Who finds himself loving VG more despite getting older

• 76 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

PSP107

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#51  Edited By PSP107
Member since 2007 • 18811 Posts

@TheEroica:

Thanks for the clear up on the birth thing. And yes I agree that companies in the old days put more effort into making the best game they can.

TheEroica

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#52  Edited By TheEroica  Moderator
Member since 2009 • 22862 Posts

@PSP107: Sure, I'd love to see gamers take the hobby back to an extent. More critical spending to start, but I'm no one to be telling someone how to spend their money.

Chutebox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#53 Chutebox
Member since 2007 • 50633 Posts

Nope. Been buying less games and finding myself interested in less games.

finalfantasy94

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#54  Edited By finalfantasy94
Member since 2004 • 27442 Posts

im pretty much going to be gamer till im buried. I havent stop since I was a kid with my atari and will keep on going.

Chutebox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#55 Chutebox
Member since 2007 • 50633 Posts

@jg4xchamp: That was terrible. Honestly was hard to watch

Avatar image for deactivated-594be627b82ba
deactivated-594be627b82ba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

#56 deactivated-594be627b82ba
Member since 2006 • 8405 Posts

Not for me, I read and talk about gaming more than I play it. I have been gaming for 22 years and 1 day and its been a couple of years that I find most game I play to be dull. Don't get me wrong there is always that game out of nowhere that make me glad I'm still a gamer.

jg4xchamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#57 jg4xchamp
Member since 2006 • 64040 Posts

@Chutebox said:

Lol i know, I find it amusing for how fucking shitty it is. Imagine it chute, someone legit said all this shit, and meant it. No jokes, no troll, was honest.

cainetao11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 77

User Lists: 1

#58  Edited By cainetao11
Member since 2006 • 38036 Posts

@Salt_The_Fries said:

I'm pushing thirty, got a baby coming in a month and a half, I work 1.5x normal teacher does here yet I still do all the chores, don't neglect my wife in the slightest and have a decent amount of time to play video games, and what's more I LOVE IT more than ever despite games not necessarily getting better. And to think that 4 years ago I was considering giving up on gaming altogether. By the way - tell you what the catalyst was. Last year I was writing my master's thesis which annihilated my gaming completely, and I had accumulated such a backlog that I devoured one game after another in no time and I thought this was just a temporary feeling but it remained.

Yeah, yeah, I know what you'll say - blog it - I don't care. Massive props to all working adults with families who are not only not ashamed but proud of their hobbies.

Anyone else found himself loving video games more than ever despite not getting any younger?

Oh wow my friend, congrats!!! 90 days until being a Dad? You and your family are in my spiritual prayers brother. I am one like you. I was always a very athletic guy, so I played sports (hockey, American football, martial arts) in my life. Since injuring my hip, left arm and abdominal surgery in the US Army not so much. My gaming increased at first, but then I got into college with my GI BIll and school takes most of my time. But I love gaming. I love gameplay and the story telling aspect. I find it funny how so many say gaming stories are trash, and worse they cant link me to any story they, themselves have created or had published. I like this medium and enjoy the stories. I don't expect Shakespeare or even Sam Shepard but they're better than what I have done.

Cloud_imperium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 103

User Lists: 8

#59 Cloud_imperium
Member since 2013 • 15146 Posts

I am loving video games more now than ever before but at the same time it is getting harder to impress me.

Salt_The_Fries

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#60 Salt_The_Fries
Member since 2008 • 12480 Posts

@cainetao11 Less than 45 days actually, the date is set for Feb 11 and might even be pushed forward to Jan 29.

Salt_The_Fries

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#61 Salt_The_Fries
Member since 2008 • 12480 Posts

@cainetao11 Less than 45 days actually, the date is set for Feb 11 and might even be pushed forward to Jan 29.

cainetao11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 77

User Lists: 1

#62 cainetao11
Member since 2006 • 38036 Posts

@Salt_The_Fries said:

I am drunk, and for that reason a month and half = an hour and half numerically. LOL

Avatar image for deactivated-583e460ca986b
deactivated-583e460ca986b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#63 deactivated-583e460ca986b
Member since 2004 • 7240 Posts

So I turned 31 this year and my wife and I had our first child.

Video gaming has been my hobby since I first saw Super Mario Bros when I was 3 years old. I now own most of the consoles between the NES and the PS4. Today, for example, I played a ton of Bubble Bobble, Paper Boy and Hogan's Alley with my wife, while my 2 1/2 month old baby watched in excitement. (at least that is what it looked like to us) Now that they went to sleep I am playing some Virtual Boys games while waiting for Shadow of Mordor to download on the PC. And then I will play some Pokemon, Alpha Sapphire while laying in bed.

That is unless the baby wakes up of course....

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#64 lamprey263
Member since 2006 • 44642 Posts

As I've aged there's been advantages to enjoying gaming that have gotten better, like an expendable income, to get what I want when I want it (considering I can afford it). But besides that, games are getting better both creatively and technically. I can imagine when men our age get to their golden years they're not just going to sit around reading the newspaper bitching about how the world is going to hell, we'll be online making teenagers cry when they're totally getting owned and trashed talked by old men with liver spots.

zassimick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 142

User Lists: 2

#65 zassimick  Moderator
Member since 2004 • 10470 Posts

My brief background on gaming:

My first system was the NES when I was really young. Played Super Mario Bros 3 with my parents, and it was the first game I beat at the ripe old age of 3. Skipped a generation, then got into the PSone and N64 days. I only had the Playstation, but I enjoyed Tomb Raider and Tony Hawk's Pro Skater and WWE Smackdown, Crash Team Racing and Final Fantasy VII. But I never really got into gaming that much. I played games but it was just a passing thing.

It was when I got my PS2 that things changed. And my Xbox. And then my Gamecube. That was when 3D games started feeling like solid games. We got epics like Wind Waker, God of War, Final Fantasy X, Fable, Halo, and Metroid Prime. So many great games that came out. Tony Hawk's Underground, Need for Speed Underground, Resident Evil 4, Prince of Persia, so many others. This was it. I started researching games online, and I had to buy whatever I could; play whatever I could. It was also the gen where some of my favorite games released: Kingdom Hearts 2, Final Fantasy XII, The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess, Super Smash Bros Melee, and Halo 2.

Last gen built upon that foundation. It didn't do too much new for me, but it refined a lot of games even more. And because I came in right at the beginning of the gen with all the knowledge of hyped games and all that jazz, I stayed even more up to date with gaming. Playing even more of every console's library. But I soon realized that there were too many games, good games, releasing and I was missing out on them. And then I started to see that I was spending money and time on a lot of the mediocre crap that I ended up not really caring for.

Flash forward to today. I love gaming just as much as I have before. It's a real passion. But my tastes have grown more refined, and I have become a lot more strict with myself on what I should spend my time and money on as I have plenty of other things to do. So I don't buy nearly as much anymore and I miss out on a ton, but I think it's okay. I'm not gonna waste my time on bad games or hard games, but games that I can have fun with and enjoy. And that's okay.

I've become a casual, a filthy casual, but one that loves the industry and the games in it.

jsmoke03

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#66 jsmoke03
Member since 2004 • 13717 Posts

yea i love and enjoy gaming now more than when i was younger. Sure i played mario games and got addicted to tony hawk, but i played gaming casually. It wasnt until after highschool, i think when i turned 21 that i started getting into games more often. 2004 is when i think i became a hard core gamer. I got a 2nd console and went from 15 games to 115 games in one year lol.

now its a full blown passion. I enjoy games now a lot more...

dxmcat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#67  Edited By dxmcat
Member since 2007 • 3385 Posts

Just past 30. Been a PC gamer my whole life, got away from it for 10 years to pursue an action sports career. That recently fell apart so back to working a boring job and having fun back with PC games. Just upgraded my system, hopefully new video card next month. Still just a big Quake & Payday 2 player, with some SC2 on the side. Have had zero interested in any of the console offerings.

ConanTheStoner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#68 ConanTheStoner
Member since 2011 • 23719 Posts
@jg4xchamp said:

@Chutebox said:

Lol i know, I find it amusing for how fucking shitty it is. Imagine it chute, someone legit said all this shit, and meant it. No jokes, no troll, was honest.

When you posted it the other day, I gave it a watch and mostly thought the dude was actually serious(ly pathetic)... the part about his virginity though, I mean WHAT THE **** BRO? I find it hard to believe... scratch that, I don't want to believe anyone can be that much of a twat.

I've known some straight up losers in my time, but that shit is off the fucking charts.

GreySeal9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 41

#69 GreySeal9
Member since 2010 • 28247 Posts

@Chutebox said:

I enjoyed it. Shit was hilarious.

MikeHockbourns

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#70 MikeHockbourns
Member since 2014 • 754 Posts

@Salt_The_Fries said:

I'm pushing thirty, got a baby coming in a month and a half, I work 1.5x normal teacher does here yet I still do all the chores, don't neglect my wife in the slightest and have a decent amount of time to play video games, and what's more I LOVE IT more than ever despite games not necessarily getting better. And to think that 4 years ago I was considering giving up on gaming altogether. By the way - tell you what the catalyst was. Last year I was writing my master's thesis which annihilated my gaming completely, and I had accumulated such a backlog that I devoured one game after another in no time and I thought this was just a temporary feeling but it remained.

Yeah, yeah, I know what you'll say - blog it - I don't care. Massive props to all working adults with families who are not only not ashamed but proud of their hobbies.

Anyone else found himself loving video games more than ever despite not getting any younger?

I only feel that way toward Nintendo games nowadays.

Avatar image for deactivated-57ad0e5285d73
deactivated-57ad0e5285d73

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#71 deactivated-57ad0e5285d73
Member since 2009 • 21398 Posts

I'm not going to go too in depth other than saying that what I have realized as I've gotten older is that Nintendo is the most mature product out there. They stick to the essence of the video "game." Nothing touches their design philosophy. All these fanboys stating crap like "they recycle mario too much" when that isn't even what the game is about. Mario is used because people love mario, but the games would still be good if it was a piece of shit bouncing around the screen. Nintendo has a level of player/control/visual immersion that no other developer has reached, imo.

FoxbatAlpha

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#72 FoxbatAlpha
Member since 2009 • 10669 Posts

I am 38 and have had every major game system since Atari and Colecovision.

I even had a ADAM and Commodore 64 in the PC realm.

I have a full time job and family which leaves little time for gaming. With the holidays here I had almost zero time. Plus, I am a hobby whore. There is always something I am getting into or starting. This cuts into my game time too. My latest venture is metal detecting (old **** hobby) but even when I'm not gaming I am usually talking or thinking about it.

Mercenary848

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#73 Mercenary848
Member since 2007 • 12141 Posts

It depends on the game and how much time I have for me, but I stilllove gaming.

Boddicker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#74 Boddicker
Member since 2012 • 4458 Posts

@darklight4 said:

@Boddicker said:

I'm 34 and as I have aged the steps backwards in gameplay from the 90's become more and more glaringly apparent with every console gen. PC has suffered slightly, but not anywhere to the degree that consoles have. For private reasons I don't ever want to go back to PC gaming (I was a primarily a PC gamer in the 90's).

I got Shadow Warrior and Metro Redux as gifts for the PS4 I just got a week or two ago. I guess I'm suffering from FPS exhaustion as I find myself playing The Binding of Isaac: Rebirth alot more than either of these 2 games.

All I want is a vague release date for XCOM2. Firaxis employee interviews have all but confirmed they're working on it. I'm willing to forgive Firaxis for releasing the still broken XCOM: Enemy Within.

They're making xcom 2, well add another to the list. Any news on whats new?

Unfortunately not. This is coming from vague admissions in interviews of Firaxis. Nothing is official.

Though one can assume they're atleast tossing around ideas right now. I would like an official announcement in 2015 and expect it to drop Q4 2016 at the earliest.

PapaTrop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#76 PapaTrop
Member since 2014 • 1792 Posts

Not exactly.

I have found myself playing them for different reasons as I've gotten older though. I'm a fan of tight gameplay mechanics, unique ideas, and more-engaging storytelling ideas. I've gravitated to the PC for these reasons (and Nintendo in some cases) since that's what they provide.

King_Dodongo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#77 King_Dodongo
Member since 2006 • 3759 Posts

I think I love them even more nowadays. :)

Avatar image for deactivated-57d307c5efcda
deactivated-57d307c5efcda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#78 deactivated-57d307c5efcda
Member since 2009 • 1302 Posts

Absolutely. I'm pushing 27 here in 2 months and I play tons of games. Me now vs. the me in high school, I play a much wider variety of games. I have a huge backlog of games that I need to play and am never bored of games. Just finished a 140 hour Dragon Age Inquisition playthrough, played through a full playthrough DA:O and DA:II before it released as well (and I have played origins around 5 times total and DAII about twice beforehand. I'm currently playing Halo: Master Collection, Bayonetta and 2, Smash Bros and started another character in DA:I. I would take half a page to list my backlog between consoles and steam so I won't, but I game just as much. By owning all consoles and a PC, my wife plays games while I do as I hook up the small 32" TV for her and shes playing Captain Toad, Assassins Creed, Kingdom Hearts while I play my games.

I still play a huge amount of RPG's, but now I pretty much play every genre except sports (racing excluded, I love Forza). Got GTA V for Christmas (haven't really played a GTA game before other than a bit of 4).

I think people saying there are no games on the X1 and PS4 are crazy as I have about 20 between the two and have gotten much use out of them. I find I don't criticize games as much and just enjoy them for what they are. Every game is it's own and I don't want exact repeats of old games (im mixed, I personally feel DA:I feels like a next gen RPG (something old and new in the combat, and not a rehash of the past, but when the next zelda game comes out I want it to control like Ocarina, Wind Waker and Twilight Princess (GC Version).

Overall I play more games and enjoy them for what they are more. I just picked up a Razer Atrox and Killer Instinct Season 2, pre-ordered DOA5: Last Stand and Mortal Kombat X and plan on getting some more fighting games in too. Personally this a great time to be a gamer, I revisit old classics and enjoy the present.

I feel alot of gamers on these forums miss out on so many games due to stupid things. Like sticking way to much to the past, sticking to one platform, being unwilling to try something new and enjoy it, being just way to critical and not enjoying what the game has to offer. It's hard for me to label a worst game as I find something redeeming about most.