Which one will have a bigger reaction if it flops? Skyward Sword or Uncharted 3?

• 133 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

GreySeal9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 41

User Lists: 0

#1 GreySeal9
Member since 2010 • 28247 Posts

On one hand, there's a precedent for Skyward Sword, i.e. the Twilight Princess flop reaction. I wasn't around to experience it, but I've heard the reaction was explosive beyond the boundaries of reason.

On the other hand, the most aggressive nitpicking of reviews and the most claims of bias always seem to be associated with PS3 flops (atleast from what I've seen). And since Uncharted 3 is pretty much the biggest PS3 exclusive, the reaction would be like the Infamous 2 reaction x100.

I'm honestly on the fence. I think Zelda fans are probably more passionate than UC fans, but then again, I think that we're unlikely to see another TP-like reaction because we're all aware of how dumb that was.

super600

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#2 super600  Moderator
Member since 2007 • 33103 Posts

I bet the reaction will be huge if Uncharted 3flops.It will be Infamous 2 times 1000. Loads of people will threaten Tom multiple times my bet is, make fun of him and we will watch the PS3 fanboys explode into fury at anyone that doesn't agree with their opinion.Dozens or maybe hundred of people will banned by in the week after the review.

SRTtoZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3 SRTtoZ
Member since 2009 • 4800 Posts

It wont happen...well not Uncharted 3 anyway.

super600

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 super600  Moderator

SRTtoZ

Remember Infamous 2. It can likely happen to uncharted3.Tom doesn't favour sequels a lot unless they change the game up a lot.

BakaGoose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 BakaGoose
Member since 2011 • 25 Posts
Well just like every other time a big name game flops or does well there will be a lot of angry people on system wars trying to damage control one way or another, but then after a week or two you won't hear either game talked about.
super600

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 super600  Moderator

I'm gonna go with the franchise with the fanbase that issued death threats over a score of 8.8.

Uncharted 3 flopping would result in a few days of damage control and mockery, Skyward Sword flopping would result in chaos.

Slashkice

Have you seen the infamous 2 reaction. People were wanting to throw Tom in jail and they were throwing threats atTom.

GreySeal9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 GreySeal9

SRTtoZ

How can you be so sure of that?

People thought Infamous 2 would never flop and lo and behold, it did.

It's really hard to tell how well a game gels together by just looking at footage or previews or judging based of a game's predecessor. Sometimes even great developers make design decisions that are enough to make a game miss its hyped score. There might be something that just doesn't work in UC3. You never know.

I don't think any game is safe flop from flopping, especially this year.

AmayaPapaya

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#9 AmayaPapaya
Member since 2008 • 9029 Posts

Eh, don't know. I can see both being big flops though.

Rekunta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 21

#10 Rekunta
Member since 2002 • 8275 Posts

Zelda vs. UC3? Are you joking? There's going to be a much bigger uproar if Zelda flops.

waltefmoney

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 waltefmoney
Member since 2010 • 18030 Posts

Uncharted 3 probably.

GreySeal9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 GreySeal9

I'm gonna go with the franchise with the fanbase that issued death threats over a score of 8.8.

Uncharted 3 flopping would result in a few days of damage control and mockery, Skyward Sword flopping would result in chaos.

Slashkice

I think you greatly underestimate an Uncharted 3 flop reaction. UC3 is not just any old exclusive. It is the sequel to the PS3's crown jewel, the sequel to the game that PS3 fans brag about most, the sequel to one of the best rated games of all time. Again, this is not any old game.

Also, I wouldn't be so sure Skyward Sword is going to get the same reaction as Twilight Princess did. I think that kind of reaction only happens once.

I think the reactions will be pretty close as far as how intense they are.

GreySeal9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 GreySeal9

Zelda vs. UC3? Are you joking? There's going to be a much bigger uproar if Zelda flops.

Rekunta

Just because TP had a super explosive reaction doesn't mean the SS will inevitably have the same reaction, though it could.

Also, for all you know, a UC3 flop could be extremely explosive. We don't know because it hasn't flopped yet and there's really no useful precedent.

super600

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 super600  Moderator

[QUOTE="super600"]

Have you seen the infamous 2 reaction. People were wanting to throw Tom in jail and they were throwing threats atTom.

Slashkice

I haven't seen anything outside of the usual SW stuff, but I doubt it compares to this:

Note the timestamps.

Look at the video review comments and the reaction to the video review on youtube.

AmayaPapaya

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#16 AmayaPapaya
Member since 2008 • 9029 Posts

[QUOTE="super600"]

Slashkice

I haven't seen anything outside of the usual SW stuff, but I doubt it compares to this:

Note the timestamps.

OMG that is so hilarious :lol:

musalala

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#17 musalala
Member since 2008 • 3131 Posts

Uncharted 3 will flop I can see it pulling a crysis 2. In fact skyward sword has a good chance of flopping given the whole twilight princess fiasco. Secretly I wish they both flop just to witness the unmitigated chaos that would insue :D

Zaibach

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#18 Zaibach
Member since 2007 • 13466 Posts

Even though UC3 will be phenominal, It will flop epically on GS. You can quote me on this

GreySeal9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 GreySeal9

Eh, don't know. I can see both being big flops though.

AmayaPapaya

I can too. I don't know why some people think it's so impossible.

Skyward Sword's motion plus technology might not work as well as we think it will and there can certainly be design decisions that the reviewer doesn't like or some parts of the presentation they might find a tad underwhelming.

Uncharted 3 can easily fall victim too feeling way to samey, the setpieces and action may not impressnearly on the same level that they did when UC2 released, there might be a design decision or two that the reviewer doesn't care for, they might feel the story is underwelming.

I'm just speculating, but in reality, it's realistic for any game from any series to flop.

BPoole96

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#20 BPoole96
Member since 2008 • 22818 Posts

I think it would be a bigger deal if Skyward Sword doesn't get AAA. It would be the only Non-Mario AAAE for the Wii this entire gen

GreySeal9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 GreySeal9

[QUOTE="super600"]

Slashkice

Note the timestamps.

Jesus. :?

Jeff was asued as a child?

My God.

GreySeal9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 GreySeal9

[QUOTE="GreySeal9"]

I think you greatly underestimate an Uncharted 3 flop reaction. UC3 is not just any old exclusive. It is the sequel to the PS3's crown jewel, the sequel to the game that PS3 fans brag about most, the sequel to one of the best rated games of all time. Again, this is not any old game.

Also, I wouldn't be so sure Skyward Sword is going to get the same reaction as Twilight Princess did. I think that kind of reaction only happens once.

Slashkice

Uncharted 3 is the biggest PS3 game this year, but compared to Zelda, it just doesn't compare in terms of fanbases or expectations. Uncharted 3 is following up on Among Thieves, but Skyward Sword is a Zelda game which just boasts a far richer history with Ocarina of Time, Majora's Mask, Wind Waker, A Link to the Past, and more. And it's also the first time since 2006 that we've played the franchise on a home console.

It probably won't drop a nuke like Twilight Princess, but I still think Skyward Sword will make a much bigger splash than Uncharted 3 flopping just due to the history of the franchise.

Fair enough. Actually, more than fair enough. That's a pretty good argument.

Rekunta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 21

#24 Rekunta
Member since 2002 • 8275 Posts

[QUOTE="GreySeal9"]

Slashkice

Uncharted 3 is the biggest PS3 game this year, but compared to Zelda, it just doesn't compare in terms of fanbases or expectations. Uncharted 3 is following up on Among Thieves, but Skyward Sword is a Zelda game which just boasts a far richer history with Ocarina of Time, Majora's Mask, Wind Waker, A Link to the Past, and more. And it's also the first time since 2006 that we've played the franchise on a home console.

It probably won't drop a nuke like Twilight Princess, but I still think Skyward Sword will make a much bigger splash than Uncharted 3 flopping just due to the history of the franchise.

Completely agree, well said.

Blabadon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 1

#25 Blabadon
Member since 2008 • 33030 Posts
I think Uncharted 3 would have a higher reaction and a higher chance of flopping, all kind of depends what kind of improvement from the second game McShea is looking for.
GreySeal9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 GreySeal9

I think Uncharted 3 would have a higher reaction and a higher chance of flopping, all kind of depends what kind of improvement from the second game McShea is looking for. Blabadon

Do we know for sure that Tom is going to be reviewing it?

Avatar image for coolnessmancool
coolnessmancool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 coolnessmancool
Member since 2005 • 1405 Posts

If Uncharted 3 flopped I could see it getting the bigger reaction because theres a lot more cows here then there are sheep.

Avatar image for tastetheacidmil
tastetheacidmil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 tastetheacidmil
Member since 2009 • 737 Posts

lol if uncharted 3 flopped cows would never live it down for a good long time, this place would have a field day if it flopped, alot of ps3 games have flopped big style already, uncharted 3 would be the final blow

hakanakumono

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 hakanakumono
Member since 2008 • 27455 Posts

In this forum, Uncharted 3. Sheep have already been so thoroughly demoralized by Nintendo's showing this gen that there are hardly any of them left.

aGOODdude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 aGOODdude
Member since 2010 • 444 Posts

Please tell, what score will be considered a flop for these two games? 8.5? 8?

I know we're talking about two of the biggest games of the year but you all make it sound like anything less than 9.5 = fail

GreySeal9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 GreySeal9

I know we're talking about two of the biggest games of the year but you all make it sound like anything less than 9.5 = fail

aGOODdude

Anything below 9.0 is a flop because they are both easily hyped AAA.

Mozelleple112

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 Mozelleple112
Member since 2011 • 11293 Posts

Oh wow, I just love Jeff Gersntman even more now :lol:

mrmusicman247

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 mrmusicman247
Member since 2008 • 17601 Posts
I have a feeling both with get a 9.0. If people are trying to hype these games AAAA, then yes, I believe they will both flop.
Avatar image for JasonDarksavior
JasonDarksavior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 38

#34 JasonDarksavior
Member since 2008 • 9323 Posts
Uncharted 3, that game is so hyped at the moment it can't get any higher. Expectations are extremely high, and if UC 3 flops System Wars might break...
Sgt_Crow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 Sgt_Crow
Member since 2004 • 6099 Posts
Uncharted 3, on Gamespot at least. This website/forum is infested with cows who won't stop making UC3 = king threads. :lol:
StealthMonkey4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#36 StealthMonkey4
Member since 2009 • 7434 Posts

Uncharted 3, however Sony fans can afford to have UC3 flop as they have other games to play, Skyward Sword is basically Nintendo's saving grace, Nintendo fans have almost nothing else to play so it'll be pretty bad if it flops.

RR360DD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 RR360DD
Member since 2011 • 14099 Posts

Definitely Uncharted 3. Naughty Dog actually seem to be working really hard on it and doing a lot to try and beat U2, so if it flops it will be a huge surprise and no doubt SW will go crazy.

Zelda on the other hand, eh i suspect a lot of people dont give a damn. Nintendo just keep regurgitating the same formula over and over, and it still doesnt have voice acting, not to mention the awful artstyle (although i suppose it does appeal to 3 year olds, the Wiis target audience). But yeah, if Zelda flops, it'll just be a flop due to Nintendo just playing it safe with the franchise as usual. TP already flopped, and it looks way better than Skyward Sword will be.

StealthMonkey4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#38 StealthMonkey4
Member since 2009 • 7434 Posts

aGOODdude

It depends on what their hype thread is hyped, but I believe if any of them get below a 9.0 they'll be considered flops, people will be disappointed even though people won't want to say it.

DJ-Lafleur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#39 DJ-Lafleur
Member since 2007 • 35604 Posts

Probably SS. It wouldn't be as big as TP, but I would think bigger than U3 at the very least. Zelda fans are probab;y someof the most passionate fans out there when it comes to gaming.

razgriz_101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 razgriz_101
Member since 2007 • 16875 Posts

Uncharted 3 would be a blow over like GT5 with a lot of damage control and a few of us making a good laugh out it.

Skyward sword on the other hand....twilight princess is anything to go by then be prepared be very very prepared make a troll topic at your peril type stuff.

nintendoboy16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

User Lists: 14

#41 nintendoboy16
Member since 2007 • 41575 Posts
Zelda by far.
Avatar image for deactivated-5ac102a4472fe
deactivated-5ac102a4472fe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 deactivated-5ac102a4472fe
Member since 2007 • 7431 Posts

UC3, Skyward sword will be the biggest disaster, but Cows are SO much more vocal then sheep on these boards...

Filthybastrd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 Filthybastrd
Member since 2009 • 7124 Posts

I would'nt be surprised if Uncharted 3 flopped, it's just one of several third itterations of shooters in a generation oversaturated with shooters.

SS, on the other hand is the first Wii exclusive Zelda not to mention it's almost the sole justification for the Wii's continued existance ;)

nitekids2004

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 nitekids2004
Member since 2005 • 2981 Posts

Skyward Sword. Its Zelda. nuff said.

Grawse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 Grawse
Member since 2010 • 4342 Posts

I'd say SS would be a bigger flop, but if inFAMOUS 2 is any indication UC3 would cause the bigger reaction.

Big_Pecks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#46 Big_Pecks
Member since 2010 • 5973 Posts

I say UC3, because I could actually see SS flopping.

mrmusicman247

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 mrmusicman247
Member since 2008 • 17601 Posts
Poll is almost dead even :o
foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#48 foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts
Uncharted most easily. Cows are probably going to be to that game like sheep were to Twilight Princess. "Oh no, it couldn't flop, that's impossible."
Pug-Nasty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 Pug-Nasty
Member since 2009 • 8508 Posts

I'd have a bigger reaction if U3 flopped, because I think SS looks horrible.

But the funniest flop would be GeoW 3 I think, since it's the only game for the 360.

AugustusGraham

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 AugustusGraham
Member since 2011 • 343 Posts

Uncharted 3 will flop I can see it pulling a crysis 2. In fact skyward sword has a good chance of flopping given the whole twilight princess fiasco. Secretly I wish they both flop just to witness the unmitigated chaos that would insue :D

musalala

Gears 3, Uncharted 3, Skyward Sword all get 7 or below. BF3 gets an 8 and MW3 gets a 9.5 or 10! This is the rapture day of system wars when cows, sheep, lemmings and hermits all come together and QQ moar.