Which console can produce the better graphics?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

zbdyx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 0

#1 zbdyx
Member since 2007 • 2055 Posts

I just got into an argument with a sony fanboy who was very serious about his comparisons. He said PS3 was better in every sense. So I ask you, which system (with all the resources) could produce the better graphics?

nitromuffin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#2 nitromuffin
Member since 2007 • 972 Posts
ps3
WllDan7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#3 WllDan7
Member since 2004 • 2581 Posts

The ps4. It will have way better graphics then the graphics kings of today.

Avatar image for ___gamemaster__
___gamemaster__

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#4 ___gamemaster__
Member since 2009 • 3348 Posts

WII

*run away*

MonsieurX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 MonsieurX
Member since 2008 • 39858 Posts
PC.
zbdyx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 zbdyx
PC.MonsieurX
Well, that's the obvious answer. Also, it's not a console, it is a god.
67gt500

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#7 67gt500
Member since 2003 • 4627 Posts
It's widely accepted that, for now, the most graphically impressive console games are on PS3... doesn't mean that xbox360 couldn't be at par given the same development effort / resources, but for now the console graphics king crown belongs with PS3...
ElTriforceo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 ElTriforceo
Member since 2009 • 1130 Posts

PS3. I don't know why people can't accept that the PS3 wins in this area and maybe loses in some. They should focus on the ones it loses in, not the one it clearly wins in.

zbdyx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 zbdyx

PS3. I don't know why people can't accept that the PS3 wins in this area and maybe loses in some. They should focus on the ones it loses in, not the one it clearly wins in.

ElTriforceo
Not that I don't accept it, it's that I thought the 360 had a more powerful GPU.
windsquid9000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 windsquid9000
Member since 2009 • 3206 Posts
[QUOTE="MonsieurX"]PC.zbdyx
Well, that's the obvious answer. Also, it's not a console, it is a god.

What a response... :D Anyway from what I've seen, it's the PS3, but we'll have to wait for Crysis 2 for confirmation on which one can produce better visuals.
worknow222

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#11 worknow222
Member since 2007 • 1816 Posts

there the same i mean look at all these ps3 graphx kings now look at crysis 2 engine demo on 360 the crysis 2 engine looks better than them so in the end if a game thats open ended can look better than those linear games doesnt it show that the 360 and ps3 are the same,

AmayaPapaya

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#12 AmayaPapaya
Member since 2008 • 9029 Posts

The graphics are similar enough that no one should care. If you are honestly braging about Graphics when you have a console you make no sence. If you care so much, just get a PC and you will always win a graphics war.

RyuRanVII

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 RyuRanVII
Member since 2006 • 4257 Posts
PC running an Atari 2600 emulator.
ixbadboy001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#14 ixbadboy001
Member since 2004 • 48 Posts

PS3 by far...lol ;)

ronvalencia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#15 ronvalencia
Member since 2008 • 29612 Posts

I just got into an argument with a sony fanboy who was very serious about his comparisons. He said PS3 was better in every sense. So I ask you, which system (with all the resources) could produce the better graphics?

zbdyx
Depends on the software.
GhoX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

#16 GhoX
Member since 2006 • 6267 Posts
PC > PS3 > 360 -PC can have absolutely the best graphics and the best hardware to support the said best graphics. Multi-plats, the ones that do make it onto the PC, tend to always have superior graphics in the form of AA, AF, higher framerate, much higher resolution, and if the game becomes popular enough graphical overhaul/hi-res texture mods may also become available for enhancing the graphics. High-end PC exclusives tend to be unmatched when it comes to graphics. (e.g. Crysis and more recently Stalker CoP) -PS3 has relatively alright hardware, capable enough to display graphics superior to 360 if not for the programming difficulty most 360/PC-type games would experience when porting to the platform, thus in some cases multi-plat end up with equal or worse graphics than same games on 360. Their exclusive titles, without the limitation of programming difficulty, tend to look much better than 360. -360 has crappy hardware, and you get what you see. In most cases the graphics appear bearable in 720p, and in some cases where a game favors the 360 platform more it may even be competitive against PS3 quality, especially due to better resolution scaling. However in some "bad ports" (yep, some games get ported from PC to console), i.e. Dragon Age Origins, the graphical difference between a 360 and PS3 is massive. I am a graphics whore. I enjoy spending thousands for the best of the best graphics. :D Still, even then graphics, while important, is only a single element of what makes a game great. So if your friend said that "PS3 was better in every sense", rather than charging head on at PS3's one strong point, you should point out the programming difficulty/incompatibility and gameplay matters.
ElTriforceo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 ElTriforceo
Member since 2009 • 1130 Posts
[QUOTE="ElTriforceo"]

zbdyx
Not that I don't accept it, it's that I thought the 360 had a more powerful GPU.

OK so it is better in a single area. The PS3 has better CPU. CPU and GPU aren't the only factors in determining power, and the PS3 wins in almost all the other factors....
ritz2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 ritz2
Member since 2009 • 129 Posts

[QUOTE="zbdyx"][QUOTE="ElTriforceo"]

ElTriforceo

OK so it is better in a single area. The PS3 has better CPU. CPU and GPU aren't the only factors in determining power, and the PS3 wins in almost all the other factors....

...Like?

GhoX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

#19 GhoX
Member since 2006 • 6267 Posts
[QUOTE="zbdyx"][QUOTE="ElTriforceo"]

ElTriforceo

Xbox operates more similar to a PC than PS3, since both Xbox and PC rely on GPUs for rendering graphics. PS3 does not have a GPU. PS3 only has a crazy eight-core CPU that takes all the graphics on by itself. Ideally this CPU is capable of rendering decent graphics, as seen in Uncharted 2, Heavy Rain and GOWIII. However no matter how good this CPU is, it cannot emulate a GPU anywhere near the word "efficient". This alone would add difficulty when a developer wants to port a Xbox/PC-type game over to PS3, adapting the way the graphics usually are processed to PS3's cell. It's often too time-consuming and expensive to port a game "perfectly" to PS3, and so PS3 versions of some games actually experience equal if not worse performance/quality than their Xbox cousins.
painguy1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 painguy1
Member since 2007 • 8686 Posts

[QUOTE="ElTriforceo"][QUOTE="zbdyx"] Not that I don't accept it, it's that I thought the 360 had a more powerful GPU. GhoX

Xbox operates more similar to a PC than PS3, since both Xbox and PC rely on GPUs for rendering graphics. PS3 does not have a GPU. PS3 only has a crazy eight-core CPU that takes all the graphics on by itself. Ideally this CPU is capable of rendering decent graphics, as seen in Uncharted 2, Heavy Rain and GOWIII. However no matter how good this CPU is, it cannot emulate a GPU anywhere near the word "efficient". This alone would add difficulty when a developer wants to port a Xbox/PC-type game over to PS3, adapting the way the graphics usually are processed to PS3's cell. It's often too time-consuming and expensive to port a game "perfectly" to PS3, and so PS3 versions of some games actually experience equal if not worse performance/quality than their Xbox cousins.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA:lol: :P. u do not know what ur talking about. the ps3 has the RSX (which is the GPU) and has the cell (its CPU). Sry dude but do some research next time before u post something. Anyway @ TC, the PS3 has a better CPU, but the 360 has a better GPU.

A good example is crysis. The 360 version looks slightly better, but throttles and loads slower (due to a weird RAM issue) while the PS3 version loads faster and does not throttle, but looks slightly worse than its 360 counter part. its already documented on crytek.

@GhoX. i didnt mean to offend i apologize, but i just want to clarfy that there is no way a CPU can do what a dedicated GPU can especcially at the level of this gen. Software run games were back in the early 90's

MagicMan4597

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 MagicMan4597
Member since 2007 • 413 Posts

Right now the PS3 is showing off its graphical capabilities, but the PS3 and 360 can basically achieve the same level of graphics if given the resources and development.

iKINGBOBi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 iKINGBOBi
Member since 2009 • 1083 Posts

PC.MonsieurX

What was the point of saying that when you know he was speaking of consoles. What is with Hermits:?

iKINGBOBi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 iKINGBOBi
Member since 2009 • 1083 Posts

PS3 hands down has the best graphics capabilities, when devs take advantage of the Cell. Just look at PS3 exclusives vs 360 exclusives, there's no comparison.

Mr_BillGates

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Mr_BillGates
Member since 2005 • 3211 Posts

Console multiplats are pointing fingers to 360's ATI GPU.

Teuf_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Teuf_
Member since 2004 • 30805 Posts

It doesn't really matter. It almost always comes down to developer experience/budget/talent.

Dataleak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Dataleak
Member since 2010 • 1737 Posts

[QUOTE="MonsieurX"]PC.iKINGBOBi

What was the point of saying that when you know he was speaking of consoles. What is with Hermits:?

:lol: I have some sort of subliminal mechanism inside of me that triggers, making me laugh hysterically when I see that Kakashi icon.

Well, coming from a PC gamer, I have not seen anything on the PS3 that isn't capable on the 360. I'd say the PS3 slightly beats the 360, but only down to extreme nitpickingly scale.

VanDammFan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 VanDammFan
Member since 2009 • 4783 Posts

PC.MonsieurX

Excuse me..I think I just threw up in my mouth....looks up to check title of thread...Yea I was right, PC was not mentioned.

CAPSROGUE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 CAPSROGUE
Member since 2008 • 863 Posts

[QUOTE="MonsieurX"]PC.iKINGBOBi

And what's the point of making these threads when we all know out of all consoles the PS3 produces the best graphics?

Avatar image for deactivated-5ec2b2cb7a41e
deactivated-5ec2b2cb7a41e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#29 deactivated-5ec2b2cb7a41e
Member since 2008 • 2058 Posts

TEH CELL man, thats all i can say. TEH CELLplus blu ray...

Ontain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#30 Ontain
Member since 2005 • 25501 Posts
360 for better shader. ps3 for better physics. better looking just depends on the type of game and how devs use the hardware. both have advantages and disadvantages.