What makes you choose console gaming over Pc gaming or viceversa?

• 100 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for Metroid_Other_M
Metroid_Other_M

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 Metroid_Other_M
Member since 2009 • 438 Posts

This gen I decided to switch to console gaming, mainly because of the HD, because of the games and because I didn't wanna spend lots of money on upgrading my Pc. So I bought an xbox 360 and also a ps2, this latter to play the games I had missed out on last gen.

So, I've been using my pc mainly for work and to play some managerial and adventure games, because the console could deliver what I needed at a very cheap price, letting me play for many years without thinking about upgrading the hardware.

Of course there are cons, like you will always get worse graphics and often worse performance than powerful but also nowadays-average Pc's.

But aside from the mouse + keyboard support and the tweaking with the game settings, I think consoles do it just right for those who just want to play games without nitpicking graphical aspects, framerates and such.

What's your thoughts? are you happy with consoles/Pc gaming and why you prefer one system over the other one?

Skittles_McGee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 Skittles_McGee
Member since 2008 • 9136 Posts
This gen I decided to switch to console gaming, mainly because of the HDMetroid_Other_M
...wut?
mitu123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

#3 mitu123
Member since 2006 • 155290 Posts

Consoles for the exclusives, muliplats you can get on PC and many that aren't on PC(if you don't know them, look them up) and friends.:)

Metroid_Other_M

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Metroid_Other_M
[QUOTE="Metroid_Other_M"]This gen I decided to switch to console gaming, mainly because of the HDSkittles_McGee
...wut?

high definition
110million

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#5 110million
Member since 2008 • 14910 Posts
[QUOTE="Skittles_McGee"][QUOTE="Metroid_Other_M"]This gen I decided to switch to console gaming, mainly because of the HDMetroid_Other_M
...wut?

high definition

Like.. the thing PC has had for 10 years.. that High Defenition?
Metroid_Other_M

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Metroid_Other_M
[QUOTE="110million"][QUOTE="Metroid_Other_M"][QUOTE="Skittles_McGee"] ...wut?

high definition

yes?
Skittles_McGee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Skittles_McGee
[QUOTE="110million"][QUOTE="Metroid_Other_M"][QUOTE="Skittles_McGee"] ...wut?

high definition

^what he said
Yandere

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Yandere
Member since 2009 • 9878 Posts

[QUOTE="110million"][QUOTE="Metroid_Other_M"] high definitionMetroid_Other_M

yes?

Then why did you switch to consoles for HD when PC had it all along?

cloudff7tm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 cloudff7tm
Member since 2006 • 3975 Posts

I prefer console gaming because it's just less of a hassle. I play on PC sometimes, but not much.

I also can't see myself buying parts to upgrade it either.

I don't care about graphics that much and I'm not crazy about M+KB, so there's really no incentive to get into PC gaming.

MadVybz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#10 MadVybz
Member since 2009 • 2797 Posts

I chose console gaming.

Why? I live in Bermuda. Take any price of a gaming PC, then double it. I'm not prepared to pay those prices. :lol:

Metroid_Other_M

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Metroid_Other_M

[QUOTE="Metroid_Other_M"][QUOTE="110million"] Like.. the thing PC has had for 10 years.. that High Defenition?Yandere

yes?

because they finally supported HD like the Pc
-Sir-Poof-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#12 -Sir-Poof-
Member since 2006 • 4544 Posts

I prefer the software on consoles to that seen on the PC.

SPYDER0416

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

#13 SPYDER0416
Member since 2008 • 16736 Posts

[QUOTE="Metroid_Other_M"][QUOTE="110million"] Like.. the thing PC has had for 10 years.. that High Defenition?Yandere

yes?

To be fair even if PC has HD, its not like you can play on a 60 inch screen with surround sound. Thats actually one of the main things consoles have over PC's, alongside splitscreen, low cost, no hardware requirement issuesand console exclusives. PC's do have the edge on tech, online, moddingandcontrol scheme, but the lack of true exclusives really hurts when MS and Sony can pull out definitive never going anywhere else exclusives that make you want that system. Well, Sony at least, and Nintendo.

Avatar image for deactivated-63f6895020e66
deactivated-63f6895020e66

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 deactivated-63f6895020e66
Member since 2004 • 21177 Posts
Console gaming is easier, cheaper and there's nothing on PC that makes me want to change. I know that PC has a lot of advantages, it's just that I don't care enough about them.
Avatar image for deactivated-5cf4b2c19c4ab
deactivated-5cf4b2c19c4ab

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 deactivated-5cf4b2c19c4ab
Member since 2008 • 17476 Posts

[QUOTE="Yandere"]

[QUOTE="Metroid_Other_M"] yes?SPYDER0416

To be fair even if PC has HD, its not like you can play on a 60 inch screen with surround sound. Thats actually one of the main things consoles have over PC's, alongside splitscreen, low cost, no hardware requirement issuesand console exclusives. PC's do have the edge on tech, online, moddingandcontrol scheme, but the lack of true exclusives really hurts when MS and Sony can pull out definitive never going anywhere else exclusives that make you want that system. Well, Sony at least, and Nintendo.

to the contrary, you can do exactly that with pc, hell even netbooks and smartphones can do that.
Hanass

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

#16 Hanass
Member since 2008 • 2204 Posts

I like console gaming but it's just way too expensive. Where I live, a new console games costs $80 while a PC game costs $50 on steam, and $25 on week-end sales. Not to mention you don't have to dish out $300 for a machine that can do nothing but play games. I really don't get why people say that console gaming is so much cheaper.

110million

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 110million

[QUOTE="SPYDER0416"]

[QUOTE="Yandere"]

ferret-gamer

to the contrary, you can do exactly that with pc, hell even netbooks and smartphones can do that.

Heck, I do that.. its too easy to hook up a PC to the same screen you use for consoles.. and now you can use any controller, and make it look a ton better.

oajlu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#18 oajlu
Member since 2006 • 2652 Posts

[QUOTE="Metroid_Other_M"][QUOTE="Skittles_McGee"] ...wut?110million
high definition

yeah rite. how much is a 1080P monitor in 2000? $50,000? i remember plasma TV 40" was $10,000 USD back in 2000, and it's not full HD TV. dont bs if you dont have no idea at all.

aia89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#19 aia89
Member since 2009 • 2828 Posts

I like console gaming but it's just way too expensive. Where I live, a new console games costs $80 while a PC game costs $50 on steam, and $25 on week-end sales. Not to mention you don't have to dish out $300 for a machine that can do nothing but play games. I really don't get why people say that console gaming is so much cheaper.

Hanass
that's a good point. all things considered Pc is cheaper than consoles
anotherone10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#20 anotherone10
Member since 2008 • 1559 Posts

This gen I decided to switch to console gaming, mainly because of the HD

Metroid_Other_M

I bet any money, someone will sig this LOL :lol:

110million

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 110million

[QUOTE="110million"][QUOTE="Metroid_Other_M"] high definitionoajlu

yeah rite. how much is a 1080P monitor in 2000? $50,000? i remember plasma TV 40" was $10,000 USD back in 2000, and it's not full HD TV. dont bs if you dont have no idea at all.

Oh please. :lol: It was not 1080p, that is not the minimum HD resolution btw, but PCs have had resolutions around 1024x768 and higher for a very long time, consoles were up to 480i until this gen for the most part, this is the first gen they have proper resolutions, sure the XBOX hasd some 720p support, but even that is much later then PC had high resolutions.
aia89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 aia89

[QUOTE="oajlu"]

[QUOTE="110million"] Like.. the thing PC has had for 10 years.. that High Defenition?110million

Oh please. :lol: It was not 1080p, that is not the minimum HD resolution btw, but PCs have had resolutions around 1024x768 and higher for a very long time, consoles were up to 480i until this gen for the most part, this is the first gen they have proper resolutions, sure the XBOX hasd some 720p support, but even that is much later then PC had high resolutions.

it's safe to say that the current gen consoles can't really handle native 1080p, except in a few games

dontshackzmii

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 dontshackzmii
Member since 2009 • 6026 Posts

i started out with consoles this gen. But my bro moved out and took his systems and i sold my wii . so right now i am a pc gamer only . I am disappointed with it thus far . I do like the hardware online and mods . however pc has a long list i things i really don't like . I really don't like being held down to windows . its a slow buggy os . so i use ubuntu for everything els . pc games have no resale vaule cant trade them in and no retail used market . some games need huge specs due to them being poorly made. pretty much every game i got this year at launch needed an update to get them to work right . i hate all the DRM with pc games . game installs a huge these days . its like 15 gbs for empire total war and over 20 with the add on . Not many games take advantage of pcs power . dx 10 was not even taken advantage of .

if you like performance pc is great however i feel the console owner ship is a better over all experience. everything just works on a console. only thing thats bad with consoles is they are more locked down. 08 and 09 has not been a great year for pc exclusives as devs are all going console .

aia89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 aia89

i started out with consoles this gen. But my bro moved out and took his systems and i sold my wii . so right now i am a pc gamer only . I am disappointed with it thus far . I do like the hardware online and mods . however pc has a long list i things i really don't like . I really don't like being held down to windows . its a slow buggy os . so i use ubuntu for everything els . pc games have no resale vaule cant trade them in and no retail used market . some games need huge specs due to them being poorly made. pretty much every game i got this year at launch needed an update to get them to work right . i hate all the DRM with pc games . game installs a huge these days . its like 15 gbs for empire total war and over 20 with the add on . Not many games take advantage of pcs power . dx 10 was not even taken advantage of .

if you like performance pc is great however i feel the console owner ship is a better over all experience. everything just works on a console. only thing thats bad with consoles is they are more locked down. 08 and 09 has not been a great year for pc exclusives as devs are all going console .

dontshackzmii
you're also held down by sony, ms and nintendo eh..
dontshackzmii

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 dontshackzmii

[QUOTE="dontshackzmii"]

aia89

yeah thats 3 company's to pick from. If i dontlike what they offer i can move on . But for pc gaming i am stuck with crappy windows . i have no other choice .

Skittles_McGee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Skittles_McGee

[QUOTE="aia89"][QUOTE="dontshackzmii"]

dontshackzmii

yeah thats 3 company's to pick from. If i dontlike what they offer i can move on . But for pc gaming i am stuck with crappy windows . i have no other choice .

Um, what exactly is so bad that it affects how well you can game on your computer?
dontshackzmii

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 dontshackzmii
[QUOTE="dontshackzmii"]

[QUOTE="aia89"] you're also held down by sony, ms and nintendo eh..Skittles_McGee

Um, what exactly is so bad that it affects how well you can game on your computer?

DRM back ground apps clog registry viruses drivers and so on
Skittles_McGee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Skittles_McGee

[QUOTE="Skittles_McGee"][QUOTE="dontshackzmii"]

dontshackzmii

...and yet for some strange reason I don't have these issues. Why is that :|

adv_tr00per

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 adv_tr00per
Member since 2006 • 2605 Posts

PC for better graphics and more advanced games

Avatar image for deactivated-5cf4b2c19c4ab
deactivated-5cf4b2c19c4ab

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 deactivated-5cf4b2c19c4ab
Member since 2008 • 17476 Posts

[QUOTE="dontshackzmii"][QUOTE="Skittles_McGee"] Um, what exactly is so bad that it affects how well you can game on your computer?Skittles_McGee

he says he usually uses ubuntu. while windows may seen normal and fast to the normal user but a good linux or bsd distro puts windows to shame. i dual boot both and there is a very noticeable difference between the responsiveness of the two.
Skittles_McGee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Skittles_McGee
[QUOTE="Skittles_McGee"]

[QUOTE="dontshackzmii"] DRM back ground apps clog registry viruses drivers and so on ferret-gamer

he says he usually uses ubuntu. while windows may seen normal and fast to the normal user but a good linux or bsd distro puts windows to shame. i dual boot both and there is a very noticeable difference between the responsiveness of the two.

If my game is running fine, why go to all the extra work :?
aia89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 aia89

[QUOTE="ferret-gamer"][QUOTE="Skittles_McGee"]

Skittles_McGee

people like it complicated :P :S

110million

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 110million

[QUOTE="ferret-gamer"][QUOTE="Skittles_McGee"]

Skittles_McGee

If I wanted to go to the extra trouble, I can make a custom XP with enough barebones apps and services to only run games, MS provides a fairly easy to use kit, but you know what? Who cares, stuff runs fine already.

Skittles_McGee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 Skittles_McGee

[QUOTE="Skittles_McGee"][QUOTE="ferret-gamer"] he says he usually uses ubuntu. while windows may seen normal and fast to the normal user but a good linux or bsd distro puts windows to shame. i dual boot both and there is a very noticeable difference between the responsiveness of the two.110million

If I wanted to go to the extra trouble, I can make a custom XP with enough barebones apps and services to only run games, MS provides a fairly easy to use kit, but you know what? Who cares, stuff runs fine already.

Yeah, exactly. And I mean I'm on Vista "teh terrible OS" (that I have yet to see all the criticism for) but my games run like they should. Why go the extra mile :P
good_sk8er7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#36 good_sk8er7
Member since 2009 • 4327 Posts

Why on earth do people still think pc can't do hd. PC games play in much higher resolution!!! LMAO

Anyways, I chose both!!!!

I like console gaming better because I know I'll always meet the requirements to run the game at full :)

I like PC gaming better because it just IS better.

But I also like controllers better than kb/mouse, and I hate configuring gamepads

aia89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 aia89

if the consoles were like the Snes, then I'd choose them over Pc. but do I really need to get a current gen console for these very few good exclusives they deliver every year?

nah

dontshackzmii

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 dontshackzmii

[QUOTE="dontshackzmii"]

mudman91878

First off, I hope english isn't your first language because that was painful to read.

Now, PC games not having resale value doesn't prevent them from having more value than console games. You pay $60 for a console game, play if for a month, maybe two, then trade it in and only get $20. So, in that case, you lose $40. Well, the vast majority of PC games can be had for less than $40 so even if you can't sell them or trade them in you've still saved more money than a console game. It's mind boggling that so many people actually think console gaming is cheaper than PC gaming when it's easily the opposite.

Game installs for PC are small considering the size of HDD's these days.

Yes, DX10 was used and DX11 will be too.

Everything works on a PC too. I can't even remember the last time I had a problem with a virus, but, game not working, etc. If you have problems like that, stop going to sites that have those things floating around. 99% of people who have PC problems it's because they caused them or went to a website that they weren't suppose to.

I don't know what games you are playing . But i have had many problems with games this year. empire total war was a mess it needed so much work. the game was not done when it came out . the sims 3 has this graphics effect bug with hair . i got crysis this year and it was buggy the menu did not even work right untill i got the update .

110million

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 110million
[QUOTE="110million"]

[QUOTE="Skittles_McGee"] If my game is running fine, why go to all the extra work :?Skittles_McGee

Yeah, exactly. And I mean I'm on Vista "teh terrible OS" (that I have yet to see all the criticism for) but my games run like they should. Why go the extra mile :P

Vista's problems were so blown out or proportion by Apple it was kind of insane.. even the general public started believing them.. I got a few friends on Vista still, and I used Server 2008 for a year, which was Vista based, and it ran wonderfully, it might have required a bit of tweaking of permissions, but it was a few minutes to fix all these "horrible" problems Vista has.
Skittles_McGee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 Skittles_McGee

[QUOTE="Skittles_McGee"][QUOTE="110million"] If I wanted to go to the extra trouble, I can make a custom XP with enough barebones apps and services to only run games, MS provides a fairly easy to use kit, but you know what? Who cares, stuff runs fine already.

110million

Vista's problems were so blown out or proportion by Apple it was kind of insane.. even the general public started believing them.. I got a few friends on Vista still, and I used Server 2008 for a year, which was Vista based, and it ran wonderfully, it might have required a bit of tweaking of permissions, but it was a few minutes to fix all these "horrible" problems Vista has.

Yeah. The only major problem I had were a few old games I had to tweak to run. Thats not really a complaint to me though since that'd be like whining that your Wii doesn't play N64 games :P

The-Mosher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#41 The-Mosher
Member since 2009 • 1885 Posts

I like both, but I go with PC over Console because I play a lot of FPS' and RTS' and IMO, they work better on the PC.

mo0ksi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#42 mo0ksi
Member since 2007 • 12337 Posts
I picked PC gaming because the amount of choice and expansiveness is something ideal for a single system owner like myself IMO. It's not without its problems like every other system, but it's something I know that I can game exclusively for years. I've been doing it since 2006, and still loving it.
110million

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 110million

[QUOTE="110million"][QUOTE="Skittles_McGee"] Yeah, exactly. And I mean I'm on Vista "teh terrible OS" (that I have yet to see all the criticism for) but my games run like they should. Why go the extra mile :PSkittles_McGee

Yeah. The only major problem I had were a few old games I had to tweak to run. Thats not really a complaint to me though since that'd be like whining that your Wii doesn't play N64 games :P

Yeah, Windows 7 seems to be a bit better about older game compatibility, haven't run into any real problems yet. :o
dontshackzmii

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 dontshackzmii

[QUOTE="110million"][QUOTE="Skittles_McGee"] Yeah, exactly. And I mean I'm on Vista "teh terrible OS" (that I have yet to see all the criticism for) but my games run like they should. Why go the extra mile :PSkittles_McGee

i have win 7 its not much better then vista. its just vista with the fat cut out with a new task bar. it even looks like vista in the menus . if you use linux or osx windows is put to shame .

Skittles_McGee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 Skittles_McGee
[QUOTE="Skittles_McGee"]

[QUOTE="110million"] Vista's problems were so blown out or proportion by Apple it was kind of insane.. even the general public started believing them.. I got a few friends on Vista still, and I used Server 2008 for a year, which was Vista based, and it ran wonderfully, it might have required a bit of tweaking of permissions, but it was a few minutes to fix all these "horrible" problems Vista has. 110million

Yeah, Windows 7 seems to be a bit better about older game compatibility, haven't run into any real problems yet. :o

So I've heard. I'll probably make the switch when I get a new computer, whenever that is.
789shadow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#46 789shadow
Member since 2006 • 20195 Posts

I don't have the necessary technical knowledge to enjoy PC gaming. So I go with consoles.

Skittles_McGee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 Skittles_McGee

[QUOTE="Skittles_McGee"]

[QUOTE="110million"] Vista's problems were so blown out or proportion by Apple it was kind of insane.. even the general public started believing them.. I got a few friends on Vista still, and I used Server 2008 for a year, which was Vista based, and it ran wonderfully, it might have required a bit of tweaking of permissions, but it was a few minutes to fix all these "horrible" problems Vista has. dontshackzmii

i have win 7 its not much better then vista. its just vista with the fat cut out with a new task bar. it even looks like vista in the menus . if you use linux or osx windows is put to shame .

But you don't even say why. You simply tell me my OS isn't good enough and then give no reason.
110million

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 110million

[QUOTE="Skittles_McGee"]

[QUOTE="110million"] Vista's problems were so blown out or proportion by Apple it was kind of insane.. even the general public started believing them.. I got a few friends on Vista still, and I used Server 2008 for a year, which was Vista based, and it ran wonderfully, it might have required a bit of tweaking of permissions, but it was a few minutes to fix all these "horrible" problems Vista has. dontshackzmii

Windows 7 is a very nice OS actually, I've been using it since about early September, through my college's MSDN, and its probably the best Windows based OS ever, it might not be saying much, but I do use Linux on a daily basis, and for anyone who does any sort of gaming, a Linux distro is not good enough, its better to have a less efficient OS that can run all your normal programs, AND play games beautifully, then have one that runs better, but can't run as many things.
dontshackzmii

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 dontshackzmii

[QUOTE="dontshackzmii"]

[QUOTE="Skittles_McGee"]

Skittles_McGee

But you don't even say why. You simply tell me my OS isn't good enough and then give no reason.

i already did look at my other posts

Skittles_McGee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 Skittles_McGee

[QUOTE="Skittles_McGee"][QUOTE="dontshackzmii"]

dontshackzmii

i already did look at my other posts

Your other posts that listed problems I don't even have. I'm kind of inclined to believe you didn't have any problems the OS caused, you just jumped on the "it sucks" bandwagon.