Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 jaydan
Member since 2015 • 8437 Posts

Inb4 the "lol u guiz having metldowns over the opinions of others"

Newsflash: people are getting paid to have a relevant opinion; therefore, it should be our right to subject these opinions to scrutiny.

With that all said: what is in your opinion of a great game from 2019 that got hugely snubbed over major gaming platforms - whether it's on Gamespot, the VGA's, IGN or etc.

So - System Wars - let's take a time to vent over our picks of the great snubs of 2019 over the award season.

-----------------------------------------

My pick is Astral Chain. I am okay with it not being nominated for overall GOTY but it is just offensive Gamespot could not even acknowledge it as one of the best Switch games of 2019.

To make matters worse is Gamespot had to put a novelty experience like Untitled Goose Game above a fleshed-out game like Astral Chain. Seriously, what were they thinking? Was Untitled Goose Game even the best indie game of 2019? I think not!

Untitled Goose Game is only there because it was a viral meme sensation - a sensation you will play for an hour or two once, and any other times you'll play it is when you're either drunk or high with your friends and you're trying to be random.

What the hell were you thinking, Gamespot?

/endrant

Anyways, what is your pick(s) of snubbed games this year from the prominent award season platforms?

Star67

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 29

#2 Star67
Member since 2005 • 5173 Posts

I'm playing Astral Chain right now, and while I agree it's a good game I can see why it isn't getting a lot of recognition during award season. .

1. Astral Chain doesn't try anything new, yes I now the combat mechanics are different, but at it's core it's still a standard action game. Linear levels, re used assets etc...

2. Story isn't really great, and the characters don't have any weight or substance to them; which makes you not care about them at all.

3. The controls are not easy to get used to, yes you can learn them and you eventually get the hang of it, but damn this is not a play once or twice a week game (which sadly is about all the gaming time I get, so I'm always having to relearn how to play this game)

4. It's going up against Sekiro and DMC5, and Astral Chain in the things 3 I listed about doesn't compare well in those areas.

Astral Chain has great graphics, fantastic music, deep combat mechanics, and has some charm (Love Lappy).

But it's a little lacking in some areas when you compare it to similar games in the genre.

Solid 8/10 for me dawg

jaydan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 jaydan
Member since 2015 • 8437 Posts

@Star67: That's just my personal pick of what got snubbed this year. Do you have any picks?

Star67

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 29

#4 Star67
Member since 2005 • 5173 Posts

My Pick would be DMC5

I have not played a lot of newer games this year, Fallen Order, Outer Worlds, Sekiro, and Days Gone are on my Xmas list so I'll hopefully be playing a few of those early into next year. So My GOTY could change.

But from what I've played, DMC5

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#5 Archangel3371
Member since 2004 • 44301 Posts

I would say that Dragon Quest XI S: Definitive Edition not being nominated in the RPG category at the VGAs is probably the biggest oversight.

pyro1245

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#6  Edited By pyro1245
Member since 2003 • 9407 Posts

I think it's weird that PC, Xbox, PS4 and GOTY all have:

• RE2
  • Sekiro
  • Outer Wilds
  • Control

They're all 80% the same. What's the point? Might be time to change up the categories.

Prediction: PS4 GOTY will be Death Stranding, because the other games will all win in other categories.

hrt_rulz01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 hrt_rulz01
Member since 2006 • 22389 Posts

@jaydan said:

Inb4 the "lol u guiz having metldowns over the opinions of others"

Newsflash: people are getting paid to have a relevant opinion; therefore, it should be our right to subject these opinions to scrutiny.

With that all said: what is in your opinion of a great game from 2019 that got hugely snubbed over major gaming platforms - whether it's on Gamespot, the VGA's, IGN or etc.

So - System Wars - let's take a time to vent over our picks of the great snubs of 2019 over the award season.

My pick is Astral Chain. I am okay with it not being nominated for overall GOTY but it is just offensive Gamespot could not even acknowledge it as one of the best Switch games of 2019.

To make matters worse is Gamespot had to put a novelty experience like Untitled Goose Game above a fleshed-out game like Astral Chain. Seriously, what were they thinking? Was Untitled Goose Game even the best indie game of 2019? I think not!

Untitled Goose Game is only there because it was a viral meme sensation - a sensation you will play for an hour or two once, and any other times you'll play it is when you're either drunk or high with your friends and you're trying to be random.

What the hell were you thinking, Gamespot?

/endrant

Anyways, what is your pick(s) of snubbed games this year from the prominent award season platforms?

1000% agree about Astral Chain... like you said, it's absolutely ridiculous that it's not even getting a mention in even Switch's best games of 2019, let alone overall GOTY discussions.

Goose Game is a cool game, but come on ffs!

Avatar image for deactivated-6092a2d005fba
deactivated-6092a2d005fba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#8 deactivated-6092a2d005fba
Member since 2015 • 22663 Posts

Never played this Astral Chain, but the people here at Gamespot (im not going to call the reviewers) have been shit ever since I joined here 15, and was most likely shit well before I got here.

ZmanBarzel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#9 ZmanBarzel
Member since 2014 • 3141 Posts

@Archangel3371 said:

I would say that Dragon Quest XI S: Definitive Edition not being nominated in the RPG category at the VGAs is probably the biggest oversight.

The original PS4 release of "Dragon Quest XI" got nominated last year, though, so this one either wasn't eligible or people thought the addition of a 16-bit version and new music wasn't enough to deserve a nomination in 2019.