..so they made dvd a success..and it looks like blue ray is goin on top soon as well..
CalmityDaunt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 CalmityDaunt

[QUOTE="CalmityDaunt"]My first DVD player was my PS2, go figure.m3Boarder32

Yet another lame attempt to rip on the PS3, seriously. I'm not an American i'm English but surely 4 million is not alot over there? Why do you have to disguise your attempt at ragging on the PS3 to claim that "every" cow is saying this. You don't like Blu-Ray? Then don't buy it.
Episode_Eve

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 Episode_Eve
Member since 2004 • 16986 Posts
I know it was my first DVD player...and most of my family and friends. So I'm sure it helped push the format.
CalmityDaunt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 CalmityDaunt
I know it was my first DVD player...and most of my family and friends. So I'm sure it helped push the format.Episode_Eve
But but 4 million people had DVDs before you, it's totally different this time....
m3Boarder32

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 m3Boarder32
[QUOTE="m3Boarder32"]

[QUOTE="CalmityDaunt"]My first DVD player was my PS2, go figure.CalmityDaunt

Yet another lame attempt to rip on the PS3, seriously. I'm not an American i'm English but surely 4 million is not alot over there? Why do you have to disguise your attempt at ragging on the PS3 to claim that "every" cow is saying this. You don't like Blu-Ray? Then don't buy it.

Who said i don't like Bluray?  I own like 9 or 10 bluray movies...Don't start crying to me for stating facts...

Plug_One

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 Plug_One
Member since 2007 • 501 Posts
The difference between VHS and DVD is about a billion times bigger than the difference between DVD and Bluray.
Episode_Eve

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 Episode_Eve
Member since 2004 • 16986 Posts

[QUOTE="Episode_Eve"]I know it was my first DVD player...and most of my family and friends. So I'm sure it helped push the format.CalmityDaunt
But but 4 million people had DVDs before you, it's totally different this time....

Of course it's different this time. Blu-ray's biggest competition is DVD. Whereas DVD was up against piss poor quality VHS (it was a huge difference). I'm just saying that PS2 helped usher in DVD. It wasn't the sole contributor to it's success.

I can honestly see PS3 pushing Blu-ray over HD-DVD, but it'll take more time for DVD.

wmc540

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 wmc540
Member since 2006 • 2620 Posts
DVD Players made the PS2 maintstream... in Japan at least.
CalmityDaunt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 CalmityDaunt
[QUOTE="CalmityDaunt"][QUOTE="Episode_Eve"]I know it was my first DVD player...and most of my family and friends. So I'm sure it helped push the format.Episode_Eve

Of course it's different this time. Blu-ray's biggest competition is DVD. Whereas DVD was up against piss poor quality VHS (it was a huge difference). I'm just saying that PS2 helped usher in DVD. It wasn't the sole contributor to it's success.

Na dude i totally aggree with you i was just commenting on the TC above me :D
m3Boarder32

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 m3Boarder32

[QUOTE="Episode_Eve"]I know it was my first DVD player...and most of my family and friends. So I'm sure it helped push the format.CalmityDaunt

It is different...PS2 was not a trojan horse to make DVD popular...DVD was popular well before PS2 came out...

PS3 on the other hand ia a BD trojan horse. 

Like i said,  4 million Americans had DVD players a year before PS2 came out.

Zero Americans had BD players a year before PS3 came out.

PS3 = BD Trojan Horse

Avatar image for yoddahasbadodda
yoddahasbadodda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 yoddahasbadodda
Member since 2007 • 155 Posts

m3Boarder32

umm 100+ million says differently.

ive never bought a stand alone dvd player in my life, ps2 was my dvd player.

m3Boarder32

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 m3Boarder32
[QUOTE="m3Boarder32"]

yoddahasbadodda

umm 100+ million says differently.

ive never bought a stand alone dvd player in my life, ps2 was my dvd player.

Read the whole thread before posting.

PS3 is a BD trojan horse,  PS2 never was.