Why are people so uninformed about pc gaming?

• 101 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

cain006

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 38

User Lists: 0

#1 cain006
Member since 2008 • 8625 Posts

I don't know if it's like this everywhere (I sure hope it isn't), but at my school pretty much everyone plays on 360 or ps3, almost nobody on pc. I was talking with one of my friends and he said the following-

• PC's can't do hd
  • PC's have worse graphics than consoles
  • PC's have worse controls than consoles (this one's kind of a personal choice, but you can use a controller if you want to)
  • PC's are bad for FPS, and are only good for rpgs

I honestly couldn't believe that he actually thought these things, and was baffled. So how much do your friends know about pc gaming? I certainly hope more than my friend...

Avatar image for Raymundo_Manuel
Raymundo_Manuel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 Raymundo_Manuel
Member since 2010 • 4641 Posts

Basically every one of my friends is knowledgeable when it comes to PC gaming which is pretty awesome.

MonsieurX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 MonsieurX
Member since 2008 • 39858 Posts
Your friends are uninformed.
lundy86_4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#4 lundy86_4
Member since 2003 • 61534 Posts

Everybody has to be uninformed about something. We are not all this man...

Raymundo_Manuel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Raymundo_Manuel

Everybody has to be uninformed about something. We are not all this man...

lundy86_4

That show is so awful. It has the lamest jokes ever on tv :(

funsohng

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 funsohng
Member since 2005 • 29976 Posts
PC can't do HD :lol:
lx_theo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#7 lx_theo
Member since 2010 • 6211 Posts

Because they don't care. They have their preferences and come to random assumptions to defend the superiority of said preferences. Even to me the PC is secondary gaming device. A computer shouldn't be made for just that. if it was, itd... become a console. And no PC gamer wants that!

lundy86_4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 lundy86_4

That show is so awful. It has the lamest jokes ever on tv :(

Raymundo_Manuel

This is all I have to say to you...

Best... Show... Evvvvvaaaar!

----

In all seriousness it does have some bad jokes. I still love it though.

cain006

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 cain006

Good to see that this ignorance isn't common. I am still appalled that he said those things. He was actually a smart kid, so I was even more surprised.

funsohng

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 funsohng

[QUOTE="Raymundo_Manuel"]That show is so awful. It has the lamest jokes ever on tv :(

lundy86_4

----

really? i rarely find bad joke in this show. That's why I like it. Maybe I'm just too smart that I actually understand the jokes. :P
lundy86_4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 lundy86_4

really? i rarely find bad joke in this show. That's why I like it. Maybe I'm just too smart that I actually understand the jokes. :Pfunsohng

I've heard a couple, though I can't remember off the top of my head (i've been watching Season 1-3 back to back with my gf). The show's great, and Sheldon's character easily makes it around 1000x more interesting.

Good to see some modesty in your post :P

Lionheart08

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

#12 Lionheart08
Member since 2005 • 15814 Posts

I don't know if it's like this everywhere (I sure hope it isn't), but at my school pretty much everyone plays on 360 or ps3, almost nobody on pc. I was talking with one of my friends and he said the following-

• PC's can't do hd
  • PC's have worse controls than consoles (this one's kind of a personal choice, but you can use a controller if you want to)

I honestly couldn't believe that he actually thought these things, and was baffled. So how much do your friends know about pc gaming? I certainly hope more than my friend...

cain006

Quotes or it never happened. Seriously, "PC can't do HD." I doubt anybody has ever said that. :|

110million

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 110million
Member since 2008 • 14910 Posts
[QUOTE="lundy86_4"]

[QUOTE="Raymundo_Manuel"]That show is so awful. It has the lamest jokes ever on tv :(

funsohng

----

really? i rarely find bad joke in this show. That's why I like it. Maybe I'm just too smart that I actually understand the jokes. :P

I don't think intelligent is required to understand the show, I mean its made by the creators of 2 and a half men. :lol: I grinded through 1.5 seasons cause a bunch of my friends like it, but it never got good. :(
Raymundo_Manuel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Raymundo_Manuel

[QUOTE="lundy86_4"]

funsohng

----

I'm pretty certain that show has no smart jokes :(

Sky-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Sky-
Member since 2010 • 4682 Posts

• PC's can't do hd

cain006

Well, yes it is true a gaming PC can do those things...but I'm going to go out on a limb and say that the average PC is weaker than the PS3/360. After all, most PC's aren't gaming oriented in the first place.

To answer your question, some of my friends know that PC's can be a lot more powerful than the home consoles. But this one friend of mine...she thinks that Macs are more powerful and customizable than PC's, to which I responded, "lolmacs."

funsohng

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 funsohng

[QUOTE="funsohng"][QUOTE="lundy86_4"]

----

Raymundo_Manuel

I'm pretty certain that show has no smart jokes :(

:p after a linebreak means an obvious sarcasm but i do like the show. it's personal taste
cain006

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 cain006

[QUOTE="cain006"]

• PC's can't do hd

Lionheart08

Quotes or it never happened. Seriously, "PC can't do HD." I doubt anybody has ever said that. :|

We were in an argument about whether consoles or PC were better, and I said it has better graphics and he was like they can't even do hd.

Rage010101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Rage010101
Member since 2006 • 5470 Posts

[QUOTE="cain006"]

• PC's can't do hd

Lionheart08

actually ur wrong. a few years back there was an epic SW thread where some consolites thought pc couldnt do HD. its one of SW most hilarious threads. i hope someone tries to find and link it.

funsohng

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 funsohng

[QUOTE="cain006"]

• PC's can't do hd

Lionheart08

I remember a SW thread where a low level consolite fanboy actually said that and literally got stomped. but not sure which one it was
davidkamayor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 davidkamayor
Member since 2008 • 1642 Posts

cain006

Someone just told me that yesterday.

And none of these people know anything about gaming.

Heil68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Heil68
Member since 2004 • 60722 Posts
[QUOTE="funsohng"][QUOTE="lundy86_4"]This is all I have to say to you...Best... Show... Evvvvvaaaar!In all seriousness it does have some bad jokes. I still love it though.110million

I don't think intelligent is required to understand the show, I mean its made by the creators of 2 and a half men. :lol: I grinded through 1.5 seasons cause a bunch of my friends like it, but it never got good. :(

So you are basing intelligence and IQ of an individual solely on being a creator of a TV show? Oh and BTW those 2 shows prob make at least 110million for the networks..real dumb those guys are. :roll:
clr84651

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 clr84651
Member since 2010 • 5643 Posts

We're not! We only say PC can't do split screen and multiplayer 4-6p like PS3, doesn't have The Move, doesn't have the great PS3 exclusive games.

Kinthalis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#23 Kinthalis
Member since 2002 • 5503 Posts

Why are people so uninformed? The same reason people tend to be uninformed about most things. Ignorance is bliss. That and people are generally lazy. They won't take the time to learn about something unless it becomes crucial for them in some way.

Maroxad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Maroxad
Member since 2007 • 23998 Posts

It must be just your classmates then, but if you are offended about their ignorance then prove them wrong.

Lionheart08

I have bad news for you, someone ACTUALLY said that :? There was an old very sarcastic thread here named Facts that had a lot of things listed, basically a summary of all sorts of stupidity across this board.

There are some very ignorant people out there, but that does not mean we should stereotype all console gamers as being ignorant.

cain006

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 cain006

We're not! We only say PC can't do split screen and multiplayer 4-6p like PS3, doesn't have The Move, doesn't have the great PS3 exclusive games.

clr84651

Oh, I wasn't referring to you guys on the forums, for the most part, most console players on here know a decent amount about pcs, I was just asking about like your friends in real life.

Rage010101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Rage010101

clr84651

pcs can do split screen if they want to, developers choose not to

i cud just lan it up with other pcs if ur talking about local multiplayer? pc has a greater limit of players in most games (MAG being an exception, but suffers in graphical and latency performance compared to what u see on pc)

why wud i want move on pc? eventually someone will create an emulator anyway.

and consoles combined still cant beat pc exclusive list every year.

so whats ur point?

funsohng

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 funsohng

clr84651
but you can technically use Wiimote (and Move inevitably later on) to use it as a motion control then again, it requires extensive re-programming and etc.
110million

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 110million
[QUOTE="Heil68"][QUOTE="110million"][QUOTE="funsohng"] really? i rarely find bad joke in this show. That's why I like it. Maybe I'm just too smart that I actually understand the jokes. :P

So you are basing intelligence and IQ of an individual solely on being a creator of a TV show? Oh and BTW those 2 shows prob make at least 110million for the networks..real dumb those guys are. :roll:

Errr, no. I said I don't think you need to be smart to understand big bang theory. :| The two shows could be 110billion for all I care, also has nothing to do with them being unfunny.
Upparoom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Upparoom
Member since 2010 • 2111 Posts

You'd be suprised about how many people are uninformed about gaming in general. I've known people that have said MOH is a collaboration between IW and DICE. :?

amazon400

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 amazon400
Member since 2004 • 25 Posts

Are you still in high school? Most of the kids don't care about the detail of a technology. They just want something to be pluged-in and works.

rcignoni

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 rcignoni
Member since 2004 • 8863 Posts
Many people are. This is why I never discuss video games (it also saves me from sounding nerdy). It irks me hardcore when people spread false information like that though.
cain006

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 cain006

Many people are. This is why I never discuss video games (it also saves me from sounding nerdy). It irks me hardcore when people spread false information like that though.rcignoni

haha, yeah. I started calling him an idiot and he was wondering why I was so mad.

Kane04

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Kane04
Member since 2006 • 2115 Posts
I don't know if it's like this everywhere (I sure hope it isn't), but at my school pretty much everyone plays on 360 or ps3, almost nobody on pc.(...)cain006
Look at the bright side, by the time you get to collage everyone plays on PCs ;) Reason why folks at your school say that is because probably they don't have cool parents (that play games) so their parents aren't spending money on a gaming PC ence "it cant hold HD and the graphics are worst".
osan0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 osan0
Member since 2004 • 17882 Posts
there isnt a company spending the GDP fo a small country telling people whats going. while MS and co make a huge deal about facebook and netflix....the PC has already been there and done that but nobody knows because, at the end of the day, most publishers and devs do a dreaful job of promoting their games. f1 2010 looks to be getting a patch on the PC that will enhance performance and visuals (basically itll unlock DX11 mode). how many people know this?
Videodogg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 Videodogg
Member since 2002 • 12611 Posts

From my extended family and friends...i personally dont know a single soul who plays pc games. The ones who do play video games play on consoles, specifically Xbox360 and Wii. Also, just to note, of those people who have HDTV's, virtually none of them use blu ray for movies, only dvd and what ever is on HD on cable tv.

Like someone said earlier, most people just dont care about things like advanced pc gaming. They have a console and it plays games...end of story for them.

Avatar image for -ArchAngeL-777-
-ArchAngeL-777-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#36 -ArchAngeL-777-
Member since 2007 • 3840 Posts
That's just because they don't have gaming PCs. I personally find the consoles much better for most games. I like the setup and convenience of not having to hunt for patches, driver updates, etc. every time my setup changes. RTS and RPG I prefer on PC though.
110million

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 110million
That's just because they don't have gaming PCs. I personally find the consoles much better for most games. I like the setup and convenience of not having to hunt for patches, driver updates, etc. every time my setup changes. RTS and RPG I prefer on PC though.-ArchAngeL-777-
Its weird, I got a new videocard a few months ago and evertyhing ran by itself, do you think maybe a ghost turned on my computer at night and updated all the imaginary patches and driver updates by itself? :( I may need to look up the ghostbusters now.
Rage010101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 Rage010101

That's just because they don't have gaming PCs. I personally find the consoles much better for most games. I like the setup and convenience of not having to hunt for patches, driver updates, etc. every time my setup changes. RTS and RPG I prefer on PC though.-ArchAngeL-777-

sounds to me like u wud love and benefit from steam good sir

bigM10231

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#39 bigM10231
Member since 2008 • 11240 Posts

the people who dont care for pc gaming may not be informed. the pc may have a 1440p resolution max and have the ability to have 2 GPUs at the same time but millions cant afford to buy the stuff to make a high powered gaming pc so they choose a console instead. 700$ vs 300$ for a similar product. the answer is obvious

rzepak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 rzepak
Member since 2005 • 5758 Posts

Becouse learning something takes effort and thats something people dont want to do these days.

HavocV3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 HavocV3
Member since 2009 • 8068 Posts

a few of my friends used to play PC. MechWarrior is a PC series we can still relate to.

but they also consider it expensive. which I can't argue with. I think they're done with PC for good though.

topsemag55

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#42 topsemag55
Member since 2007 • 19063 Posts

Your friends might have entry-level PCs with integrated graphics, which cannot run any uber-games.

rzepak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 rzepak
Member since 2005 • 5758 Posts

the people who dont care for pc gaming may not be informed. the pc may have a 1440p resolution max and have the ability to have 2 GPUs at the same time but millions cant afford to buy the stuff to make a high powered gaming pc so they choose a console instead. 700$ vs 300$ for a similar product. the answer is obvious

bigM10231

After Reach and Madden 11 I will never complain about paying alot for a graphics card...the lack of AA has started to bother the hell out of me. Most people dont appreciate AA, but I say those people have not enjoyed seeing a perfectly smooth game.

JohnF111

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#44 JohnF111
Member since 2010 • 14190 Posts
Well definitely not the case with my mates, everyone knows the truth, i guess it's just that young people don't know PC's at all and just want consoles so thats all they care to update themselves on.
Iantheone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 Iantheone
Member since 2007 • 8242 Posts
Ive slowly been teaching them to correct their wrongs.
dontshackzmii

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#46 dontshackzmii
Member since 2009 • 6026 Posts

most people dont know / dont care about hardware . they use there pc for youtube and msn and nothing more .

Hakkai007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 Hakkai007
Member since 2005 • 4905 Posts

If you have friends that are uninformed about PC gaming just bring them over to your house and show them Crysis, Metro 2033, STALKER modded, Napoleon Total War, and much more.

For the added effect show them multiplat games that they have play on their consoles.

That should change their minds.

My friend bought a computer when I showed him my games. He still uses his consoles for exclusives but mainly games on his PC now.

Ultizer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 Ultizer
Member since 2010 • 1037 Posts

i like the how everyone thinks you need to upgrade them every year and it costs 1000's of dollars

for $200 bucks you can get a highend graphics card that can do DX11, so much more powerful then consoles, GTX 460 btw

PC hardware is getting cheaper every year, there is no such thing as a $5000 PC anymore

Hakkai007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 Hakkai007
Member since 2005 • 4905 Posts

i like the how everyone thinks you need to upgrade them every year and it costs 1000's of dollars

for $200 bucks you can get a highend graphics card that can do DX11, so much more powerful then consoles, GTX 460 btw

PC hardware is getting cheaper every year, there is no such thing as a $5000 PC anymore

Ultizer

Yah that 460gtx is around 9x the power of a console.

I have a 450USD PC that is 3x more powerful than a console.

DragonfireXZ95

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 DragonfireXZ95
Member since 2005 • 26652 Posts

Almost none of my friends that I've made at work knew that you could game on PC's. There were a couple who did, but not many.

I had to convert a few of them. They came over, I showed them my PC and the games, they immediately wanted a gaming PC after that. They came over to the dark side and rarely ever touch consoles anymore. :twisted: