What if Destiny flops?

• 93 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for StrongBlackVine
StrongBlackVine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#51 StrongBlackVine
Member since 2012 • 13262 Posts
@jun_aka_pekto said:

Does this game have a SP campaign?

It has a story campaign that can be played alone or with 2 friends.

jun_aka_pekto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#52 jun_aka_pekto
Member since 2010 • 25255 Posts

@StrongBlackVine said:
@jun_aka_pekto said:

Does this game have a SP campaign?

It has a story campaign that can be played alone or with 2 friends.

Cool. The singleplayer will do just fine.

silversix_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#53  Edited By silversix_
Member since 2010 • 26347 Posts

Looks like this will be the first mmo without a trading system. no1's gonna give you op shit a la Borderlands 2. Everything you have is what you've grinded on your own and that's pretty nice.

Bruin1986

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#54 Bruin1986
Member since 2007 • 1629 Posts

@hippiesanta said:

Looks a bit too cartoony to me with lot's of jerky movement .... does it have a campaign?

I only play campaign .......

or focus more on multiplayer ...??

which does not interest me .

and I always hate character with HELMET ...... helmet is one of the reason developer lazy using face motion capture or facial expression

even if it flop ...... FPS is not my priority ....

I care more about TPS ... like uncharted... max payne ... resident evil kind of shooter

The characters have helmets because in Destiny, just as in real life, if someone is shooting at you...it's a good idea to have a helmet on...

lol

Jebus213

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#56 Jebus213
Member since 2010 • 10056 Posts

Their are way too many hype-train riders for this game to fail outright.

Avatar image for EducatingU_PCMR
EducatingU_PCMR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#57 EducatingU_PCMR
Member since 2013 • 1581 Posts

$500M, enough to pay the big reviewers, so no, it won't flop.

Dom_Hawk_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#58  Edited By Dom_Hawk_basic
Member since 2002 • 411 Posts

@SecretPolice:

If I don't see more story and more cowbell the game will not rock for me.

OhSnapitz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#59 OhSnapitz
Member since 2002 • 19282 Posts

Even though I still plan on getting it (eventually).. E3 2014 killed my hype for this game.

It looks no different than other MMO's out there.. run.. horde.. gun.. repeat.

I need to see more.

funkmaster1233

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#60  Edited By funkmaster1233
Member since 2014 • 706 Posts

@SecretPolice said:

Nah, Bungie's near bulletproof man, the game will rock. :P

Ever played Halo: Reach? They succesfully killed their own franchise but thankfully 343 actually seem to want to bring back the millions of fans that Bungie lost. I've only watched around an hour of Destiny's multiplayer so I haven't played it (not like I need to) but it does not look good at all if you're a fan of arena styled competitive multiplayer

eNT1TY

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#61 eNT1TY
Member since 2005 • 1319 Posts

If it's a GS "flop" then nothing happens aside from some lulz/tears. If it's a real world flop (as in not selling enough to cover the dev+administrative+marketing+manufacturing/logistic costs) then it could possibly end or seriously compromise Bungie

Avatar image for StrongBlackVine
StrongBlackVine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#62  Edited By StrongBlackVine
Member since 2012 • 13262 Posts

Shotty is hoping it will flop because Destiny PS4 bundles are gonna be flying off the shelves. Sad that lems have to resort to hoping multiplats will fail to avoid Xflop falling even further behind.

withe1982

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#63 withe1982
Member since 2005 • 450 Posts

Played the Alpha and I can safely say the whatever the review scored may be Destiny is going to me massive. Such a beautiful game as well and ridiculously fun to play. I had an absolute blast with it. In fact I'm absolutely gutted the alpha is over and cannot wait until the beta launches.

It has both single player, team-play and multiplayer elements. If you don't like multiplayer then then you can just ignore it however IMO you'll be missing out on some great matches. There's free roam, story missions (both offline) then (online only) team strikes, raids then the multiplayer PVP. With such a wide variety of game modes it should really appeal to everyone.

I'd give it 7/10 so far based solely on the small slice the alpha provided. It's got a long way to go and need a fair few tweaks but it's certainly peaked my interest.

SecretPolice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#64 SecretPolice
Member since 2007 • 44222 Posts

@funkmaster1233 said:

@SecretPolice said:

Ever played Halo: Reach? They succesfully killed their own franchise but thankfully 343 actually seem to want to bring back the millions of fans that Bungie lost. I've only watched around an hour of Destiny's multiplayer so I haven't played it (not like I need to) but it does not look good at all if you're a fan of arena styled competitive multiplayer

Tehe, he don't know me very well do he.... I've played all Halos many, many times and in fact I think Reach was pretty good as did pro reviewers as well. Reach is the Only FPS to have player controlled surface, air & space vehicles and I think I rank it above Halo 4 too. :P

funkmaster1233

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#65  Edited By funkmaster1233
Member since 2014 • 706 Posts

@SecretPolice said:

@funkmaster1233 said:

@SecretPolice said:

Tehe, he don't know me very well do he.... I've played all Halos many, many times and in fact I think Reach was pretty good as did pro reviewers as well. Reach is the Only FPS to have player controlled surface, air & space vehicles and I think I rank it above Halo 4 too. :P

I've played all the Halo's too (got maximum gamerscore/achievements/awards on all) but my favourite part of Halo was the competitive ranking and level playing field so I guess that's why I prefer Halo 1, 2 and 3. Looking forward to 5 as 343 admitted that 4 was a failiure

SecretPolice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#66 SecretPolice
Member since 2007 • 44222 Posts

@funkmaster1233 said:

@SecretPolice said:

@funkmaster1233 said:

@SecretPolice said:

I've played all the Halo's too (got maximum gamerscore/achievements/awards on all) but my favourite part of Halo was the competitive ranking so I guess that's why I prefer Halo 1, 2 and 3. Looking forward to 5 as 343 admitted that 4 was a failiure

Oh cool man, Umm, I think Halo 3 was the best Halo the past gen but all in all, I still put Halo CEA on top. Halo 5 I think will be a masterpiece and may finally be the Halo that kicks CE from the top spot... fingers crossed. :)

FoxbatAlpha

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#67 FoxbatAlpha
Member since 2009 • 10669 Posts

I seriously doubt it will flop. Will it make all that $500 million back? That is going to be tough.

IF it does flop, I doubt Bungie will be handed any projects soon.

LustForSoul

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#68 LustForSoul
Member since 2011 • 6404 Posts

The budget is way too high to flop. Millions and millions are going to marketing as well. The game will be a commercial success, I don't know about profit though. Tomb Raider didn't get any profit until they sold like 6m units.

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#69 foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts
@vashkey said:

At least until they screw up Halo harder than Reach

Reach is an amazing game and Bungie's best.

onewiththegame

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#70 onewiththegame
Member since 2004 • 4415 Posts

After playing the alpha I have full faith in Bungie

musicalmac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 1

#71 musicalmac  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 25098 Posts

The only thing that makes me sad about Destiny is its absence on computers. I want Bungie to come home.

Heil68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#72  Edited By Heil68
Member since 2004 • 60721 Posts

@musicalmac said:

The only thing that makes me sad about Destiny is its absence on computers. I want Bungie to come home.

They know where the REAL money is at. :D

musicalmac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#73 musicalmac  Moderator

@Heil68 said:

@musicalmac said:

They should have made Destiny for iOS. ;)

Heil68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#74  Edited By Heil68

@musicalmac said:

@Heil68 said:

@musicalmac said:

musicalmac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#75  Edited By musicalmac  Moderator

@Heil68 said:

@musicalmac said:

@Heil68 said:

@musicalmac said:

Heil68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#76  Edited By Heil68

@musicalmac said:

@Heil68 said:

@musicalmac said:

@Heil68 said:

@musicalmac said:

Jolly good!

vashkey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 135

User Lists: 25

#77 vashkey
Member since 2005 • 33781 Posts

@foxhound_fox said:
@vashkey said:

I dare you to say that on any Halo message board. The only core Halo game disliked more than Reach is 4

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#78 foxhound_fox

@vashkey said:

@foxhound_fox said:
@vashkey said:

I dare you to say that on any Halo message board. The only core Halo game disliked more than Reach is 4

Then they really can't be true Halo fans.

Liquid_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#79 Liquid_
Member since 2003 • 3832 Posts

of course it will flop. its not on PC

Avatar image for deactivated-5e90a3763ea91
deactivated-5e90a3763ea91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 13

#80  Edited By deactivated-5e90a3763ea91
Member since 2008 • 9437 Posts

I doubt the game will 'flop', but I do think it has been highly overrated for the past year or longer.

I don't think Destiny is really going to reach the same heights as Halo, anyway. I don't know if the strong fan interest is really there.

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#81  Edited By lamprey263
Member since 2006 • 44643 Posts

Flop how? Critically or commercially? Commercially is what I think matters more considering Activision is putting $500 million into developing and promoting this game. So some basic math, $500 million divided by $60 a copy means 8.33 million copies to break even... there's still retailer cut, money has to be paid out to Sony and MS for developing on their system, and production and shipping costs... let's just say 10 million before it breaks even. Now, considering it's on the Xbox 360, PS3, Xbox One, and PS4, I think they can hit that target rather easily. Also consider that the game is releasing in September, and all the best stuff from this year's E3 are mostly 2015 releases, I think Destiny has a great amount of factors in its favor, for instance there's plenty of platforms to profit from, and in a launch window with very little competition, and it's leading into the holiday shopping season. I think they can break even on it easily, and hell might even surpass that. Even if critically it's only so-so, I think with the current slim pickings in gaming it's going to perform well regardless.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#82 deactivated-5e90a3763ea91

@foxhound_fox said:

@vashkey said:

@foxhound_fox said:
@vashkey said:

I get sick of this Halo elitist bullshit. I liked all of the Halo games just fine. People just complain about everything, and expect everyone to agree with them 110%.

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#83 foxhound_fox

@Ovirew said:

@foxhound_fox said:

@vashkey said:

@foxhound_fox said:
@vashkey said:

I get sick of this Halo elitist bullshit. I liked all of the Halo games just fine. People just complain about everything, and expect everyone to agree with them 110%.

I personally think anyone who cites CE, 2 or 3 as the "best" Halo game is not a true Halo fan. I got into the series *very* late (summer 2012) and was a quote-unquote "hater" for quite some period of time, not giving the games a real chance... but ODST and Reach are easily the two best games in the Bungie offerings. CE is amazing. 2 is excellent. 3 is great.

They're all great games (I haven't played enough 4 to really form an opinion, I quit about halfway through the campaign and only about 30 hours of MP when it first came out) and anyone who doesn't think as such is an idiot. I'm really glad they are getting some love from Microsoft and all (1-4) being relaunched with full MP on the Xbox One. I'd love to see ODST and Reach in that package, but beggars can't be choosers I guess (and Reach still has a very active MP community IIRC).

I own CEA, ODST, Reach and 4 (borrowed 2 and 3) but would easily rebuy the Master Chief Collection if I owned a Bone. I just hope Reach and especially ODST see some kind of revival there as well.

vashkey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 135

User Lists: 25

#84  Edited By vashkey
Member since 2005 • 33781 Posts

@foxhound_fox said:

@Ovirew said:

@foxhound_fox said:

@vashkey said:

@foxhound_fox said:
@vashkey said:

I personally think anyone who cites CE, 2 or 3 as the "best" Halo game is not a true Halo fan. I got into the series *very* late (summer 2012) and was a quote-unquote "hater" for quite some period of time, not giving the games a real chance... but ODST and Reach are easily the two best games in the Bungie offerings. CE is amazing. 2 is excellent. 3 is great.

They're all great games (I haven't played enough 4 to really form an opinion, I quit about halfway through the campaign and only about 30 hours of MP when it first came out) and anyone who doesn't think as such is an idiot. I'm really glad they are getting some love from Microsoft and all (1-4) being relaunched with full MP on the Xbox One. I'd love to see ODST and Reach in that package, but beggars can't be choosers I guess (and Reach still has a very active MP community IIRC).

I own CEA, ODST, Reach and 4 (borrowed 2 and 3) but would easily rebuy the Master Chief Collection if I owned a Bone. I just hope Reach and especially ODST see some kind of revival there as well.

There is no such thing as a "true" Halo fan, you guys are being ridiculous. But there are pretty good reasons why people think Halo Reach and 4 screwed up.

for Reach armor abilities weren't well balanced and bloom was a good idea that was poorly executed. Armor lock was basically a pause button for combat and there's absolutely no downside to using it. You were invincible but stationary for a few seconds. In that time your shields are actually allowed to recharge. Armor lock also sent out an emp and the longer the player was in armor lock the bigger the emp was going to be so when dealing with a player using armor lock you have to keep your distance.

On top of all this if a vehicle collides a player that is using armor lock the vehicle is usually destroyed which was a detriment to big team battle where vehicles were already much easier to destroy compared to previous Halo titles thanks to the altered vehicle health system.

Now that I've covered the basic benefits of armor lock let me just run you through a common combat scenario with a one on one fight with an armor locked player.

Let's say an non armor locked player is in a gun fight with an armor locked player. The non armor locked player is winning so the armor locked player uses armor lock. The non armor locked player has a few choices. They can sit and wait. In the very best case scenario the other player immediately used after receiving damage and so their shield have not quite yet recharged. But in many other cases another enemy player will come in and the non armor locked player will then have to deal with more enemies.

When the player is waiting for the armor locked player to leave armor lock they have to pay attention to their surroundings because that's like a whole five seconds they can get ambushed. But the enemy player can leave armor lock any time they like before their energy runs out so if the non armor locked player tries to leave or look around the armor locked player can pop out and try to finish off their enemy when their attention is elsewhere .

So in many cases the better player is punished for engaging in combat with a player using armor lock.

As for bloom, the idea was to involve more skill in shooting but in the way it was executed it makes shooting inconsistent. Bloom most strongly effects the DMR which is the primary weapon used in Halo Reach. With the DMR the first shot will be pinpoint accurate and following consecutive shots will be less accurate when fired in close succession. As the player continues to fire the cross hairs expand to express that the bullet can land any where within the cross hair's area.

With this in mind in close and mid range combat the best strategy is to shoot as quickly as possible and landing body shots since a shot does the same amount of damage to a shielded player regardless of hit location. so long as a significant portion of the cross hairs cover the player's body then the bullets will hit. On paper you would think that at the last shot at the farther mid ranges you should wait a split second or for bloom to recover so you can land the last shot as a head shot for the kill but if you keep shooting often times a player will get lucky and get a head shot even with full bloom.

This is bad for competitive play. At this point luck decides who wins when it should be skill, but due to the inconsistent nature of bloom the player can't predict where the bullets will land and there isn't a best choice. If you choose to wait for bloom to recover for an accurate headshot the other player can get luck and headshot you if they don't wait for their bloom to recover, there's no way of knowing how it will go down until the fight is over.

And those are just the big reasons why Halo: Reach was a step down from it's predecessors. Most fans would agree that Reach at the time had the worst map line up of the series, at this point only rivaled by Halo 4(Theres a reason that Hemorrhage and Ragnarok are almost always voted for when they show up, guys) and the campaign was content with revising the same sort of set pieces and level concepts previous Halo games did, save for Long Night of Solace.

I played far less of Halo 4 than I did of Reach I'm not going to be able to go as in depth with it as I did Reach. But the biggest flaw with Halo 4 was that it basically threw in the towel and admitted defeat and conceded to the CoD gameplay style. The most significant changes Halo 4 brought to Halo was stuff that CoD is known for. Sprint as a base ability, kill streaks, custom load outs and perks.

Aside from that Halo 4 completely blew it's chance to try something really different with it's single player with the new setting and enemy faction. Instead we got a pretty standard Halo campaign with the same of stuff we've been playing for years, the new enemies we're very different from the covenant and the covenant were back.

And Spartan ops? What a complete disaster. The story cutscenes felt so disjointed and unrelated to the actual gameplay missions and most missions were just fighting off waves of over powered enemies that kept spawning in and pressing buttons. There was infinite spawns so there was absolutely no tension and it felt like 343 used the infinite spawns as an excuse to haphazardly drop in tons enemies without any thought to enemy placement.

I might sound harsh but I actually think Halo 4 and Reach are good games. But their disappointing Halo games and if you've closely followed the series from the beginning you likely agree with my sentiments or at the very least understand my(as well many other long time Halo fans') position.

It's not baseless and other fans might take it to a different extreme than I do, but there are some very legitimate criticism to be made against Halo Reach and Halo 4

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#85  Edited By foxhound_fox

Holy wall of text Batman.

silversix_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#86 silversix_
Member since 2010 • 26347 Posts

One thing for sure is that Destiny will shit over Borderlands Prequel sooooooo bad this year. Its this year that Gearbox will learn to step up their shit and stop recycling Borderlands with absolutely nothing new.

Audacitron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#87 Audacitron
Member since 2012 • 991 Posts

@LustForSoul said:

The budget is way too high to flop. Millions and millions are going to marketing as well. The game will be a commercial success, I don't know about profit though. Tomb Raider didn't get any profit until they sold like 6m units.

don't you have to at least turn a profit to be considered a commercial success?

The game has flop written all over it. Its destiny is to flop. The hype train will ensure it sells a lot, and the money train will buy the best reviews, but it won't be enough.

LustForSoul

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#88  Edited By LustForSoul
Member since 2011 • 6404 Posts

@Audacitron said:

@LustForSoul said:

don't you have to at least turn a profit to be considered a commercial success?

The game has flop written all over it. Its destiny is to flop. The hype train will ensure it sells a lot, and the money train will buy the best reviews, but it won't be enough.

Yeah, I suppose I should've said it's going to be a big release, sell millions and might be short in sales to be considered a commercial success. (no sarcasm) Halo was a first of its kind and got mad hype to carry the whole franchise. This game is not.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#89 deactivated-5e90a3763ea91

@vashkey:

Hey Vash, thanks for responding.

I guess from a gameplay perspective you make some really good points about why people may not like Reach and 4 as well as some of the other games in the series. I remember clear back when I was in the Reach beta, even then players complained about bloom and armor lock. Maybe those things didn't bother me as much since I was never this really competitive online player. I guess I always chalked it up to the idea that, if one player is truly more skilled than another, they have the same tools at their disposal as everyone else and will still win more frequently with their craftiness.

I remember I liked the Halo 3 BR a lot more than the Halo Reach DMR. It was more precise, more well-rounded. I guess the DMR had some of its own strengths, but perhaps people wouldn't have complained as much if it weren't the primary BR weapon in the game. I guess the DMR reminded me a bit of a cross between the assault rifle and battle rifle, now that I think about it that sounds somewhat accurate. Maybe that's what they were going for?

I got into Halo... in very late 2008, or maybe it was the early months of 2009. At that time, I mostly played Halo 3, and the original Halo CE. It took me a while to really 'get' Halo, but once I did I became a pretty big fan. I remember right when I first expressed interest in Halo, a lot of people already complained about the series and said it needed to die after 3 games. Some people were purists and thought the series just went downhill from CE, others thought Halo 2 had superior multiplayer, it seemed like few people had positive things to say about Halo 3 - though I thought it was fine.

This pattern continued with every. single. Halo. game. that came out ever. Halo Wars. A shit ton of people called it crap, "It wasn't Halo", it was a "Poor excuse for an RTS". I really didn't think it was nearly that bad, in fact it wasn't bad for a console RTS - I actually thought it was a lot better than the Command & Conquer games on the 360, from what I played. ODST came out late 2009. Lots of people were unhappy with ODST - "It's short!" "There's no Master Chief so it can't be Halo!" "No matchmaking, no new multiplayer!" Loved it, thought firefight was awesome and had some of my best moments on LIVE with complete strangers working to get achievements. Thought the style and concept were great. Reach - "No, load-outs suck!" "No Master Chief!" "It took liberties with the story!" "Bloom & armor lock!" "Worst Halo ever!" It just continued to and continues to happen.

One funny thing I noticed, as time went on and newer games came out, the general negative consensus about earlier games that people were unhappy with changed and they began to praise them and prefer them over the newest games.

It just seems to me that with Halo, you will never please every single fan. Halo means something different to everyone. But mostly, I think a lot of them are just stubborn and look for the negatives in stuff over all of the positives.

AdrianWerner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#90 AdrianWerner
Member since 2003 • 28441 Posts

If it does it will be biggest flop in history of this industry

poptart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#91  Edited By poptart
Member since 2003 • 7298 Posts

Interesting question - Halo made it's mark being both a launch title and a significant player in a then uncrowded console FPS market and has cashed in on the brand ever since.

A new venture in a different market won't necessarily equate to commercial success and I've a sneaking suspicion the setting may not resonate with the mainstream as much as the likes of COD irrespective of the marketing budget they pump into it. Time will tell though - first off let's hope the game is decent because Bungie's finest single player campaign was - let's face it - 12 years ago. This does not bode particularly well. Standards have gone up and can they catch up? We shall see............

aroxx_ab

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#93 aroxx_ab
Member since 2005 • 13236 Posts

If the game flops in sales i dont think it will come to PC

Avatar image for YearoftheSnake5
YearoftheSnake5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 55

#94 YearoftheSnake5
Member since 2005 • 9716 Posts

If it flops, people will be asshurt on here for a day or two and move on; eventually realizing that their enjoyment with the game is more important than some arbitrary number.