What is your final verdict on Resident Evil 7?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for SolidGame_basic
SolidGame_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 SolidGame_basic
Member since 2003 • 45106 Posts

To me it's a 9/10. I base my score on the overall enjoyment of the game. Sure the story was pretty ridiculous, but it was ridiculous in an old school Resident Evil kind of way. But the game itself was great, with some really good jump scares and tense moments. It's great to have the series return to its roots. What is your overall verdict on the game, SW? Let us know in the comments below.

lundy86_4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#2 lundy86_4  Online
Member since 2003 • 61482 Posts

Good game, but not without it's issues, and not my favourite RE. Still incredibly refreshing for the series.

Got sidetracked by Tales of Berseria and soon Nioh. I'll finish it at some point.

Avatar image for deactivated-5c0b07b32bf03
deactivated-5c0b07b32bf03

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 deactivated-5c0b07b32bf03
Member since 2014 • 6005 Posts

I hear it's pretty horrifying in PSVR. I'll try it out when I get my bundle from GameStop in a couple weeks.

ZombieProof

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By ZombieProof
Member since 2016 • 359 Posts

It's incredible. The atmosphere and gameplay are great and the gameplay did a phenomenal job of both bringing something new while at the same time executing the best aspects of what made REmake great back in the day.

I'm going to have to give it a 9/10 over 10/10 simply because of the lack of enemy variety. What's contained in the package kept me engaged from beginning to end though. Tried going through Madhouse on my second playthrough and got my ass squarely handed to me so I'm speed running now for the running shoes. Hopefully that along with the "Albert" and Defensive Scroll can make my next attempt at Madhouse less painful hahahaha.

Slashkice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Slashkice
Member since 2007 • 14192 Posts

I loved it. I would have liked harder puzzles, but just having the classic RE gameplay back was great.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d1e44cf96229
deactivated-5d1e44cf96229

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By deactivated-5d1e44cf96229
Member since 2015 • 2814 Posts

I rented it and played it for over an hour this weekend and then quit since I was pretty bored by it.

It brings the horror atmosphere back so I guess it is at least better than Resident Evil 5 and 6, but that's not really saying much. The gameplay was boring to me though and it didn't feel like a Resident Evil game to me. It felt more like one of those indie horror walking sim games from the past few years that Youtubers like to make videos of themselves playing. I'm not a fan of those kind of games so I was pretty disappointed and I still think there hasn't been a good Resident Evil since Resident Evil 4.

Avatar image for deactivated-5ac102a4472fe
deactivated-5ac102a4472fe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#8 deactivated-5ac102a4472fe
Member since 2007 • 7431 Posts

Likely the best mainline resident evil game since 4 (but is it really? I mean it seems linked to re: revalations 1.

But man the first half is SO well made that Capcom deserves every bit of goodwill they can get from it. It feels great, it also feels more like resident evil then the series has done in a long long time.

I would not say that it stumples in the later half, but it loses some of its momentum, and identity. I am not sure how well it will do in replay value, might do well, but the starting fights is rather rigid.

But awesome game, far better then I expected it to be, a solid 8/10 here ( and yeah in my world an 8 is really freaking good).

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#9 lamprey263
Member since 2006 • 44562 Posts

I only paid $27 for it, so I got my money's worth. Want to replay it, but not in a rush just yet, want to knock off some of my backlist before the Nintendo Switch comes so I can save money by not buying Nioh, Nier, and Horizon right away, to offset cost of a new system and a couple launch titles. But, overall, Capcom did good. Not sure if the hype for it is real, I mean great reviews overall, and a pretty decent game. I can't help but feel though that a lot of the excitement comes because Capcom far exceeded people's expectations since they've kind of been in a big slump these last few years.

ItWasMe-DIO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By ItWasMe-DIO
Member since 2017 • 57 Posts

I'll go with 910. It's a return to form for RE, best one since RE4 easily. They have a strong base to continue with for the future of the series; just make more challenging puzzles, more enemy variety, and a longer game.

KBFloYd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#11 KBFloYd
Member since 2009 • 22714 Posts

here is mine

ConanTheStoner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 ConanTheStoner
Member since 2011 • 23712 Posts

Haven't played it/10

I'm waiting for extreme discounts. Not because I think it's a bad game, I haven't even paid it much attention. Just have too much other stuff to play and I'm not expecting it to be great. If it is, I'll be pleasantly surprised.

djura

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 djura
Member since 2016 • 542 Posts

I don't give numerical scores - but I would say that Resident Evil VII is a brilliant experience. It breathes fresh life into the franchise, which I think was really overdue. And, taken on its own terms, it's a clever and well-executed game that really delivers horror in some unique ways.

My two biggest complaints about the game though are the final quarter (everything outside the grounds of the Baker family home), as well as the story.

On the latter point, I've noticed a lot of outlets praising the story. I must admit, I enjoyed it while it was about the Bakers and their experience - but once it opens up and the "backstory" is revealed, I think it falls flat in a big way. It just devolves into cliche in the most boring way possible for me. I felt there was a real opportunity to do something a bit more unique and esoteric here, but towards the end it kind of reverts to form and takes on the most ham-fisted elements of the franchise in terms of story. Blah.

I also thought the gameplay in the last quarter or so felt like a chore - it felt to me like the developers were really trying hard to pad things out. As soon as you go to the ship, I think it starts to unravel in a big way - there's so much needless back-and-forth on the ship, it just feels really clumsy to me, and I wanted it to be over (which is a shame because I loved everything before that point).

I was hoping that the story would simply be about an accident where the Bakers essentially found something they didn't understand and it ran amok - that's sort of how the story starts out, but Capcom adds needless RE bullshit involving (gasp) an evil little girl who doubles as a bioweapon. Ugh. That really disappointed me.

Despite those two reservations though, I thought the rest of the experience was so good that it overshadowed the disappointing bits. Well worth playing, and a great game overall. I'm now really hoping Capcom double down on the great stuff for Resident Evil VIII.

sukraj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#14  Edited By sukraj
Member since 2008 • 27859 Posts

It's a solid game it's one the best resident Evil games I have ever played.

R10nu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By R10nu
Member since 2006 • 1679 Posts

It's pretty close to being perfect within the constraints of its old-school RE formula.

I do agree with the sentiment that the story is weak though. It's by no means worse than any of the previous games, but they've squandered the opportunity to do more than a slight tonal shift with it.

Oh, and little girls are not scary no matter what crazy abilities they have, Mr. F.E.A.R. writer-guy.