What makes a RPG a RPG?

• 98 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

i5750at4Ghz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 i5750at4Ghz
Member since 2010 • 5839 Posts

I here alot about how ME isn't a true RPG, but I really don't understand why. There are so many different types of RPGs its hard for me to tell what an RPG is or isn't suppose to have.

Avatar image for deactivated-63f6895020e66
deactivated-63f6895020e66

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 deactivated-63f6895020e66
Member since 2004 • 21177 Posts

A french maid costume and a duster.

*Joke shamelessly stolen from some awesome dude whose name I don't remember. But he is awesome, and that's all matters.

rzepak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 rzepak
Member since 2005 • 5758 Posts

Like you say there are many types. To me ME is an action rpg. When I think of simply rpg I think of cRPGs like Baldurs Gate or Fallout, so freedom, character progression, story, stats.

Birdy09

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Birdy09
Member since 2009 • 4775 Posts
RPG is such a failure of a genre name.
reaver-x

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#5 reaver-x
Member since 2005 • 2795 Posts
story and character progression first and foremost followed by exploration and customization
jasonharris48

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 jasonharris48
Member since 2006 • 21441 Posts

Character progression, character development. I won't mention story since I can think of a lot of RPGs especially older titles that didn't tell any type of story.

Randoggy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Randoggy
Member since 2003 • 3497 Posts
RPG is such a failure of a genre name.Birdy09
Do you have something better?
Espada12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#8 Espada12
Member since 2008 • 23247 Posts

In the case of ME 2 being something more than a TPS and giving us some character customization would suffice.

i5750at4Ghz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 i5750at4Ghz
Member since 2010 • 5839 Posts
Alot of games can fit into these definitions. Red dead redemption could be considered a RPG given these definitions.
DJ_Lae

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 73

#10 DJ_Lae
Member since 2002 • 42748 Posts
Hitpoints and loli.
Yangire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Yangire
Member since 2010 • 8795 Posts

Stats, for me at least.

RobbieH1234

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 RobbieH1234
Member since 2005 • 7464 Posts

A game world that reacts in a satisfying manner to the character you've made or a meaningful choices & consequences system or both. Oh, and character skills as opposed to player skill.

But really, it's a genre where people want and expect different things, so we'll always have those tiresome discussions about how Mass Effect 2, Dragon Age 2, Skyrim etc. are dumbed down or whatever.

PBSnipes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 PBSnipes
Member since 2007 • 14621 Posts

A poorly implemented "court case" quest. An RPG just isn't an RPG unless your quest to save the universe is interrupted by having to decide whether or not Farmer Joe is guilty of killing Farmer Bob's prize pig.

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#14 foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts
Being able to interact with the game world in any way you wish, only being constrained by your creativity and imagination (i.e. instead of doing a quest for a reward, you just kill the quest-giver and loot their corpse).
Brean24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Brean24
Member since 2007 • 1659 Posts
Being able to interact with the game world in any way you wish, only being constrained by your creativity and imagination (i.e. instead of doing a quest for a reward, you just kill the quest-giver and loot their corpse).foxhound_fox
That sounds cool, but games like Baldur's Gate are considered RPGs, and they don't give this level of freedom. Granted, there different types of RPGs, but a great number of games that are considered RPGs do not fit your definition.
hensothor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 hensothor
Member since 2011 • 522 Posts

A game world that reacts in a satisfying manner to the character you've made or a meaningful choices & consequences system or both. Oh, and character skills as opposed to player skill.

But really, it's a genre where people want and expect different things, so we'll always have those tiresome discussions about how Mass Effect 2, Dragon Age 2, Skyrim etc. are dumbed down or whatever.

RobbieH1234
Hm... that's pretty good, I like that. It's pretty broad and general, which it needs to be, but still specific enough to not let anything in that's not an RPG. I mean RPG purists might want a more specific definition, but I like that one a lot.
Crimsader

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Crimsader
Member since 2008 • 11672 Posts
RPG is such a failure of a genre name.Birdy09
The Russians invented it first, I don't know what you're talking about.
DragonfireXZ95

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 DragonfireXZ95
Member since 2005 • 26650 Posts
Being able to interact with the game world in any way you wish, only being constrained by your creativity and imagination (i.e. instead of doing a quest for a reward, you just kill the quest-giver and loot their corpse).foxhound_fox
Rarely any of those games have that kind of freedom and usually the loot on quest givers is horrible. :P
Lord-Terror

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Lord-Terror
Member since 2011 • 25 Posts
An Rpg is a simple rpg Its different from other games - It doesn't have to have good graphics But graphics make the game better Rpg Mainly focuses on game play A real good rpg is a long one A good example of a good rpg is Dragon age : Orgins It has good graphics great story And Longass gameplay But its real hard to find a good rpg game these days
Lord-Terror

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Lord-Terror
Member since 2011 • 25 Posts
Thats right Take Fable and dragon age etc.. For instance Choices made the game a whole lot better
momentum_god

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 momentum_god
Member since 2011 • 779 Posts

Wow are these definitions are so bad, the original defintion of rpg is role playing game but that obviously isn't accurate considering every game is a role playing one in some sense, but what the genre rpg tends to refer to is leveling up and improving your characters stats and abilities a main focus of the game, when it's not a main focus but it is included the game is a different genre with rpg elements in it, and the whole argument around Mass Effect is the whole is leveling up the character a main focus or does it take a back seat to the shooting and isn't all that needed to play/complete the game

Arthas017

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#22 Arthas017
Member since 2010 • 295 Posts

I here alot about how ME isn't a true RPG, but I really don't understand why. There are so many different types of RPGs its hard for me to tell what an RPG is or isn't suppose to have.

i5750at4Ghz

I think the first ME is actually an RPG.

ME2... I couldn't even play it after 4hs, it didn't feel like the same game. I'd rather play a good TPS instead.

So, having played RPGs for a long time, I'm always expecting some stuff to be there:

- Being able to earn XP in a free worldmap, or places where you can explore freely.

- Equipment customization. You should be able to choose what items to wear, weapons to held, etc that can help in specific areas (Fire protection, Ice damage, etc)

- If it's action oriented, I don't expect a heavy story game but a very addictive gameplay (Diablo, Demon's Souls). If, it has kind of a more turn-somehow-based battle system, it must have a great story (Baldur's Gate, most Final Fantasy games).

- Looting, this is pretty obvious, but ME2 has a shooter approach were you find ammo, it's not like you can find an improved helmet, armor, weapon or somethin.

- A lot of options when you level up! Not like you should spend 10 minutes to level up, but I don't like that I just have to add some skill points from a very short list and that's it.

I won't go on, but I'll say my favorite RPG of all time is Baldur's Gate (both I and II), it has all the classic RPG features plus an awesome story. Dragon Age: Origins was also pretty good, to mention a more recent game, but story was not as good.

AdobeArtist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#23 AdobeArtist  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 25184 Posts

Stats and levelling up do have their place in RPGs, but that's just the surface mechanics of the game. The underlying experience is in the name itself - role playing game. And role playing involves two main things;

* the role is defined by the player - this is what distinguihes RPG from other genres where you are in control of a character but not in their role
* interacting with the world around you - each interaction being driven by the player and not scripted, how they define the character

It's these two principles in which the player can emulate acting as if they were the given character, and how that character would react to certain situations. In a sense the connection between player and role is that the character is an extension of the player, or is that players own unique alter ego from another perspective.

Maroxad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Maroxad
Member since 2007 • 23985 Posts

To me what makes an RPG an RPG is one that lets me play out as my own character. And emphasises character stats over player skills, furthermore world interactivity is a must and I should be able to interact with quests, NPCs and the environment in a variety of ways. If my character is bad with guns (or any combat skill for that matter), he shouldnt be able to finish most combat quests. Furthermore, how I solve quests and interact with the world should have consequences. How characters treat you should dephend on your charisma, your choices and actions, your deposition, your backround, and sometimes even your species or even gender.

Just wanted to add a few more.

• You knock the quest giver unconcious, then loot him
  • You Threaten the NPC to give you the reward perhaps through slander, hostage, death threats, ect
  • You do something horrible to the quest giver and the only way to undo it is through giving you the reward, maybe you kidnap his friend, steal a valuable possession
  • In some rare cases you can convince the NPC to just give you the quest reward, like in the beginning of Fallout 2 with your flintstone
  • Perhaps he has the reward stored in a crate or chest somewhere, lockpick it when he doesnt see, steal the reward afterwards.
  • Ask for an alternate quest for the same reward
  • If the quest involves getting money from someone and then giving it to the questgiver who said you needed to give the money back? Keep it for yourself.
savagetwinkie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 savagetwinkie
Member since 2008 • 7981 Posts
[QUOTE="IronBass"]

A french maid costume and a duster.

*Joke shamelessly stolen from some awesome dude whose name I don't remember. But he is awesome, and that's all matters.

that would be me!
enterawesome

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#26 enterawesome
Member since 2009 • 9477 Posts
Some people say a rich story that has/doesn't have choices, others say it has to be turn-based with leveling, others say it has to have a s***-ton of stupid mechanics and grinding involved.
Avatar image for turtlethetaffer
turtlethetaffer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 144

#27 turtlethetaffer
Member since 2009 • 18973 Posts

An RPG has some kind of leveling and stat building system, other than that, gameplay can vary alot between RPG's. All I know is that Zelda IS NOT and RPG.

OneSanitarium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#28 OneSanitarium
Member since 2009 • 6959 Posts

Stat based combat.

BlbecekBobecek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#29 BlbecekBobecek
Member since 2006 • 2949 Posts

Character developments, tons of various useful items and weapons, experiencing the characters growth in power. Also a good RPG should be story based. Action RPGs are more action oriented (i.e. dont have turn based combat, etc.) and tend to have a bit simplified RPG elements.

Typical great RPG of this generation is Witcher and Fallout 3.

Typical great action RPG of this generation is Demons Souls.

Mass Effect is on the borderline between action RPG and FPS with RPG elements - most importantly its an excellent game though (I especially enjoyed the first one).

metal_zombie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 metal_zombie
Member since 2004 • 2288 Posts

RPG may refer to:

Rocket-propelled grenade, a shoulder-launched anti-tank weapon

Role-playing game, in which players act out the roles of characters in a narrative game

Role-playing video game, a type of computer or video game

:P

SkyWard20

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 SkyWard20
Member since 2009 • 4509 Posts

The opinion of people who think they're entitled to defining a genre, I guess. Those guys.

Maroxad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 Maroxad
Member since 2007 • 23985 Posts

RPG may refer to:

Role-playing game, in which players act out the roles of characters in a narrative game

metal_zombie

Nah... RPG stands for Really Profitable Game. :P

SilverChimera

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#33 SilverChimera
Member since 2009 • 9256 Posts
Teh choices!!!!1!
SkyWard20

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 SkyWard20

And do you know which game exactly, lets you do that? :)

SilverChimera

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 SilverChimera
Member since 2009 • 9256 Posts

[QUOTE="foxhound_fox"]Being able to interact with the game world in any way you wish, only being constrained by your creativity and imagination (i.e. instead of doing a quest for a reward, you just kill the quest-giver and loot their corpse).SkyWard20

Minecraft! :D
turtlethetaffer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 turtlethetaffer

[QUOTE="foxhound_fox"]Being able to interact with the game world in any way you wish, only being constrained by your creativity and imagination (i.e. instead of doing a quest for a reward, you just kill the quest-giver and loot their corpse).SkyWard20

Can't you do that in Fallout?

SkyWard20

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 SkyWard20

To answer the topic, I'd say: every game that puts an emphasis on character progression ( through gameplay, not story only ), by gathering stat-based items, improving abilities, etc.

lundy86_4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#38 lundy86_4
Member since 2003 • 61530 Posts

Ewwww, this thread should become popular soon... It always does :P

Personally, I try to avoid defining RPG's as you're bound to get attacked by one group or another :(

DJ_Lae

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 73

#39 DJ_Lae
Member since 2002 • 42748 Posts
Anyway, for a serious answer - RPG has become a meaningless term. It encompasses games that give the player a great sense of choice, the ability to customize aspects of their character as they level up or gain abilities, as well as games that are propelled by a story and you engage in a series of battles where you gain experience and level up. Obviously JRPGs are barely RPGs if you take 'role playing' into account, but to say that they're not RPGs is equally silly because of their origins. They may have taken different inspiration from D&D and early RPGs, but they're still RPGs. Though some recent JRPGs are straying even further from their roots - Final Fantasy XIII is about as much an RPG as Mass Effect 2 is.
SkyWard20

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 SkyWard20

[QUOTE="SkyWard20"]

[QUOTE="foxhound_fox"]Being able to interact with the game world in any way you wish, only being constrained by your creativity and imagination (i.e. instead of doing a quest for a reward, you just kill the quest-giver and loot their corpse).turtlethetaffer

I doubt the only thing that constrains you in Fallout is your own creativity. Plus I believe there are benefits to setting the player through a plot where where there are boundaries and some important events can't be altered. It works well as long as you're given a long range of options with which you can react to those events.
meetroid8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 meetroid8
Member since 2005 • 21152 Posts
Stat tracking and character progression. Under its broadest terms every RPG needs to have these two gameplay features.
turtlethetaffer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 turtlethetaffer

[QUOTE="turtlethetaffer"]

[QUOTE="SkyWard20"]

SkyWard20

I doubt the only thing that constrains you in Fallout is your own creativity. Plus I believe there are benefits to setting the player through a plot where where there are boundaries and some important events can't be altered. It works well as long as you're given a long range of options with which you can react to those events.

I was just answering your question. Besides, didn't someone say Minecraft? Haven't played it, but it fits the bill, from what I understand.

edidili

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 edidili
Member since 2004 • 3449 Posts

Rpg stand for playing a role and no Halo is not rpg because you can play the role of master chief. Chief is an already established role and you have no say on how that character evolves or how he shapes the story. Dragon Age is a rpg. You decide on what race you'll be, either a a noble or a commoner. You decide how your character will go through the story. You shape the character in the way you want, in the way he fights and the way he communicates. Many rpgs like jrpgs or diablo have only the character building part (combat wise). For me these are lite rpgs.

There are many stads in the rpg genre and it all depends on how much freedom the game will give you to make your character your own. So yeah, ME is rpg. It gives you a bit of freedom to shape Shepard the way you want although the second did strip it down even more.

XileLord

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 XileLord
Member since 2007 • 3776 Posts

RPG to me has stats, items to collect (armor, weapons, fun things etc) a good game world, at least a bit of exploration, lots of character customization options, currency, vendors, and most of all a good story and soundtrack.

ME1 had a lot of these while ME2 streamlined everything so it felt more like a shooter then a RPG to me, but still a good game.

SkyWard20

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 SkyWard20

[QUOTE="SkyWard20"][QUOTE="turtlethetaffer"]

turtlethetaffer

I was just answering your question. Besides, didn't someone say Minecraft? Haven't played it, but it fits the bill, from what I understand.

I disagree with Minecraft too. Let's apply the Molyneux experiment: can I plant an acorn, water it, or carve my name into it as I watch it grow over time in Minecraft? If the answer is 'no', then Minecraft loses on this one. :P
metal_zombie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 metal_zombie
Member since 2004 • 2288 Posts

[QUOTE="metal_zombie"]

RPG may refer to:

Maroxad

Nah... RPG stands for Really Profitable Game. :P

I forgot that one :lol:
turtlethetaffer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 turtlethetaffer

[QUOTE="turtlethetaffer"]

[QUOTE="SkyWard20"] I doubt the only thing that constrains you in Fallout is your own creativity. Plus I believe there are benefits to setting the player through a plot where where there are boundaries and some important events can't be altered. It works well as long as you're given a long range of options with which you can react to those events.SkyWard20

I disagree with Minecraft too. Let's apply the Molyneux experiment: can I plant an acorn, water it, or carve my name into it as I watch it grow over time in Minecraft? If the answer is 'no', then Minecraft loses on this one. :P

Ok, whatever, it's obvious you will never find a game that fits that one guy's requirements or whatever. Even though, I'm pretty sure you can kill quest givers and loot their corpses in fallout if you wanted.

Lucianu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 Lucianu
Member since 2007 • 10347 Posts

i5750at4Ghz

But why not just google and inform yourself for 10 minutes? You would feel enlightened.

Also, a RPG is a RPG if it has significant correlation with its roots laid decades ago by the computer form of DnD. There are many sub-genres that appeared over time from the first itteration of a computer video DnD game, and all have somewhat of a resemblence to that common model.

sethman410

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 sethman410
Member since 2008 • 2967 Posts
[QUOTE="Birdy09"]RPG is such a failure of a genre name.Randoggy
Do you have something better?

Lol, it's true though.
Avatar image for MetroidPrimePwn
MetroidPrimePwn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 MetroidPrimePwn
Member since 2007 • 12399 Posts

It has to be an explosive warhead propelled by a rocket fired from the shoulder.