What message is Microsoft sending with 'Elite'?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

proximo642

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 0

#1 proximo642
Member since 2003 • 991 Posts

First let me start by saying this.

I am a gamer and not a fanboy.  What I am about to say is just an observation from a gamers perspective.  I will still own a 360 and PS3. 

Microsoft released the information on it's new XBOX 360 Elite.  What message is it sending?

I believe the message is very clear.  The XBOX 360 was not an Elite Console so we are now making one we consider Elite.  So all of our current customers just go a gaming console but not an Elite Console.

So what does the Elite console add.  HDMI, Larger HDD and Black Paint.  So let me get this right.  The 360 was not an Elite system so we are now adding the features that are standard on the PS3.  The PS3 has HDMI, Larger HDD and it happens to be black.  I know the paint is irrelevant here, but many have expressed how Black matches most stereo and video equipment you would purchase allowing your console to blend with your entertainment system.

The PS3 consumer is an Elite consumer, regardless of which PS3 they choose to buy.  They both have the Elite options at least by Microsoft standards.  They both have HDMI and let's be honest.  The HDD is upgradable on both systems.

Now this new 360 Elite does not have everything the PS3 has, but MS considers the addition of HDMI and a larger HDD to be Elite.  So what is the PS3?  The PS3 has all of that and WiFi built in with BluRay Drive.

You see.  MS has just made the 360 console more confusing for consumers.  You now have 3 choices and if you don't buy the Elite version, well.....  You are just not getting an Elite Console.   On the Sony camp, all of their customers are getting an Elite System.

I won't spend the time to compare the value component by component because it has already been done by 1up.com 

To add all the components missing from the 360 Elite to match the PS3 and adding the components missing in the PS3 to match the the 360 Elite.  The results showed that the 360 Elite will cost you more to match the PS3 feature by feature, but even this was not fair, because the PS3 can play BluRay games and the 360 Elite would still not be able to play games beyond the 9 Gig DVD limit.  But even with this small fact overlooked, the 360 Elite would cost more than the PS3.  I don't remember the exact numbers but the PS3 was around $100 cheaper.  This included the HDD upgrade for the PS3 to match the 120 Gig HDD of the 360E.

Microsoft went on record to say that the PS3's larger HDD was not important and that HDMI was not important.  Why change it now?  Not only did they change their stance on this, but they even called these additional features Elite.  So is Microsoft saying that the PS3 is an Elite system and we are now trying to match it?  They did not say that, but anyone that is a gamer and not a fan boy knows that this is the case.

This is just my opinion as a Gamer.  Remember how I started this thread.  I have not purchased my PS3 or 360 yet, because I was waiting for my HDTV and several great games to be out for both systems.  Now when I decide to buy a 360, I will get the Elite version and the PS3 60 Gig version. 

I just think Microsoft sent a very clear message to all gamers (Not Fan Boys).  The 360 was not an Elite Console and we are now going to provide you with one.  It just happens to add the standard features of the PS3, but does not have all the features found in the PS3.  So if MS decided to match the PS3 next year.  The new 360 system will be called, 360 Elite 2 and have WiFi with HD-DVD standard.

Sony said that the PS3 was a 10 year investment you can count on and Microsoft has just made that statement more real than ever.  Sony did not release a console before they felt it contained everything their customer should have on an Elite Console.  The 360 obviously did not do this and if I would have purchased a 360 before this announcement, I would have been ticked off.  I always pay for the best version of any gadget or electronics equipment.  So I would have felt abandoned or deceived by Microsoft.  I would have felt terrible knowing that I did not have the Elite version of a console.

I hope you guys can see my point.  Let's game on and for those of you that waited for the 360, you now have the choice to get an Elite version.

Game On.

thizzinpeace

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 thizzinpeace
Member since 2006 • 67 Posts
does it really matter they both play the same games and thats suppose to be all that matters isnt it after all it is a GAME system
Riverwolf007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 Riverwolf007
Member since 2005 • 26023 Posts
I don't know what message they are sending, what I do know is that even though I won't buy one, these things are going to sell out quickly and perhaps even be scalped on Ebay as soon as they release. The only real mistake they made with the elite was not having it ready for launch in Europe on the same day the PS3 came out.
MavsFan2007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 MavsFan2007
Member since 2006 • 1697 Posts
the message you say? that Nintendo isn't the only company who can remake game systems and make tons of money. lol
donalbane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#5 donalbane
Member since 2003 • 16383 Posts
The message they are sending is "Hey, if you want IPTV and want to use Marketplace to save a lot of shows, we've got a bigger hard drive option, and for those of you with 1080p sets that lack VGA inputs, we've got you covered. Finally" Neither one of those things apply to me, so I don't feel slighted at all by this, although I may get the bigger hard drive eventually just because I am a sucker.
CalmityDaunt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 CalmityDaunt
Member since 2006 • 296 Posts
"Jump Off"
MavsFan2007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 MavsFan2007
"Jump Off"CalmityDaunt
lol.
Shadow_op

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#8 Shadow_op
Member since 2006 • 4566 Posts
the message you say? that Nintendo isn't the only company who can remake game systems and make tons of money. lolMavsFan2007
actually i'm a sheep and i lol'ed:lol: How many Gameboys were there? But the DS was a huge step.
longhornnf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 longhornnf
Member since 2005 • 146 Posts
now u have 3 ways to go, only a lame a#s would trash this. people b#tch cause they bought a new xbox and this comes out. man all 3 play the same games. maybe i should call gmc and compain cause there 07 sierra has more options and a new color then my 06. i guess the old saying goes the more u give someone the more they complain. i for one love the color and am pleased with the retro black xbox 1 color and hdmi as this takes away much cluter in the back of the tv. laters
MavsFan2007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 MavsFan2007
[QUOTE="MavsFan2007"]the message you say? that Nintendo isn't the only company who can remake game systems and make tons of money. lolShadow_op
actually i'm a sheep and i lol'ed:lol: How many Gameboys were there? But the DS was a huge step.

i am a sheep too! lol
hot114

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#11 hot114
Member since 2003 • 4489 Posts
Ether buy a cheap xbox core/premium and save alot of money or B. buy a PS3 for a more powerful device
The elite lets you pay more while still not quite as good as a PS3 i dont see how that soundfs apealing to anyone.
Socrates88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Socrates88
Member since 2007 • 1655 Posts
The message? Simple, misguidance. Sometimes choices makes thing more complicated than they should be. 3 SKUs...
Avatar image for marcusbennettus
marcusbennettus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 marcusbennettus
Member since 2003 • 29 Posts

To me , It looks like the message from microsoft says this..

"I know some people never purchased a 360 because of a lack of hard drive and HDMI , well now we have included them in a package to make you buy one"