What is your favorite Generation and why?

Pharoahogc1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 Pharoahogc1
Member since 2004 • 174 Posts

Now that 8th generation of consoles will be winding down in the next 2 years I ask you what was your favorite Generation and why?

Mine would have to be the 7th, I just feel so much innovation matched with good games cane out during that time that pushed the industry forward.

hrt_rulz01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 hrt_rulz01  Online
Member since 2006 • 22376 Posts

Even though I've played many more games in the last 2 gens than previous ones, I still have a massive soft spot for the 6th gen of consoles... Xbox & Gamecube are still the consoles I have the fondest memories of.

lundy86_4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#4 lundy86_4
Member since 2003 • 61485 Posts

Probably 5th-gen. Loved the original PS.

KBFloYd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#5  Edited By KBFloYd
Member since 2009 • 22714 Posts

the NES one. the 1st? 2nd?

when i first feel in love with gaming.

nintendoboy16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

User Lists: 14

#6 nintendoboy16
Member since 2007 • 41534 Posts

Gen Six (PS2, XBOX, GameCube).

Gaming-Planet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#7  Edited By Gaming-Planet
Member since 2008 • 21064 Posts

Gen 6.

Amazing games and ton of innovation.

Avatar image for deactivated-63d1ad7651984
deactivated-63d1ad7651984

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#8 deactivated-63d1ad7651984
Member since 2017 • 10057 Posts

Gen Six GTA3 pretty much got me back into gaming and I never stopped since.

AJStyles

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#10 AJStyles
Member since 2018 • 1430 Posts

This is the best generation in terms of games.

In terms of trolling on game forums, nothing beats the PS2 gen. So much fun on the internet.

thehig1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#11 thehig1
Member since 2014 • 7537 Posts

Gen 5 because I was younger back then (around 10-15 for the duration of most the gen)

That_Old_Guy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 That_Old_Guy
Member since 2018 • 1233 Posts

Gen 4.

It was the first true taste of a “new gen” and it blew me away.

Games like A Link to the Past were ground breaking and mind blowing back then. Then Star Fox with real ploygons.

That Retroscopic graphics technique in games like Flashback.

Honestly I hadn’t had that sort of fun with video games since that gen until this gen. This gen comes close but too many nostalgic fond memories that I know probably aren’t valid but hey...it’s how I feel.

Litchie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#13 Litchie
Member since 2003 • 34610 Posts

GC, Xbox, PS2. Whatever gen that was.

@ajstyles said:

In terms of trolling on game forums, nothing beats the PS2 gen. So much fun on the internet.

Yes, surely people can't have the fondest memories of that gen. Either they say this gen is best, or they're trolling, makes sense.

This is the best generation for AAA studios to be extremely successful with milking gamers on tons of money for crap that in the past came with the purchase of the game. It's gone so far that developers have loot boxes in mind from the beginning while creating games and have the games designed around it. It's even a-ok to not finish your game before starting to milk people. Sony pumps out samey movie games. Microsoft isn't doing games. Nintendo charges for crap online. No one wants to make ambitious PC games. This is probably one of the worst gens.

Ghosts4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#14  Edited By Ghosts4ever  Online
Member since 2015 • 24922 Posts

Whatever generation from 1998 to 2007 was. golden age of gaming imo. with we have seen games form Half life, RTCW, Splinter cell trilogy, Riddick EFBB, Max Payne, Deus Ex, System shock 2, Crysis, STALKER etc.

last gen was probably worst. this gen is major imrpovement.

Ghosts4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Ghosts4ever  Online

@Litchie said:

This is probably one of the worst gens.

not as bad as last gen for sure.

ArchoNils2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#16 ArchoNils2
Member since 2005 • 10534 Posts

It's hard, but I guess I go with Gen 5, even though I loved Gen 4 and 6 too.

Litchie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Litchie
@ghosts4ever said:
@Litchie said:

This is probably one of the worst gens.

not as bad as last gen for sure.

Eh, I don't know. Both are about equally crap. Last one might take the crap crown since Nintendo made a crap console.. I've had to rely on indie studios for quite some time now as good non- shit-driven AAA games are hard to come by. Trying my best to keep away from all the shit that taints games today, but I fear I fight a losing battle.

I'm just waiting for people to play Loot Box - The game, and websites giving it 8/10. You can buy a new opening box sound for 5.99. Also, the green loot box color is now only 7.99 on sale! The game is only in pre-alpha, but for those interested, buy it for 59.99. We might patch the bugs in 3-5 years time. Maybe. You guys liked the advanced mechanics of the earlier games? Ok, but we believe you're not smart enough to handle that anymore, so we dumbed everything down for you. Now it's the same as all other games, so you know how to play.

/rant

Ghosts4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Ghosts4ever  Online

@Litchie said:

Eh, I don't know. Both are about equally crap

Last gen was good untill 2007. then it become crap. as 2007 was one of the best year in gaming every. or id say best ever.

last gen ruined many good games and classic when this gen bring them back

Resident evil 7 is better than 5 and 6 which were crap. and RE2 remake looks on another level.

Hitman absolution was crap and ruined the franchise. then Hitman and Hitman 2 bring them back. and once again they are good as old times.

Last gen most of FPS were crap COD clone and it hurt me because FPS are what made 90 percent of gaming to me.

last gen we were getting Doom 4 as call of Doom before it got cancelled. this gen we got masterpiece that Doom reboot was and its sequel coming next year. no one thought last gen that Doom series will once again resurrected again. and its better than any of last gen FPS not named STALKER.

Prey is much better than bioshock and bioshock infintite. by very large margin. its finally a game that is even resemble and close to System shock 2 than fake wannabees like bioshock.

Last gen we got Rage 1 which was failure by id. now we are getting much improved version Rage 2 which looks what Rage 1 and borderlands should have been.

Metro Exodus is once again a game that is looking better than any of last gen FPS not named STALKER. last gen Metro games were linear corridor shooter despite being excellent. Exodus even if it manage to be 50 percent of Good like STALKER. it can become one of the best FPS of all time. and im expecting it to be better than Half life 2.

so yes last gen was worst gen ever. this gen is just improvement over last. not as good as early 00s but certainly better than what we got from 2008 to 2012.

Litchie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Litchie
@ghosts4ever said:
@Litchie said:

Eh, I don't know. Both are about equally crap

Last gen was good untill 2007. then it become crap. as 2007 was one of the best year in gaming every. or id say best ever.

1. last gen ruined many good games and classic when this gen bring them back

Resident evil 7 is better than 5 and 6 which were crap. and RE2 remake looks on another level.

Hitman absolution was crap and ruined the franchise. then Hitman and Hitman 2 bring them back. and once again they are good as old times.

2. Last gen most of FPS were crap COD clone and it hurt me because FPS are what made 90 percent of gaming to me.

last gen we were getting Doom 4 as call of Doom before it got cancelled. this gen we got masterpiece that Doom reboot was and its sequel coming next year. no one thought last gen that Doom series will once again resurrected again. and its better than any of last gen FPS not named STALKER.

Prey is much better than bioshock and bioshock infintite. by very large margin. its finally a game that is even resemble and close to System shock 2 than fake wannabees like bioshock.

3. Last gen we got Rage 1 which was failure by id. now we are getting much improved version Rage 2 which looks what Rage 1 and borderlands should have been.

4. Metro Exodus is once again a game that is looking better than any of last gen FPS not named STALKER. last gen Metro games were linear corridor shooter despite being excellent. Exodus even if it manage to be 50 percent of Good like STALKER. it can become one of the best FPS of all time. and im expecting it to be better than Half life 2.

so yes last gen was worst gen ever. this gen is just improvement over last. not as good as early 00s but certainly better than what we got from 2008 to 2012.

1. Yeah, I can agree with that. At least that's something, but I wish things were better than studios "trying to bring series back". It's like they need about 2-3 games to build them up to some goodness again.

2. Yeah, it kind of still is like that, though. When was the last time we had a worthy FPS game made for PC? And even DOOM had its' fair share of console symptoms.

3. I really liked RAGE as the shooting felt great. I even enjoyed the world and the characters. If that game was about 3 times longer, it would've been awesome. I'm slightly worried about RAGE 2. First, it's Avalance. I don't trust those guys to make a game I'd enjoy very much. Open games can also get lame very fast, so we'll see. Borderlands was fun at least since you had the RPG part of it all with loot and skill trees and coop. The shooting was really bad, but I actually didn't mind that much. Looking very much forward to RAGE 2, but still have some doubts.

4. Metro Exodus looks great. Wouldn't praise the series as much as you do though, since they're 5-8 hour linear games. I see them more as a way cooler and better CoD campaign. Buy for cheap and play once. I still get seriously annoyed when the Metro games take over my control and force me watch something scripted. Or make me shoot all my ammo on an enemy that was scripted to not be able to die. Like.. how long is it gonna take FPS devs to understand what was good about Half-Life(2)? I look forward to and will play the new one though, of course. The being much longer than the previous ones-part is promising.

Ghosts4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Ghosts4ever  Online

@Litchie said: Yeah, it kind of still is like that, though. When was the last time we had a worthy FPS game made for PC? And even DOOM had its' fair share of console symptoms.

Who cares if it has console sympton? it run and play much better on PC and played like any of PC FPS. I found it better than many of PC oriented FPS like Crysis which i find excellent but Doom surpassed it. because Crysis play like a console shooter with ironsight and regen health.

I gave you Prey which is also very PC oriented FPS with 1 2 3 hotkeys to select weapons and quick saves.

@Litchie said: I really liked RAGE as the shooting felt great. I even enjoyed the world and the characters. If that game was about 3 times longer, it would've been awesome. I'm slightly worried about RAGE 2. First, it's Avalance. I don't trust those guys to make a game I'd enjoy very much. Open games can also get lame very fast, so we'll see. Borderlands was fun at least since you had the RPG part of it all with loot and skill trees and coop. The shooting was really bad, but I actually didn't mind that much. Looking very much forward to RAGE 2, but still have some doubts.

Avalanche made Just cause 2 aka best third person sandbox game ever. if any developer can make a fun open world game its avalanche. but they are not only one making it. id software is helping them. I even think Rage 1 was better than borderlands.

@Litchie said:

how long is it gonna take FPS devs to understand what was good about Half-Life(2)? I look forward to and will play the new one though, of course. The being much longer than the previous ones-part is promising.

GSC game world in 2007 understood what made Half life 2 good. and they made a game that was far and away better than Half life 2.

exactly what 4A games are doing. they are making Story driven game in Metro Exodus but with slice of STALKER and Half life. and game i expect to be better than Half life but not Stalker.

Metro 2033 and last light were 10-12 hour depending on difficulty but they are one of the most unique and atmospheric games. totally worth it.

my friend, if you think games under 10 hour donot worth. you probably never played Max payne 1 as the game was just 6 hour short but one of the most intense game ever made. a masterpiece. much better than any of 50 hour RPG. that was the game that prove me that quality is not equal to quanity.

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#21 Archangel3371
Member since 2004 • 44172 Posts

As much as I keep enjoying every generation and feel that gaming just keeps getting better I would consider the fourth generation my favourite. All of this due to my all time favourite system, the SNES. That system had so many amazing games on it, many of which are some of my all time favourite games. I also really enjoyed the Neo-Geo.

Sevenizz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Sevenizz
Member since 2010 • 6462 Posts

Gen 6. I played the hell out of my Xbox and it ushered in online gaming I didn’t know I wanted. The countless nights of playing Rainbow Six 3/Black Arrow, Halo 2 (and 1 via XB Connect), Ghost Recons, Burnout 3, Mech Assault, Splinter Cell, Tron, etc etc. XBL was the highlight of my gaming life to date.

I also owned a ps2 and GameCube during this gen but I barely ever turned my ps2 on and my GC was awesome for the big Nintendo games.

But yea, for me, Gen 6 ruled them all and it’s mostly because of Xbox!

Ibacai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Ibacai
Member since 2006 • 14459 Posts

The quality of games technically is unparalleled this gen, but that’s the case for every current gen. My favorite though would be 5th gen. I was 9 when it started and that’s when I really started to grasp the nuances and intricacies of gaming. It’s also home to some of my all-time favorite games.

The Legend of Zelda: Majora’s Mask

Xenogears

Final Fantasy IX

Star Wars: Shadows of the Empire

Suikoden 2

Breath of Fire 3

Front Mission 3

And yes, I’m not counting PC in this as gens don’t exist for PC. Nor am I listing some of the best PC games that came out then for the sake of brevity.

PAL360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

#24  Edited By PAL360
Member since 2007 • 30570 Posts

Current generation.

For nostalgic reasons, 16bit gen still feels the most magical for me, but games in general are much better now. AAAs are ridiculously polished and finally look like CGI movies, indies are bringing 2d gaming and the experomentation of early days back to relevance, VR finally works and it's amazing, we have more genres and sub-genres than ever before, more diversity, prices for all pockets, etc. All in all, current gen makes it difficult for me to enjoy most past generation 3d games.

There are some greedy practices, just like there always were, but the solution is as simple as ignoring those few companies and focus on everything else.

AsadMahdi59

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 AsadMahdi59
Member since 2005 • 7226 Posts

PS2/ XBOX/GC hands down.

Last gen is 2nd.

Coolyfett

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 36

#26  Edited By Coolyfett
Member since 2008 • 6276 Posts

@Pharoahogc1 said:

Now that 8th generation of consoles will be winding down in the next 2 years I ask you what was your favorite Generation and why?

Mine would have to be the 7th, I just feel so much innovation matched with good games cane out during that time that pushed the industry forward.

Is Wii U Gen 8 or an extention of Gen 7?

As a gamer that has been around since Gen 3 Coolyfett would have to say Gen 4 & 7 were really good. Only the Switch can save Gen 8. PS4 has owned Gen 8 so bad.

Coolyfett

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 36

#27 Coolyfett
Member since 2008 • 6276 Posts

@KBFloYd said:

the NES one. the 1st? 2nd?

when i first feel in love with gaming.

That is Gen 3 Floyd. NES, Sega Master System and Atari 2600

Avatar image for deactivated-60bf765068a74
deactivated-60bf765068a74

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 deactivated-60bf765068a74
Member since 2007 • 9558 Posts

Tie between SNES/PS1

DEVILinIRON

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 DEVILinIRON
Member since 2006 • 8772 Posts

My favorite is the Next Generation. Holodecks are freekin' sweet!

Avatar image for deactivated-5d1e44cf96229
deactivated-5d1e44cf96229

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By deactivated-5d1e44cf96229
Member since 2015 • 2814 Posts

The 5th generation is my favorite. I liked how incredibly different the N64 and PS1 were from each other; they each offered a completely different type of gaming experience than the other and that was a great thing that we sadly don't have in the modern era anymore. Given that this was the first 3D generation, there was also a lot of new types of games and experimentation happening which made it an exciting time. And lastly, playing four-player multiplayer games on the N64 after school created many cherished memories.

Jag85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 219

#32 Jag85
Member since 2005 • 19546 Posts

Gen 5. It was the most exciting time to be a gamer, living the 3D revolution. 2D gaming also peaked in this era IMO, with the Saturn and PS1 having a ton of quality 2D games along with the 3D stuff.

SecretPolice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By SecretPolice
Member since 2007 • 44066 Posts

My generation. lol

Loving this gen with stuff like BC and Gamepass plus of course, Mighty MonsterBox. :P

jun_aka_pekto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By jun_aka_pekto
Member since 2010 • 25255 Posts

@ghosts4ever said:

Who cares if it has console sympton? it run and play much better on PC and played like any of PC FPS. I found it better than many of PC oriented FPS like Crysis which i find excellent but Doom surpassed it. because Crysis play like a console shooter with ironsight and regen health.

C'mon, even the STALKER games have iron sights and health regeneration (through artifacts).

I don't know why iron sights should be regarded as consolized. Looking through iron sights is what most people do when firing guns in real life. The ARMA games have iron sights and I don't think anyone here would regard them as console games.

Doom is an arcade FPS in the same class as Hard Reset and Serious Sam.