Which RP Game/series is the prime example of video games RPGs?

• 55 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Darsander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 Darsander
Member since 2010 • 154 Posts
Sorry about the weird title but I couldn't think of a better way to write it. Let's get a couple of things out of the way; role playing by itself is just like 'playing pretend' with our friends when we were little kids. Games such as Dungeon of Dragons added a bunch of rules to role playing and made it a game, hence they're called 'Role Play Games'. And despite what RPG purist argue; a computer game could never match the level of freedom and openness of pen and paper games made, controlled, and ruled by total human players and a human dungeon master. Even if your favorite RPG title/series was not listed just choose the one closest like it. Give a reason why and if you can, give a reason why the others are wrong. I'll start. Dragon Age: These games try to become most like the pen and paper games as possible. And despite what I said about computer games never going to be able to match the freedom of DnD, that doesn't mean they;re the prime example of what computer and video games RPGs should at least strive to be like. As I have said RPGs is playing pretend with rules attached so you could win or lose at it like a true game. If you're given a character with a set story, set abilities, and set goals/desires, it is not a true Role Playing Game. Final Fantasy: Usually viewed as the complete opposite kind of RPG as the above. The fanboys of this and the above genre are arch enemies. Also I chose the above this kind of RPG has its place. There are very little or no choices, or at least no choices that could alter the path of the game. It is mainly focus of giving you an epic movie like experience. Diablo: They take out story and freedom and just leave you with the action. These have their place too. I still call games like Devil May Cry 'hack and slash games' but the genre name was already taken; there were pen and paper RPGers who made house rules to set the story as far to the side as possible so they could focus on just killing stuff. This is the RPG genre for the munchkins who abuse any gameplay mechanics openly they can to have the most powerful characters possible and could give a rat's ass about giving reasons or motives behind their actions, the dungeon crawler/action RPGs like Diablo was literally made for them. The Elder Scrolls: These games combine Action Adventure with RPGs. And although they're pretty epic, I just don't think they work. I have played Morrowind and I hated the gameplay and found the combat to be terrible. I believe I have stated this before but hit/miss RNGs just don't belong in action games in my humble opinion. Then Oblivion flip flops this; they make the combat like an action game but they ruined everything else (again IMHO). I just can't see a gaming mixing both in a way to make both types of fans happy. For the sake of accurate poll results I decided not to put an 'other' option. There are several other genres to cover such as tactical/strategic RPGs, MMORPGs, and others and I only had one space left. Knowing most of the people here most people would vote other and say "Diablo 2". Don't deny it, half of you probably voted before reading this... :P
ActicEdge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 ActicEdge
Member since 2008 • 24492 Posts

I don't think you can have a prime example. They all set out to do different things really.

locopatho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 locopatho
Member since 2003 • 24259 Posts
O I think Bioware do the best. Baldur's Gate, Dragon Age and Mass Effect series especially. Just masterpiece games, tons of characters and choices and ways to effect the world/story. They are the king of RPGs imo.
a_simple_gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 a_simple_gamer
Member since 2010 • 1338 Posts

Dragon Age is not generic like Obliivon, not linear and turn based like FFs and not juyst a loot game like Diablo/Demon Soul

So, Dragon Age would be close to the ideal RPG

Fable 2 comes first though, since has all Dragon Age perks and a huge simulation aspect

Mass Effect 2 is also as good or better

Fable 3 will be far above anything imo

Gothic 1-2, Arx Fatalis were some amazing RPGs with those perks too far back

thespywholied

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#5 thespywholied
Member since 2008 • 3358 Posts

Dragon Age is not generic like Obliivon, not linear and turn based like FFs and not juyst a loot game lie Diablo/Demon Soul

Fable 2 comes first though, since has all Dragon Age perks and a huge simulation aspect

a_simple_gamer

Fable 2 best RPG...?

Opinions i guess. Fable was Linear as hell for me.

a_simple_gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 a_simple_gamer

[QUOTE="a_simple_gamer"]

Dragon Age is not generic like Obliivon, not linear and turn based like FFs and not juyst a loot game lie Diablo/Demon Soul

thespywholied

Fable 2 best RPG...?

Opinions i guess. Fable was Linear as hell for me.

It is between Fable 2 and Mass Effect 2 so far imo

Fable 3 will conquer anything i suppose

I dont get it, Fable is one of the less linear gamesi have ever played, you can go anywhere and do just about anything, even change the world

If you mean the story, well, all stories are linear, otherwise would not be stories but separate quests

DarthJohnova

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#7 DarthJohnova
Member since 2010 • 4599 Posts

As much as i enjoyed Fable 2, it was disgusting compared to the first one...

a_simple_gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 a_simple_gamer

DarthJohnova

In some ways it was, in some others was better

Fable 3 will be the best of both though, takes eberything the extra step that ws needed to be amazing

Fable 2 was a simulation/adventure/RPG, Fable 3 adds a strategy part with the ruling kingdoms and followers aspect, that was so much missing

Now is close to my dream RPG

Darsander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Darsander
Fable would fit under The Elder Scrolls, they combine Action Adventure with RPG. In Fable; the player's skill plays a major role in what they do. In a true RPG all success and failure should be based on the skills of the character you're playing.
razgriz_101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 razgriz_101
Member since 2007 • 16875 Posts

tbh a few prime examples are pretty old now imo.Fallout 1 and 2 still hold their own against most modern day RPGs,also going back to last gen Morrowind isa prime example of why oblivion needed more depth in the sense of skills and character building.

Another one imo for the impact its had on pop culture and the whole gaming crowd at large whether you like it or not would be FFVII.

Also on the JRPG front Grandia deserves a notable mention it was so fun,didnt take itself overly serious and was a pure joy to play.I miss that game hurry up and give me a DL version on EU PSN :(

locopatho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 locopatho

[QUOTE="a_simple_gamer"]

[QUOTE="DarthJohnova"]

loadedboon

Fable 3 will be the best of both though, takes eberything the extra step that ws needed to be amazing

Fable 2 was a simulation/adventure/RPG, Fable 3 adds a strategy part with the ruling kingdoms and followers aspect, that was so much missing

Calling Fable an RPG is just :lol:"

Calling Dragon Age and Mass Effect 2 not linear is just :lol:

go play a real PC RPG before you open your mouth and spill out nonsense

Um I'm playing Mass Effect 2 right now, I'm on board a ship, can fly all over the galaxy to many different systems/planets, have a journal full of main quests and a bunch of minor ones too... Can do them in any order, seems pretty non linear to me.
loadedboon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 loadedboon
Member since 2004 • 1986 Posts

Fable would fit under The Elder Scrolls, they combine Action Adventure with RPG. In Fable; the player's skill plays a major role in what they do. In a true RPG all success and failure should be based on the skills of the character you're playing.Darsander

Fable isn't an RPG and neither is Oblivion they are just simplified console games which claim to be RPG games. If you want to see some real RPG's go play Never Winter Nights, Never Winter Nights 2, The Witcher, Baldurs Gate, Baldurs Gate 2, Eye Of The Beholder series, Might and Magic series (on the pc), Wizardy series, Lands Of Lore series, the old SSI rpg games.

THAT are RPG's!

a_simple_gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 a_simple_gamer

[QUOTE="loadedboon"]

[QUOTE="a_simple_gamer"]

locopatho

Calling Fable an RPG is just :lol:"

Calling Dragon Age and Mass Effect 2 not linear is just :lol:

go play a real PC RPG before you open your mouth and spill out nonsense

Um I'm playing Mass Effect 2 right now, I'm on board a ship, can fly all over the galaxy to many different systems/planets, have a journal full of main quests and a bunch of minor ones too... Can do them in any order, seems pretty non linear to me.

It is non linear, like most WRPGsanyway

locopatho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 locopatho

[QUOTE="Darsander"]Fable would fit under The Elder Scrolls, they combine Action Adventure with RPG. In Fable; the player's skill plays a major role in what they do. In a true RPG all success and failure should be based on the skills of the character you're playing.loadedboon

Fable isn't an RPG and neither is Oblivion they are just simplified console games which claim to be RPG games. If you want to see some real RPG's go play Never Winter Nights, Never Winter Nights 2, The Witcher, Baldurs Gate, Baldurs Gate 2, Eye Of The Beholder series, Might and Magic series (on the pc), Wizardy series, Lands Of Lore series, the old SSI rpg games.

THAT are RPG's!

Oblivion and Fable = create characetr, have epic adventure, do quests, customise skills and equipment, gain experience, level up, make choices, be good or evil, etc. They are RPGs.
a_simple_gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 a_simple_gamer

[QUOTE="Darsander"]Fable would fit under The Elder Scrolls, they combine Action Adventure with RPG. In Fable; the player's skill plays a major role in what they do. In a true RPG all success and failure should be based on the skills of the character you're playing.loadedboon

THAT are RPG's!

Funny, we like the same games, only i prefer far mroe the advanture/RPG style, so ilike Fable, Gothic and Lands of Lore more than Never Winter Nights or BG, which i also like much though

But since i like adventure/RPG more, is expected i would like Fable, Mass Effect etc more than those more heavy RPGs

BTW i have played all M&M old RPGs, they were some of my favourite, i dont know what category to put them on, they were not as heavy as BG

a_simple_gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 a_simple_gamer

[QUOTE="loadedboon"]

[QUOTE="Darsander"]Fable would fit under The Elder Scrolls, they combine Action Adventure with RPG. In Fable; the player's skill plays a major role in what they do. In a true RPG all success and failure should be based on the skills of the character you're playing.locopatho

THAT are RPG's!

Oblivion and Fable = create characetr, have epic adventure, do quests, customise skills and equipment, gain experience, level up, make choices, be good or evil, etc. They are RPGs.

In Fable2 you can actualyl affect the world by your choices, it is rather scripted, but is amazign to see happening anyway

Dibdibdobdobo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#18 Dibdibdobdobo
Member since 2008 • 6683 Posts
FINAL FANTASY TACTICS!! Forget the main series as its 2nd rate in comparison to the Tactics franchise.
-Snooze-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 -Snooze-
Member since 2009 • 7304 Posts

the Prime example of an RPG in my opinon would be NeverWinter Nights 2. I'm not saying it's the best RPG,I certainly don't think so.

It includes everything i'd want in my perfect RPG.

Tons of quests.

A lot of choice

Lots of loot

Good story

Character creation tools, including sex and race.

Tons of varied character classes

Loads more i can't be arsed to list too.

omho88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 omho88
Member since 2007 • 3967 Posts

FF all the way, i hate WRPGs. the worst FF game is better than the best WRPG imo.

Arach666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

#21 Arach666
Member since 2009 • 23286 Posts

Out of those I´d say DA,but overall probably something like BG2,PT or Ultima VII.

Dibdibdobdobo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Dibdibdobdobo
Member since 2008 • 6683 Posts

FF all the way, i hate WRPGs. the worst FF game is better than the best WRPG imo.

omho88
But the best Final Fantasy is nowhere close to a FFT game. Swings and Round-abouts really lol.
a_simple_gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 a_simple_gamer

Arx Fatalis is alos one of my favourite old advanture/RPGs, just a dungeon, but a true RPG,far better even than Demon Soul imo, close to Ultima Underworld brilliance

Arach666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

#24 Arach666
Member since 2009 • 23286 Posts

omho88

Well,it´s your opinion like you stated. Reality is very diferent from your opinion though:P

DarthJohnova

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 DarthJohnova
Member since 2010 • 4599 Posts

Wow in the past few months 'Linear' really has become a gaming cliché...as soon as the reviewers learnt what it meant they pounced on it.

I really couldn't care less if something is 'linear' or not, if the gameplay is good and the story engrosses me then that's fine. I like variety of course and open world games are brilliant but being 'linear' isn't THAT dreadful, just not many games do it well.

Darsander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Darsander

Wow in the past few months 'Linear' really has become a gaming cliché...as soon as the reviewers learnt what it meant they pounced on it.

I really couldn't care less if something is 'linear' or not, if the gameplay is good and the story engrosses me then that's fine. I like variety of course and open world games are brilliant but being 'linear' isn't THAT dreadful, just not many games do it well.

DarthJohnova
Most people don't even know what non-linearity means; To them non linear is being able to do your side quests in any order. For that to mean anything other sidequests have to be altered or change in some way to show that you have influenced something. And you shouldn't be able to do every side quest; opportunities should open up and close depending on your actions along the way through the game. Also; even though the pathway is linear; the things you can do is what separates it from the common action game. I have yet to play a pen and paper game but I have friends that do and they tell me all the cool stuff that happens. They were playing this DnD campaign going through some horror themed Dungeon. At the beginning there was a friendly ghost that followed them around. At one point they binded the spirit into a suit of armor, he introduce them of who he was and guide them from there on. At one point they decided that knowing where to go was boring so they unbinded the spirit and went off. At one point they killed a monster that dropped a skull, which had some strange purple sand in it. One person decided to try to loot the sand and it turns out it was a magical trap and it caused a huge explosion, killing all most of their party and leaving two people near death. The point is that all happened with one play through, there are probably dozens of ways you could clear through that dungeon and still not know all the twists, turns, and secrets. When was the last time you beaten a game dungeon that had such repeatability? A. Singe. Dungeon!
Yangire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Yangire
Member since 2010 • 8795 Posts

Nethack, ToME, Crawl, Dwarf Fortress, and Zangband.

LoG-Sacrament

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 33

#28 LoG-Sacrament
Member since 2006 • 20397 Posts
each of those approaches has their own merits, but id say that bioware tends to take the middle ground between the cinematic story/character driven nature of jrpg's and the pure freedom of open ended wrpg's. i wouldnt call it the very best, but its a good example of a wide range of rpg's merging.
Avatar image for deactivated-5b19214ec908b
deactivated-5b19214ec908b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 deactivated-5b19214ec908b
Member since 2007 • 25072 Posts

[QUOTE="locopatho"][QUOTE="loadedboon"]

THAT are RPG's!

a_simple_gamer

In Fable2 you can actualyl affect the world by your choices, it is rather scripted, but is amazign to see happening anyway

People either praise you or run away from you. Yeah its soo amazing :roll:
a_simple_gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 a_simple_gamer

[QUOTE="a_simple_gamer"]

[QUOTE="locopatho"] Oblivion and Fable = create characetr, have epic adventure, do quests, customise skills and equipment, gain experience, level up, make choices, be good or evil, etc. They are RPGs.toast_burner

Better than do nothing, like in every other RPG

Avatar image for deactivated-5b19214ec908b
deactivated-5b19214ec908b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 deactivated-5b19214ec908b
Member since 2007 • 25072 Posts

[QUOTE="toast_burner"][QUOTE="a_simple_gamer"]

a_simple_gamer

Actually most good RPGs have depth to them Fable 2 is one of the most weakest RPGs ever made
omho88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 omho88
[QUOTE="a_simple_gamer"]

[QUOTE="toast_burner"][QUOTE="a_simple_gamer"]

lol, you have very low expectations ..... ( better than doing than anything ) ....lol, i now understand why you like the game.
WhenCicadasCry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 WhenCicadasCry
Member since 2010 • 2727 Posts

Oblivion? :? The best prime examples of RPGs are the old PC isometrical RPGs from the 90s. Baldurs Gate, Planescape, Fallout 1 / 2. Those were true "beardy" RPGs, RPGs now days seem to be action games with customizable appearence main characters.

DoomZaW

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#34 DoomZaW
Member since 2007 • 6475 Posts

Dragon Age without a doubt, although it is an absolute fantastic game i couldn't help feeling a bit more geeky than usual when playing it :oops:

jasonharris48

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 jasonharris48
Member since 2006 • 21441 Posts

omho88

I'm just going to go on a limb nd say you haven't played too many WRPGs?

loadedboon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 loadedboon

Oblivion? :? The best prime examples of RPGs are the old PC isometrical RPGs from the 90s. Baldurs Gate, Planescape, Fallout 1 / 2. Those were true "beardy" RPGs, RPGs now days seem to be action games with customizable appearence main characters.

WhenCicadasCry

Since you mention you like isometric rpg's from the 90's you should give Eschalon Book I and II a try both excellent old school rpg's (Book I is from 2007/8 and Book II is from 2009/10). Both excellent games with great depth to them.

jasonharris48

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 jasonharris48

[QUOTE="WhenCicadasCry"]

loadedboon

Since you mention you like isometric rpg's from the 90's you should give Eschalon Book I and II a try both excellent old school rpg's (Book I is from 2007/8 and Book II is from 2009/10). Both excellent games with great depth to them.

I've been playing the demo to the first Eschalon. I liked it, I'll porbably pick up the first title within the next few weeks.
mmwmwmmwmwmm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 mmwmwmmwmwmm
Member since 2008 • 620 Posts
Dragon Quest...
Vaasman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 Vaasman
Member since 2008 • 15598 Posts

Baldur's Gate is not on that list, therefore the poll fails.

a_simple_gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 a_simple_gamer

Gothic 1-2 and Arx Fatalis are better than most

a_simple_gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 a_simple_gamer

Baldur's Gate is not on that list, therefore it fails.

Vaasman

Indeed, Diablo is not even a real RPG imo

loadedboon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 loadedboon

[QUOTE="Vaasman"]

Baldur's Gate is not on that list, therefore it fails.

a_simple_gamer

Indeed, Diablo is not even a real RPG imo

and neither are the Fable series, Oblivion, ME1, ME2 and most of the 99% so called rpg's on consoles.

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#43 foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts

Funny poll. I'd say Vampire: The Masquerade - Bloodlines captures "role-playing" in its greatest essence. Fallout (1 & 2) being next after that. Though, none of them will ever match PNP RPG's.

PAL360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

#44 PAL360
Member since 2007 • 30574 Posts

final fantasy has clearly the biggest name but TES is the prime example of what i like in RPGs

raskullibur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#45 raskullibur
Member since 2003 • 3390 Posts
Gran Theft Auto San Andreas
jasonharris48

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 jasonharris48

Funny poll. I'd say Vampire: The Masquerade - Bloodlines captures "role-playing" in its greatest essence. Fallout (1 & 2) being next after that. Though, none of them will ever match PNP RPG's.

foxhound_fox

Bloodlines is a good great title. It's a shame that it is so underrated.

RyuRanVII

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#47 RyuRanVII
Member since 2006 • 4257 Posts

It's not my number one RPG (still one of my all time favorites), but Fallout 2 is the best example of a videogame RPG.

omho88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 omho88
[QUOTE="jasonharris48"]

[QUOTE="omho88"]

i quit them the last generation, i played Fable, Jade Empire ... they were good games but didn't feel playing them again, i also tried to play Star wars: the old republic and i didn't like it again, tried to play Fallout 3 and it sucked, i saw Elder scrolls: oblivion and it sucked HARD. Dragon Age looks bad, boring .....etc. Of course imo. Mass effect looks the best out of all imo. but again it hardly consider it an RPG, mostly a shooter with RPG elements. As you can see, all i had is bad experiences with WRPGs, while i loved all FF games with variable degrees.
loadedboon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 loadedboon

[QUOTE="foxhound_fox"]

jasonharris48

Bloodlines is a good great title. It's a shame that it is so underrated.

Is Bloodlines still being played online? If so I might install it again cause now you mentioned the game I have a strange itchy feeling to play it again :D

jasonharris48

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 jasonharris48

[QUOTE="jasonharris48"]

[QUOTE="omho88"]

omho88

i quit them the last generation, i played Fable, Jade Empire ... they were good games but didn't feel playing them again, i also tried to play Star wars: the old republic and i didn't like it again, tried to play Fallout 3 and it sucked, i saw Elder scrolls: oblivion and it sucked HARD. Dragon Age looks bad, boring .....etc. Of course imo. Mass effect looks the best out of all imo. but again it hardly consider it an RPG, mostly a shooter with RPG elements. As you can see, all i had is bad experiences with WRPGs, while i loved all FF games with variable degrees.

That's your problem right there you never played a true WRPG Jade Empire Kotor, Dragon Age (best one you mentioned) being the closest out the list you created. Go play the Witcher, Baldur's Gate 1,2, Planescape Torment, Vampire the Masqurerade: Bloodlines, Fallout 1,2 (don't feel like mentioning any more)come and tell me they suck.