Why did SMG 2 get a 10? *Coming from unbiased gamer

• 88 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

jwhitmore12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 jwhitmore12
Member since 2009 • 136 Posts

Mario Galaxy 2 is waaaay overrated. I like SMG and SMG2- both have provided me with hours of fun. How can people say that this game didn't feel like more of the same? And if not, how do its minimal changes warrant a perfect score? Other games take years of work to make, yet Nintendo can repackage a game and get a 10? wth?

*Flame bunker prepped and ready

Avatar image for Raymundo_Manuel
Raymundo_Manuel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 Raymundo_Manuel
Member since 2010 • 4641 Posts

It got a 10 because the reviewer has a different opinion than you.

I know, I know, your opinion should be regarded as fact...But some of us like to live in a fantasy world where other people can voice their own opinions as well. You can't control what we think.......yet

siddhu33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 siddhu33
Member since 2008 • 3264 Posts

First of all, the phrase *coming from unbiased gamer, automatically means that you have something hidden.

Second, it got a 10, as it is the best game for it's genre.

Mario1331

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#4 Mario1331
Member since 2005 • 8929 Posts

because it perfected platforming. if you read the review you will answer your own question

Zero5000X

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Zero5000X
Member since 2004 • 8314 Posts
It was a good game but I agree it was overrated. It was an improvement over the first in every way though I felt the first was overrated as well. It just doesn't compare to 3D platformers like Super Mario 64 and Banjo-Kazooie as far as I'm concerned. Nothing particularly memorable about it.
YankeeDan345

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#6 YankeeDan345
Member since 2005 • 1430 Posts

First of all, the phrase *coming from unbiased gamer, automatically means that you have something hidden.

siddhu33
Its the best game for people who want to play SMG over again but don't want to play the same game over again.
jwhitmore12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 jwhitmore12
[QUOTE="Raymundo_Manuel"]

I know, I know, your opinion should be regarded as fact...But some of us like to live in a fantasy world where other people can voice their own opinions as well. You can't control what we think.......yet

ok thanks for a serious response... anyways, no game should ever get a 10 BECAUSE every has their own opinion. Im not stating my opinion as fact, but I think most people will agree that there are many more memorable and 10-deserving games
Avatar image for Stevo_the_gamer
Stevo_the_gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 49

#8 Stevo_the_gamer  Moderator
Member since 2004 • 49606 Posts

how do its minimal changes warrant a perfect score? jwhitmore12

Read the review and find out. :)

Also: 10 doens't represent perfection.

rangegear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#9 rangegear
Member since 2008 • 3029 Posts

Like you said...Its more of the same. Lets not forget the first game got a pretty high score aswell. a 9.5 if im not mistaken.

Mario1331

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Mario1331
Member since 2005 • 8929 Posts

[QUOTE="siddhu33"]

YankeeDan345

Its the best game for people who want to play SMG over again but don't want to play the same game over again.

i dont understand SMG2 is not the same as SMG1 its a sequel how different do you want a sequel to be:|

dercoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 dercoo
Member since 2006 • 12555 Posts

The reviewer thought it was really good...

jwhitmore12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 jwhitmore12
[QUOTE="siddhu33"]

I have bought almost every 1st party nintendo game released this gen. I said that because I wanted serious responses, not "ooh youre just a hater"
dunl12496

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 dunl12496
Member since 2009 • 5710 Posts

Because the wii doesn't have that many good games so something a little good is a 10. Like Welcome To The Jungle by Guns and Roses.

Yangire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Yangire
Member since 2010 • 8795 Posts

[QUOTE="YankeeDan345"][QUOTE="siddhu33"]

Mario1331

i dont understand SMG2 is not the same as SMG1 its a sequel how different do you want a sequel to be:|

I agree, people seem to have unrealistic expectations for sequels here.

lucky_star

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 lucky_star
Member since 2003 • 2307 Posts

I havent started SMG 2 yet. But if its just more of the same i might be disappointing.

New Super Mario Bros -> SMG.

raskullibur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#16 raskullibur
Member since 2003 • 3390 Posts
It got because it's Mario + Nostalgia = Win!
jwhitmore12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 jwhitmore12
It got because it's Mario + Nostalgia = Win!raskullibur
I admit, I enjoy nostalgia, but, as ironic as this sounds- its getting old. when will reviewers stop using nostalgia as a factor in reviews?
Mercenary848

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Mercenary848
Member since 2007 • 12143 Posts

I put of getting this game for a while and finally got it yesterday. Honestly i see no problem with it, no game is perfect, but the 10 is justified.

ethersol

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 ethersol
Member since 2010 • 104 Posts

I havent started SMG 2 yet. But if its just more of the same i might be disappointing.

New Super Mario Bros -> SMG.

lucky_star
i am in the same boat atm haha. i went and bought it because it was $69 instead of the overpriced $120 here :| but i will get around to it soon. and lol New Super Mario Bros. is fun, but oh my god does it test my patience and friendship hahaha most of the time you're accidentally killing one another instead of enemies killing you 8D i played SMG1 and i enjoyed it, but it wasn't the bee's knees to me. i'm hoping for a fresher experience with SMG2, and the addition of yoshi should be fun. i still don't think i will end up giving SMG2 a perfect 10, even after i finish the game. i predict anywhere from 8.5-9.0
bri360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 bri360
Member since 2005 • 2755 Posts

[QUOTE="Raymundo_Manuel"]

jwhitmore12

ok thanks for a serious response... anyways, no game should ever get a 10 BECAUSE every has their own opinion. Im not stating my opinion as fact, but I think most people will agree that there are many more memorable and 10-deserving games

Good for you, but to the reviewer, SMG was the best. Thus it got a 10.

Rly its not that hard to understand...

Silenthps

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#22 Silenthps
Member since 2006 • 7302 Posts
he gave reasons as to why he gave it a 10 in his review. if you see any flaws in his review then point it out but otherwise i see no point in complaining about it.
Mercenary848

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Mercenary848
Member since 2007 • 12143 Posts

[This message was deleted at the request of the original poster]raskullibur

i disagree, honestly you could have done this game with any cast of charachters and the gameplay and amazing level design still would come through.

Diviniuz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 73

#24 Diviniuz
Member since 2009 • 6460 Posts
The game is way too easy, thats the biggest issue with it.
Elian2530

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#25 Elian2530
Member since 2009 • 3658 Posts

jwhitmore12
*uses flamethrower to chase you out* :P I dont know man.. it's probably because it's the first true Mario sequel. They HAD to give that a 10. :)
antiredcap

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 antiredcap
Member since 2007 • 1757 Posts

It's the best game I've played in the past 4 years, I'd also give it a 10.
Have you read the review, the reasoning for the high rating is obvious there.

Rockman999

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Rockman999
Member since 2005 • 7507 Posts
It got a 10 simply because of the Mario name, if you were to keep the gameplay and replace the name and characters with something else, the game would have gotten an 8.5. It's sad really.
KungfuKitten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

#28 KungfuKitten
Member since 2006 • 27389 Posts

I thought SMG2 required years of work to make as well.

kontejner44

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 kontejner44
Member since 2006 • 2025 Posts

It got a 10 becuase it doesn't need any improvement in any category, it's the best title for what it does, 3D platforming. Now if you enjoy the gameplay or not that's another issue.

I think it's the best single player game ever created. It's not OoT in terms of impact, it's just a game that is perfect.

lucky_star

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 lucky_star
[QUOTE="kontejner44"]

It got a 10 becuase it doesn't need any improvement in any category, it's the best title for what it does, 3D platforming. Now if you enjoy the gameplay or not that's another issue.

I think it's the best single player game ever created. It's not OoT in terms of impact, it's just a game that is perfect.

May i ask what is your Top 5 single player games if SMG2 is #1?
caryslan2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 caryslan2
Member since 2005 • 2486 Posts

It got a 10 simply because of the Mario name, if you were to keep the gameplay and replace the name and characters with something else, the game would have gotten an 8.5. It's sad really.Rockman999

Why does everyone keep saying it got its score just because its a Mario game? If that were the case every Mario game would be getting at least a 9.0 on Gamespot.

And yet, Super Mario Sunshine got an 8.0 and New Super Mario Brothers Wii got an 8.5 here on Gamespot. Maybe the reviewer felt SMG2 was an amazing platformer that improved on SMG1?

Honestly, why does everyone attack an high review score for an Nintendo game and act like its getting by because of a name and nostalgia?

kontejner44

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 kontejner44

[QUOTE="kontejner44"]

lucky_star

It's easier to make a current gen list

SMG2, MGS4, UC2, SMG, Prime Trilogy*

* = Normally I wouldn't add a trilogy pack but to play Prime 1 and 2 with Prime 3 controls is heaven for me so I just have to add it

Those 4 games are in the top tier, Zelda TP follows after that. TP is the best Zelda game imo, but it's a gamecube game so the gameplay wasn't made with Wii controls in mind, SS will fix that. I think SS is going to be the next 10-fest game from Nintendo.

Yeah I am aware that all of those games got high metascores, but hey I heavily disliked GTA4 that gotta count for something :p

lucky_star

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 lucky_star
[QUOTE="kontejner44"]

[QUOTE="lucky_star"][QUOTE="kontejner44"]

* = Normally I wouldn't add a trilogy pack but to play Prime 1 and 2 with Prime 3 controls is heaven for me so I just have to add it

Those 4 games are in the top tier, Zelda TP follows after that. TP is the best Zelda game imo, but it's a gamecube game so the gameplay wasn't made with Wii controls in mind, SS will fix that. I think SS is going to be the next 10-fest game from Nintendo.

Yeah I am aware that all of those games got high metascores, but hey I heavily disliked GTA4 that gotta count for something :p

Pretty good. Ive had more fun with NSMB than SMG1 to be honest.
Malta_1980

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 Malta_1980
Member since 2008 • 11890 Posts

it got a 10 cause the reviewer enjoyed the game... doesnt mean SMG2 is perfect, no game is...

Personally i think it deserves the high scores, i'd give it a 9.2/10 easily...

Keep in mind that reviews are opinions !!!

elcoholic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 elcoholic
Member since 2005 • 1197 Posts

IMO opinion it shouldn't have gotten a 10 either, more like 9.0.I had issues with the camera, mainly it being to far away. And I would have preffered playing it with a normal controller since I hate the thumbstick on the nunchuck. Alsoit got very repetitive for me and felt like a chore after world 3. I beat the last bowser and didn't even feel like going for the stars I missedor the extra ones. I got all stars in SMG but part 2 was just more of the same without the impact the first had on me. So for me it was actually a (slightly) worse game than 1.

Great game though but hardly perfect.

farnham

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 farnham
Member since 2003 • 21147 Posts

SMG 2 got 10 because Gamespot did not give SMG a 10 and regretted that dreadful decision afterwards

FACT!

ianuilliam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 ianuilliam
Member since 2006 • 4955 Posts

[QUOTE="jwhitmore12"]

Elian2530

*uses flamethrower to chase you out* :P I dont know man.. it's probably because it's the first true Mario sequel. They HAD to give that a 10. :)

What makes it a "true" sequel?

tutt3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 tutt3r
Member since 2005 • 2865 Posts

The opinions of TC are discredited and are not vaild facts. However the opinion of one man giving reviews is considered undeniable fact. lol the irony is so funny sometimes on SW

Espada12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 Espada12
Member since 2008 • 23247 Posts

Because Tom Mc Sheasaw Stevo_the_gamer's post in the hype thread and said you know what! I'm going to own him! lolol

EDIT: wrong reviewer lulz.

Filthybastrd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 Filthybastrd
Member since 2009 • 7124 Posts

It's at least as much of a 10 as MGS4 and GTA4.

Avatar image for deactivated-5b78379493e12
deactivated-5b78379493e12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#41 deactivated-5b78379493e12
Member since 2005 • 15625 Posts

Now that I've been playing it, I can say that it's a more well-rounded game. There is more variety, better level design, and it's more challenging. Since a 10 isn't meant to be perfect, I feel that this game deserves a 10. It has minor flaws, but you could say that about GTA4 or MGS4.

Everyone is welcome to their opinion of course, but don't expect to have yours taken more seriously than others. *coming from an unbiased gamer* None of us are unbiased gamers, not even the reviewers from GS.

VideoGameGuy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 VideoGameGuy
Member since 2002 • 7695 Posts
Go find a better platformer, not gonna happen. It's polished, it's inventive, it's technically sound, it plays perfect, it does everything that a game deserving a 10 should do. Stop complaining. I don't think MGS4 or GTA4 deserve anything close to a 10 but what are ya gonna do, right?
haziqonfire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#43 haziqonfire
Member since 2005 • 36390 Posts
The game is way too easy, thats the biggest issue with it.Diviniuz
It's feels easy because the camera isn't absolutely terrible like it was in Super Mario 64 and Super Mario Sunshine. Also, the last star is ridiculously challenging (242nd star). I also feel that no one can properly judge the game unless they've completed it 100% -- getting all 242 stars -- because some of them are really well done and hidden in neat areas.
It got a 10 simply because of the Mario name, if you were to keep the gameplay and replace the name and characters with something else, the game would have gotten an 8.5. It's sad really.Rockman999
Actually, quiet the opposite. Replace the game with any other character and it would still be absolutely brilliant.
kontejner44

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 kontejner44

[QUOTE="kontejner44"]

[QUOTE="lucky_star"] May i ask what is your Top 5 single player games if SMG2 is #1?lucky_star

Pretty good. Ive had more fun with NSMB than SMG1 to be honest.

I haven't played NSMBW yet :p Nintendo games are expensive ._.

Mogotoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#45 Mogotoo
Member since 2009 • 1826 Posts

It got because it's Mario + Nostalgia = Win!raskullibur
New Super Mario Bros. Wii, the ultimate Mario nostalgia trip, got an 8.5.

:|.

LegatoSkyheart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 1

#46 LegatoSkyheart
Member since 2009 • 29733 Posts

[QUOTE="raskullibur"]It got because it's Mario + Nostalgia = Win!Mogotoo

New Super Mario Bros. Wii, the ultimate Mario nostalgia trip, got an 8.5.

:|.

So Quite Obviously it's not because of Nostalgia that Super Mario Galaxy 2 got a 10.

Maybe it's because it really is a Good Game.

donalbane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#47 donalbane
Member since 2003 • 16383 Posts
There is a psychological phenomenon known as the 'mere ownership effect' that asserts that people will enjoy things more if they have elements that are familiar... in this case, Mario. People instantly think, "Mario... just like when I was a kid!". Plus, it was an innovative game. I didn't care for the first one, so I won't ever play the 2nd, but I do understand the Miyamoto appeal.
Avatar image for Stevo_the_gamer
Stevo_the_gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 49

#48 Stevo_the_gamer  Moderator
Member since 2004 • 49606 Posts

Because Tom Mc Sheasaw Stevo_the_gamer's post in the hype thread and said you know what! I'm going to own him! lolol

EDIT: wrong reviewer lulz.

Espada12
lulz. So, THAT's why it got AAAA....
Avatar image for Midnightshade29
Midnightshade29

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 301

#49 Midnightshade29
Member since 2008 • 6003 Posts
I agree tc, but you will not get these ninty Mario obsessed fans to agree. If smb2 was a 10 for perfecting platforming then the same should be true of the ratchet and clank future series that is majorly underrated here, especially tools of destruction. Don't get me started on that. Mario has been overrated for a long time.
KillerWabbit23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 KillerWabbit23
Member since 2009 • 3466 Posts

Because that's the guy's opinion. Or girl, whatever.

Taken on its own as a platformer, it's a pretty darn good game.

10 doesn't neccesarily mean perfect, (because no game is truly perfect), it just means that it got the highest score the reviewer could give it.