Which recent Steam Remake is the better buy? Black Mesa (Crowbar Collective) VS. Halo CE Anniversary (343 Studios)

• 56 results
Avatar image for deactivated-60bf765068a74
deactivated-60bf765068a74

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Poll Which recent Steam Remake is the better buy? Black Mesa (Crowbar Collective) VS. Halo CE Anniversary (343 Studios) (30 votes)

Black Mesa ($19.99) 60%
Halo CE Anniversary ($9.99) 40%

I bought halo Anniversary and am having fun but haven't bought black mesa yet. So which is the better remake in your opinion?

• 
Fedor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1 Fedor
Member since 2015 • 11714 Posts

Black Mesa is the better game. Unless someone wants MP of course.

Avatar image for deactivated-5efed3ebc2180
deactivated-5efed3ebc2180

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#2 deactivated-5efed3ebc2180
Member since 2006 • 923 Posts

I'd go with Resident Evil 3 pre-order... 😏

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#3 DaVillain  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 56564 Posts

@WESTBLADE said:

I'd go with Resident Evil 3 pre-order... 😏

A gamer who knows what he wants. And I couldn't agree more with this.

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#4 lamprey263
Member since 2006 • 44724 Posts

I would say Halo mostly because I still play it with the friend I played all these campaigns with over the years, makes it a little more special to me.

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#5 mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58567 Posts

Black Mesa is a proper remake.

I have not played the new Halo, but isn't it a remaster, and not a remake?

Cloud_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#6 Cloud_Man
Member since 2020 • 201 Posts

Black Mesa is a damn solid game and an actual remake built from scratch. A lot has changed since I played it in 2012. Current final edition is a great game in itself. Gunplay has improved a lot since its last big release.

Ghosts4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#7 Ghosts4ever
Member since 2015 • 25178 Posts

Black Mesa easily.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#9 uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 59482 Posts

Black Mesa was a collaboration of people working years for free (and still has a free version albeit without an ending).

Still think it has problems and isn't as good as OG Halflife, but it's a triumph both of community and Valves willingness to open up themselves, which is partially what put them on the map.

As is Hunt Down The Freeman.

pelvist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#10 pelvist
Member since 2010 • 9001 Posts

Black Mesa alllll day.

Avatar image for deactivated-5f381b7b4ba30
deactivated-5f381b7b4ba30

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By deactivated-5f381b7b4ba30
Member since 2019 • 1049 Posts

Black Mesa. Halo CE:A is an abomination

Ghosts4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Ghosts4ever

@uninspiredcup said:

Black Mesa was a collaboration of people working years for free (and still has a free version albeit without an ending).

Still think it has problems and isn't as good as OG Halflife, but it's a triumph both of community and Valves willingness to open up themselves, which is partially what put them on the map.

As is Hunt Down The Freeman.

HECU move wayy too super fast but fighting against them also remind me of FEAR kinda.

BassMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 227

#13 BassMan
Member since 2002 • 17946 Posts

Black Mesa without a doubt. Halo is worth checking out on Game Pass though.

BassMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 BassMan

@uninspiredcup: I went back and played a few hours of the original after finishing Black Mesa and decided to stop playing and uninstalled. Black Mesa is the superior game in almost every way.

Ghosts4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Ghosts4ever

@BassMan said:

@uninspiredcup: I went back and played a few hours of the original after finishing Black Mesa and decided to stop playing and uninstalled. Black Mesa is the superior game in almost every way.

True. because its complete overhaul with characters like elie and dr kliener instead of random same face scientists.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 uninspiredcup

@ghosts4ever said:
@BassMan said:

True. because its complete overhaul with characters like elie and dr kliener instead of random same face scientists.

Even stuff like the basic soldiers radio com sucks compared to the OG Halflife.

BassMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By BassMan

@ghosts4ever: I really like all the added touches. They did a great job with the presentation. I also like how they expanded the levels and gave the game more atmosphere. The gunplay is significantly better as well.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By uninspiredcup

@BassMan said:

@ghosts4ever: I really like all the added touches. They did a great job with the presentation. I also like how they expanded the levels and gave the game more atmosphere. The gunplay is significantly better as well.

It really isn't. It's like operating a tank against aim-bots, with the weapon balanced changed so that the shotgun basically (literally) eviscerates everything, with kick-back on the machine-gun a largely useless weapon against military.

The darker, sharpened environments and on-screen effects don't help matters either.

This was never a problem with OG Halflife.

Ghosts4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Ghosts4ever

@uninspiredcup said:
@ghosts4ever said:
@BassMan said:

Even stuff like the basic soldiers radio com sucks compared to the OG Halflife.

my friend, its call nastolgia. it wont be topped.

Black Mesa is objectively superior to original Half life.

BassMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 BassMan

@uninspiredcup: Black Mesa gunplay feels a lot better. More weight to the weapons and satisfying feedback when hitting enemies.

Avatar image for deactivated-5f381b7b4ba30
deactivated-5f381b7b4ba30

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 deactivated-5f381b7b4ba30
Member since 2019 • 1049 Posts

@BassMan said:

Black Mesas gunplay is better than the original Half Lifes? You're out of your mind. Black Mesas gunplay isn't even as good as Half Life 2s

BassMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By BassMan

@pinkribbonscars: I never mentioned Half-Life 2. Not sure why you brought it up. I said it is better than the original game. Also MMOD is the way to go for HL2. Feels really good.

Ghosts4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Ghosts4ever

This is where I agree. Original Half life gunplay was near perfect. and Black mesa gunplay is not as good, but its better than HL2 gunplay.

jg4xchamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#24 jg4xchamp
Member since 2006 • 64041 Posts

Halo isn't a remake

Black Mesa isn't good. Butchers the movement, the enemies, the gunplay. Rather just play actual Half Life 1, funner.

Ghosts4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Ghosts4ever

@jg4xchamp said:

Black Mesa isn't good. Butchers the movement, the enemies, the gunplay. Rather just play actual Half Life 1, funner.

Turn on always run. you will get old school style movement.

and champ you are complaining as its made by valve or AAA developers. its a game that is made by few fans.

ConanTheStoner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 ConanTheStoner  Online
Member since 2011 • 23737 Posts

@ghosts4ever said:

and champ you are complaining as its made by valve or AAA developers. its a game that is made by few fans.

Which is cool, and I know those guys worked their asses off, but ultimately it means nothing to the end users experience.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By uninspiredcup

@ConanTheStoner said:
@ghosts4ever said:

Which is cool, and I know those guys worked their asses off, but ultimately it means nothing to the end users experience.

Well I mean if it's free, generally (or at least I do) give some leeway, as with many mods.

Creakiness is almost an expectation when it comes to stuff like production values.

But payed version? Yes, absolutely.

Valve has a habit of going too far down the rabbit hole and we end up with this shit.

Loading Video...

jg4xchamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 jg4xchamp
@ghosts4ever said:

That's not the only part of the movement gimped you fucking casual lmfao

Isn't this one of your sacred cows? And what the **** do I care that they are fans? They made a shitter thing. You know what Plutonia is? a great doom wad made by fans, much better maps than anything Sandy Peterson ever made. So I'm not beholden to the fans get a free pass defense. Game is rubbish, play OG instead and its expansions. Funnerer games.

Ghosts4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Ghosts4ever

@jg4xchamp said:
@ghosts4ever said:

That's not the only part of the movement gimped you fucking casual lmfao

Isn't this one of your sacred cows? And what the **** do I care that they are fans? They made a shitter thing. You know what Plutonia is? a great doom wad made by fans, much better maps than anything Sandy Peterson ever made. So I'm not beholden to the fans get a free pass defense. Game is rubbish, play OG instead and its expansions. Funnerer games.

I played original and beat it multiple times. played HL2 beat is so many times im sick of it.

after playing Black mesa. i cant go back to original. the same mustache face scientists and same security guard is dated now. black mesa have full fledge characters now.

Black Mesa is GOTY 2020 so far, best game of gen surpassed Doom 2016.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 uninspiredcup

ConanTheStoner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 ConanTheStoner  Online

High art.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By uninspiredcup

@ConanTheStoner said:

High art.

That's actually a un-ironically two word good point.

The scientists and security guards are like the red-shirts from Star Trek where you're the lead cast-member.

Watching them die is typically comedic than serious le drama, with most of their designs caricatures of egg-heads (in that case Einstein).

Black Mesa presents them in a completely different manner where it feels relatively soulless.

That extends to the military grunts as well, where the grungy deep sounds the make come across as almost inhuman as opposed to generic Call Of Duty dudes the player comes across in Black Mesa.

Loading Video...

Halflife for all it's dated visuals has a distinctive character that didn't really translate well.

PC_Rocks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 PC_Rocks
Member since 2018 • 8515 Posts

I'll be playing Black Mesa soon but I couldn't bother to even know what Halo was about back when it came out and still has no interest in trying it out.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By uninspiredcup

@pc_rocks said:

I'll be playing Black Mesa soon but I couldn't bother to even know what Halo was about back when it came out and still has no interest in trying it out.

Not missing much, If PC FPS were F1 cars, Halo would be the equivalent of a kart-F1 replica with children going round a track 30mph pretending to be big boys.

ConanTheStoner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 ConanTheStoner  Online

@uninspiredcup said:

Halflife for all it's dated visuals has a distinctive character that didn't really translate well.

Yeah, tends to be the case for better or worse... often times worse.

Twin Snacks

Ghosts4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 Ghosts4ever
@pc_rocks said:

But still better than rail shooter that is alyx the half life.

PC_Rocks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 PC_Rocks

@uninspiredcup said:
@pc_rocks said:

Not missing much, If PC FPS were F1 cars, Halo would be the equivalent of a kart-F1 replica with children going round a track 30mph pretending to be big boys.

Figured that hence I didn't even try it. When a reticle takes 10% of your screen and the rest of the UI 40%, you know the game is shit.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By uninspiredcup

@ConanTheStoner said:
@uninspiredcup said:

Yeah, tends to be the case for better or worse... often times worse.

Twin Snacks

Yep, Twin Snakes would be an even better example. Even just stuff like the soundtrack, fucking hate it. Metal Gear Solid was moody and melancholic as ****, not Micheal Bay action-man-time.

Ghosts4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 Ghosts4ever

@uninspiredcup said:

Halo is now PC FPS. it used to be console FPS.

plus there has been much worse FPS, bioshock infinite and wolfenstein games for example. they made Halo feel like masterpiece.

jg4xchamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 jg4xchamp

Let the record show that cup also gasses up old, boring, slow ass ww2 shooters or tps wank like mdk where you move at a snails pace or have little to no options so much like the consolites he too can not operate a F1 vehicle.

BassMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By BassMan

@uninspiredcup said:
@ConanTheStoner said:

High art.

That's actually a un-ironically two word good point.

The scientists and security guards are like the red-shirts from Star Trek where you're the lead cast-member.

Watching them die is typically comedic than serious le drama, with most of their designs caricatures of egg-heads (in that case Einstein).

Black Mesa presents them in a completely different manner where it feels relatively soulless.

That extends to the military grunts as well, where the grungy deep sounds the make come across as almost inhuman as opposed to generic Call Of Duty dudes the player comes across in Black Mesa.

Loading Video...

So, you prefer unnatural robotic spliced voices with crazy distortion? Come on man, even the Combine soldiers in Half-Life 2 sound more human than these HECU soldiers. I was really impressed with the voice chatter when it first came out, but it has been improved upon. Also, why are the voices even presented as radio chatter in the original game? Gordon does not have access to their radio comms.

PC_Rocks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 PC_Rocks

@ghosts4ever said:
@pc_rocks said:

Remain jelly...you won't be playing the game of the generation. Nothing you do will make HL: Alyx a traditional game. You will be waiting from the modders to make a traditional version and you will be playing an inferior version, if at all.

Ghosts4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 Ghosts4ever

@pc_rocks said:
@ghosts4ever said:
@pc_rocks said:

Remain jelly...you won't be playing the game of the generation. Nothing you do will make HL: Alyx a traditional game. You will be waiting from the modders to make a traditional version and you will be playing an inferior version, if at all.

I rather play real PC FPS than some VR crap with teleporting.

VR shooter worse than console shooters lol. and thats not even a debate.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By uninspiredcup

Ghost has lost it, VRVRVR.

PC_Rocks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 PC_Rocks

@ghosts4ever said:
@pc_rocks said:
@ghosts4ever said:
@pc_rocks said:

I rather play real PC FPS than some VR crap with teleporting.

VR shooter worse than console shooters lol. and thats not even a debate.

Who's debating. I'm just telling it like it is. Remain jelly. You can't play the Game of the Century.

Ghosts4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 Ghosts4ever

@pc_rocks said:

Who's debating. I'm just telling it like it is. Remain jelly. You can't play the Game of the Century.

game of century wont be some shitty VR nichie game with teleporting.

it would be proper PC game.

beside this is not even Half life game. VR spinoff involving different character. Gordon freeman is mascot of Half life.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 uninspiredcup

For purists here's a nice little mod that subtly updates the visuals of Halflife/expansions without fucking up the art-direction or gameplay.

Loading Video...

PC_Rocks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 PC_Rocks

@ghosts4ever said:
@pc_rocks said:

game of century wont be some shitty VR nichie game with teleporting.

it would be proper PC game.

beside this is not even Half life game. VR spinoff involving different character. Gordon freeman is mascot of Half life.

Remain jelly! The game of the century is soon to be upon us.

Ghosts4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 Ghosts4ever

@pc_rocks said:

>Compain about console shooters being dumbed down

>Praising something worse than console shooters that is double dumbed down

PC_Rocks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 PC_Rocks

@ghosts4ever said:
@pc_rocks said:

>Compain about console shooters being dumbed down

>Praising something worse than console shooters that is double dumbed down

I complain about sh*t games and I priase HL: A because I have taste and also because I'm not jelly like you.