Which PC dev sold out the most?

• 99 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

nameless12345

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 nameless12345
Member since 2010 • 15125 Posts

Only PC gamers can vote :D

I say Bethesda because the TES and Fallout series were kinda the epitome of hardcore PC RPGs prior to their "consolification".

NoodleFighter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 NoodleFighter
Member since 2011 • 11816 Posts

Hmm so many choices hard to pick :cry:

ReddestSkies

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 ReddestSkies
Member since 2005 • 4087 Posts

This thread makes me sad. So many great franchises have been ruined over the years =(

-Snooze-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 -Snooze-
Member since 2009 • 7304 Posts

Bioware, simply 'causeit hurt me the most.

I understand that perhaps they wanted to try something new, and not stick to DnD games but really ... EA have done nothing for them but, in my opinion, adversely effect the quality of their games. I loved Baldurs Gate, NWN, KOTOR, and even ME1, but their most recent titles no ME2 and DA2 have really left a lot to be desired. (Not so much ME2, 'cause it was great, but could have been even better)

Crytek suck too, Crysis 1 was superb, Crysis 2 was awful.

GeneralShowzer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#5 GeneralShowzer
Member since 2010 • 11598 Posts

This thread makes me sad. So many great franchises have been ruined over the years =(

ReddestSkies
Knowing TC that was probably his intention. I'm just going to say, the first that "sold out" PC gamers are going to be the first that "sell out" console gamers too, not that there are more money to be made in F2P, IPhone, Facebook, ect..
Ravensmash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Ravensmash
Member since 2010 • 13862 Posts

ReddestSkies
Ruined? Or made more awesome? E.g. Oblivion, Fallout, and the upcoming Skyrim all look to be fantastic games. I mean Bioware made Mass Effect 2 - regardless of whether people are crying about genre or "dumbing down", it's a fantastic package imo and a great example of a highly polished game. And why are id on there? What have they done to harm pc gamers.
DethSkematik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 117

#7 DethSkematik
Member since 2008 • 3900 Posts
I'd say CryTek hurt the most. They went from making the one FPS everyone's talked about this site for YEARS, to making a sequel just about any owner of any system can agree was underwhelming.
Avatar image for deactivated-63f6895020e66
deactivated-63f6895020e66

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 deactivated-63f6895020e66
Member since 2004 • 21177 Posts

[QUOTE="ReddestSkies"]

Ravensmash

Ruined? Or made more awesome? E.g. Oblivion, Fallout, and the upcoming Skyrim all look to be fantastic games. I mean Bioware made Mass Effect 2 - regardless of whether people are crying about genre or "dumbing down", it's a fantastic package imo and a great example of a highly polished game. And why are id on there? What have they done to harm pc gamers.

This is true. This has been an amazing gen for gamers. I hope the trend continues.

Heil68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#9 Heil68
Member since 2004 • 60721 Posts
Crytek for sure, it's so obvious.
Heil68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Heil68
Member since 2004 • 60721 Posts

[QUOTE="Ravensmash"][QUOTE="ReddestSkies"]

IronBass

This is true. This has been an amazing gen for gamers. I hope the trend continues.

Yes ruined. Consolization is a serious problem, but thank goodness 9/10 the PC version is still the vastly superior version. Some people are just jealous that all they don't have a proper PC to play and some even go as far to try and play on gimped laptops not meant for gaming. I'm glad I have a proper PC that is capable of playing these games as the developers has envisioned.
Avatar image for deactivated-63f6895020e66
deactivated-63f6895020e66

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 deactivated-63f6895020e66
Member since 2004 • 21177 Posts

Yes ruined. Consolization is a serious problem, but thank goodness 9/10 the PC version is still the vastly superior version. Some people are just jealous that all they don't have a proper PC to play and some even go as far to try and play on gimped laptops not meant for gaming. I'm glad I have a proper PC that is capable of playing these games as the developers has envisioned. Heil68

Consolization is an amazing thing, so I'm happy : D

Ravensmash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Ravensmash
Member since 2010 • 13862 Posts
[QUOTE="IronBass"]

[QUOTE="Ravensmash"] Ruined? Or made more awesome? E.g. Oblivion, Fallout, and the upcoming Skyrim all look to be fantastic games. I mean Bioware made Mass Effect 2 - regardless of whether people are crying about genre or "dumbing down", it's a fantastic package imo and a great example of a highly polished game. And why are id on there? What have they done to harm pc gamers.Heil68

Yes ruined. Consolization is a serious problem, but thank goodness 9/10 the PC version is still the vastly superior version. Some people are just jealous that all they don't have a proper PC to play and some even go as far to try and play on gimped laptops not meant for gaming. I'm glad I have a proper PC that is capable of playing these games as the developers has envisioned.

I'll have you know that despite the excessive overheating and stuttering framerate in most games with remotely decent graphics, my laptop is perfectly suited :P
razgriz_101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#13 razgriz_101
Member since 2007 • 16875 Posts

Seems the only arguement we have on here is ZOMG consolisation...if the games good who gives a flying turd.

Avatar image for deactivated-5b19214ec908b
deactivated-5b19214ec908b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 deactivated-5b19214ec908b
Member since 2007 • 25072 Posts

Bioware madeBalders Gate and other great RPGs, this gen their biggest game is a shooter. Then when they make another goodRPG they dumb down the sequel and completely ruin it.

N30F3N1X

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 N30F3N1X
Member since 2009 • 8923 Posts

Epic made some of the best FPSs ever on PC, then made a console port while marketing it as a PC game, it didn't turn out as they wanted, and they did a full 180° and completely dismissed PC for years with constant trolling and flamebaiting.

Crytek made a superb PC game and claimed it should have had Halo sales while in fact very few people could run Crysis at the time it came out, it was pirated to hell and back and Crytek tried to "streamline" for a "wider audience" by totally raping everything that made the first game great. And no, it wasn't just graphics.

BioWare made another superb game that, while not even remotely as good as it could have been with more depth added (3 classes of which 2 share a crapton of abilities? really bioware?), was a very positive sign of a return of games that actually classify as "roleplay games"; then they too went ahead and did a full 180° trying to appeal to the CoD audience with some of the dumbest mechanics and narrative I've ever seen.

Bethesda, meh, major lol at them, this generation they just plain sucked. Their construction sets are very nice, but their engines are dreadfully clunky and horrible to look at, and their games are utter trash. I don't see them overly "selling out", they just plain suck.

I have no idea what id does there...

I'd say Epic is the worst for their ****ty attitude. At least Crytek admitted that the "change in direction" and "streamlining" didn't turn out as they had hoped.

Phoenix534

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Phoenix534
Member since 2008 • 17774 Posts

Epic completely stopped making PC games and then called PC gamers pirates. Not a hard choice for me.

Planeforger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Planeforger
Member since 2004 • 19599 Posts

I voted for Bioware.

The jump from making PC-exclusive games (BG, NWN) to console-exclusive games (KOTOR, Jade Empire - or at least they were exclusive when they first came out) was more sudden and possibly more dramatic than the other devs on the list, and they've been making console-focused games ever since.

Well, Epic did the same, but wasn't there a massive gap between their last PC game and Gears of War?

DarkLink77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#18 DarkLink77
Member since 2004 • 32731 Posts

Not seeing how id sold out here, aside from making a multiplat, which they've been doing for years. It's not like they rushed RAGE to completion.

CDUB316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 CDUB316
Member since 2009 • 6589 Posts

I'd say CryTek hurt the most. They went from making the one FPS everyone's talked about this site for YEARS, to making a sequel just about any owner of any system can agree was underwhelming. DethSkematik

the only reason it was talked about on this site for years was only because of the graphics...not much else really

crysis 2 still looks damn good on PC...so they didn't really sell out that much IMO

kris9031998

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#20 kris9031998
Member since 2008 • 7554 Posts
lol man, its going to be Infinity ward. (or should i say its activisions fault, though they are publishers.) They started out with Call of Duty, for Pc only. Then to Call of Duty 2, which was for PC and Xbox 360 (game was still amazing) Then there was Call of Duty 4 (again, amazing though on all consoles) But...Then.....MW2. I dont have to explain much further.
Wasdie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#21 Wasdie  Moderator
Member since 2003 • 53622 Posts

Without a doubt it's Epic. They haven't made a PC game in years. Now they say they are moving back to the PC.

lazerface216

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 lazerface216
Member since 2008 • 7564 Posts

[QUOTE="Heil68"]Yes ruined. Consolization is a serious problem, but thank goodness 9/10 the PC version is still the vastly superior version. Some people are just jealous that all they don't have a proper PC to play and some even go as far to try and play on gimped laptops not meant for gaming. I'm glad I have a proper PC that is capable of playing these games as the developers has envisioned. IronBass

Consolization is an amazing thing, so I'm happy : D

yep, keep that consolization coming guys!

Khoo1992

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 68

#23 Khoo1992
Member since 2005 • 2472 Posts

You can't blame everything on the dev, there are publishers of the games who wants the money to be made from consoles and when gamers demand a games like those "consolised" games like you what you said, they make it.

They just follow where the money goes.

N30F3N1X

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 N30F3N1X

the only reason it was talked about on this site for years was only because of the graphics...not much else really

crysis 2 still looks damn good on PC...so they didn't really sell out that much IMO

CDUB316

Is that the reason why it won best FPS award of 2007 beating CoD4, UT3 and Halo 3, and was universally acclaimed for its non linear gameplay approach? "Graphics"?

Avatar image for deactivated-59d151f079814
deactivated-59d151f079814

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 deactivated-59d151f079814
Member since 2003 • 47239 Posts

Bioware, simply 'causeit hurt me the most.

I understand that perhaps they wanted to try something new, and not stick to DnD games but really ... EA have done nothing for them but, in my opinion, adversely effect the quality of their games. I loved Baldurs Gate, NWN, KOTOR, and even ME1, but their most recent titles no ME2 and DA2 have really left a lot to be desired. (Not so much ME2, 'cause it was great, but could have been even better)

Crytek suck too, Crysis 1 was superb, Crysis 2 was awful.

-Snooze-

\

... BIoware didn't devlope Baldur's Gate.. KOTOR came out on consoles first and was ported over.. Neverwinter Nights is the only pc exclisive they made.. ME was originally a console game that was ported over.. I would think EPIC.. The pc was their main platofrm until they completely abandoned it out of the blue and began bashing it as a excuse for their poor sales for games like Unreal Tournament 3..

Rage010101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Rage010101
Member since 2006 • 5470 Posts

obviousy and easily EPIC! did everyone forget how hard they rode the microsoft train? all that nonsense about pc gaming dieing, pc gaming piracy being rampant, and all that "console sales" talk! they whored out big time compared to all the other devs on that list! now they "supposedly" wanna come back to pc. well they better try hard and go beyond excellence if they really wanna redeem themselves and gain pc gamers' respect back. porting over the rest of the gears franchise would be a good start once their contract with MS ends.

Lonelynight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Lonelynight
Member since 2006 • 30051 Posts
Crytek selling out affected me the most, so I vote for them.
Avatar image for HaloinventedFPS
HaloinventedFPS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 HaloinventedFPS
Member since 2010 • 4738 Posts

Epic define the term sellout

Ly_the_Fairy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Ly_the_Fairy
Member since 2011 • 8541 Posts

If you aren't choosing Epic then you're choosing the wrong developer for this discussion.

Kevz0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Kevz0
Member since 2010 • 550 Posts

Bioware. Made Baldur´s gate 2 and Neverwinter Nights, now they make Shooters and dumbed down Rpgs

harshv82

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#31 harshv82
Member since 2008 • 1120 Posts

Epic without a doubt. They haven't developed a PC game for ages!!

PS - I still consider UT99 the best FPS ever. Such a pity and letdown by Epic! *shakes head*:evil:

Chris_Williams

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 Chris_Williams
Member since 2009 • 14882 Posts

trying to make money is selling out?

harshv82

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 harshv82

Chris_Williams
Quitting completely on a platform is. Would you like if they stopped making Gears of War? (unless you have ps3)
Chris_Williams

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 Chris_Williams

[QUOTE="Chris_Williams"]

harshv82

Quitting completely on a platform is. Would you like if they stopped making Gears of War? (unless you have ps3)

i have both a ps3 and 360 and again making money is selling out nowadays? you guys can sit here and complain about a developer not giving the pc enough attention but at the end of the day, they run a business and they can't make everybody happy. If you had your own game company and you go in expecting just to develop for the pc exclusively then you won't last long. Of course some game companies release pc exclusives once in a while but a company can't survive on one platform nowadays.

harshv82

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 harshv82
[QUOTE="Chris_Williams"][QUOTE="harshv82"][QUOTE="Chris_Williams"]

i have both a ps3 and 360 and again making money is selling out nowadays? you guys can sit here and complain about a developer not giving the pc enough attention but at the end of the day, they run a business and they can't make everybody happy. You had your own game company and you go in expecting just to develop for the pc exclusively then you won't last long. Of course some game companies release pc exclusives once in a while but a company can't survive on one platform nowadays.

TC asked about sellout and it's without a doubt Epic. Nobody is questioning their motives and we all know no company is going to survive on 1 platform but quitting on an entire platform is sellout in my books. Morality is not being questioned here. Again, Would you like if they stopped making Gears of War? Wouldn't you feel betrayed by the company whos games you were buying?
GeneralShowzer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#36 GeneralShowzer
Member since 2010 • 11598 Posts

Bioware sold out consoles worse.

KOTOR started as an Xbox exclsuive and sold most on Xbox.

Now KOTOR is a PC exclusive MMO catering to PC gamers, umadhopethisthrendcontinues.

Ly_the_Fairy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 Ly_the_Fairy
Member since 2011 • 8541 Posts

[QUOTE="harshv82"][QUOTE="Chris_Williams"]

Chris_Williams

i have both a ps3 and 360 and again making money is selling out nowadays? you guys can sit here and complain about a developer not giving the pc enough attention but at the end of the day, they run a business and they can't make everybody happy. If you had your own game company and you go in expecting just to develop for the pc exclusively then you won't last long. Of course some game companies release pc exclusives once in a while but a company can't survive on one platform nowadays.

Odd how there's so many PC exclusive games, and companies out there today.

I wonder how many devs develop exclusively for the PS3, or 360 that aren't owned by Sony, or MS?

Chris_Williams

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 Chris_Williams

[QUOTE="Chris_Williams"]

[QUOTE="harshv82"] Quitting completely on a platform is. Would you like if they stopped making Gears of War? (unless you have ps3)Ly_the_Fairy

Odd how there's so many PC exclusive games, and companies out there today.

I wonder how many devs develop exclusively for the PS3, or 360 that aren't owned by Sony, or MS?

indie games and games made with small teams can survive with pc as the only platform, but i guarantee you those companies get bigger and they want to make bigger games they make console ports. Also i know alot of companies who make ps3 exclusives and they aren't owned by sony or MS,

Sucker Punch "Sly Cooper, Infamous 1 and 2.......before they were bought out by sony",

Insomina "Resistance, ratchet and clank, still aren't owned by Sony"

Ninja Theory "Heavenly Sword",

Quantic Dream " Heavy Rain, still aren't owned by Sony" also their developing another ps3 exclusive right now,

Media Molecule "little big planet, which they did and when they weren't owned by Sony"

Incognito "Warhawk, Starhawk, who still aren't owned by sony"

Sega "Yakuza, Valkyria Chronicles, still aren't owned by sony"

N30F3N1X

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 N30F3N1X

Chris_Williams

Completely disregarding the fanbase that allowed you to be in a financially good position is.

Avatar image for UnknownSniper65
UnknownSniper65

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 UnknownSniper65
Member since 2004 • 9238 Posts

Infinity Ward

they don't even talk about the PC versions of their games

Avatar image for turtlethetaffer
turtlethetaffer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 144

#42 turtlethetaffer
Member since 2009 • 18973 Posts

I would say Valve, even though it's not on the list.

i5750at4Ghz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 i5750at4Ghz
Member since 2010 • 5839 Posts
Epic by far, at least the rest still make PC games.
DJ_Headshot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 DJ_Headshot
Member since 2010 • 6427 Posts
Easily Epic they abounded the pc all the other still support the PC.
USBxDVD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 USBxDVD
Member since 2011 • 520 Posts
I didnt even have to see the OP or poll to know Epic would be on the poll. Bunch of sellouts.
sukraj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#46 sukraj
Member since 2008 • 27859 Posts

id software

evilross

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#47 evilross
Member since 2003 • 2076 Posts

Why in the world is id on this list?????

id has done more for pc gaming then every other developer on that list combined, and they have never pushed out anything rushed, half-done, or dumbed down. EVER.

By the way, Epic is the answer here. Epic has been trolling hermits for years now.

pcgamer_07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 pcgamer_07
Member since 2007 • 1164 Posts

Epic and Crytek. Tough to choose between the two even though Epic abandoned PC a long time ago in quite awful fashion. I still have a bad taste left from Crysis 2 and the manner in which they way they went about treating the PC.

I haven't forgotten what Epic did though they definitely as someone put it define the term sellout.

I choose Epic.

milannoir

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 milannoir
Member since 2008 • 1663 Posts

Why in the world is id on this list?????

id has done more for pc gaming then every other developer on that list combined, and they have never pushed out anything rushed, half-done, or dumbed down. EVER.

By the way, Epic is the answer here. Epic has been trolling hermits for years now.

evilross

Exactly my thoughts.

Not that I am shrieking "consoluzashiun!!!" all over the place; this so-called "gen" actually brought me back to 80% PC gaming.... Too many awesome games on that platfom to play anything else, really (besides my beloved Nintendo classics).

Still, it is a pity that some valuable franchises' quality went down the drain... But it's more a problem of "streamlining" (=catering to the smallest common denominator in hope of huge sales) than "consolization". I'm sure many console gamers (like me) also hate it when gameplay and game depth takes a hit...

razgriz_101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 razgriz_101
Member since 2007 • 16875 Posts

ok a dev never sells out wanna know why their a buisness they are in it to make money, not appease fanboys.

They go where the money is regardless of how some silly fanboy on the internet see's them.Its a simple choice profit or go broke.Regardless of how so many of you see otherwise Dev's are just like any other company involved in the industry in it to make money and a good product aimed at the demograph they are targeting.

So what "x" dev moves platform because they can make more money there, thats just simple economics of maximising profits.