Which has the best picture quality for gaming? LED, Plasma or Projector?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Xtasy26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 53

User Lists: 0

Edited By Xtasy26

Poll Which has the best picture quality for gaming? LED, Plasma or Projector? (55 votes)

HD LED 38%
HD Plasma 53%
HD Projector 9%

So, I am thinking about setting up a gaming setup in my basement with a screen size that is 60" or more and hook up my Gaming PC's HD 6970 to it so I can play games on the big screen in FULL HD 1080P. I plan to heavily use my Xbox 360 Windows wireless controller and for the occasional FPS I will use my Logitech wireless keyboard and mouse.

But the question is which technology will give me the best picture quality for gaming? Since I am a graphics whore (which is obvious since I game on the PC :P), I would like to see the vibrant colors, where black is black, great constrast. I have gamed on 50" Plasma and my PC's Samsung 23" LED monitor which worked flawlessly but I have seen in large LED's like 46" inch or higher where I have seen this ghosting effect. For example, if you move your gun for example from left to right, there will be trail left from certain angles where there would be ghosting effect of the image of your gun moving from left to right. Also in movies, where there would be ghosting, that would be visible from certain angels. Something that I haven't seen in Plasma or smalled LED's like PC monitors. Not sure if that was just an anamoly. Also, I have read and feel that it is accurate about claims that Plasma's offer better color with respect to moving objects eventhough they are darker than LED's. As for the projector, I just though I would add that in since with a prjoector that would easily give you 80" or more. Not sure about the quality of the picture with respect to blacks being black, color contrast, picture quality when compared to Plasma or LED ( I am assuming it's the worst of the three). From my research Plasma's seem to provide the best natural color, contrast, etc. eventhough they are slightly darker than LED's. So, I have my sight's on those. But correct me if I am wrong.

And I don't plan to break the bank, all three would have to be in the $1000- $1500 range.

I thought this topic would be important to other gamers as well since we all talk about graphics but rarely which one provides the best QUALITY of graphics.

• 
GioVela2010

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#1 GioVela2010
Member since 2008 • 5566 Posts

Plasma obviously

If the darkness of a Plasma concerns you than get Samsungs latest Plasmas. They get 2-3 times brighter than all other Plasmas

Chutebox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 Chutebox
Member since 2007 • 50563 Posts

Plasma

GotNugz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By GotNugz
Member since 2010 • 681 Posts

Dont listen to these guys saying plasma. If anything they are becoming an outdated technology that is dangerous, heavy and overly expensive. Go with an led, they are extremely lightweight, great contrast, cheaper, and don't suck nearly as much power as plasma. Lets not forget they are much thinner than others.

superclocked

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By superclocked
Member since 2009 • 5864 Posts

I prefer HD projectors. There's nothing like playing on a 150" or bigger screen...

GotNugz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 GotNugz
Member since 2010 • 681 Posts

@superclocked: this is true but that is almost too big if it is only a 1080 projector. If I'm getting something at that size it has to 4k. My 55 inch is the limit of what I'm willing to accept for full he until I plunge into a 4k screen in the next few years.

Couth_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Couth_
Member since 2008 • 10369 Posts

lmao OP.. PC gaming at 1080p is going to look like crap at that size..

The answer to your poll is Plasma.. The answer to your post is a 1440p IPS monitor...I guess you could make the case for a projector for higher than 1080p, but I personally can't stand the lack of color

GTSaiyanjin2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#8 GTSaiyanjin2
Member since 2005 • 6018 Posts

Panasonic plasma, they have very low input lag... welll some of them. Also Sony's new W802A, and W900A have the lowest input lag of any TV out there. If you play MP games input lag may be important to you. But the Panasonic ST60 has some of the best PQ out of any TV out there, especially for its price. I would recommend the Panasonic S60 myself, its what I ended up getting myself. Love it, and for its price, it was a steal.

NVIDIATI

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By NVIDIATI
Member since 2010 • 8463 Posts

Plasma.

Projector can be a great option, if done right.

Xtasy26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 53

#10  Edited By Xtasy26
Member since 2008 • 5582 Posts

@GotNugz said:

@superclocked: this is true but that is almost too big if it is only a 1080 projector. If I'm getting something at that size it has to 4k. My 55 inch is the limit of what I'm willing to accept for full he until I plunge into a 4k screen in the next few years.

Interesting and seems logical. If your were to take the pixels generated by 1080P and blow it up to say 100" or higher it would look worse I suppose. That would be like taking 1024x768 and blowing that up in like 32"+ monitor.

If you go to a Movie Theater where they use film, the pixels in film are much larger, even larger than 4K I believe.

NVIDIATI

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By NVIDIATI
Member since 2010 • 8463 Posts

@GotNugz: All of the displays with the best picture quality are plasmas from Pioneer, Panasonic, and Samsung.

Gue1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#12  Edited By Gue1
Member since 2004 • 12171 Posts

I really don't know what to tell you because they all have their pros and cons.

Plasmas offer better image quality than LED and are much cheaper. The tech has evolved a lot, so they suffer of burn-in more less the same as LED. They use more electricity and run hotter.

LEDs are brighter, so you can put them virtually anywhere. They are more expensive than plasmas by quite a lot but they use less energy, so they run cooler. Of-course the blacks are not as good as plasmas because of the back-light (this is their double edge sword: brighter but ruins the blacks).

I don't know crap about projectors but I heard they are the best for gaming. But only if you buy an expensive one.

GhoX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

#13 GhoX
Member since 2006 • 6267 Posts

If you are going big, might as well get a 4K TV or 6 4K monitors. The only downside is that they will break your bank, but if you are going 60" and don't enjoy mosaic-style graphics, then that's the price. A decent 1440p monitor should cost you at least 500. A decent 4k monitor should cost you around 3k. A decent 4k TV will cost you a lot.

You can give this a try: http://www.amazon.com/Seiki-Digital-SE50UY04-50-Inch-120Hz/dp/B00BXF7I9M

To be fair its price seems way too low for what it offers. Chances are there may be broken pixels or backlight leaking issues. However, you can usually get things replaced if that happens, just expect a lot more hassles. It may be worth the effort considering how much you are potentially saving.

Couth_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Couth_
Member since 2008 • 10369 Posts

@GhoX said:

If you are going big, might as well get a 4K TV or 6 4K monitors. The only downside is that they will break your bank, but if you are going 60" and don't enjoy mosaic-style graphics, then that's the price. A decent 1440p monitor should cost you at least 500. A decent 4k monitor should cost you around 3k. A decent 4k TV will cost you a lot.

You can give this a try:

http://www.amazon.com/Seiki-Digital-SE50UY04-50-Inch-120Hz/dp/B00BXF7I9M

To be fair its price seems way too low for what it offers. Chances are there may be broken pixels or backlight leaking issues. However, you can usually get things replaced if that happens, just expect a lot more hassles. It may be worth the effort considering how much you are potentially saving.

4k is out of the question.. No current GPU is going to push 4k and OP only has a 6970.. 1440p can be had for $3-500. Best bet would be a 1440p IPS and upgrade the GPU

Gue1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Gue1
Member since 2004 • 12171 Posts

@GhoX said:

You can give this a try:

4k it's pointless since there is no content and the upscaling will degrade the image quality of console games a lot. On top of it, that TV is the worst thing you can recommend to anybody. It has incredibly bad latency, ghosting, horrible blacks, only 30hz, etc.

A review from Cnet: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0JVRxsYYY0Y

GioVela2010

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 GioVela2010

@NVIDIATI:

Unfortunately most people sit too close for their huge 1080p projection screen, and have light they can't block out

the_bi99man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 the_bi99man
Member since 2004 • 11465 Posts

Obviously plasma. Shit's magic. It even makes low-res console games look better than if there were higher res, and increases framerates through some kind of voodoo.

Blabadon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 1

#18  Edited By Blabadon
Member since 2008 • 33030 Posts

I used a projector that was 720p for years in my basement and was quite satisfied with it. Still am.

Thing is, I've moved away from the whole mancave idea. I just don't like going down to my basement to play a game. Beyond that, my projector's bulb required a cooldown between sessions, meaning that I really had one dedicated session during my freetime at most.

I use my consoles upstairs on my TV and am pretty happy with that. Easier to just play for a short amount of time, I can switch to TV during loading screens, no cooldown sessions, etc. I might change that again soon.

KHAndAnime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By KHAndAnime
Member since 2009 • 17565 Posts

Plasma. I own 2 Panasonic Plasma TVs, and they're the best looking TVs I've seen anyone own. Even people I know who are wealthier with more expensive TVs, happen to pick really big televisions with really crappy IQ. I'm just glad I managed to nab one of the best 42" Plasma's, Panasonic's last 42" model. It was only $400 too, ;)

scoots9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#20 scoots9
Member since 2006 • 3505 Posts

HD CRT forever.

adamosmaki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#21  Edited By adamosmaki
Member since 2007 • 10718 Posts

I highly suggest going into an electronics store and decide there.

I will suggest though we not go from now 4k ( although you will probably gonna need a better gpu or crossfire that 6950 ).

Looking at Amazon de and Amazon Uk you can get a Samsung 4k for about 3500 euros or a Hisense for 2000euros (probably even cheaper in US ). But again if you can go to a store and check the quality yourself is the best think to do

adamosmaki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#22 adamosmaki
Member since 2007 • 10718 Posts

@Gue1 said:

@GhoX said:

You can give this a try:

4k it's pointless since there is no content and the upscaling will degrade the image quality of console games a lot. On top of it, that TV is the worst thing you can recommend to anybody. It has incredibly bad latency, ghosting, horrible blacks, only 30hz, etc.

A review from Cnet: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0JVRxsYYY0Y

except he said he is gaming on Pc and content is already there. And while concerns about 30hz are true Also Panasonic launched 4k/60hz tv's ( though they are pricer than the already other expensive 4k tv's )

cain006

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 38

#23 cain006
Member since 2008 • 8625 Posts

@magicalclick: A real LED tv would probably cost around $100000. We won't be seeing those any time soon.

StormyJoe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 StormyJoe
Member since 2011 • 7806 Posts

Plasma... until OLED comes out, at least!

Snugenz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Snugenz
Member since 2006 • 13388 Posts

They all have their upsides and downsides, as far as image quality is concerned Plasma is the winner.

Kinthalis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#26  Edited By Kinthalis
Member since 2002 • 5503 Posts

Plasma will give you the best picture.... unfortunatley they tend to suffer from bad input latency. The other issue is that they still suffer from burn in, even though it's less than older models. So try not to spend significant amounts of time on menus or on the desktop.

So make sure you check on input latency BEFORE you purchase, and input latency is NOT response time. Dont just ask the sales guy. Look up input latency for the model online FIRST. You want somehting that is around 30ms or less. Which I think will be hard to find on a Plasma.

Basinboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Basinboy
Member since 2003 • 14496 Posts

Plasma is the highest quality image, but price and its lesser shelf life drag it down

LED is the way to go (or OLED, IMO)

btk2k2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 btk2k2
Member since 2003 • 440 Posts

Panasonic Plasmas (GT, VT and ZT especially) are the best followed by the high end Samsung plasmas. The Panasonics especially are cheaper than an LCD with comparable image quality and to be honest nothing touches the VT or the ZT, not even the legendary Pioneer Kuro.

If you game in a brightly lit room the LCD/LED is better because they have brighter screens although worse black levels.

Projectors are also great and are cheaper for large screens. A 100 inch projected screen will be more immersive than a 60 inch Plasma or LCD even if the picture quality is objectively worse.

Avatar image for deactivated-57d8401f17c55
deactivated-57d8401f17c55

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#29 deactivated-57d8401f17c55
Member since 2012 • 7221 Posts

@Basinboy said:

Plasma is the highest quality image, but price and its lesser shelf life drag it down

LED is the way to go (or OLED, IMO)

The biggest issue with Plasma is buzzing. That is the biggest reason to go with LED, and good LED's still look fantastic.

OLED will be the holy grail but it's years away.

GioVela2010

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 GioVela2010

@btk2k2:

There are Plasmas out their that can handle bright lit rooms better than LED LCD's

donalbane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By donalbane
Member since 2003 • 16383 Posts

Plasmas are cheaper and have better image quality. The downside is that they use more energy, can be hot and occasionally will buzz. But they are great sets... I highly recommend Panasonic.

danlevm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#32 danlevm
Member since 2013 • 289 Posts

I actually paid 5600 us for my 55 in led top end sony. games look amazing on my ps3/xbox 360, my girlfriend has 1 55 lg plasma and she paid 800 for her tv at it looks almost as good as my tv. the colors actually look better on her set. mine is just all around sharper. I think my nest tv will be a high end plasma.

Avatar image for APiranhaAteMyVa
APiranhaAteMyVa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 APiranhaAteMyVa
Member since 2011 • 4160 Posts

Plasma. Handles motion better, better black levels and the newer Panasonic and Samsung displays are pretty bright, so are decent in most lighting conditions now.

sukraj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#34 sukraj
Member since 2008 • 27859 Posts

I prefer LED TV's.

BlbecekBobecek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#35 BlbecekBobecek
Member since 2006 • 2949 Posts

@superclocked said:

I prefer HD projectors. There's nothing like playing on a 150" or bigger screen...

Nah, I got fullHD projector playing on a screen of similar size and I strongly don't recommend it. Its excellent for games like Soul Calibur or Call of Duty, but try playing text-heavy games like Deus Ex HR on it. Everything is blurry, it is tricky to focus it properly and even when focused really well reading the texts is not very comfortable.

Another disadvantage of projectors is that you need a really dark room to play in.

Plasma is a good option. I use 50" 1080p 600hz plasma TV and as far as I know there is nothing better for gaming. I thought 50" will be too much when I bought it but now I regret I didnt buy bigger.

clyde46

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 clyde46
Member since 2005 • 49061 Posts

@donalbane said:

Plasmas are cheaper and have better image quality. The downside is that they use more energy, can be hot and occasionally will buzz. But they are great sets... I highly recommend Panasonic.

Panny aren't making plasma's anymore :(

Avatar image for enviouseyezonme
EnviousEyezOnMe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#39 EnviousEyezOnMe
Member since 2013 • 272 Posts

Going to have to agree with the majority here and say Plasma. Over the last few years I've been through a few different Sony & Samsung LCD/LED sets until I got a 65" Panasonic Plasma a few months ago and never looked back! I've always doubted plasmas and heard bad things but if you "break it in" properly, my god, do they get better looking as they age. lol

Avatar image for ReadingRainbow4
ReadingRainbow4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#40 ReadingRainbow4
Member since 2012 • 18733 Posts

We need OLED to come down in price.

Jakandsigz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 Jakandsigz
Member since 2013 • 6341 Posts

Laser Screens from the 70's. They are the most reliable and the most clear but used to cost hundreds of thousands to produce. Now, it may cost as much as a 3D tv.

NoodleFighter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 NoodleFighter
Member since 2011 • 11797 Posts

@adamosmaki said:

I highly suggest going into an electronics store and decide there.

I will suggest though we not go from now 4k ( although you will probably gonna need a better gpu or crossfire that 6950 ).

Looking at Amazon de and Amazon Uk you can get a Samsung 4k for about 3500 euros or a Hisense for 2000euros (probably even cheaper in US ). But again if you can go to a store and check the quality yourself is the best think to do

Awesome heads up for the samsung 4K Tvs I see they even have 3D capability along with 3D glasses if only they had bigger sizes like 85" I'd save money for it.