Who messed up the most this Gen?

• 76 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

jharv

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 jharv
Member since 2007 • 1774 Posts

We all know the Wii got it right for the most part, so who between the PS3 and the Xbox 360 had the most flaws? PS3 for having such a high price with little software at launch (compared to others) releasing DS3 year and a half later at the cost of a game or the Xbox for having such high hardware failures... no support in Japan what so ever... Even though I own a PS3 I'm gonna have to go with them just because of such a lousy start, could've had a much MUCH better and effective launch but now it is starting to pick up steam.

jangojay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#2 jangojay
Member since 2007 • 4044 Posts

From a business stand point or gamer stand point?

Business I'd say sony but from gamer I'd say Wii.

The wii has shown that shovelware sells :S.

jharv

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 jharv
Member since 2007 • 1774 Posts

jangojay

Both really. I'd say the PS3 before the Wii. I mean I traded in my 360 (sick of RROD & Disk error issues) for the PS3 and really it's mostly lacking in exclusives (I know there's good ones but compared to Xbox) I couldn't of have imagine if I had it since launch.

nintendog66

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 nintendog66
Member since 2006 • 2300 Posts
IMO it's the PS3, I own one but I never saw so much failure in a gaming system on it's first months, specially coming from a HUGE name like Sony and the playstation brand. It's safe to say now that everything is ok. Though I can't say the same thing for the 360, hardware failures and lack of essential components inside(wireless, built-in high density disk format) plus Pay to play online really turns me away from it. That's why i got a PC:p
killab2oo5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 killab2oo5
Member since 2005 • 13621 Posts

Sony with the PS3. It was one problem after another,but it's about straightened out now...looks like it's all paying off.

lantus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#6 lantus
Member since 2006 • 10591 Posts
Probably PS3, it's first year was completely opposite of what I expected, high price point, software lineup was only half as good as promised, but I'm willing to forgive because Metal Gear Solid 4 is finally coming out! :)
thrones

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#7 thrones
Member since 2004 • 12178 Posts
Sony. Sorry, but you can't mess up more than being first and ending up last.
shadow_702

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 shadow_702
Member since 2003 • 788 Posts
Sony got way to Cocky spouting nonsense like 4D graphics and such and such doesn't anybody else wonder why two major people at Sony quit or (retired) in the past year its not really to hard to tell.
Airacomet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Airacomet
Member since 2004 • 7047 Posts

jangojay
No actually the PS2 proved shovelware sells, welcome to 2008.
Shazenab

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Shazenab
Member since 2004 • 3413 Posts
Both. Their focus on HD graphics may have been in line with the market, but all that power could have gone to making other graphical tricks.
darklord888

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 darklord888
Member since 2004 • 8382 Posts
PS3. Bad pre-launch, horrible launch and is still struggling to get some foothold. It's switched SKU's about a million times going from 20Gb, 40Gb, 60Gb, 80Gb then losing BC and even changing controllers and changing an insane amount for the new one($99? WTF?).
Yes it's selling better but its games line-up is still weak and things like Home are still not out.
darklord888

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 darklord888
Both. Their focus on HD graphics may have been in line with the market, but all that power could have gone to making other graphical tricks.Shazenab

Without HD, graphics look much worse. Why have all these great graphical tricks when you can't even view them properly?
fenwickhotmail

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#14 fenwickhotmail
Member since 2004 • 7308 Posts

Sony cause of their poor price points and lack of must haves.

I like how 360 has just as many votes without any explanations

fenwickhotmail

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#15 fenwickhotmail
Member since 2004 • 7308 Posts

killab2oo5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 killab2oo5

fenwickhotmail
...Those "cows" are coming back.
sexy_chimp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 sexy_chimp
Member since 2007 • 6457 Posts
[QUOTE="fenwickhotmail"]

killab2oo5

...Those "cows" are coming back.

Ever since 2008 this place became a ranch for cows.

Shazenab

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Shazenab
Member since 2004 • 3413 Posts

[QUOTE="Shazenab"]Both. Their focus on HD graphics may have been in line with the market, but all that power could have gone to making other graphical tricks.darklord888

Without HD, graphics look much worse. Why have all these great graphical tricks when you can't even view them properly?

Great SD graphics will look great, even if they are upsclaed. The best example to take is a dvd. A great film with amazing special effects looks just as good on a HDTV as it does on an SDTV. The whole resolution makes graphics better thing was something invented by gamers, because i'm not aware of any other fanbase pushing things as hard. Hell I'm willing to bet a lot of pc gamers dont mind turning down their resolution to make their games run smoother.

Airacomet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Airacomet
Member since 2004 • 7047 Posts
I'd say Sony simply because they completely dominated last gen and now...well...
Vandalvideo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#20 Vandalvideo
Member since 2003 • 39655 Posts
From a technical standpoint: Microsoft with the lowsy hardware From a business standpoint: Sony for failing to secure a bunch of third party exclusives which made the PS2 so popular. No games no fame.
Head_of_games

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Head_of_games
Member since 2007 • 10859 Posts

IMO that would be Sony, as they put to much time and money into making the PS3 do things besides playing games. Now it's much more expensive then it would have been if it had just been a game station.

darklord888

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 darklord888

[QUOTE="darklord888"][QUOTE="Shazenab"]Both. Their focus on HD graphics may have been in line with the market, but all that power could have gone to making other graphical tricks.Shazenab

Great SD graphics will look great, even if they are upsclaed. The best example to take is a dvd. A great film with amazing special effects looks just as good on a HDTV as it does on an SDTV. The whole resolution makes graphics better thing was something invented by gamers, because i'm not aware of any other fanbase pushing things as hard. Hell I'm willing to bet a lot of pc gamers dont mind turning down their resolution to make their games run smoother.

I am a PC gamer and no I don't mind dropping the resolution in some games. Diablo 2 you have to play on 800x600 but it's so old there is no detail to show. If you played any currect game under 1024x768 it would look horrible with a lot less detail. HD graphics help games a lot and seeing as PC has had it for the like 10 years it's about time consoles caught up.

And coming from a person who started off playing their 360 on an SDTV and upgrading to a 22" LCD monitor it looks a lot, LOT better. Even in games like gears of war.
GazzaB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

#23 GazzaB
Member since 2004 • 27139 Posts

Microsoft for releasing such as badly designed console. Sort it out!

Sony for releasing a console thinking everyone would buy it solely on the fact that its predecessors were so popular. Where are the games!?

Nintendo for releasing a console who's online component is a joke.

killab2oo5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 killab2oo5

[QUOTE="darklord888"][QUOTE="Shazenab"]Both. Their focus on HD graphics may have been in line with the market, but all that power could have gone to making other graphical tricks.Shazenab

Agreed. Games would look amazingly good on the current-gen hardware if the graphics standard was still SD and games would be a lot cheaper to make. Last gen consoles produced amazing graphics with games like Ninja Gaiden,Rogue Leader (w/e that Gamecube game by Level 5 is),God of War 1 and 2,SC:Chaos Theory...etc.,just imagine what the current gen consoles could be doing at 480p.
Nova_Mongoose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#25 Nova_Mongoose
Member since 2004 • 2261 Posts
Without a fair poll I refuse to have my vote counted.
TepicPlug

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 TepicPlug
Member since 2007 • 79 Posts

Sony without a doubt for me. The PS3 was WAY to expensive and Sony had the worst attitude I have ever seen. Now that the PS3 is at a much more sensible price point I can see things getting a lot better for them.

Abstract_Choas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#27 Abstract_Choas
Member since 2008 • 466 Posts
From a hardware standpoint 360, simply because of the RROD. The PS3 price was justified, with all the tech jammed into it. but people didn't want to buy into it if Blu-ray wasn't going to be the standard format. So i would say PS took a huge risk putting Blu-ray into their system. but luckily for them it seemed to all have worked out.
blackeneddeath

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 blackeneddeath
Member since 2008 • 930 Posts
well... i would have to say last year sony by far, but now things are getting fixed. For 2008 i would have to say 360, though they have somewhat attempted to fix the rrod it is still a problem. But nothing was really as bad as sony's cockiness going into this gen.
TepicPlug

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 TepicPlug
Member since 2007 • 79 Posts
@Abstract_Choas : I wasn't interested in Blu-ray at all. Now I have a PS3 I firmly believe Sony were right to include it, it was a huge risk however.
KungfuKitten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

#30 KungfuKitten
Member since 2006 • 27389 Posts
So far?
Well nintendo made a really slowwww start in terms of games and features that interest the hardcore gamer (i hate this term don't we have another word for this? involved gamer? lifestyIe gamer? anything?). Sony too but they started out with proper online i guess. (Wasn't there to see it.)

Sony and Microsofts BC offering went a bit choppy, and unreliable. Some Sku's support it, some don't. Some games used to work, some didn't. Have these issues been resolved by now or are they still there?
Their prices were outrageous though sold at a loss apparently.
And then not all games turned out to be the desired resolution, according to system wars.
RROD popped up, and is just one of the many hardware issues with the variety of SKU's. Not fixing them is pretty bad (i mean before selling them). There's the Core without HDD which many think was a bad move. The price of certain accesories. Microsoft didn't really **** up as often as Sony did (if my memory's ok) but when they did they did it proper.

The only thing i can really blame nintendo for, is for having such a slowwww start. Maybe You can think of some more things. My vote for now goes to M$.
Vectah_Sigma

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Vectah_Sigma
Member since 2007 • 1104 Posts
I would have to say the 360 because all of the failed attempts to fix the RROD. Yeah, it might have a ton of games, but what good are they, when you cant play them?
haziqonfire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#32 haziqonfire
Member since 2005 • 36390 Posts
Sony.

Thinking that 120 Million PS2 users are going to be brand loyal is just stupid.
alia999

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 alia999
Member since 2005 • 1353 Posts
i dont think theres much argument on this one. console wars are won by: a) sales, b) general fan consensus(opinion). i think both are now geared against the PS3, going from domination to where sony are now is actually quite the difficult feat. it was sorta like suicide, the were drunk on there own success and started spewing **** out like '4D', I was watching live when they first revealed the price point and i remember just how the PS3 fell in everyones eyes... not to say its that bad- with MGS4 and FF13,,.
Lyphe2k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 Lyphe2k
Member since 2007 • 3385 Posts
It is a little early but my vote goes to the Wii. Big mistake focusing their attention on casual and non-gamers. Maybe it'll pay off in 3 years but the Wii is crap right now. There are easily less than 10 titles worth purchasing (of course sheeps will name down 60 but they'd be including crappy games and VC). Sooooorrryyy Nintendo.
Tykain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 Tykain
Member since 2008 • 3887 Posts
360 due to RROD.
DementedDragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 DementedDragon
Member since 2003 • 5095 Posts

All three have their problems, one doesn't necessarily overtake the other:

Nintendowith their continuing lack of third party support

Microsoftwith their hardware woes be it the HD-DVD add-on or defective units

Sonywith their slow console sales, and difficulty obtaining exlusives

Makari

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 Makari
Member since 2003 • 15250 Posts
I'd say Sony, too. If it was anybody other than Sony doing everything they did with the PS3 at that point in time, the console would have ended up dead in the water. I think it survived long enough to pay off largely because of the brand name.
Avatar image for Tragic_Kingdom7
Tragic_Kingdom7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 Tragic_Kingdom7
Member since 2008 • 4011 Posts

From a business standpoint, Sony screwed up the worst. That was a nasty fall from grace.

From a games library standpoint, I'd say Nintendo. Their game library is the worst I've ever seen.

From a quality standpoint, Microsoft scewed up the worst. The Xbox360 is one horribly designed console. The parts don't seem to work well together.

Overall, probably Sony.

Ewok432

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 Ewok432
Member since 2006 • 425 Posts

It is a little early but my vote goes to the Wii. Big mistake focusing their attention on casual and non-gamers. Maybe it'll pay off in 3 years but the Wii is crap right now. There are easily less than 10 titles worth purchasing (of course sheeps will name down 60 but they'd be including crappy games and VC). Sooooorrryyy Nintendo.Lyphe2k

SMG
SSBB
MP3:C
LoZ:TP
Zak & Wiki
RE4
Super Paper Mario
Mario Srikers Charged
No More Heroes
Bully
Pro Evolution 08
The Godfather

so which of these are crappy? cause i dont see any vc games.

beerm_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 beerm_basic
Member since 2002 • 2488 Posts

360 due to RROD.Tykain

agreed

and also MS for not solving the RROD problem after over 2 years since release

Tragic_Kingdom7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 Tragic_Kingdom7

[QUOTE="Lyphe2k"]It is a little early but my vote goes to the Wii. Big mistake focusing their attention on casual and non-gamers. Maybe it'll pay off in 3 years but the Wii is crap right now. There are easily less than 10 titles worth purchasing (of course sheeps will name down 60 but they'd be including crappy games and VC). Sooooorrryyy Nintendo.Ewok432

SMG
SSBB
Zak & Wiki
RE4
Super Paper Mario
Mario Srikers Charged
No More Heroes
Bully
Pro Evolution 08
The Godfather

I think his post was hyperbole, but the point was that the Wii's game library blows overall.

3 of the best Wii games are GC/PS2 ports.

Ontain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#42 Ontain
Member since 2005 • 25501 Posts

jangojay

all consoles have shown that. do you have selective memory of the titles that the ps1 and ps2 put out?

skektek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#43 skektek
Member since 2004 • 6530 Posts
Sony. Sorry, but you can't mess up more than being first and ending up last.thrones
That is a rather short-sighted comment, don't you think? The PS3 has only been out in all territories for just over a year, worst case scenerio it is only 25% through it's life span. It is way too early in this generation to state where any particular console has "ended up".
Ewok432

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 Ewok432
[QUOTE="Ewok432"]

[QUOTE="Lyphe2k"]It is a little early but my vote goes to the Wii. Big mistake focusing their attention on casual and non-gamers. Maybe it'll pay off in 3 years but the Wii is crap right now. There are easily less than 10 titles worth purchasing (of course sheeps will name down 60 but they'd be including crappy games and VC). Sooooorrryyy Nintendo.Tragic_Kingdom7

SMG
SSBB
Zak & Wiki
RE4
Super Paper Mario
Mario Srikers Charged
No More Heroes
Bully
Pro Evolution 08
The Godfather

I think his post was hyperbole, but the point was that the Wii's game library blows overall.

soo being able to play 5 of gamerankings top 10 games= bad library? im sorry i just cannot agree with that.

KungfuKitten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

#45 KungfuKitten
Member since 2006 • 27389 Posts
[QUOTE="thrones"]Sony. Sorry, but you can't mess up more than being first and ending up last.skektek
That is a rather short-sighted comment, don't you think? The PS3 has only been out in all territories for just over a year, worst case scenerio it is only 25% through it's life span. It is way too early in this generation to state where any particular console has "ended up".

True, and like the wii it's a slow starting console unlike the 360.
It's way too early. I mean hardcore wise.
Tragic_Kingdom7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 Tragic_Kingdom7
[QUOTE="Tragic_Kingdom7"][QUOTE="Ewok432"]

[QUOTE="Lyphe2k"]It is a little early but my vote goes to the Wii. Big mistake focusing their attention on casual and non-gamers. Maybe it'll pay off in 3 years but the Wii is crap right now. There are easily less than 10 titles worth purchasing (of course sheeps will name down 60 but they'd be including crappy games and VC). Sooooorrryyy Nintendo.Ewok432

SMG
SSBB
Zak & Wiki
RE4
Super Paper Mario
Mario Srikers Charged
No More Heroes
Bully
Pro Evolution 08
The Godfather

soo being able to play 5 of gamerankings top 10 games= bad library? im sorry i just cannot agree with that.

This is a stupid argument.

You have to look at the entire picture. A library with a few killer titles and an overwhelming amount of crap is indeed a bad library.

When you speak of a "library" you can't look at it with tunnel vision, you have to be all-encompassing.

Ewok432

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 Ewok432
no all i have to look at is what i own and what i am going to own, thats as far as the wii's library goes for me. none of those other games matter. shure some might be sleeper hits and acutally be fun but idc i play what i am interested in, and thats why i own a wii and not a 360 or ps3.
girlpowerz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 girlpowerz
Member since 2008 • 492 Posts

I say Microsoft, but Sony has been a bit dissappointing as well.

Microsoft

1. Faulty hardware.

2. Paying for online service.

3. Games don't really appeal to other genres. I mostly hear about shooters for the 360 rather than games of which benefits people who don't really like shooters.

Sony

1. Losing exclusives. I wish they had fought even harder to keep their exclusives.

2. Slow beginnings.

But despite that, Sony is making up for their mistakes. I don't see Microsoft doing that, for the most part.

Waffle_Fish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#49 Waffle_Fish
Member since 2008 • 2074 Posts
Sony, had they just made their console cheap they would of stayed on top. They should of realized that a $200 price difference would be a big deal
bobaban

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 bobaban
Member since 2005 • 10560 Posts

I say Microsoft, but Sony has been a bit dissappointing as well.

Microsoft

1. Faulty hardware.

2. Paying for online service.

3. Games don't really appeal to other genres. I mostly hear about shooters for the 360 rather than games of which benefits people who don't really like shooters.

Sony

1. Losing exclusives. I wish they had fought even harder to keep their exclusives.

2. Slow beginnings.

But despite that, Sony is making up for their mistakes. I don't see Microsoft doing that, for the most part.

girlpowerz

Just to add more to MS - Taking out a standard HDD, supporting HDDVD, and sticking with the old DVD9 format as well. Sony may have had a bad start but they certainly made better sales than the 360 worldwide.