What's the difference between Wii Motion plus and Sony Wand??

This topic is locked from further discussion.

AdmiralBison

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 AdmiralBison
Member since 2008 • 3970 Posts

I had a look at the E3 demonstrations and I could't really tell the difference.

They both had shooting with an arrow demonstration. Ninendos demo looked abit more developed but rhe concept is stil the same.

The motion plus seems to have an advantage that it can be plugged into the already existing controller.

It could probably be cheaper too, and have more games of the bat ready to support it.

But technology wise between the two devices.

Is the Sony wand more accurate or something?

Will it go the way of Sony's halfbaked response to the Wii motion like the six-axis and not have the substantial support. i.e games and implementation?

jakarai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#2 jakarai
Member since 2008 • 4289 Posts
Well considering you need the camera to use Sony's wand/controller I doubt it will get many games unless they pack one in with every PS3 console.
funsohng

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 funsohng
Member since 2005 • 29976 Posts
doesnt the wand go with playstation eye?
Vaasman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Vaasman
Member since 2008 • 15569 Posts

The wands look dumber.

And that's saying something.

hakanakumono

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 hakanakumono
Member since 2008 • 27455 Posts

The wiimote uses fancy technology inside of itself to tell what position its in, what movements its making, etc and then it sends that information to the wii (numerically).

The PS3 uses the eyetoy to actually watch the movements of the wand and calculate what they're doing. The PS3 technology seems to be a little more accurate and quicker to respond, but who knows if it will actually work better than the wiimote (it could be far too unforgiving, for example).

ImSwordMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 ImSwordMan
Member since 2004 • 2273 Posts

There are actual games that use wii motion +, as far as i know no games have been announced in using the "sony wand"

djsifer01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#7 djsifer01
Member since 2005 • 7238 Posts
The difference will be Sonys will be more accurate. What ever the competition dose, Sony dose better.
hakanakumono

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 hakanakumono

There are actual games that use wii motion +, as far as i know no games have been announced in using the "sony wand"

ImSwordMan

Obviously developers are not going to start working with hardware that isn't finished.

SolidTy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#9 SolidTy
Member since 2005 • 49991 Posts

Doesn't SOny's Wand have more news in the upcoming weeks, and doesn't it use the PSEYE as well?

I don't follow any of this stuff(PSWand/Natal) as I don't care until great EXCLUSIVE games are lined up for it.

CreepyBacon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 CreepyBacon
Member since 2005 • 3183 Posts

There is no difference except it looks worse. Sony following once again. Good job we have Microsoft to innovate.

Lothenon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Lothenon
Member since 2003 • 1177 Posts

There's a huge, huge misconception about what the MotionPlus actually does and is able to do. See my extensive hands-on with Wii Sports resort:

http://www.giantbomb.com/wii-sports-resort/61-21098/tldr-presents-half-a-wii-sports-resort-review/35-250332/

MotionPlus is a small, fingernail-sized 2-axis gyroscope that doesn't get confused by acceleration like the old gyroscope in the regular Wiimote. That's it. MotionPlus is a tilt-sensor, nothing more.

All it does is know exactly and reliably what rotational motion the Wiimote does and how fast it is while doing so. It can record movement arcs of a rotational motion in any given direction and as such can give a scarily precise and reliable gesture recognition, as well as some nice 1:1ish emulation.

• MotionPlus doesn't know anything about the position of the Wiimote in relation to the ground, the player, or the TV
  • MotionPlus doesn't detect non-rotational motion. Hold the Wiimote parallel to the TV and parallel to the ground then move it left and right. MotionPlus cannot detect that motion.
  • Every game in Wii Sports Resort is tilt-based, including swordplay and archery.

In terms of motion recognition and player awareness, Sony's ball-on-a-stick is worlds above MotionPlus. For example, the bow in sony's archery demo moves with the player, while the bow in WST relies on the player standing still and moving his arm outstretched about his own rotational axis. Sony's "writing on a wall" demo is impossible with M+, as well as the FPS mechanics among others.

However, MotionPlus is still totally awesome and a lot of fun. It works smoothly and will make a lot of great, great gesture-based gameplay possible. But it does not deliver player-space-awareness, like Sony's ball-on-a-stick seems to do. The only advantages of M+ are that it works in every environment as it is not based on vision, and (so far) that it's not extremely fugly and alpha.

skingus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 skingus
Member since 2006 • 2370 Posts

The bottom line is that they both may be great, but the Wii M+ is here with alot of developers already supporting it. I Have nothing against sony's wand, or Microsoft's Natal, but any way you want to look at it they are both a far away off and Nintendo's new tech is here with developer backing. Nintendo will dominate this market for some time, and who knows, by the time Natal or the Sony wand come out Nintendo may be ready to release something out for themselves. This is only logic. It looks like Nintendo wins this one....

StealthMonkey4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 StealthMonkey4
Member since 2009 • 7434 Posts

One is made by Nintendo the other is made by Sony. :P

The PS Wand looks slightly more accurate though.

EazyD91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 EazyD91
Member since 2007 • 781 Posts
One is a knock-off of the real thing and the other one isn't
Pices

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Pices
Member since 2005 • 3910 Posts
The difference will be Sonys will be more accurate. What ever the competition dose, Sony dose better.djsifer01
SURE......
Wasdie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#16 Wasdie  Moderator
Member since 2003 • 53622 Posts

The PS3 Wand has a 3rd dimension to it. You can move up, down, side to side, and now back and forth in a simulated 3d room.

aaronmullan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#17 aaronmullan
Member since 2004 • 33425 Posts

There is no difference except it looks worse. Sony following once again. Good job we have Microsoft to innovate.

CreepyBacon
Just like Natal... OH WAIT.
double_heist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 double_heist
Member since 2005 • 2402 Posts
The Sony Wand has a red lightbulb sticking on one end.
BeyondPain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 BeyondPain
Member since 2008 • 762 Posts
For me -Wii motion+ is a nice add on for a huge market to lap up. -Sony Wand is Song going "me too" and releasing something that will be used for 10 games if we're lucky, most being mini games. (specualtion based on current trends) Im still faceplaming when i see the Sony Wand. I dont think this will end well for Sony..
aero250

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 aero250
Member since 2009 • 3613 Posts
The difference will be Sonys will be more accurate. What ever the competition dose, Sony dose better.djsifer01
Sixaxis failed why will their wand not?
Avatar image for Stevo_the_gamer
Stevo_the_gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 49

#21 Stevo_the_gamer  Moderator
Member since 2004 • 49568 Posts
One is actually attractive looking while the other looks like a POS. :P
Avatar image for deactivated-63f6895020e66
deactivated-63f6895020e66

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 deactivated-63f6895020e66
Member since 2004 • 21177 Posts
One has a glowing ball.
foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#23 foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts

Wii M+ is merely motion input. The Sony wand is both motion input and visual input (i.e. images of the player placed directly in the game by the PS Eye). So the Sony system has potential to be much superior.

haziqonfire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#24 haziqonfire
Member since 2005 • 36390 Posts
From what I can tell M+ is an add-on device where as the Sony's youknowwhat motes are the same thing but in one device - and they use a camera.
svetzenlether

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 svetzenlether
Member since 2003 • 3082 Posts

I had a look at the E3 demonstrations and I could't really tell the difference.

They both had shooting with an arrow demonstration. Ninendos demo looked abit more developed but rhe concept is stil the same.

The motion plus seems to have an advantage that it can be plugged into the already existing controller.

It could probably be cheaper too, and have more games of the bat ready to support it.

But technology wise between the two devices.

Is the Sony wand more accurate or something?

Will it go the way of Sony's halfbaked response to the Wii motion like the six-axis and not have the substantial support. i.e games and implementation?

AdmiralBison

The main difference is one's an original idea, and the other's a rip-off of an original idea.

svetzenlether

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 svetzenlether
Member since 2003 • 3082 Posts

ImSwordMan

This one, too.

yoshi_64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#27 yoshi_64
Member since 2003 • 25261 Posts
Sony's Wand really is just exploiting the Eye Toy isn't it? I mean, doesn't the eye use color tracking and the reasont he ball on a stick has the bright colored ball is because that's how the eye toy tracks? Sure, you can move around in a 3D room cause the camera will detect distance via the size of the ball (bigger size = closer distance, smaller size = farther distance) and then beyond that include up, down, left, and right motions too. Wii Motion plus is another accelerometer to the device, allowing more accurate input. It doesn't save the Nunchuk though, so no way will we have to input devices with WM+ unless they're two Wii motes with WM+. So for now, they could basically be tied and somewhat a little more advantageous in their own I suppose. Yet, thinking about it, Sony's Eye Toy is just getting a device that merely seems to exploit the camera. I mean couldn't we theoretically make a ball on a stick, have the camera track that? Does the actual wand have any accelerometers to know that it's on it's side or not? OR does it relie on the position of the ball on the stick compared to the negative black space on the stick? To be frank, I don't know how it will fully work, but I don't think it's really anything that couldn't be down with a few supplies at home already and Sony should just release a game that shows this. I'll hold the DS 3 with one hand and press a few buttons, but the stick in another and probably have the same experience than a stick with a light ball and some buttons on it.
loco145

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 loco145
Member since 2006 • 12226 Posts
One is a working product and the other is a proof of concept.
bobaban

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 bobaban
Member since 2005 • 10560 Posts

There's a huge, huge misconception about what the MotionPlus actually does and is able to do. See my extensive hands-on with Wii Sports resort:

http://www.giantbomb.com/wii-sports-resort/61-21098/tldr-presents-half-a-wii-sports-resort-review/35-250332/

MotionPlus is a small, fingernail-sized 2-axis gyroscope that doesn't get confused by acceleration like the old gyroscope in the regular Wiimote. That's it. MotionPlus is a tilt-sensor, nothing more.

All it does is know exactly and reliably what rotational motion the Wiimote does and how fast it is while doing so. It can record movement arcs of a rotational motion in any given direction and as such can give a scarily precise and reliable gesture recognition, as well as some nice 1:1ish emulation.

• MotionPlus doesn't know anything about the position of the Wiimote in relation to the ground, the player, or the TV
  • MotionPlus doesn't detect non-rotational motion. Hold the Wiimote parallel to the TV and parallel to the ground then move it left and right. MotionPlus cannot detect that motion.
  • Every game in Wii Sports Resort is tilt-based, including swordplay and archery.

In terms of motion recognition and player awareness, Sony's ball-on-a-stick is worlds above MotionPlus. For example, the bow in sony's archery demo moves with the player, while the bow in WST relies on the player standing still and moving his arm outstretched about his own rotational axis. Sony's "writing on a wall" demo is impossible with M+, as well as the FPS mechanics among others.

However, MotionPlus is still totally awesome and a lot of fun. It works smoothly and will make a lot of great, great gesture-based gameplay possible. But it does not deliver player-space-awareness, like Sony's ball-on-a-stick seems to do. The only advantages of M+ are that it works in every environment as it is not based on vision, and (so far) that it's not extremely fugly and alpha.

Lothenon
voxware00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 voxware00
Member since 2004 • 5018 Posts

Sony's Wand really is just exploiting the Eye Toy isn't it? I mean, doesn't the eye use color tracking and the reasont he ball on a stick has the bright colored ball is because that's how the eye toy tracks? Sure, you can move around in a 3D room cause the camera will detect distance via the size of the ball (bigger size = closer distance, smaller size = farther distance) and then beyond that include up, down, left, and right motions too. Wii Motion plus is another accelerometer to the device, allowing more accurate input. It doesn't save the Nunchuk though, so no way will we have to input devices with WM+ unless they're two Wii motes with WM+. So for now, they could basically be tied and somewhat a little more advantageous in their own I suppose. Yet, thinking about it, Sony's Eye Toy is just getting a device that merely seems to exploit the camera. I mean couldn't we theoretically make a ball on a stick, have the camera track that? Does the actual wand have any accelerometers to know that it's on it's side or not? OR does it relie on the position of the ball on the stick compared to the negative black space on the stick? To be frank, I don't know how it will fully work, but I don't think it's really anything that couldn't be down with a few supplies at home already and Sony should just release a game that shows this. I'll hold the DS 3 with one hand and press a few buttons, but the stick in another and probably have the same experience than a stick with a light ball and some buttons on it. yoshi_64

i believe the wand has accelerometers in it, you can tell when the guy pulls the arrows out from behind his back that it is still detecting motion even though the ball is hidden

bottom line is they're both better for traditional games than natal

DeadEndPanda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 DeadEndPanda
Member since 2008 • 2358 Posts

i lol'd becouse that would be the first time they actully made something better

kate_jones

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 kate_jones
Member since 2007 • 3221 Posts

CreepyBacon

If by innovate you mean buy out smaller companys who have developed a good product then yes.

Androvinus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#33 Androvinus
Member since 2008 • 5796 Posts
the wii motion plus is a wiimote with six axis
hakanakumono

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 hakanakumono

[QUOTE="djsifer01"]The difference will be Sonys will be more accurate. What ever the competition dose, Sony dose better.DeadEndPanda

i lol'd becouse that would be the first time they actully made something better

Just like how they did the controller better and the rumble better than nintendo in the PS1 era? :roll:

Jamisonia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 Jamisonia
Member since 2009 • 896 Posts

One is built for a system with motion in mind from the ground up, one is an add on that probably won't have much support it.

Kashiwaba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 Kashiwaba
Member since 2005 • 8059 Posts

[QUOTE="djsifer01"]The difference will be Sonys will be more accurate. What ever the competition dose, Sony dose better.aero250
Sixaxis failed why will their wand not?

I dont know why people say Sixaxis failed its just like an extra buttons in the controller sixaxis is nearly the same as adding extra button to the controller some games can use it if they want and other dont use it.

intro94

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 intro94
Member since 2006 • 2623 Posts

The bottom line is that they both may be great, but the Wii M+ is here with alot of developers already supporting it. I Have nothing against sony's wand, or Microsoft's Natal, but any way you want to look at it they are both a far away off and Nintendo's new tech is here with developer backing. Nintendo will dominate this market for some time, and who knows, by the time Natal or the Sony wand come out Nintendo may be ready to release something out for themselves. This is only logic. It looks like Nintendo wins this one....

skingus
this is kinda true. Wi motion + is already here, with games out and more coming ,while neither natal or wand have support or proven acceptance by their markets. They however, did gave nintendo the signal to develop even newer and different technologies ahead to focus on.At least, according to Nintendos president Iwata, they will move ahead with newer technology.