What I have learned from the Rating system

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Halo-Master12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

User Lists: 0

#1 Halo-Master12
Member since 2008 • 25 Posts

What I have learned from Gamespot's rating system is really they compost most of thier ratings between 7-9.5. You rarely see below a 6 in ratings, especially with console games. It really needs to be more balanced and use the 1-10 system, because we see today as a 7-8 as a stay away from game, 8-8.5 game buy at your own risk 8.6-9 a Good Game anda 9.1-10 a Superb game, and that needs to change, be more specific on why you hate those certain things and get things actually below 7 or 8. No reason to give them so much credit when the bottom line the game sucks. This is what I would do for the scoring system

10 Masterpiece, all people should buy

9.5-9.9 Almost Masterpiece, Almost all should buy

9.1-9.5 Superb Game, Most should buy, with some exceptions.

8-9 A Great Game, Most should buy, with some more exceptions

7-8 A Good Game, A lot should buy, based on preferences

6-7 An Average Game, A good amount should buy, depending on categories

5-6 A Sub-Average Game, A decent Amount should buy, depending on categories

4-5 A Below-Average Game,some should buy, depending on more strict categories

3-4 A Pretty Poor Game, A small amount should buy, with alot of flaws to be point out

2-3 A Poor Game, Barely anyone should buy

1-2 Terrible Game, Dont buy

And use it more efficently, dont afraid to be picky on the top games, notice the flaws and really warn the buyer into what there getting into. Like for example a 9 shouldn't have been given to Black Ops, glitches were all too easy and story line was dull, and really had made no sense except for the constant talking about numbers. And a little too slow for speed. It should be given a 7. A Good Game that alot should buy, based on FPS and In-depth Storyline. Am I the only one who feels that they should change the rating system, and make it more balanced? Maybe not this, but something along those lines?

St_muscat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#2 St_muscat
Member since 2007 • 4315 Posts

What I got from your comment TC is that you can copy and paste GS' explanation of their rating system and that you don't like Black Ops (how original). It's not GS' fault that they generally try to only review good games because they are lacking on staff, do you really want them to review every game that comes out, good and bad and be forced to wait weeks for them to do a Dead Space 2 review after its been released? Personally I'd rather the review on time and have all those 2.0 and 3.0 games unreviewed.

funsohng

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3 funsohng
Member since 2005 • 29976 Posts
Black Ops story was actually not bad It actually made sense and it was like 100x better than MW2 which was horrible and didn't make sense. Your opinion about the game is obviously different from GS's point of view, so are the standards and the criteria for grading the game, therefore making second half of your OP irrelevant and invalid. However, I do agree with your first part of OP, and it is the case for a lot of grading systems, such as you know, academic scale. And no, I don't think they should change their rating system. In fact, their rating system has almost nothing to do with this supposed overrating.
alextherussian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 alextherussian
Member since 2009 • 2642 Posts
I think Black Ops well deserved its score. It was a fun game that actually got me my moneys worth, something I cant say for Alan Wake, Super Mario Galaxy or God of War 3.
funsohng

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 funsohng
I think Black Ops well deserved its score. It was a fun game that actually got me my moneys worth, something I cant say for Alan Wake, Super Mario Galaxy or God of War 3. alextherussian
:o I hope that SMG in your post is my imagination conjured up by me being partially drunk.
alextherussian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 alextherussian
[QUOTE="alextherussian"]I think Black Ops well deserved its score. It was a fun game that actually got me my moneys worth, something I cant say for Alan Wake, Super Mario Galaxy or God of War 3. funsohng
:o I hope that SMG in your post is my imagination conjured up by me being partially drunk.

Just want to make sure all my bases are covered. I did not enjoy SMG (only played the 1st) for longer then a few hours before turning it off and not wanting to turn it back on again. Alan Wake was fun while it lasted but I have no desire to replay and I felt I was pulling myself out of some duty to my enjoyment of the past titles through the last hours of the title. With Black Ops, TF2 and SC2 for instance I have so much replay value that I feel my money is well spent and while I may not want to go and redo the single players (in the case of BO I have not even finished the SP and TF2 does not have one) the multiplayer have provided me with many many many hours of fun.

If anything to me what is wrong with the scoring system is that it does not accurately reflect the time enjoyment that a game can provide. If I am going to watch a movie and will pay $12 my time commitment is pretty much always going to be in and around 2hrs. There is no such consistency with games.

On a side note partially drunk is slang for not drunk enough.
funsohng

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 funsohng
On a side note partially drunk is slang for not drunk enough.alextherussian
We are out of drinks.
alextherussian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 alextherussian
[QUOTE="alextherussian"]On a side note partially drunk is slang for not drunk enough.funsohng
We are out of drinks.

I am truly sorry
Avatar image for Raymundo_Manuel
Raymundo_Manuel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Raymundo_Manuel
Member since 2010 • 4641 Posts

It's not that the system is flawed, but rather the fact that the people who view those numbers are just stupid :)

Because to Gamespot their rating system means pretty much exactly what you think it should mean. Only to System Warriors can a game get an 8.5, and people all of a sudden shouldn't waste their money on it, and if it gets below an 8 then forget about ever even playing that game.

funsohng

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 funsohng
[QUOTE="funsohng"][QUOTE="alextherussian"]On a side note partially drunk is slang for not drunk enough.alextherussian
We are out of drinks.

I am truly sorry

Don't worry, it's just pre-New Year's Eve thing We are getting the real thing tonight
jedikevin2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

#11 jedikevin2
Member since 2004 • 5263 Posts
What I learned from gamespot rating system: Reviews are narrow, generalized, lacking deep content and critique of a game. Add in scores don't matter outside of fanboy wars when folks use it to flame against those they don't like.
IceBlazerX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#12 IceBlazerX
Member since 2010 • 3286 Posts

What I got from your comment TC is that you can copy and paste GS' explanation of their rating system and that you don't like Black Ops (how original). It's not GS' fault that they generally try to only review good games because they are lacking on staff, do you really want them to review every game that comes out, good and bad and be forced to wait weeks for them to do a Dead Space 2 review after its been released? Personally I'd rather the review on time and have all those 2.0 and 3.0 games unreviewed.

St_muscat
This. I don't see any point to this. :(
Everiez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Everiez
Member since 2006 • 1946 Posts

*Put on System Wars google*. No, this is all wrong:

10 golden ammo to change tide of war.

9.0 - 9.5 normal ammo to hold base camp.

8.0 - 8.5 damage control plan.

6 - 7.5 not worth to mention.

1-5? These game doesn't exist.