Which console is in most need of a successor?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Supernova_86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 Supernova_86
Member since 2007 • 517 Posts

We all know that all of the current consoles (360, Wii, PSP3, PSP and DS) will be around for a good number of years. However, which console/handheld is in the most need of having a successor? Here are my thoughts:

Xbox 360: Not much need for a successor. Some PS3 fans may criticise the 360 for using regular DVD as the storage medium, and may point out that not all 360s have a hard drive, but I still see the 360 having a long life span because many games nowadays still don't go beyond 8.5gb. If anything, the 360 needsa 65nm chipset revision for lower power consumption, less heating and overall more reliability.

PS3: This console has almost no need for a successor. Thanks to Blu-ray, you can rest assured that most games in the future will never exceed one disc. It also has a mandatory hard drive. It will be silly for the PS3 to get a successor anytime soon because the PS4 will be too expensive if it is a huge leap in technology from the PS3. If people are saying the PS3 is too expesnive right now, then the PS4 won't be coming anytime soon.

Wii: Many people regard the Wii to be a Xbox 1 (in terms of graphics) with motion sensing. It is unknown when Nintendo will give this console a successor within 5 years, but Nintendo has always held onto the assumption that consumers want a low price, not so much graphics. The Wii is also designed for increasing the gaming population, so having a successor may not help.

PSP: This handheld is in desperate need for a successor. No, the graphics are fine for a handheld. What the PSP2 really needs is a second analog stick. I cannot undesrtand why Sony did not put the second analog stick in the first place. Having a second analog stick will greatly benefit the PSP2, especially for FPS games. If the PSP2 had Sixaxis motion sensing, then I can see it it being almost as innovative as the DS touch screen when combined with dual analog sticks. Man, that would be awesome. Oh, and a storage media that has faster loading times, and better battery life will also be welcome.

DS: Same opinions on this as the Wii.

Your thoughts?

chutup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#2 chutup
Member since 2005 • 7656 Posts
Arcade machines. Damn they were a good way to waste money.
daveg1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#4 daveg1
Member since 2005 • 20405 Posts
dont you think this is a bit premature?
Meu2k7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Meu2k7
Member since 2007 • 11809 Posts

Microsoft, they got great competitive play & online system but phailed at marketing.

"Do Do Do" in Japan ... why didnt they just Translate "Jump In"?

Dencore

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#6 Dencore
Member since 2006 • 7094 Posts

Arcade machines. Damn they were a good way to waste money.chutup

Quoted for Truth.

Avatar image for NobuoMusicMaker
NobuoMusicMaker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 NobuoMusicMaker
Member since 2005 • 6628 Posts

Arcade machines. Damn they were a good way to waste money.chutup

Though they aren't so pravelent, arcades are actually doing really well. Some of the best arcade racers will gobble up a person's wallet. I know I would spend like 40 bucks a night on Wangan.

But arcades suck in NA. I live in the most Oriental part of this continent (it's not SoCal) and we have the arcades. I doubt it will be like Japanese arcade shops where arcade gaming is wildly more popular there.

Supernova_86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Supernova_86
Member since 2007 • 517 Posts

dont you think this is a bit premature?daveg1

Okay I admit it may sound too early, but I am taking the future into consideration.

0rin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#9 0rin
Member since 2006 • 7179 Posts
Honestly, I've considered this topic, and weighing the options, and trying to leave as much fanboy out of this as I can

Xbox 360. A fine machine, to be sure. And with the addition of the elite, It makes its appeal that much more fruitful to the consumer. However, In order to compete with the PS3 (since that IS its main source of competition), It should have a standard hard drive, an HD media format (Blu-ray idealy), and their online service should really be knocked down to free. (if Sony can do it, why can't Microsoft? and don't give me the quality speech, Home is going to take care of most all of a gamers needs). What really makes me think that Microsoft is going to either A: Redesign, or B: come out with the next line in the Xbox series, is the current lack of a stock HD media format. Games are inevitably going to get bigger. The more space the merrier. Why not upgrade to what people will *actually* be using in 10 years, instead of now.

Now.. NONE of this is guaranteed (obviously). The 360 has sufficient hardware (when it works), to last it through this gen. But the lack of other competitive features is definately not helping. I also fail to see why they didn't include at least a built-in HD-DVD or Blu-ray player in the 360 elite. And I highly doubt its because "OMGOMG SONY R HAEV BLU-RAY!". Sony had DVD as well, that didn't stop MS from using it. (nothing wrong with that). So in closing. I just think the 360 is going to have to do something about these issues in the next 5 years, give or take.

As for the Wii, I have no idea what the hell Nintendo is doing. They are so "different" that they are in a catagory of their own. So yeah..

Anyway, the PS3 is fine in terms of their hardware being future proof. Once (if) they take hold in the market (via price drops, and game selection), they will be "bringing on the future" at an excelerated pace. Meaning the PS3 will increase sales of 1080p TV's, Blu-ray media, and 7.1 surround sound systems. I can honestly see the PS3 playing a major role in this generations home entertainment system. But there I go being a fanboy I guess. :/

EDIT: Oh yeah, and about handhelds, I can almost definately say that Sony has to do something about the PSP. Either by coming out with more games that use cross-connectivity (like the F1 rearview mirror thing), or just redesign it all together. Whilst redesigning it to make it lighter and thinner is a step forward, its not what people want i don't think. I'm pretty sure people wanted another joystick (which IMO doesn't sound like it would work too well on the current PSP's design), and possibly a different source of media interface...? i dunno. All i can think of is the second joystick. Outside of that, I like the PSP.

However, I'm sure the PSP2 will have a second joystick, and better graphics. And most likely, a completely different design (to allow more comfort when using the second joystick).

The DS is "yet another classic" from Nintendo, that will stand the test of time, no matter how old it gets. It really is a pretty solid handheld, and if I didn't have my PSP, I'd probably get a DS. (one handheld is enough for me).
Dencore

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Dencore

[QUOTE="chutup"]Arcade machines. Damn they were a good way to waste money.NobuoMusicMaker

Though they aren't so pravelent, arcades are actually doing really well. Some of the best arcade racers will gobble up a person's wallet. I know I would spend like 40 bucks a night on Wangan.

But arcades suck in NA. I live in the most Oriental part of this continent (it's not SoCal) and we have the arcades. I doubt it will be like Japanese arcade shops where arcade gaming is wildly more popular there.

I'm convinced that I'm the only person on these boards who lives in the West that has an awesome arcade somewhat close to him.

Soul Caliber III, Tekken 5, Capcom vs. SNK 2, King of Fighter '98,Ghost Squad, Time Crisis 2,3,and 4, LA Machine Guns, Lost World, After Burner: Climax, DDR Supernova, DDR Extreme, Seven Seas Adventure, BeachHead, SEGA GT, Crusin' USA, and MechWarror 4. :)

I find it funny that people are hyping Ghost Squad and Time Crisis 4 since I've already played them. Seriously hypers don't hype them they both suck.

Time Crisis 4 = Biggest dissapointment and low point of the series ever.

Chaos_HL21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#11 Chaos_HL21
Member since 2003 • 5288 Posts

NobuoMusicMaker

Yeah the Arcades here pale in compairision to the ones in Japan (and they are so much fun). There are also alot more Arcades in Japan

0rin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#12 0rin
Member since 2006 • 7179 Posts
[QUOTE="NobuoMusicMaker"]

[QUOTE="chutup"]Arcade machines. Damn they were a good way to waste money.Dencore

I'm convinced that I'm the only person on these boards who lives in the West that has an awesome arcade somewhat close to him.

Soul Caliber III, Tekken 5, Capcom vs. SNK 2, King of Fighter '98,Ghost Squad, Time Crisis 2,3,and 4, LA Machine Guns, Lost World, After Burner: Climax, DDR Supernova, DDR Extreme, Seven Seas Adventure, BeachHead, SEGA GT, Crusin' USA, and MechWarror 4. :)

I find it funny that people are hyping Ghost Squad and Time Crisis 4 since I've already played them. Seriously hypers don't hype them they both suck.

Time Crisis 4 = Biggest dissapointment and low point of the series ever.

THERES A MECHWARRIOR 4 ARCADE?!!!! OH MY GOD!!!
Dencore

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Dencore
^^^^^It's not as good as you think. Think of it as a warm up gem of some sorts then a killer app.