What will be the most notable flop of 2008?

• 62 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

the-very-best

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 0

#1 the-very-best
Member since 2006 • 14486 Posts

We have some big games coming next year and every year we have at least one flop that causes a massive stir in SW. Just to clarify right now, when I say "most notable flop" I'm talking the biggest flop in terms of reaction from SW.

For example, if SSBB were to get a 7.5 here that would only be a flop by 0.5 but that would easily be the most notable flop of 2008 unless something flops even worse. For another example, if Killzone would get a score of 7.5 it would also only flop by 0.5 but the reaction in here would be huge! Same with something like MGSIV or GTAIV getting AA.

I'm pretty sure of what will be the most popular response, but anyway, what will be the most notable flop of 2008 according to your crystal ball? What do you guys think?

naval

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#2 naval
Member since 2003 • 11108 Posts
my crystal ball says Killzone 2. cows have put too much faith in that game without much reason
too_much_eslim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3 too_much_eslim
Member since 2006 • 10727 Posts
my crystal ball says Killzone 2. cows have put too much faith in that game without much reasonnaval
Agreed even though I think it might turn out to be a AA game this time around.
Blue-Sphere

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Blue-Sphere
Member since 2006 • 1972 Posts
Probably Killzone 2.
Avatar image for SmashBrosLegend
SmashBrosLegend

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 SmashBrosLegend
Member since 2006 • 11344 Posts
Killzone 2 is the first game that comes to mind, after the Killzone 1 debacle.
Avatar image for deactivated-5f4694ac412a8
deactivated-5f4694ac412a8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 36

#6 deactivated-5f4694ac412a8
Member since 2005 • 8599 Posts
Killzone 2 will flop. Quote me on it. (I actually just said that so someone would put me in their signature, but you can do it, anyway.)
aliasfreak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 aliasfreak
Member since 2004 • 2878 Posts

In my opinion, it wouldn't be a multiplatform game because then fanboys can't rub it in other's faces. Therefore, I would have to drop GTAIV from the list.

I'm not sure of all the games coming out in 2008, but for the Wii I'd say either Mario Kart or Smash Bros. For the PS3, definitely MGSIV. For the 360, I don't know, Fable 2?

Sorry I couldn't pin it down more than that, but that is a tough question. A good question, but a tough one.

dracula_16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

#8 dracula_16
Member since 2005 • 16041 Posts
Killzone 2 of course. People have no reason to hype it other then their willingness to hype every exlusive they get.
yoshi_64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#9 yoshi_64
Member since 2003 • 25261 Posts

Five letters.

Gee, Tee, Ai, Eye, Vee. :D

locopatho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 locopatho
Member since 2003 • 24259 Posts
Killzone 2 and Smash Brothers are my picks.
Koalakommander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Koalakommander
Member since 2006 • 5462 Posts

Killzone 2 and Smash Brothers are my picks.locopatho

You know out of all the games I think KZ2 has the best chance of delivering. SSBB will be fine.

I hope everything does well, and no big titles look like flops just yet. Lost Odyssey does if you want to count it..

locopatho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 locopatho
Member since 2003 • 24259 Posts

[QUOTE="locopatho"]Killzone 2 and Smash Brothers are my picks.Koalakommander

You know out of all the games I think KZ2 has the best chance of delivering. SSBB will be fine.

I hope everything does well, and no big titles look like flops just yet. Lost Odyssey does if you want to count it..

I hope they both do well. But I think might at least be "miniflops" ie AA. One group going "It met it's hype!", others going "LOL AA!". Fun times... I guess... :P

jeaglegs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 jeaglegs
Member since 2004 • 1017 Posts
The PS3.
jalexbrown

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#14 jalexbrown
Member since 2006 • 11432 Posts

I don't really expect any big flops in 2008, honestly. I think all the key titles will be good. The only thing that I think may happen is Final Fantasy XIII may end up with an 8.5 instead of a 9 or a 9.5. Also, Super Smash Brothers Brawl may end up being an 8 or an 8.5, but given the reviews of the previous two Super Smash Brothers games, that wouldn't be totally bad or surprising. Metal Gear Solid 4 will be AAA, no doubt. Mario Kart Wii is pretty likely to be AAA. Grand Theft Auto 4 will be AAA. I think every major hype of '08 will be AA or AAA. No major disappointments this year.

Blue-Sphere

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Blue-Sphere
Member since 2006 • 1972 Posts
Mario Kart Wii is pretty likely to be AAA. jalexbrown
AAA on GS? :? Mario Kart 64 didn't even get AA.
beast667

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 beast667
Member since 2005 • 3397 Posts
either killzone 2 or something for the wii :(
Nike_Air

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Nike_Air
Member since 2006 • 19733 Posts

If Killzone 2 gets a 7.5 or lessit would probably have the biggest impact , then I wouldput MGS4scoring under AAA a close second.I chose these because the ps3 seems like it is the most bashed console by the other fanboy groups.

TkLive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 TkLive
Member since 2007 • 730 Posts
I'm guessing Super Smash Bros. Brawl will flop first. Gamespot is notorious for under-scoring the franchise.
TheJuiceyBar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 TheJuiceyBar
Member since 2007 • 1220 Posts
That medicore Emozone 2 game.
beast667

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 beast667

If Killzone 2 gets a 7.5 or lessit would probably have the biggest impact , then I wouldput MGS4scoring under AAA a close second.I chose these because the ps3 seems like it is the most bashed console by the other fanboy groups.

Nike_Air
i dont think mgs4 will have a huge impact unless it gets below 7, and if that happens, i think a horde of mgs fanboys will attack the reviewer. other than mgs fans and cows looking for something to put faith in, im not sure many people are hyped for mgs4
Shinobishyguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#21 Shinobishyguy
Member since 2006 • 22928 Posts

[QUOTE="jalexbrown"] Mario Kart Wii is pretty likely to be AAA. Blue-Sphere
AAA on GS? :? Mario Kart 64 didn't even get AA.

mario kart ds pulled off AAA.

But still...I'd hype it AA.

onesimos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 onesimos
Member since 2005 • 320 Posts

We have some big games coming next year and every year we have at least one flop that causes a massive stir in SW. Just to clarify right now, when I say "most notable flop" I'm talking the biggest flop in terms of reaction from SW.

For example, if SSBB were to get a 7.5 here that would only be a flop by 0.5 but that would easily be the most notable flop of 2008 unless something flops even worse. For another example, if Killzone would get a score of 7.5 it would also only flop by 0.5 but the reaction in here would be huge! Same with something like MGSIV or GTAIV getting AA.

the-very-best

You should use the term "disappointment," not "flop." Flop means that something is sold not according to expectations. For example, the game "Psychonaunts" was a flop because it sold poorly even though it received solid good reviews.

If "Super Smash Bros. Brawl" received a 7.5 score, it would be a disappointment, not a flop. It will be a flop if it sold poorly.

As for games that will either disappoint or flop commercially in 2008, I do not have the ability to predict the future.

Blue_Panda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Blue_Panda
Member since 2006 • 1293 Posts

i dont have a crystal ball- but when i flushed my toilet i heard something like this ----FLLLLLLLLLLLSSHHHHHHHHHMGS4SHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH.

Nike_Air

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Nike_Air
[QUOTE="Nike_Air"]

beast667

i dont think mgs4 will have a huge impact unless it gets below 7, and if that happens, i think a horde of mgs fanboys will attack the reviewer. other than mgs fans and cows looking for something to put faith in, im not sure many people are hyped for mgs4

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: Funny.

the-very-best

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 the-very-best

Nike_Air

What do you mean "seems like"...it is the most bashed console here which is odd as I thought the top dog at the time was the most bashed. It seems people expect the PS3 to comeback even though they won't say it, there's no other reason for some of the arguments shown in SW.

I can easily see MGSIV scoring AA here, so that's my pick for the most notable flop of 2008.

the-very-best

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 the-very-best

You should use the term "disappointment," not "flop." Flop means that something is sold not according to expectations. For example, the game "Psychonaunts" was a flop because it sold poorly even though it received solid good reviews.

If "Super Smash Bros. Brawl" received a 7.5 score, it would be a disappointment, not a flop. It will be a flop if it sold poorly.

As for games that will either disappoint or flop commercially in 2008, I do not have the ability to predict the future.

onesimos

That's not what a flop here in SW is. In any case, let's not get into technicalities. I explained what the term meant in the OP.

beast667

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 beast667
[QUOTE="beast667"][QUOTE="Nike_Air"]

Nike_Air

i said other than mgs fans and cows. how many people that never liked or heard of metal gear are hyped on it?

exactly

caseypayne69

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

#28 caseypayne69
Member since 2002 • 5395 Posts
Killzone 2 and MGS 4. Both better be AAA at Gamerankings and hopefully here. I mean MGS 4 is circle jerked over and Killzone 2 is Sony's flagship game.
BreakingPoint8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 BreakingPoint8
Member since 2007 • 3347 Posts
Grand Theft Auto IV flopping would cause a riot of cows and lemmings. It's by far the biggest game being released next year.
jalexbrown

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 jalexbrown
I can't imagine Metal Gear Solid 4 being under a 9. Metal Gear Solid fans would be outraged, as would much of the general gaming public. Personally, I think from what I've seen so far, Metal Gear Solid 4 will deserve at least a 9.
the-very-best

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 the-very-best

Grand Theft Auto IV flopping would cause a riot of cows and lemmings. It's by far the biggest game being released next year.BreakingPoint8

I agree. I know it's multiplat but I think lems/cows would join forces for that one and cause a massive riot.

But I think it will be AAA here in any case.

the-very-best

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 the-very-best

I can't imagine Metal Gear Solid 4 being under a 9. Metal Gear Solid fans would be outraged, as would muchof the general gaming public. Personally, I think from what I've seen so far, Metal Gear Solid 4 will deserve at least a 9.jalexbrown

Why can't you imagine it?

MGS and MGS3 got AA here. I would actually be a little surprised with an AAA score for MGSIV.

dracula_16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

#33 dracula_16
Member since 2005 • 16041 Posts
By the way...sorry to go off topic but I think you make good threads, the-very-best.
the-very-best

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 the-very-best

By the way...sorry to go off topic but I think you make good threads, the-very-best.dracula_16

I agree and thanks. :)

jalexbrown

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 jalexbrown

[QUOTE="jalexbrown"]I can't imagine Metal Gear Solid 4 being under a 9. Metal Gear Solid fans would be outraged, as would muchof the general gaming public. Personally, I think from what I've seen so far, Metal Gear Solid 4 will deserve at least a 9.the-very-best

MGS and MGS3 got AA here. I would actually be a little surprised with an AAA score for MGSIV.

True, but I think with the standards as high as they are, Metal Gear Solid 4 will be AAA. Even if Metal Gear Solid 4 does get an AA rating, that's still very good. I don't know if a majority of gamers would be disappointed with Metal Gear Solid 4 being an AA title. If Metal Gear Solid 4 gets less than an 8.5, though, I think people will be disappointed. I think most expect it to get an 8.5 or better.

jg4xchamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#36 jg4xchamp
Member since 2006 • 64040 Posts
Killzone 2. Lightning will strike twice.
rolo107

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#37 rolo107
Member since 2007 • 5469 Posts
Killzone 2. That's my bet. Possibly GTAIV.
jg4xchamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 jg4xchamp
[QUOTE="the-very-best"]

[QUOTE="jalexbrown"]I can't imagine Metal Gear Solid 4 being under a 9. Metal Gear Solid fans would be outraged, as would muchof the general gaming public. Personally, I think from what I've seen so far, Metal Gear Solid 4 will deserve at least a 9.jalexbrown

True, but I think with the standards as high as they are, Metal Gear Solid 4 will be AAA. Even if Metal Gear Solid 4 does get an AA rating, that's still very good. I don't know if a majority of gamers would be disappointed with Metal Gear Solid 4 being an AA title. If Metal Gear Solid 4 gets less than an 8.5, though, I think people will be disappointed. I think most expect it to get an 8.5 or better.

I wasnt mad with MGS 3s AA score it was IMO the worst of the 3 but still a good game(i would have given it a 9 but thats it).

But MGS 1 deserved better.

Personally i think Gamespot really doesnt like MGS all that much, wasnt one of there hyped games when they made that most anticipated list early this year.
the-very-best

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 the-very-best

jalexbrown

Very much agreed.

Killzone 2. Lightning will strike twice.jg4xchamp

I must admit I would love to see the reaction in SW if it flops. But I want the game to be great obviously so I hope it doesn't. Still...would be hilarious to see what lemmings do.

jg4xchamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 jg4xchamp
Oh how about Banjo Kazooie 3. I know its not a Halo or GTA. but this is the premier Platformer and Premier Non Mature game next year.

I would be ticked if Rare made a flop.......again.
a_chalz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 a_chalz
Member since 2007 • 441 Posts
Probably Killzone 2. Blue-Sphere
Nike_Air

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 Nike_Air
[QUOTE="Nike_Air"][QUOTE="beast667"][QUOTE="Nike_Air"]

beast667

i said other than mgs fans and cows. how many people that never liked or heard of metal gear are hyped on it?

exactly

You could say that for any game so it is a moot point ........... but you would also be surprised if you ever checked out the PS3 boards. So many people have been blown away by what they have seen so far but never played any of the games in the series. They are always asking if they should just pick this one up or play the previous games. Lemmings are on their hands andknees praying everyday that MGS4 comes to their system.

jg4xchamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 jg4xchamp

[QUOTE="jalexbrown"]
the-very-best

Very much agreed.

Killzone 2. Lightning will strike twice.jg4xchamp

I must admit I would love to see the reaction in SW if it flops. But I want the game to be great obviously so I hope it doesn't. Still...would be hilarious to see what lemmings do.

WIth all the Halo 3 bashing threads, with all the pre review threads about how halo sucks, with all the complaints about the score, with all the hate........ IT might get ugly.

INfact Casey Wegner and Cake or Death are gonna be busy suspending Crazed Lemmings for being to brutal on the cows for Killzone 2 flopping.
HeroOfCows

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 HeroOfCows
Member since 2007 • 506 Posts

That medicore Emozone 2 game.TheJuiceyBar

Emozone? That's certainly a new one. And this is twice in one day I've quoted you, turtle man. You should feel proud.

Personally the most notable flop would be SSBB, MGS4 or maybe Alan Wake. So many people expect Killzone 2 to flop that I doubt it would surprise many people.

jalexbrown

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 jalexbrown
I forgot to mention that I think Halo Wars may be a disappointment. I believe most expect it to be AAA, but I predict it to be an AA title at best.
jg4xchamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 jg4xchamp
[QUOTE="beast667"][QUOTE="Nike_Air"][QUOTE="beast667"][QUOTE="Nike_Air"]

Nike_Air

exactly

You could say that for any game so it is a moot point ........... but you would also be surprised if you ever checked out the PS3 boards. So many people have been blown away by what they have seen so far but never played any of the games in the series. They are always asking if they should just pick this one up or play the previous games. Lemmings are on their hands andknees praying everyday that MGS4 comes to their system.

I am, iTs one of my favorite franchises. Its because of MGS 4 im buying a PS3 next year.
the-very-best

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 the-very-best

Oh how about Banjo Kazooie 3. I know its not a Halo or GTA. but this is the premier Platformer and Premier Non Mature game next year.

I would be ticked if Rare made a flop.......again.jg4xchamp

lol, non-mature? Don't agree with that.

But yeah, I am expecitng big things for Banjo. It's one of the main reasons I want a 360. But I wouldn't be that shocked if it got AA. Rare hasn't really been the same lately imo.

jg4xchamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 jg4xchamp
[QUOTE="Blue-Sphere"]Probably Killzone 2. a_chalz

what?
BreakingPoint8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 BreakingPoint8
Member since 2007 • 3347 Posts

I would be ticked if Rare made a flop.......again.jg4xchamp
Rare has been pretty good the past couple years, four AA titles isn't bad at all(Conker: Live and Reloaded, Perfect Dark Zero, Kameo and Viva Pinata. Viva Pinata is like crack if you ever get into it.

They just need time to perfect their games, so let's hope Microsoft doesn't rush them with Banjo.

jg4xchamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 jg4xchamp

[QUOTE="jg4xchamp"]Oh how about Banjo Kazooie 3. I know its not a Halo or GTA. but this is the premier Platformer and Premier Non Mature game next year.

I would be ticked if Rare made a flop.......again.the-very-best

lol, non-mature? Don't agree with that.

But yeah, I am expecitng big things for Banjo. It's one of the main reasons I want a 360. But I wouldn't be that shocked if it got AA. Rare hasn't really been the same lately imo.

ok we all know about the inuandos(Sp?) but come on Banjo is like Mario. Sure older gamers will play it cause its fun, but kids will be the most attracted by this game.

And yes but Banjo 3 being hyped AAA(if it is) and not getting it would be a big flop for SW. It would be Ratchet outcry but worse because well the first 2 banjo games at there time were far better than any of the previous ratchet games for there time.