What if Electronic Arts made a console?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

JetLagz28

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 JetLagz28
Member since 2004 • 646 Posts

They already did in the early 90's (a large partner) in developing the the 3DO. That system fizzled out but it stands as an example to show that EA has done more than publish software and might retry in the future. So let's assume for the sake of argument that EA does release a console in the Fall of 2010 or 2011. I would infer that EA titles would be exclusive to the console and would not be multiplatform as they are today.

What do you think the impact would be? Think of the franchises that EA owns. The genres they own. They own more licenses than any other 3rd party. It's very impressive. How would it do against competition like Sony, Microsoft and Nintendo?

famicommander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 famicommander
Member since 2008 • 8524 Posts
EA did not "make" the 3DO. They published a lot of games for it, but they didn't stop publishing for other consoles either.
st1ka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 st1ka
Member since 2008 • 8179 Posts

if EA created a console all hell would break loose, the only NFL simulator exclusive to that console? that secures the US market, fifa as an exclusive? is a strong point for the European market. The Sims, Bioware and Westwood? it would lure PC gamers in. The take two bought including the GTA franchise as an exclusive? More support from NA, Europe, and even a little from Japan their 25% shares on Ubisoft? that would ensure a strong third party support from ubisoft.

EA has nothing on Japan, but if they wanted they could take Europe and US by storm

Mr_Apple_Soup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#4 Mr_Apple_Soup
Member since 2006 • 3580 Posts

it would be full of casual games, killing their sports game sales and would have no 3rd party support because who would want to develop for a 3rd party developer?

one could imagine it would be cheap and have great physics/graphics, but it would destroy gaming

st1ka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 st1ka

because who would want to develop for a 3rd party developer?

Mr_Apple_Soup

right because sega, nintendo, sony and microsoft were never third party :roll:

it would be full of casual games

Mr_Apple_Soup

you do know thats what made them rich in the first place? :|

their sports games

Mr_Apple_Soup

this is their trump card (well that and Sims)

Avatar image for matallicthewolf
matallicthewolf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 matallicthewolf
Member since 2004 • 815 Posts

If that happens, when will it end. Until every gaming franchise is bought. Pretty soon you'll hear bungie was bought by EA. EA is an evil corporation and must be stopped.

R.I.P. 2K Sports, you would have made it.

sakura_Ex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 sakura_Ex
Member since 2007 • 3066 Posts
No thanks.
thefjk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#8 thefjk
Member since 2003 • 4324 Posts
That will be good for us. Get rid of all crappy EA titles and we might actually have some good games left... yeah I know Bioshock, Madden etc are good but that's just a couple games!
Mr_Apple_Soup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Mr_Apple_Soup
[QUOTE="Mr_Apple_Soup"]

because who would want to develop for a 3rd party developer?

st1ka

right because sega, nintendo, sony and microsoft were never third party :roll:

it would be full of casual games

Mr_Apple_Soup

you do know thats what made them rich in the first place? :|

their sports games

Mr_Apple_Soup

this is their trump card (well that and Sims)

when was nintendo a third party dev? and a system full of games without challenge is insulting...

this age of online gaming is upon us full force though, so something like this is invevitable

MoldOnHold

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#10 MoldOnHold
Member since 2005 • 11760 Posts

The console would do beastly, since EA is pretty much the largest third-party powerhouse in the industry.

Consequently, Microsoft and Sony would be taking huge hits. Nintendo....not so much.

Kirlok

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Kirlok
Member since 2008 • 2061 Posts
considering they are buying alot of awsome developers, it willbe like world war 3
Gta3-fan334

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#12 Gta3-fan334
Member since 2004 • 1499 Posts
It would be like microsoft's :(
st1ka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 st1ka

when was nintendo a third party dev?

Mr_Apple_Soup

and a system full of games without challenge is insulting... Mr_Apple_Soup

care to explain to me the sucess of Wii sports, or the sims then? casuals are the future of gaming you know

Kirlok

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Kirlok
Member since 2008 • 2061 Posts
[QUOTE="Mr_Apple_Soup"]

st1ka

care to explain to me the sucess of Wii sports, or the sims then? casuals are the future of gaming you know

yeah meanwhile the casuals (aka as the future) will be fed up with shovelware and 'blues clues' easy games, while the hardcores (aka as the present) can go to hell, thank you nintendo

Mr_Apple_Soup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Mr_Apple_Soup
[QUOTE="Mr_Apple_Soup"]

st1ka

thats why things are nice the way they are, all the systems have a good balance of games appealing to both markets....if EA made a system it would tear the industry apart

st1ka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 st1ka
[QUOTE="st1ka"][QUOTE="Mr_Apple_Soup"]

Kirlok

yeah meanwhile the casuals (aka as the future) will be fed up with shovelware and 'blues clues' easy games, while the hardcores (aka as the present) can go to hell, thank you nintendo

who knows? i have a theory of my own, that if the casual market grows too much we may see a videogame crash in 10 or 20 years or so since companys will obviously try to profit from this, but thats just my theory

Pietrooper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Pietrooper
Member since 2008 • 1549 Posts

They would rock!

BioWare, Westwood and a ton of other things! They need full USB/Mouse compatbility so they can have all their PC games on it, it would kill the gaming industry in one fell swoop and turn it into the EA industry!

How awesome would that be? We'd no longer have System Wars but EA Wars argueing over different studios.

And life, life would be simple.

Avatar image for GunSmith1_basic
GunSmith1_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 21

#18 GunSmith1_basic
Member since 2002 • 10548 Posts
the difference with nintendo moving from third party dev to console manufacturer is that even while they were a third party developer they made hardware of some type. They made those game and watches, and I believe they made arcade machines (not sure on that last bit). Asking EA to make a console would be like asking capcom to do it. Plus, it would mean that they would lose all those sports licenses since the only reason they have so much support from pro sports leagues is because they are supposed to release the games cross platform.
Pietrooper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Pietrooper
Member since 2008 • 1549 Posts

the difference with nintendo moving from third party dev to console manufacturer is that even while they were a third party developer they made hardware of some type. They made those game and watches, and I believe they made arcade machines (not sure on that last bit). Asking EA to make a console would be like asking capcom to do it. Plus, it would mean that they would lose all those sports licenses since the only reason they have so much support from pro sports leagues is because they are supposed to release the games cross platform. GunSmith1_basic

If they released their own platform, it would be sucessful and I'm sure the pro-sports leagues would support them.

st1ka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 st1ka

the difference with nintendo moving from third party dev to console manufacturer is that even while they were a third party developer they made hardware of some type. They made those game and watches, and I believe they made arcade machines (not sure on that last bit). Asking EA to make a console would be like asking capcom to do it. Plus, it would mean that they would lose all those sports licenses since the only reason they have so much support from pro sports leagues is because they are supposed to release the games cross platform. GunSmith1_basic

just because nintendo created those game and watches doesnt mean they werent third party devs, capcom also made arcade games, but they always were a third party dev

Dr_Corndog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#21 Dr_Corndog
Member since 2004 • 3245 Posts
Like I said before, if EA made a console it would be good for exactly one year, at which point they would stop making games for it and release their new console, which would be exactly the same but with an additional 5 MBs of storage space and an extra LED on the front.
nw030

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 nw030
Member since 2006 • 401 Posts

they would probably lose money in the long run, as most of their games sell on all consoles.

laughingman42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 laughingman42
Member since 2007 • 8730 Posts
I would be scared of what would happen to the market. It would probbably oversaturate the market and drive MS out. Then I think that it might fail.