What shocked you the most this gen?

• 114 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for TomatoDragonPSN
TomatoDragonPSN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 TomatoDragonPSN
Member since 2012 • 535 Posts

I think there are plenty that would disagree with me, but what shocked me the most this gen, was the replayability I found in many games. I think I've played through more times, on more titles, than any other gen since my Atari 2600.

RR360DD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#2 RR360DD
Member since 2011 • 14099 Posts

I think there are plenty that would disagree with me, but what shocked me the most this gen, was the replayability I found in many games. I think I've played through more times, on more titles, than any other gen since my Atari 2600.

TomatoDragonPSN
I agree, partly due to achievements / trophies.
Cheleman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 Cheleman
Member since 2012 • 8198 Posts

MS 180 turn:lol:

platniumgamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 platniumgamer
Member since 2011 • 3960 Posts

kinect shocked me the most.

it's great and works well... can't wait for kinect 2.0.

sandbox3d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 sandbox3d
Member since 2010 • 5166 Posts

Game wise, MGS4 and FFXIII. Two of my favorite series taking a nose dive... didnt expect NG to go the route it did either.

I was also surprised about Sony losing so much market share and Nintendo raking in the sales.

I guess I was also shocked about how willing gamers are to be nickeled and dimed.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d78760d7d740
deactivated-5d78760d7d740

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#6 deactivated-5d78760d7d740
Member since 2009 • 16386 Posts

platniumgamer

Oprah_shocked.gif

navyguy21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#7 navyguy21
Member since 2003 • 17453 Posts
Final Fantasy 13 on Xbox 360. Didnt see that coming
Avatar image for deactivated-57ad0e5285d73
deactivated-57ad0e5285d73

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 deactivated-57ad0e5285d73
Member since 2009 • 21398 Posts
RROD. I thought it was more of a myth, even with rampant reports, until one day I turn the 360 on and see it for myself. Other than that, not so much. Nintendos quality--Mario Galaxy--wasn't very surprising because all their stuff is ace. But to mention a few I'd say MGS4, Uncharted 2 and 3, and perhaps Geometry Wars. For the negative shock factor I'd say Bioshock and GTA4. Bioshock was one of the reasons I originally wanted a 360 outside of Halo3. The feels contrived, is very linear, and has the most clunky shooting for an fps I've played in quite some time, especially given its budget. ...Simply couldn't believe GTA4 was the same sht over and over again.
Ballroompirate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Ballroompirate
Member since 2005 • 26695 Posts

The amount of under looked games.

Zeviander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#10 Zeviander
Member since 2011 • 9503 Posts
I went from a hardcore cow who hated everything Microsoft and especially Halo (for no good reason) in 2005/2006 to not only liking the 360 more than either Wii or PS3, but falling absolutely head-over-heels in love with the Halo series... and buying the Limited Edition console bundle (for convenience reasons more related to my current 360 being on it's last legs, then it being Halo-themed). That isn't just shocking, I'm downright flabbergasted.
Avatar image for speedfreak48t5p
speedfreak48t5p

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 62

#11 speedfreak48t5p
Member since 2009 • 14420 Posts

I enjoyed Fallout New Vegas. That wasn't supposed to happen. :?

DeadMan1290

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 29

#12 DeadMan1290
Member since 2005 • 15752 Posts

To be honest: Kinect, saying commands to your Xbox is pretty neat. I like it.

Nengo_Flow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Nengo_Flow
Member since 2011 • 10644 Posts
How everywhere I went I was the only person who owned a PS3.
DeadMan1290

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 29

#14 DeadMan1290
Member since 2005 • 15752 Posts
How everywhere I went I was the only person who owned a PS3. Nengo_Flow
LOL.
santoron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#15 santoron
Member since 2006 • 8584 Posts

Japan's decreased relevance on consoles.

The rise of the generic military and futuristic (or even furturistic military) shooters that has taken so much wind out of other genres and completely consumes millions of gamers' playtime.

Avatar image for almasdeathchild
almasdeathchild

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#16 almasdeathchild
Member since 2011 • 8922 Posts

how addicting achievements are to get.

and how much more popular online is. i remember it being meh but damn it kickstarted

Stinger78

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Stinger78
Member since 2003 • 5846 Posts
The letdown of how David Jaffe and the team handled this-gen's entry into the Twisted Metal series. With Twisted Metal: Head-On finally being a worthy successor to TM 2, I was excited to see where they might go with a new game. What I got was another 'side-step' in a Black 2 that wasn't even as good as Black. Maybe next time he can put the focus back on more character variety rather than trying to direct a slasher movie.
Blabadon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 1

#18 Blabadon
Member since 2008 • 33030 Posts
How Sony did a complete tailspin in their business. How competent Microsoft became in just two generations. How stupid I was for ignoring the Wii and all its game for so long. All the things PC gaming can do. If I never came on SW, I would have had a stupid attitude towards it.
cainetao11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 77

#19 cainetao11
Member since 2006 • 38036 Posts
Fanboy denial. I guess I'm an optimist when it comes to human beings. because I was really sure they werent that ignorant. That some swear the Wii was not a good console with games to play and enjoy; that the 360 has NO games; that the PS3 rivals PC graphics; that there is a massive gap in the power of the PS3 and 360; that you need cutting edge graphics to be a good new console; that their own preferences are objective facts and can be argued as such. That they can petition companies to not put a game on multiple platforms, because maximizing revenue isnt every company's (except non profit) goal. That these console companies really feel they are competing with the PC. I really, through this gen in the Wars saw that we as a species are pretty stupid.
GD1551

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 GD1551
Member since 2011 • 9645 Posts

How terrible the Wii is.

WreckEm711

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 WreckEm711
Member since 2010 • 7362 Posts

Nintendo coming out with another Donkey Kong Country game.

whiskeystrike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 whiskeystrike
Member since 2011 • 12213 Posts

Steam and PC gaming.

I used to think WoW was the only PC game worth playing.

RageQuitter69

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#23 RageQuitter69
Member since 2012 • 1366 Posts

The shocking similaritie between gaming and China Airlines flight 006.

Plagueless

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Plagueless
Member since 2010 • 2569 Posts
The complete lack of decent JRPGs on consoles. I can literally count them all on my fingers. And I don't even like JRPG's, It was just shocking.
1PMrFister

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#25 1PMrFister
Member since 2010 • 3134 Posts
Fanboy denial. I guess I'm an optimist when it comes to human beings. because I was really sure they werent that ignorant. That some swear the Wii was not a good console with games to play and enjoy; that the 360 has NO games; that the PS3 rivals PC graphics; that there is a massive gap in the power of the PS3 and 360; that you need cutting edge graphics to be a good new console; that their own preferences are objective facts and can be argued as such. That they can petition companies to not put a game on multiple platforms, because maximizing revenue isnt every company's (except non profit) goal. That these console companies really feel they are competing with the PC. I really, through this gen in the Wars saw that we as a species are pretty stupid.cainetao11
That's been a part of gaming since the SNES and Genesis days...
cainetao11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 77

#26 cainetao11
Member since 2006 • 38036 Posts
[QUOTE="cainetao11"]Fanboy denial. I guess I'm an optimist when it comes to human beings. because I was really sure they werent that ignorant. That some swear the Wii was not a good console with games to play and enjoy; that the 360 has NO games; that the PS3 rivals PC graphics; that there is a massive gap in the power of the PS3 and 360; that you need cutting edge graphics to be a good new console; that their own preferences are objective facts and can be argued as such. That they can petition companies to not put a game on multiple platforms, because maximizing revenue isnt every company's (except non profit) goal. That these console companies really feel they are competing with the PC. I really, through this gen in the Wars saw that we as a species are pretty stupid.1PMrFister
That's been a part of gaming since the SNES and Genesis days...

And I've been gaming since before those days. I never said it didnt exist, I was relating how shocked I am that the reality of this broke my optimism for our collective intelligence.
Avatar image for ristactionjakso
ristactionjakso

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

#27 ristactionjakso
Member since 2011 • 6118 Posts

How ps2 had so many good rpg's while this gen is sh!t when ti comes to rpg's.

Sorry, but Mass Effect isn't a rpg in my book.

navyguy21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 navyguy21
Member since 2003 • 17453 Posts

How ps2 had so many good rpg's while this gen is sh!t when ti comes to rpg's.

Sorry, but Mass Effect isn't a rpg in my book.

ristactionjakso

I agree with this 100%. We had so many RPGs last gen, both JRPG and WRPGs. This gen we got crap like Venetica :|

Disagree about ME though. I love the series :P

Avatar image for deactivated-5ac102a4472fe
deactivated-5ac102a4472fe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 deactivated-5ac102a4472fe
Member since 2007 • 7431 Posts

I think it has been the change within the industry, where the creative people are vanishing, in favor for people in expensive suits calling the shots. How games became more of a money game, and how investors brought down devs more often then bad games did.

Last gen was where we started to see it I guess, with more people brought in from the outside, to help govern Publishers and Devs (people with no interrest in gaming, or wish to see it evolve). This gen it went incredibly fast to reach a point where alot of the top posisions were given to people who were focused on the money aspect, and not the pushing of creativity. And some of the statements this gen were horrible, almost reflecting game making as something akin to factory work, and not an artistic field of work.

That was what shocked me the most, a gen about how much money they could squeeze out of the consumer, how much money people could bleed from the industry itself, and how many of devs and publishers became shadows of thier former selves as a result.

Symptoms being.

Yearly incremental releases of games: (what used to be called expansion packs, now seen as full games), with little reason for evolved story or tech but soley for monetery gains, killing off IPs with oversaturation, with no wish to evolve anything.

DLC: While a good idea at the start of the gen, with mini expansion packs (or outright expansion packs). It was hard to ballance, and they still have not mastered fully. (some give moneys worth and more, most gives very little or a steep price) Alot of the DLC often felt like it was things cut from the game, for additional gain which defeated the purpose of what DLC were envisioned to be, and the worst cases it became locked content on discs you allready owned and bought. Basicly they alloed to lock portions of the game you allready bought, while legally allwoed, it was morally irrisponsible.

Stagnent games and genres: the lack of risk from alot of places began to show, there have always been copycatting, usually good aspects of one game in a genre, would be found in another, but the refusal to take much risks ment that alot of creativity were denied.

Which ofcourse leads me to something else that shocked me about as much.

How we the consumers in average care very little about our hobby, and gladly let people in the industry undermine this hobby of ours.

How there were no questions about the DLC for a very long time, and the response never became more then a meager "well I suppose it is how it is supposed to be"

How we gamers were the ones who forced the Devs and Pubs to make more safe bets, since a huge group of us did not wish to take chances buying something that did not play exactly as the other games we had, or were indeed the same exact game in a new setting. Gamers basicly killed alot of creativity by "voting with our wallet"

How we as gamers showed how ill informed we were on average, that the games hyped with huge margeting campaigns "must be the best games" while huge segments abandoned word of mouth.

How We the consumers got such a snobby attitude, effectively killing off mid tier games, for most of the gen (leaving them just on pc, and late this gen on the DL store (thank god)

How We as gamers Supported the running ips to the ground, or never voiced concerns about how ips were handled (sure we are not in charge, but we are the consumers, if consumers do not voice thier concern the industry can not know if they do something wrong.

So in short: How the industry changed in my view to something worse, heading down the path of Hollywood at a speed much faster then the movie industry burned itself out.

And how we the consumers, showed to be either mindless masses, or not caring about gaming in general.

Wasdie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#30 Wasdie  Moderator
Member since 2003 • 53622 Posts

How popular CoD got.

Blabadon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Blabadon
Member since 2008 • 33030 Posts

I think it has been the change within the industry, where the creative people are vanishing, in favor for people in expensive suits calling the shots. How games became more of a money game, and how investors brought down devs more often then bad games did.

Last gen was where we started to see it I guess, with more people brought in from the outside, to help govern Publishers and Devs (people with no interrest in gaming, or wish to see it evolve). This gen it went incredibly fast to reach a point where alot of the top posisions were given to people who were focused on the money aspect, and not the pushing of creativity. And some of the statements this gen were horrible, almost reflecting game making as something akin to factory work, and not an artistic field of work.

That was what shocked me the most, a gen about how much money they could squeeze out of the consumer, how much money people could bleed from the industry itself, and how many of devs and publishers became shadows of thier former selves as a result.

Symptoms being.

Yearly incremental releases of games: (what used to be called expansion packs, now seen as full games), with little reason for evolved story or tech but soley for monetery gains, killing off IPs with oversaturation, with no wish to evolve anything.

DLC: While a good idea at the start of the gen, with mini expansion packs (or outright expansion packs). It was hard to ballance, and they still have not mastered fully. (some give moneys worth and more, most gives very little or a steep price) Alot of the DLC often felt like it was things cut from the game, for additional gain which defeated the purpose of what DLC were envisioned to be, and the worst cases it became locked content on discs you allready owned and bought. Basicly they alloed to lock portions of the game you allready bought, while legally allwoed, it was morally irrisponsible.

Stagnent games and genres: the lack of risk from alot of places began to show, there have always been copycatting, usually good aspects of one game in a genre, would be found in another, but the refusal to take much risks ment that alot of creativity were denied.

How we the consumers in average care very little about our hobby, and gladly let people in the industry undermine this hobby of ours.

How there were no questions about the DLC for a very long time, and the response never became more then a meager "well I suppose it is how it is supposed to be"

How we gamers were the ones who forced the Devs and Pubs to make more safe bets, since a huge group of us did not wish to take chances buying something that did not play exactly as the other games we had, or were indeed the same exact game in a new setting. Gamers basicly killed alot of creativity by "voting with our wallet"

How we as gamers showed how ill informed we were on average, that the games hyped with huge margeting campaigns "must be the best games" while huge segments abandoned word of mouth.

How We the consumers got such a snobby attitude, effectively killing off mid tier games, for most of the gen (leaving them just on pc, and late this gen on the DL store (thank god)

How We as gamers Supported the running ips to the ground, or never voiced concerns about how ips were handled (sure we are not in charge, but we are the consumers, if consumers do not voice thier concern the industry can not know if they do something wrong.

So in short: How the industry changed in my view to something worse, heading down the path of Hollywood at a speed much faster then the movie industry burned itself out.

And how we the consumers, showed to be either mindless masses, or not caring about gaming in general.

Maddie_Larkin
It's funny seeing all this...

How popular CoD got.

Wasdie
And then one simple sentence like this.
Goyoshi12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 Goyoshi12
Member since 2009 • 9687 Posts

[QUOTE="Maddie_Larkin"]

Symptoms being.

Blabadon

It's funny seeing all this...

How popular CoD got.

Wasdie

And then one simple sentence like this.

yllaicepsE gniwonk eidsaW yllaer sekil ot epyt a tol. (Especially knowing Wasdie really likes to type a lot)

Tessellation

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Tessellation
Member since 2009 • 9297 Posts
ps3 fanboys stupidity.
immortality20

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 36

#34 immortality20
Member since 2005 • 8546 Posts

The terrible performance of the Wii, well the 3rd party support. The terrible Ps3 launch, and the failure in hardware on multiple systems (I've had 3 PS3s and 2 360s) and the raging fanboys bouncing from one opinion to the other.

Overall, I'm most shocked it hasn't ended yet.

Goyoshi12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 Goyoshi12
Member since 2009 • 9687 Posts

metsyS sraW.

(System Wars)

psymon100

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 psymon100
Member since 2012 • 6835 Posts

The release of this:

DukeNukemForever.jpg

It was first announced in 1997.

Avatar image for TheWalkingGhost
TheWalkingGhost

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#37 TheWalkingGhost
Member since 2012 • 6092 Posts

platniumgamer
simomate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 simomate
Member since 2011 • 1875 Posts

TomatoDragonPSN
When Nintendo released its second 6th gen console and decided to join so late in the 7th generation with Wii U.
Selkc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 Selkc
Member since 2011 • 203 Posts

i was shocked when i realized my 360 didn't have hdmi. why did they release that one?? every time i play it i feel like i'm playing an imitation of the 360

MLBknights58

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 MLBknights58
Member since 2006 • 5016 Posts

How much I absolutely fell in love with Mass Effect and PC gaming.

I loathed the Sci-Fi genre, but Mass Effect sucked me in and I never want to go back. Only touched a PC for Facebook and e-mail. I only used to play Doom 1-3 and Deus Ex on PC, but once I got Steam.. well that's all she wrote.

TopTierHustler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 TopTierHustler
Member since 2012 • 3894 Posts

The shameless casualization.

Also Capcom. I've never seen a developer go to crap so fast.

campzor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 campzor
Member since 2004 • 34932 Posts
cant really think of anything to be honest... standard console gaming allround
Blade8Aus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 Blade8Aus
Member since 2006 • 1819 Posts

How popular CoD got.

Wasdie

Oh, sh--.

Man, in hindsight that really was surprising. I remember thinking CoD 3 was the beginning of the end of the series, but it picked up so suddenly, and then gradually at the same time.

*EDIT*

I've got a good one. Ensemble takes a break from making Age of Empires games to develop an XBox 360 exclusive RTS based on the Halo series. It is announced that they will close after developing the game, despite it recieving relatively positive hands-on previews. The future of AoE is now in doubt. In three years time, six years after the last game, the Age of Empires series returns with a free to play game with cartoony graphics.

GreySeal9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 41

#45 GreySeal9
Member since 2010 • 28247 Posts

The complete lack of decent JRPGs on consoles. I can literally count them all on my fingers. And I don't even like JRPG's, It was just shocking.Plagueless

I love JRPGs, and I was a bit surprised that the pickings were so slim this gen. Still, although the PS2 era was still a great JRPG era, it was a bit of a downgrade in quality from the PS1 era, so furthering declining this gen seems natural, but I didn't expect the decline to be so dramatic.

I was also very surprised that a Sony console has done so poorly as far as JRPGs are concerned. That's not to say that the other two consoles this gen are any better, but PS1 and PS2 were, alongside the SNES, the holy trinity of JRPG consoles, so to see such a poor selection on PS3 is a bit weird.

That being said, Xenoblade Chronicles was as good as past JRPGs.

GreySeal9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 41

#46 GreySeal9
Member since 2010 • 28247 Posts

Xbox 360 fanboys' increased stupidity beyond stupidity, consistent excessive unprecedented Alt Account creations just to bash Sony, suddenly jumping on the Kinect/Motion-sensing bandwagon when only a few years ago they were adamently against it and the level of butthurt & jelly risen from their shear anger towards an expensive console that launched at a hefty $600 price tag, but has very closely caught up with their precious 360 in global sales in just a matter of a few short years :lol:

2_Quiet_2_Riot

This guy is quite bitter.

ghostofzabis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 ghostofzabis
Member since 2005 • 2601 Posts

Overuse of QTE and rolling in games I think...

Avatar image for Stevo_the_gamer
Stevo_the_gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 49

#48 Stevo_the_gamer  Moderator  Online
Member since 2004 • 49576 Posts
DRM, and DLC. Both for the bad.
Ghost120x

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 Ghost120x
Member since 2009 • 6059 Posts
Megaman legends 3 being announced and then I was shocked again when it got canceled.
Bigboi500

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 Bigboi500
Member since 2007 • 35550 Posts

PS Vita failing so hard, so fast. Even I didn't think it would sell so little and have so few exclusive games.