What was the best game ENGINE this Gen. ??

• 85 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for Ravenlore_basic
Ravenlore_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

User Lists: 0

#1 Ravenlore_basic
Member since 2003 • 4319 Posts

Cryengine 3 but instead I put other.

There are more games and game engines but I could not list them all, but you could give a shout out.

I ask this as more and more games try to SEEM REAL but the more real the game looks the more you notice how unbealivable not real it is.  Emotional attachments, GREAT writing more than Graphics make the CHARTERS seem real than their apperacne.  

So while you are thinking of best game and its engine what was it that made it great... and after you come uip with an engine view this video... at least you will get a good laugh even if you do not agree. 

Though I do to a point. 

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/view/jimquisition/5770-The-Best-Looking-Game-of-This-Generation

Edit

All aspects of a game engine are important: AI, Physics, Graphics (in its many aspects), Partical effects, how much action is happening at one time, How big the game is...  

There is NOT one game engine that can do all aspects of a game as well as a game engine can push a single aspect, so it has to be balanced in some way while pushing some aspects over others. (you can not have a game push Graphics to a high degree (fps, rez, graphic fidility) while at the same time using huge physics (destructive envirnments, charter animation (running, facial/body expression, hit detection) Lighting, and AI (charter reaction, interaction,) .... 

Games like Skyrim has a different kind of interaction  than a game like call of duty in the type of people and interactions they have.  Not say ing that Skyrim uses a better engine but looking at verious aspects of the games I think Skyrim engine Creation Engine, does a better job overall. 

wow found this though its old but it talks about different aspects of game engines. http://www.ign.com/articles/2009/07/15/the-10-best-game-engines-of-this-generation

and http://www.maximumpc.com/article/features/gamers_start_your_engines_6_top_gaming_engines_face?page=0,3

The_Last_Ride

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 122

User Lists: 2

#2 The_Last_Ride
Member since 2004 • 76371 Posts
CryEngine or Frostbite for my part
KillaCattle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3 KillaCattle
Member since 2013 • 64 Posts

CryEngine 3

StrongDeadlift

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 StrongDeadlift
Member since 2010 • 6073 Posts

Unreal Engine 3 dominated this gen.  Most AAA-AA games this gen ran on it.  

lundy86_4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#5 lundy86_4
Member since 2003 • 61539 Posts

CryEngine or Frostbite. Frostbite made for some hella fun Battlefield maps... Much preferred Bad Company.

BPoole96

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 BPoole96
Member since 2008 • 22818 Posts

Unreal and CryEngine look the best to me.

And even though Source isn't technically the most advanced, I love how crisp games look that run on it and how low of requirements are needed to make games still look great.

faizan_faizan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 faizan_faizan
Member since 2009 • 7869 Posts
RAGE or Cryengine 3.
FinalFighters

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 FinalFighters
Member since 2013 • 3410 Posts
Unreal engine
LegatoSkyheart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 1

#9 LegatoSkyheart
Member since 2009 • 29733 Posts

StrongDeadlift

this.

heeweesRus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 heeweesRus
Member since 2012 • 5492 Posts

RAGE, and Source

game_masta14

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#11 game_masta14
Member since 2005 • 3251 Posts
IMO whatever graphical engine Insomniac used for the Ratchet and Clank Future titles. I got tired of Unreal after seeing it for the umpteenth time in a row in some game.
hoplayletsplay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 hoplayletsplay
Member since 2005 • 983 Posts
MT framework worked well on all platform.
Ravenlore_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Ravenlore_basic

Keep in mind that Graphic fidility is not the same as graphic style. 

so just because one game looks more "real" than another does not mean that it is better. 

From Viva pinta, Journey,to unfinished swan, to braid.  These games also have beauty, and are just as apealing.  

Avatar image for deactivated-59b71619573a1
deactivated-59b71619573a1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 deactivated-59b71619573a1
Member since 2007 • 38222 Posts

Cryengine is the best engine out of all of those without question. It has far mroe capabilities than the others.

BUT Unreal engine is the king because so many games use it

PAL360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

#15 PAL360
Member since 2007 • 30574 Posts

I really like Rage engine + euphoria, from GTA and RDR.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 deactivated-59b71619573a1

so just because one game looks more "real" than another does not mean that it is better. 

From Viva pinta, Journey,to unfinished swan, to braid.  These games also have beauty, and are just as apealing.  

Ravenlore_basic

But you're asking about "ENGINE" not games. And in engines all that matters is the power and flexibility behind it. Also if it's open to devs to use like Unreal or Cryengine. Frostbite is only for EA devs

StrongDeadlift

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 StrongDeadlift
Member since 2010 • 6073 Posts

[QUOTE="Ravenlore_basic"]

seanmcloughlin

But you're asking about "ENGINE" not games. And in engines all that matters is the power and flexibility behind it. Also if it's open to devs to use like Unreal or Cryengine. Frostbite is only for EA devs

This. Power, flexibility, ease of use for developers, as well as ease of actually licensing the engine. Unreal 3 was that engine this gen, and it looks like Unreal Engine 4 will be the "go-to" engine next gen. Its the most impressive "next gen" engine thats been shown thus far, and according to Epic, one artist can make a functional game in 6 months without actually "programming" anything. Even some Sony games were using it (Knack).
RyanShazam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 RyanShazam
Member since 2006 • 6498 Posts
The Nintendo engine.
famicommander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 famicommander
Member since 2008 • 8524 Posts
I'll take the Hedgehog Engine. It may not be the most photorealistic but Unleashed and Generations look amazing, especially considering the speed and the scale of the levels.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 deactivated-59b71619573a1

[QUOTE="seanmcloughlin"]

StrongDeadlift

This. Power, flexibility, ease of use for developers, as well as ease of actually licensing the engine. Unreal 3 was that engine this gen, and it looks like Unreal Engine 4 will be the "go-to" engine next gen. Its the most impressive "next gen" engine thats been shown thus far, and according to Epic, one artist can make a functional game in 6 months without actually "programming" anything. Even some Sony games were using it (Knack).

It's weird cos CE3 is almost the exact same. Flexible, powerful and open for Devs to use, yet Unreal still walks all over it in terms of usage. I too think UE4 will be dominant next gen.

AmazonTreeBoa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 AmazonTreeBoa
Member since 2011 • 16745 Posts
Cryengine. And I don't mean the sh!tty watered down consolized Cryengine 2. I mean the first Cryengine.
Mrmedia01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Mrmedia01
Member since 2007 • 1917 Posts

Havok is the best. Easy to devlop on and it can preduce amazing graphics. Just look at Uncharted 3.

bobbetybob

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#23 bobbetybob
Member since 2005 • 19370 Posts
Unreal 3. Cryengine 3 and Frostbite might have produced the best looking games from their own creators, but Unreal has consistently been used in creating not only some of the best looking, but also the best playing games this gen.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 deactivated-59b71619573a1

Cryengine. And I don't mean the sh!tty watered down consolized Cryengine 2. I mean the first Cryengine.AmazonTreeBoa

Cryengine 2 is what made Crysis 1, Cryengine 3 is what made Crysis 2 and Crysis 3. Learn yo' sh!t

AcidSoldner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 AcidSoldner
Member since 2007 • 7051 Posts

Criterion's version of their "Chameleon" engine used in NFS: Hot Pursuit is probably my favorite from both a technical and aesthetic perspective. Not only did it look absolutely gorgeous but it ran at a locked 30 frames per second (and by locked I mean f*cking locked, it never once drops below 30) and not a single bit of screen tear. While it's not as impressive as something like the CryEngine running on a good PC, but when you consider the hardware (console versions) it's running on and the level of both performance and graphical fidelity it was able to achieve, it is truly impressive.

Criterion also used a modified version of this engine in the recent Most Wanted, but due to the open world nature of the game, it's not as impressive and took a hit in some areas.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 deactivated-59b71619573a1

Havok is the best. Easy to devlop on and it can preduce amazing graphics. Just look at Uncharted 3.

Mrmedia01

Havok isn't a graphics engine, it's a Physics engine. It doesn't create visuals, it only creates the movement and interaction of objects in environments. Uncharted 3 is made by Naught Dog's in house engine "Naughty Dog Engine 3.1" 

People around here sure are dense

BPoole96

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 BPoole96
Member since 2008 • 22818 Posts

Mrmedia01

Havok is a physics engine

AcidSoldner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 AcidSoldner

Mrmedia01
Havok is a middleware physics engine, not a "graphics" engine.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 deactivated-59b71619573a1

Criterion's version of their "Chameleon" engine used in NFS: Hot Pursuit is probably my favorite from both a technical and aesthetic perspective. Not only did it look absolutely gorgeous but it ran at a locked 30 frames per second (and by locked I mean f*cking locked, it never once drops below 30) and not a single bit of screen tear. While it's not as impressive as something like the CryEngine running on a good PC, but when you consider the hardware (console versions) it's running on and the level of both performance and graphical fidelity it was able to achieve, it is truly impressive.

Criterion also used a modified version of this engine in the recent Most Wanted, but due to the open world nature of the game, it's not as impressive and took a hit in some areas.

AcidSoldner

Of course it has no screen tearing locked at 30 fps, that's WHY it's locked at that. And a racing game running at anything other than 60 fps is laughable and isn't impressive at all. 

Ravenlore_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Ravenlore_basic

seanmcloughlin

TRUE but it is also how the engine is used. To look at game and say how Real it looks does not mean that the engine is more powerful.  Cell shading used a lot of power yet people though that the engine was weak because those games did not look real but more cartoony

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 deactivated-59b71619573a1

[QUOTE="seanmcloughlin"]

Ravenlore_basic

TRUE but it is also how the engine is used. To look at game and say how Real it looks does not mean that the engine is more powerful.  Cell shading used a lot of power yet people though that the engine was weak because those games did not look real but more cartoony

Don't emphasise "ENGINE" in caps in the title if you actually want to talk about the actual games aesthetics. 

AcidSoldner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 AcidSoldner

[QUOTE="AcidSoldner"]

seanmcloughlin

Of course it has no screen tearing locked at 30 fps, that's WHY it's locked at that. -No sh!t!? That's why it impressive as it is, looking that good on consoles and still keeping that level of performance.

And a racing game running at anything other than 60 fps is laughable and isn't impressive at all. -Again, it's considering the level of graphical fidelity on 7 year old hardware and keeping up that kind of performance. God you're dense. And 30FPS for a racer is just fine; back when I used to play GTR2, there where a bunch of people in our racing league that ran the game at 30-40FPS and absolutely dominated. 60FPS is obviously perferred, but 30FPS for a racer isn't bad by any stretch of the imagination.

deangallop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#33 deangallop
Member since 2004 • 3811 Posts

Unreal engine in the right hands is the best imo.

crimsonman1245

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 crimsonman1245
Member since 2011 • 4253 Posts

It seems like most games were made with UE3 this gen, so i guess i would pick that one.

Avatar image for Nintendo_Ownes7
Nintendo_Ownes7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 Nintendo_Ownes7
Member since 2005 • 30973 Posts

I voted for Source Engine (I like how scalable it is and how good it looks on my terrible PC)

I hate the way most Unreal Engine 3 games look so I'm not voting for that.

SaltyMeatballs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 SaltyMeatballs
Member since 2009 • 25165 Posts
MT Framework, Assassins Creed Engine, RAGE.
faizan_faizan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 faizan_faizan
Member since 2009 • 7869 Posts
  Nothing beats Euphoria in animation.
Avatar image for HaloinventedFPS
HaloinventedFPS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 HaloinventedFPS
Member since 2010 • 4738 Posts

Cryeninge 2 by a mile, i don't know how this is even a debate

bobbetybob

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 bobbetybob
Member since 2005 • 19370 Posts

[QUOTE="AmazonTreeBoa"]Cryengine. And I don't mean the sh!tty watered down consolized Cryengine 2. I mean the first Cryengine.seanmcloughlin

Cryengine 2 is what made Crysis 1, Cryengine 3 is what made Crysis 2 and Crysis 3. Learn yo' sh!t

Far Cry is grafficks king and u no it

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 deactivated-59b71619573a1

[QUOTE="seanmcloughlin"]

[QUOTE="AmazonTreeBoa"]Cryengine. And I don't mean the sh!tty watered down consolized Cryengine 2. I mean the first Cryengine.bobbetybob

Far Cry is grafficks king and u no it

Far Cry 1? eh no :?

FC2 and FC3 are on the Dunia engine not CE

Heil68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#41 Heil68
Member since 2004 • 60723 Posts
Unreal engine or Rage
HaloPimp978

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#42 HaloPimp978
Member since 2005 • 7329 Posts

StrongDeadlift

This

lightleggy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 65

#43 lightleggy
Member since 2008 • 16090 Posts
Cryengine 3, its amazing what it can do when tweaked. Unreal 3 was the most popular by far, but I didnt liked it tbh.
zeeshanhaider

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 zeeshanhaider
Member since 2004 • 5524 Posts

CryEngine 3 is the only right answer. Even a novice like me could make maps on it with little effort.

sukraj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#45 sukraj
Member since 2008 • 27859 Posts

Dunia Engine

Inconsistancy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 Inconsistancy
Member since 2004 • 8094 Posts

UE3 had the most games, and Mirror's Edge (which is still the prettiest game this gen). 

CE3 best tech, Frostbite2 in second place, RAGE runs like garbage, idTech5 should have never been made for this gen, Source is pretty dated and only can look pretty due to art style. 

[QUOTE="Mrmedia01"]

TheGuardian03

LOL Havok is a physics engine.

Actually Havok does come with a graphics engine (it's ancient and looks terrible). You(probably) saw it at the ps4 conference with the GPU accelerated 1m+ particle physics demo. Obvoiusly its stripped to just the physics for anything else.

BlbecekBobecek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#49 BlbecekBobecek
Member since 2006 • 2949 Posts

I dont like Unreal Engine, the games built around it just dont feel right to me. It ruined Bioshock for me actually. Cant really describe why.

I voted for Source because the games based it almost always feel right - Half Life 2, Team Fortress 2, Natural Selection 2, Dota 2 - all just feel good to play.

Avatar image for deactivated-57d8401f17c55
deactivated-57d8401f17c55

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#50 deactivated-57d8401f17c55
Member since 2012 • 7221 Posts

The best engine is always a proprietary one, not middleware.  Out of middleware though, it would be UE3 obviously.  Tons of games used it and it's the engine used for the most graphically advanced console game Gears 3.

As for proprietary, whatever Nintendo uses.  Also, Red engine deserves a mention.