What is your Opinion on Portable Gaming?

• 78 results
Avatar image for deactivated-587acdd100f19
deactivated-587acdd100f19

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#51 deactivated-587acdd100f19
Member since 2008 • 908 Posts

I have no problem playing my portable devices in public. I can't be bothered by worrying about some outward image of myself to perfect strangers.

@charizard1605 said:

I prefer it

Me as well. To me it's more legitimate than console gaming, but that's just because of my own preferences. Even if it's at home, I'd rather spend time with these devices than my consoles.

Howmakewood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#52  Edited By Howmakewood
Member since 2015 • 7714 Posts

Pretty much forgot we even own a Vita..

Dont really game on the go, prefer to read while traveling

madskills6117

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#53  Edited By madskills6117
Member since 2006 • 4172 Posts

Haven't played the 3ds or vita in ages but I enjoy portable gaming for home use.

Litchie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#54 Litchie  Online
Member since 2003 • 34726 Posts

I love it. Phone games I can do without, those suck, but 3DS is awesome. If someone wants to call me childish because I play a real game on the 3DS instead of some crappy phone game, be my guest.

MirkoS77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#55  Edited By MirkoS77
Member since 2011 • 17683 Posts

When I'm on the go I don't much have time to game, and when I do my phone suffices perfectly. I rarely think about gaming when not home. If I were traveling a lot everyday (hours on the sub or constant air travel) for business I would be but I'm very localized and very rarely venture far or even could if I wished (live on Maui where the farthest place away only takes a couple of hours to get to).

There's the comfort factor also. I don't like playing on something with the comfort of a brick with a tiny screen and cheap speakers and shit battery life. I want to be on my couch with my legs kicked up with a brewsky besides me, smoking a bowl, with great sound, huge HD screen, and my cat chillin' in my lap. That's prime for me.

Portable gaming is uncomfortable and impractical, and I'll only do it if I have no other option.

dynamitecop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#56 dynamitecop
Member since 2004 • 6395 Posts

I'm not a big fan of it anymore, I feel that it has very little applicable function in adult life.

Avatar image for deactivated-5bb25e4a41d76
deactivated-5bb25e4a41d76

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#57 deactivated-5bb25e4a41d76
Member since 2016 • 372 Posts

Love portable gaming. I prefer gaming on a PC/Console, but I probably play more on my 3DS/Vita than those. Totally get what you mean about being out in public. I'm pushing 40, and I can't get over the feeling that there is some notion by most people that I shouldn't be playing video games because I'm old. I'm kind of getting to that point though that I'm too old to care. I travel fairly often and nothing is more boring than sitting in an airport then on a subsequent flight just sitting there. So I watch movies and play games. In addition to all that, the library that the DS/3DS has is so off the wall incredible, it's hard not to play. I seriously don't think I'll ever play & finish all the games I have interest in on that system.

ConanTheStoner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#58 ConanTheStoner
Member since 2011 • 23719 Posts

Yeah, people in public aren't going to care. And even if someone does, **** em.

But portable gaming just isn't my thing. My hierarchy of gaming is: At the desk > On the couch >>>>>>>>>>>>>> On the go.

It's rare for me to be out and in a position to kill time with a game. And on those rare occasions I'll bust out the phone for some Tetris. Those instances usually aren't planned, so even though I'd rather be playing some good handheld game, I never have a handheld with me.

And when I'm at home? I'd rather just be on the PC or a console.

I know I'm missing out on a lot of gems by not playing handhelds, but honestly I have more games than I can play as is. Kind of hard to rationalize spending my game time on a handheld at the house when I have such a backlog on my preferred platforms.

Avatar image for deactivated-5c1d0901c2aec
deactivated-5c1d0901c2aec

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#59 deactivated-5c1d0901c2aec
Member since 2016 • 6762 Posts

Yeah, it seems the general consensus among those that don't play on handheld consoles is that they don't like playing on a smaller screen nor do they have the time to when they are on the go.

It's interesting to see what people think about it as the size of the screen has never mattered to me.

thereal25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#60 thereal25
Member since 2011 • 2074 Posts

@jumpaction said:
@thereal25 said:

I'm not really into it. Real gaming requires the proper time, place and setup.

Portable gaming is underpowered and super-casual.

What makes you say that? I think there are plenty of games on portable devices that could be considered deeper experience than games on home consoles.

@flyincloud1116 said:

Portable gaming is highly overstated, especially in the states. I rarely see anyone just out walking or sitting on a park bench playing with a 3DS or DS. I highly doubt that would change with the Switch, no matter how Nintendo and @charizard1605 wants us to believe it.

It is a very rare thing to see here. Mostly because people are getting their portable gaming fix on their mobile phones.

I generally think of 2d sidescrollers and kiddie mario/zelda/pokemon/angry birds type stuff when I think of portable gaming.

That said, I guess it's evolving - and I suppose you can get reasonably high-tech games on portables now.

But most of it seems geared to quick-thrill action type stuff - because usually when people are gaming on phones/handhelds they're just sorta killing time in an environment that could have many distractions.

I just played about five hours of The Witcher 3 on pc. Lights off, door closed, headphones on, 24 inch screen, ultra settings, 60fps. Very immersive and invigorating. I find it hard to imagine a portable experience could compare.

I find that I get the most out of games when I have a good amount of time to spend. (A quick 30 - 40 minutes - especially on a complex game - can be an excercise in frustration - it's hard to really "get into" it in that time frame.) Similar with reading books, I find.

It's sort of like what would you rather do: watch a movie from start to finish or watch it 15 minutes a day spread out over a week!

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#61  Edited By deactivated-5c1d0901c2aec

@thereal25:

I guess it depends on the type of games you play and the experiences you're looking to have.

Generally speaking, if I'm having fun, I don't mind if the graphics are that immersive. I'm not really a graphics kind of guy.

I don't think portable gaming aims for that, like you said. I think generally, they seem to aim to offer immediately fun experiences that can be played in a short span of time. Though there are moves towards games on portables that require longer play sessions.

360ru13r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#62  Edited By 360ru13r
Member since 2008 • 1856 Posts

I've always been one to play games more on a big screen like 15 inches or greater but I've never not seen value in a handheld gaming device. Cell phones and tablets are what's hurting that market but thanks to nintendo the market continues to just barely hang on. At this rate though Nintendo my drop the handheld market and just stick with mobile game but that is still to be seen. Also ain't nothing wrong playing on a 3DS or old school DS. Mario Kart DS is a blast.

pyro1245

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#63 pyro1245
Member since 2003 • 9416 Posts

I don't do it. When I'm not at my house gaming or whatever I'm off doing something else, or driving. I can see how it would be beneficial if you have frequent, long train rides or something similar when you have a lot of waiting to do.

Plus I'd rather use my bad ass displays at home since, you know, I have them.

SecretPolice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#64 SecretPolice
Member since 2007 • 44222 Posts

Not a big fan. The last one I bought was the Sega Nomad many, many moons ago. :P

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 72

#65 Pedro  Online
Member since 2002 • 70156 Posts

I bought a 3DS and I enjoyed the games I played. However, I was annoyed that the games are only available for the 3DS and not the WiiU or Wii. I don't enjoy the handheld experience over the home console by a large margin. I have tried to use the 3DS on the go but it was uncomfortable and not fun. I used it mostly at home, so the point of the handheld is negated. I don't touch the device anymore because a better experience is a few feet away.

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#66 lamprey263
Member since 2006 • 44643 Posts

I see nothing wrong with playing them in public, I do all the time. If people think that's a problem, then I don't care what they think. People on their cellphones are usually more annoying anyways.

speedfog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#67 speedfog
Member since 2009 • 4966 Posts

Yeah people look weird when you play on a portable game system, but playing smartphone games is acceptable whenever you do it.

Avatar image for deactivated-5a7fcf5e55c95
deactivated-5a7fcf5e55c95

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#68  Edited By deactivated-5a7fcf5e55c95
Member since 2011 • 2103 Posts

I am a bit self-conscious when I whip the 3DS out in public, but I know it's more of an irrational fear. I don't think people really care that you're playing video games out in public (and if so, that's rather shallow). They may be curious as to what the device you're holding is, but that's about it. The only time I think people might be "judging" is if you were to go out to lunch with a friend or what not and be absorbed with your device. Something I admittedly do at times lol.

I really enjoy gaming on the go, the screen isn't a problem, as the game is easy to see and feels just as good as it would be on the TV (obviously putting aside the size difference). It's a good way to kill time on road trips or if you're waiting for a plane, boat, etc. Though, I haven't recently used my 3DS as much as I like, especially out in public. I just typically play at home if I need my handheld fix.

I think the biggest problem for mobile gaming is that it is littered with games that gaming enthusiasts are revolted by i.e. free-to-play games like: Game of War, Clash of Clans, Candy Crush, Angry Birds, Temple Run, etc. Games that exploit players into spending money with little given in return (at least in my opinion). You could argue hardware capabilities also push it back, but mobile gaming is quickly growing in what it is capable of running. Minecraft isn't very demanding for a PC or even a dedicated console, but the fact that a tiny smartphone can run that is pretty impressive.

It's kind of one of the hopes I have with the Switch. Due to being a hybrid, it allows Nintendo to put both its handheld and console games onto one system. It allows players who'd rather play games on the go to do so, without spending more money on a separate home console and a handheld. For those who feel opposed to portable gaming, they can just leave it docked and not have a care in the world.

EDIT: Whoops! Forgot I left the quote in there.

LegatoSkyheart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 1

#69 LegatoSkyheart
Member since 2009 • 29733 Posts

I love playing games on Vita and 3DS.

It's a shame I don't really put more time into them like I do on TV systems. But when I'm on the road, I usually bring them with me.

Mobile gaming however can just go die in a ditch.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#70 deactivated-5c1d0901c2aec

@PikminWorld:

I feel the same way about screen size. The size on handheld consoles has never been a problem for me. I mean, I'm holding the device directly in front of me. :P

I will be going on a long flight next week so I am bringing a few books and my 3DS with me to keep me company.

Zensword

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#71 Zensword
Member since 2007 • 4510 Posts

I like both on handhelds and consoles but right now I prefer handheld, especially when playing JRPG but I don' t play in public.

Avatar image for deactivated-5f26ef21d6f71
deactivated-5f26ef21d6f71

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#72  Edited By deactivated-5f26ef21d6f71
Member since 2006 • 2521 Posts

Lost interest about 10 years ago. Sold my GBA SP and Nintendo DSXL and about 60 games, just recently after Thanksgiving.

My iPhone and iPad has taken over. But for casual short games. I just don't play that much portable gaming anymore.

I have no interest in the Switch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#73 deactivated-5c1d0901c2aec

@KingsofQueens:

It's nice that you get your portable fix on your phone and tablet. Even still, there are plenty of options for more dedicated gamers on those platforms too, so the choice is there if you ever need it.

intotheminx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#74 intotheminx
Member since 2014 • 2608 Posts

I have a handheld, but I do not take it out of the house. It's in the bathroom. I fire up a game of MK7 or Smash when I have to take a shit.

FrozenLiquid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#75 FrozenLiquid
Member since 2007 • 13555 Posts

Guys, nobody thinks you're a geek if you play with a handheld in public.

If you know my shit posting history, you'll know that I continuously rub this geeky hobby in the face of people. So yeah, take my word for it.

It's cool, play games in public. You might even find someone looking over at being interested in what you play.

DrRollinstein

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#76 DrRollinstein
Member since 2016 • 1163 Posts

The 3DS is one of the most perfect things ever created. The vita, to a lesser degree, is also fantastic for weeb stuff and as a Ps1 emulator.

So portable gaming is great.

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#77 DaVillain  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 56317 Posts

@FrozenLiquid said:

Guys, nobody thinks you're a geek if you play with a handheld in public.

If you know my shit posting history, you'll know that I continuously rub this geeky hobby in the face of people. So yeah, take my word for it.

It's cool, play games in public. You might even find someone looking over at being interested in what you play.

This is by far the correct post here folks. As I said in my post, I love to play my handheld 3DS on the bus on my way to work or somewhere else, and I never have this fear of playing a handheld in public, in fact very few strangers will ask me what I'm playing, I kinda tell them the truth, it'll be Pokemon or Mario.

Back when I was growing up, playing Gameboys in Public was the cool thing on the block but now, it's all Mobile gaming and fewer handheld gaming.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#78 deactivated-5c1d0901c2aec

@FrozenLiquid@davillain- I like your posts guys. :) These are a great way to be!!!