When will gaming die?

• 53 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

mand_450

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

User Lists: 0

#1 mand_450
Member since 2005 • 278 Posts

Simple question: when will gaming die? A grim question indeed, but aquestion non the less.

Answer wisely, for your answer may be true one day (Sinister Laughter). :twisted:

HarlockJC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#2 HarlockJC
Member since 2006 • 25546 Posts
I think it will be on a Tuesday
mand_450

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 mand_450

I think it will be on a Tuesday HarlockJC

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

Boomarley

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#4 Boomarley
Member since 2006 • 897 Posts

Try asking literature. You know, that old geezer who many people assume is dead in the eyes of the youth, yet is still alive and kicking.

Mercenary848

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#5 Mercenary848
Member since 2007 • 12141 Posts

Never

TR800

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#6 TR800
Member since 2009 • 1814 Posts
Never probaly.
cody3232

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 cody3232
Member since 2007 • 877 Posts

If development costs keep escalating the way they are it could very well happen in about 2 or 3 gens.

Avatar image for Nintendo_Ownes7
Nintendo_Ownes7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#8 Nintendo_Ownes7
Member since 2005 • 30973 Posts

Never if Movies, Books, and Music are still around gaming will be around. It might not be video games but it will still be around. Gaming was around long before tv, PCs, and Consoles it was stuff like Board games or other types of games.

shadow_hosi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#9 shadow_hosi
Member since 2006 • 9543 Posts
when shiggy dies who will be left to come up with ideas for everyone?
Zerocrossings

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Zerocrossings
Member since 2006 • 7988 Posts

I dont know but itswould be theday i die as well.

Syferonik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Syferonik
Member since 2006 • 3060 Posts
More and more people getting into gaming so it just can't die
Mckenna1845

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Mckenna1845
Member since 2005 • 4410 Posts
definitely the nuclear fallout anwser.
Mckenna1845

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Mckenna1845
Member since 2005 • 4410 Posts
[QUOTE="shadow_hosi"]when shiggy dies who will be left to come up with ideas for everyone?

his son or daughter if he has one. if not someone get him a lady for some sexy time.
shadow_hosi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 shadow_hosi
[QUOTE="Mckenna1845"][QUOTE="shadow_hosi"]when shiggy dies who will be left to come up with ideas for everyone?

his son or daughter if he has one. if not someone get him a lady for some sexy time.

im pretty sure his children wont have whatever gene he has in is body that makes him constantly high on every drug ever. i mean how else do you think he came up with mario eatn shrooms, and a monkey named donkey
mand_450

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 mand_450

[QUOTE="shadow_hosi"]when shiggy dies who will be left to come up with ideas for everyone?Mckenna1845

I think his son wants to be a pro surfer. I also think he has a daughter, but that she doesn't have any interest in gaming either.

Avatar image for Nintendo_Ownes7
Nintendo_Ownes7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Nintendo_Ownes7
Member since 2005 • 30973 Posts

[QUOTE="Mckenna1845"][QUOTE="shadow_hosi"]when shiggy dies who will be left to come up with ideas for everyone?shadow_hosi

im pretty sure his children wont have whatever gene he has in is body that makes him constantly high on every drug ever. i mean how else do you think he came up with mario eatn shrooms, and a monkey named donkey

He came up with the name for Donkey Kong. was he looked in the Dictionary for Stubborn and they used it in a sentence "Stubborn as a Donkey" So he called him Donkey because Donkey's are Stubborn. Kong is because everyone associates the word Kong with Gorilla.

Also Miyamoto's children don't make games but he is training his successors.

Avatar image for deactivated-63f6895020e66
deactivated-63f6895020e66

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 deactivated-63f6895020e66
Member since 2004 • 21177 Posts
March 12, 2023. At 4:44 PM (GTM).
Dr_Snood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Dr_Snood
Member since 2008 • 2547 Posts
I went with option 3, but since we have all played fallout 3 we should know how to survive the nuclear fallout.
shadow_hosi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 shadow_hosi
I went with option 3, but since we have all played fallout 3 we should know how to survive the nuclear fallout.Dr_Snood
dont feed the yao guai
n00bkid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#20 n00bkid
Member since 2006 • 4163 Posts
When they force you to stand up and sweat...*cough* WII *cough*
scar-hawk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#21 scar-hawk
Member since 2008 • 5404 Posts
Nevah. I won't let it happen XD
sikanderahmed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 sikanderahmed
Member since 2007 • 5444 Posts

when Nintendo, Sony and MS build systems to attract non-gamers, well nintendo has done their part of killing the gaming, now its up to sony and MS and they are focusing a lot on things that attract non-gamers...meaning it wont be long till gaming dies

Senor_Kami

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Senor_Kami
Member since 2008 • 8529 Posts
The day that people stop liking "fun" is the day gaming dies. People have been playing games for thousands of years and will likely play them until the human race is extinct.
killerfist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#24 killerfist
Member since 2005 • 20155 Posts
In 2012
Lemmywinks_360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Lemmywinks_360
Member since 2007 • 1996 Posts

When next gen starts. Every system will have motion controls and will ultimately be dead to me.

Boomarley

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#26 Boomarley
Member since 2006 • 897 Posts

when Nintendo, Sony and MS build systems to attract non-gamers, well nintendo has done their part of killing the gaming, now its up to sony and MS and they are focusing a lot on things that attract non-gamers...meaning it wont be long till gaming dies

sikanderahmed

So gaming has been dead on the PC for a long time now, eh?

ShadowTech_FTW

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 ShadowTech_FTW
Member since 2008 • 195 Posts

what kind of question is this... never? unless the world ends and we all perish but then again, i'm sure there's some playstations in heaven..hell gets the xboxes MUHAHAHA

coltsfan4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 coltsfan4ever
Member since 2006 • 2628 Posts

Maybe when you die.lol Seriously I dont think gaming will ever die. Consoles may not exist anymore but I think some form of gaming will continue.

789shadow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 789shadow
Member since 2006 • 20195 Posts

Never.

mand_450

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 mand_450

Maybe when you die.lol Seriously I dont think gaming will ever die. Consoles may not exist anymore but I think some form of gaming will continue.

coltsfan4ever

It'll probarbly be like in the cartoons and sci fi movies, were we enter cyberspace and we ourselves, are the main character.

Shad0ki11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Shad0ki11
Member since 2006 • 12576 Posts

Tomorrow. :twisted:

-Pidokenny-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 -Pidokenny-
Member since 2009 • 62 Posts

December 22, 2012....... the day after doomsday, December 21, 2012......LOL

I learned about that date on the history channel. A lot of people predicted it, Mayans, Chinese, even Nostradamus.

It still scares the crap out of me.:cry:

ps3wizard45

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#33 ps3wizard45
Member since 2007 • 12907 Posts

When humans lose interest in entertainment

alex6792

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#34 alex6792
Member since 2008 • 125 Posts

i should like..report you for this question,lol

how dare you! XD

well i think either modern warfare.....i mean nuclear war,would end gaming

or development costs being equivalent to that of oprah winfrey

lol

-PuLse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 -PuLse
Member since 2009 • 538 Posts

When Sony says so.

NinjaMunkey01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 NinjaMunkey01
Member since 2007 • 7485 Posts

Click if you dare...

[spoiler] Monday 13th, September 2037, at exactly 14:35 GMT [/spoiler]

mand_450

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 mand_450

December 22, 2012....... the day after doomsday, December 21, 2012......LOL

I learned about that date on the history channel. A lot of people predicted it, Mayans, Chinese, even Nostradamus.

It still scares the crap out of me.:cry:

-Pidokenny-

That date is also mentioned in Assassins Creed, I recall.

Zaistev_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 Zaistev_basic
Member since 2002 • 2975 Posts
LOL, is it because of the success of the Wii that some elitists gamers in this forum think that gaming is dying? Gaming is dying ever since the elitist gamers took over video gaming and blown the video game economy out of proportion due to the high production cost of creating a HD game and the time it takes to finish developing a game compare than before. Ironically, as much as some elitist gamer blamed the Wii for the video game market condition nowadays, it was actually the elitist gamers themselves have caused the video game market in a downward spiral due to their unreasonable demand for graphics and physics which caused 3rd party developers to go under. Another irony is that 3rd party developers themselves have that elitist attitude on gaming too. As a result, 3rd party developers have isolated the casual or practical, even some hardcore gamers into their kind of gaming.
nervmeister

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 nervmeister
Member since 2005 • 15377 Posts
It'll die when TV and radio die.
mand_450

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 mand_450

LOL, is it because of the success of the Wii that some elitists gamers in this forum think that gaming is dying? Gaming is dying ever since the elitist gamers took over video gaming and blown the video game economy out of proportion due to the high production cost of creating a HD game and the time it takes to finish developing a game compare than before. Ironically, as much as some elitist gamer blamed the Wii for the video game market condition nowadays, it was actually the elitist gamers themselves have caused the video game market in a downward spiral due to their unreasonable demand for graphics and physics which caused 3rd party developers to go under. Another irony is that 3rd party developers themselves have that elitist attitude on gaming too. As a result, 3rd party developers have isolated the casual or practical, even some hardcore gamers into their kind of gaming.Zaistev_basic

I consider myself as an elitist gamer, yet i don't think gaming is dying. I just thought it would be interesting to hear folksanswer to this question.

Besides, the elitist gamers are perphaps the most important part of this industry. They are the ones that know what is a good game and a bad game. They know what there is to know about gameplay, graphics, sound etc. and their constant demandings for more quality titles is what make the developers pull themselves together. I view gaming as an artform, and if there is no onethere to appreciate the art, then there is no reason to makeart. If gaming only included casuals, there would be no need for a complexstory, no need for deep, immersive worlds, no need for innovative gameplay, and no need for beautiful graphics, music and sound. The gaming industry would just be stuck at where it started.

Besides, there is plenty of games for the casuals at the moment.

nintendoboy16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

User Lists: 14

#42 nintendoboy16
Member since 2007 • 41577 Posts
Never, and I don't think Miyamoto's future death is going to stop it, might hurt it, but not stop it.
Darthvader6969

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 Darthvader6969
Member since 2009 • 77 Posts

when a game as terrible as halo 3 comes out

rolo107

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 rolo107
Member since 2007 • 5469 Posts
lt may not be video games as we know it, because they will definitely evolve, but probably never.
Zaistev_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 Zaistev_basic

[QUOTE="Zaistev_basic"]LOL, is it because of the success of the Wii that some elitists gamers in this forum think that gaming is dying? Gaming is dying ever since the elitist gamers took over video gaming and blown the video game economy out of proportion due to the high production cost of creating a HD game and the time it takes to finish developing a game compare than before. Ironically, as much as some elitist gamer blamed the Wii for the video game market condition nowadays, it was actually the elitist gamers themselves have caused the video game market in a downward spiral due to their unreasonable demand for graphics and physics which caused 3rd party developers to go under. Another irony is that 3rd party developers themselves have that elitist attitude on gaming too. As a result, 3rd party developers have isolated the casual or practical, even some hardcore gamers into their kind of gaming.mand_450

I consider myself as an elitist gamer, yet i don't think gaming is dying. I just thought it would be interesting to hear folksanswer to this question.

Besides, the elitist gamers are perphaps the most important part of this industry. They are the ones that know what is a good game and a bad game. They know what there is to know about gameplay, graphics, sound etc. and their constant demandings for more quality titles is what make the developers pull themselves together. I view gaming as an artform, and if there is no onethere to appreciate the art, then there is no reason to makeart. If gaming only included casuals, there would be no need for a complexstory, no need for deep, immersive worlds, no need for innovative gameplay, and no need for beautiful graphics, music and sound. The gaming industry would just be stuck at where it started.

I would have agreed with you at some point that improving art form of gaming is good for the industry. What a lot of elitist gamers such as yourself fail to understand is that ART does not always mean better graphics. Design does not always mean ART.

ART can be gameplay, fun factor, and creativity. ART in this video game gen nowadays, as 3rd party developers and elitist gamers such as yourself put it, is about graphics and physics. Graphics and physics can help improve tha gameplay, but it DOES NOT MAKE Gameplay. Fun factor is always the most important part of gameplay. Is the game fun, or just eye candy?

If you have both, then it's better. However, the balance between gameplay and graphics is dilluted due to high demand of graphics and physics by elitist gamers such as yourself without realizing that the economies of scale of that graphics emphasis in video game is unsustainable as proven by many 3rd party losing money, or worst are bankrupted.

I am a hardcore gamer (not elitist), and I embrace whatever gaming there is regardless of graphics, like Wii, and PC. We as gamers should not isolate other kinds of gamers like casuals or practical gamers. Even a lot of hardcore gamers are isolated as more generic FPS were produced than good RPGs and other grenre produced this gen. You and I have to understand that we hardcore and elitist gamers are not even the largest consumers, combined of the video game target demographics.

Lastly, by admitting that you are an elitist gamer, it basically means that you believe that your kind of gaming belief is superior that others. Thus, that's why I called it elitists. And NO, elitists gamers DO NOT know what is good for gaming and what is a bad game. As proven by Wii, DS, PS2, and PC, quality of games is very subjective.

You nor I have no credibility to say which game is better and which is not. Our opinion of games is just an opinion and so as 3rd party developers who failed to understand the video game market. What we can't argue is that 3rd party developers and the video game industry in general are having a hard time due mismanagement, wrong strategy, and the high development cost that does not match economic and market trend nowadays.

L30KinG

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 L30KinG
Member since 2009 • 1893 Posts

gaming will never die

it will become so awsome and perfected that every game will be epic

mand_450

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 mand_450

[QUOTE="mand_450"]

[QUOTE="Zaistev_basic"]LOL, is it because of the success of the Wii that some elitists gamers in this forum think that gaming is dying? Gaming is dying ever since the elitist gamers took over video gaming and blown the video game economy out of proportion due to the high production cost of creating a HD game and the time it takes to finish developing a game compare than before. Ironically, as much as some elitist gamer blamed the Wii for the video game market condition nowadays, it was actually the elitist gamers themselves have caused the video game market in a downward spiral due to their unreasonable demand for graphics and physics which caused 3rd party developers to go under. Another irony is that 3rd party developers themselves have that elitist attitude on gaming too. As a result, 3rd party developers have isolated the casual or practical, even some hardcore gamers into their kind of gaming.Zaistev_basic

I would have agreed with you at some point that improving art form of gaming is good for the industry. What a lot of elitist gamers such as yourself fail to understand is that ART does not always mean better graphics. Design does not always mean ART.

ART can be gameplay, fun factor, and creativity. ART in this video game gen nowadays, as 3rd party developers and elitist gamers such as yourself put it, is about graphics and physics. Graphics and physics can help improve tha gameplay, but it DOES NOT MAKE Gameplay. Fun factor is always the most important part of gameplay. Is the game fun, or just eye candy?

If you have both, then it's better. However, the balance between gameplay and graphics is dilluted due to high demand of graphics and physics by elitist gamers such as yourself without realizing that the economies of scale of that graphics emphasis in video game is unsustainable as proven by many 3rd party losing money, or worst are bankrupted.

I am a hardcore gamer (not elitist), and I embrace whatever gaming there is regardless of graphics, like Wii, and PC. We as gamers should not isolate other kinds of gamers like casuals or practical gamers. Even a lot of hardcore gamers are isolated as more generic FPS were produced than good RPGs and other grenre produced this gen. You and I have to understand that we hardcore and elitist gamers are not even the largest consumers, combined of the video game target demographics.

Lastly, by admitting that you are an elitist gamer, it basically means that you believe that your kind of gaming belief is superior that others. Thus, that's why I called it elitists. And NO, elitists gamers DO NOT know what is good for gaming and what is a bad game. As proven by Wii, DS, PS2, and PC, quality of games is very subjective.

You nor I have no credibility to say which game is better and which is not. Our opinion of games is just an opinion and so as 3rd party developers who failed to understand the video game market. What we can't argue is that 3rd party developers and the video game industry in general are having a hard time due mismanagement, wrong strategy, and the high development cost that does not match economic and market trend nowadays.

I actually consider elitist gamerand hardcore gamer to be the same thing. And believe me, i'm not a guy who thinks "Graphix beatz evrything!" In fact,i can still play an old game and have fun with it, even if the graphics are poor compared to todays standards. Hell, at the moments, i play Spelunky, a new freewaregame with graphics resembling those from the good old days. Download it if you want to, its freeware and its addicting.

Also, i never said which types of games are better than another. However, some games helps pushing the mediums of the industry and improving it. I don't think that old games likePac Man, Super Mario, Sonic etc. has to be pushed aside for this to happen. That is what is so great about this generation, there is now something for everyone, hell even old people are starting to join in and share the fun. I'm just a guy who would like to see this still quite young industry evolve even further.

Cicatraz_ESP

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 Cicatraz_ESP
Member since 2006 • 1993 Posts

Tomorrow.

0rin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#49 0rin
Member since 2006 • 7179 Posts
Gaming as a whole will never go out of style. It may change drastically, but people will always look for an escape from reality, and gaming is one of the few ways to do that legally without bringing physical harm (at least not yet). playing games has been a part of society and humanity since mankind first discovered competition. That's really all video games are, a continuation of board games, and games before that. It's just a way to compete. Only nowadays, we can either compete against a computer, or our selves, or even other people across long distances. Gaming will never go away, not as long as humanity remains competitive.
Zaistev_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 Zaistev_basic
[QUOTE="mand_450"]

[QUOTE="Zaistev_basic"]

[QUOTE="mand_450"]

I actually consider elitist gamerand hardcore gamer to be the same thing. And believe me, i'm not a guy who thinks "Graphix beatz evrything!" In fact,i can still play an old game and have fun with it, even if the graphics are poor compared to todays standards. Hell, at the moments, i play Spelunky, a new freewaregame with graphics resembling those from the good old days. Download it if you want to, its freeware and its addicting.

Also, i never said which types of games are better than another. However, some games helps pushing the mediums of the industry and improving it. I don't think that old games likePac Man, Super Mario, Sonic etc. has to be pushed aside for this to happen. That is what is so great about this generation, there is now something for everyone, hell even old people are starting to join in and share the fun. I'm just a guy who would like to see this still quite young industry evolve even further.

Nope, hardcore gamer are gamers who plays video game in any shape and form. A gamer who accepts gaming in any kind as long as it values gameplay more than graphics. Nonetheless, I respect your gaming ideology and you're demographics is important as well. i just don't considered your demographic as the most important. Besides, elitist gamer and hardcore gamer are just minorities. I don't mind improving graphics, as long as it is economic sustainable and that 3rd party developers will not go under. Sadly, that is not the case nowadays. There should be a balance between graphics and gameplay. And I agree with you that ART is important, but ART is consist of many aspects, and graphics is just one of the many, not the sole aspect.