What has a wider gap in graphical power, wii to ps3 or ps3 to high end pc?

• 119 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

caribo2222

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#1 caribo2222
Member since 2006 • 1181 Posts

Thats a tough question but lets look at the games, feel free to add more game comparisons.

Call of duty black ops

wii

Image 24

Image 26

Image 15

Image 14

Image 13

ps3

Image 3

Image 4

Image 7

Image 9

pc

Image 3

Image 7

Image 8

Image 9

dog_dirt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 dog_dirt
Member since 2009 • 2813 Posts

depends on the PC

Hahadouken

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#3 Hahadouken
Member since 2009 • 5546 Posts
I'd say Wii to PS3 (consoles in general). A high-end PC's advantage over a console is huge, but the bump from 480p resolution to at least 720 is dramatic. I've seen plenty of console games that at least look like they are in the high-end PC ballpark, due to some fancy tricks, but I haven't seen any Wii game that comes close to the best-looking console games. Lack of HD is just a huge glaring obvious detriment.
caribo2222

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 caribo2222
Member since 2006 • 1181 Posts

depends on the PC

dog_dirt

High end pc

Kinthalis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Kinthalis
Member since 2002 • 5503 Posts

Well the TC stipulates a modern high end PC in the title.

With that mind I would say the real world difference, in terms of actual games and NOT just raw power (in which case the PC would win out), is about the same.

That is, the gap between Wii and PS3, is about on par as the gap between PS3 and modern high end PC.

What can be done on the PC - High AA & AF, High resolution (1080p +), High rez textures and texture effects, modern and expensive lighting, shadowing and post-processing effects, high tessellation, High quality physics, high performance (60 fps+), etc - CANNOT be done on the PS3 to the extent that it can be done on PC, or more importantly, all at the same time.

And the same goes for the PS3 vs the Wiii.

Kinthalis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Kinthalis

I'd say Wii to PS3 (consoles in general). A high-end PC's advantage over a console is huge, but the bump from 480p resolution to at least 720 is dramatic. I've seen plenty of console games that at least look like they are in the high-end PC ballpark, due to some fancy tricks, but I haven't seen any Wii game that comes close to the best-looking console games. Lack of HD is just a huge glaring obvious detriment.Hahadouken

The difference between 480p and 720p is LESS than the difference between 720p and 1080p (and PC's can go higher than than 1080p) in both technical and aesthetic terms.

hexashadow13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 hexashadow13
Member since 2010 • 5157 Posts
About the same.
Avatar image for deactivated-635525971e920
deactivated-635525971e920

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 deactivated-635525971e920
Member since 2009 • 429 Posts

Well, very few games released today actually showcase the power of modern PC GPUs, so we'll pretty much have to go by terms of raw processing power.

I remember it was said a couple of years back that a single Radeon HD 4870 housed more processing power than that of the entire PS3, so that probably partly answers your question. Whether that holds true or not, I don't know, but it certainly is likely cosidering console specs at that time already were really obsolete.

Of course, you could also measure the performance in multiplatform games, where it's not a rare thing to see even low budget GPUs produce much higher frames at resolutions similar to those of the 'HD' consoles.

I always try to stay up-to-date about what happens on the PC hardware market, and I've done so for more than half a decade, and I'd say the gap between 360/PS3 and a good gaming rig is definitely bigger than that between said consoles and the Wii.

As for the difference in resolutions, I believe the GPU in the Wii is perfectly capable of displaying resolutions well above 720p (since nearly all GPUs released in the last - dare I say - ten years have been able to), it's just that it can't produce playable frames in games while doing so, much like the GPUs of the 360/PS3 is capable of displaying 1920x1080 (probably 2560x1600 as well, since the PC GPU equivalents of those cards could), but will have to cut that in half to achieve smooth frames while running a modern game, whereas a mid-to-high end PC won't struggle much at all running most of today's games in those resolutions.

Funconsole

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#9 Funconsole
Member since 2009 • 3223 Posts
Probably PS3 to high end PC. But the difference between the Wii and the HD twins is also pretty large
Mr_Cumberdale

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#10 Mr_Cumberdale
Member since 2004 • 10189 Posts
Wii to PS3. The PC is not that good in graphics.
Kinthalis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Kinthalis

Wii to PS3. The PC is not that good in graphics.Mr_Cumberdale

You forgot to bring some facts and/or cites with you there bud. You know, like nearly everyone else on this thread.

Teh_Can

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Teh_Can
Member since 2010 • 148 Posts

Those comaprison shots of Black Ops are stupid, PC version doesn't look much better than PS3 because that game is mainly designed for consoles. They don't bother making the PC version look any better. Compare Metro 2033 instead, or wait for Crysis 2. Those games have special graphical features just for PC.

majadamus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 21

#13 majadamus
Member since 2003 • 10292 Posts

[QUOTE="Mr_Cumberdale"]Wii to PS3. The PC is not that good in graphics.Kinthalis

You forgot to bring some facts and/or cites with you there bud. You know, like nearly everyone else on this thread.

Based on what I've seen from Hermits touting graphical prowess through pics I really don't see much a difference from HD consoles to high end PCs. Yes, the PC games look better, but not that much better.
Hahadouken

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Hahadouken

[QUOTE="Hahadouken"]I'd say Wii to PS3 (consoles in general). A high-end PC's advantage over a console is huge, but the bump from 480p resolution to at least 720 is dramatic. I've seen plenty of console games that at least look like they are in the high-end PC ballpark, due to some fancy tricks, but I haven't seen any Wii game that comes close to the best-looking console games. Lack of HD is just a huge glaring obvious detriment.Kinthalis

The difference between 480p and 720p is LESS than the difference between 720p and 1080p (and PC's can go higher than than 1080p) in both technical and aesthetic terms.

Technical, perhaps, aesthetically, not even close. There is a distinct lack of "sharp/crispness" in literally every Wii game I have ever seen. Many people would be hard pressed to tell the difference between game X running at 720 versus 1080-, while any schlub off the street could tell a Wii game apart from a PS3/360 game.
Hakkai007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Hakkai007
Member since 2005 • 4905 Posts

Definately PS3 to PC.

PS3

PC

Hakkai007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Hakkai007
Member since 2005 • 4905 Posts

I remember it was said a couple of years back that a single Radeon HD 4870 housed more processing power than that of the entire PS3,

the_delta

It was actually about the 4870 being more powerful than every single console combined together.

jalexbrown

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#17 jalexbrown
Member since 2006 • 11432 Posts
   I think that the jump from PS3 to PC is just a touch more drastic, but of course it depends a lot on the game.
TheMistique

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 TheMistique
Member since 2008 • 1421 Posts

strictly technically speaking it's like this X1600SE (wii) less than---------------- 7800 (ps3) less than---------------------------------------- 5970 (pc)

of course this doesnt include the amazing optimization technique that goes into console development

Kinthalis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Kinthalis

[QUOTE="Kinthalis"]

[QUOTE="Hahadouken"]I'd say Wii to PS3 (consoles in general). A high-end PC's advantage over a console is huge, but the bump from 480p resolution to at least 720 is dramatic. I've seen plenty of console games that at least look like they are in the high-end PC ballpark, due to some fancy tricks, but I haven't seen any Wii game that comes close to the best-looking console games. Lack of HD is just a huge glaring obvious detriment.Hahadouken

Technical, perhaps, aesthetically, not even close. There is a distinct lack of "sharp/crispness" in literally every Wii game I have ever seen. Many people would be hard pressed to tell the difference between game X running at 720 versus 1080-, while any schlub off the street could tell a Wii game apart from a PS3/360 game.

Have you conducted a statistical study to determine if indeed joe schmoe can't tell the difference between 720p and 1080p, or can you perhaps link to one? Or are you just assuming this si true 'cause that's what you think?

I can very easily tell the difference between a game running at 720p and one runnign at 1080p. Not that I'm positing my anectdotal experience as data. You seem to be doing just that, however.

Gamingclone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Gamingclone
Member since 2009 • 5224 Posts

I was about to shout out foul play :P I read the title as "What has a wider gap in graphical power, wii to ps3 or wii to highend pc?" Lol talk about needing to read.

Avatar image for deactivated-635525971e920
deactivated-635525971e920

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 deactivated-635525971e920
Member since 2009 • 429 Posts

It was actually about the 4870 being more powerful than every single console combined together.

Hakkai007

Ah, so that's how it was. Well, it sure was one fine card.

jalexbrown

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#22 jalexbrown
Member since 2006 • 11432 Posts
[QUOTE="Kinthalis"]

[QUOTE="Hahadouken"][QUOTE="Kinthalis"]

Have you conducted a statistical study to determine if indeed joe schmoe can't tell the difference between 720p and 1080p, or can you perhaps link to one? Or are you just assuming this si true 'cause that's what you think?

I can very easily tell the difference between a game running at 720p and one runnign at 1080p. Not that I'm positing my anectdotal experience as data. You seem to be doing just that, however.

To be fair, there are a few variables that could affect rather or not one can tell the difference - display size and viewing distance, for example.
monkey_muffin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 monkey_muffin
Member since 2003 • 171 Posts
Thats a straight up lie.
emperorzhang66

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 emperorzhang66
Member since 2009 • 1483 Posts
ps3 to hind end pc. wii is dx9c isn't it? Also technology has advanced so much more than when the ps3 was made.
SpideR_CentS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 SpideR_CentS
Member since 2006 • 4766 Posts

Wii to PS3 easy

hexashadow13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 hexashadow13
[QUOTE="emperorzhang66"]ps3 to hind end pc. wii is dx9c isn't it? Also technology has advanced so much more than when the ps3 was made.

Nintendo and Sony can't use DX.
htekemerald

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 htekemerald
Member since 2004 • 7325 Posts
tbh I see no real difference between the wii and the ps3.
hexashadow13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 hexashadow13
tbh I see no real difference between the wii and the ps3.htekemerald
Thats definitely a straight up lie.
haberman13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 haberman13
Member since 2003 • 2414 Posts

Tie: Wii 480p blows, PS3 looks much better

PS3 720p blows, PC is much better

htekemerald

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 htekemerald
Member since 2004 • 7325 Posts
[QUOTE="htekemerald"]tbh I see no real difference between the wii and the ps3.hexashadow13
Thats definitely a straight up lie.

Both use last gen hardware to output sub hd resolutions. Both have games with jaggies and blurry texture everywhere Both struggle to put out 30fps Not much of a difference. If theres a difference its somewhere in the range of the PS2 to Xbox.
topgunmv

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#31 topgunmv
Member since 2003 • 10880 Posts

I think that the jump from PS3 to PC is just a touch more drastic, but of course it depends a lot on the game.jalexbrown

Why's the ps3 pic so tiny?

Lucianu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#32 Lucianu
Member since 2007 • 10347 Posts

There's a thing about objectively speaking now, let's use a example from a cheap high end PC.

A PC capable of running Crysis on the highest settings, and all multiplats on highest also is 300$. It has 2Gb DDR3 6400MHz, and 1GB ATI 3870x2..

Let's add another 20$ to the mix so we can have 3GB. A standard mid-high end PC with only 320$, that's hardly unaffordable, and most people today use 3GB+ in their system. We could add 8GB.. but no, keeping it strictly on the average person, 3 seems right for the average PC gamer enthusiast, from my experience.

Alright. Now let's see what the PS3 has. 256MB XDR Main RAM and 256MB GDDR3 VRAM. Okei. A total of 512MB for the entire system, but, the PS3 utilizes most of it's power towards gaming, were as the PC utilizes some of it's RAM towards programs and the OS.

So let's say that the average user uses Win7 (though i've seen most use WinXP in my city.. but let's say for the average person in the world). With basic programs on, that's about 1GB consumed. There are optimization tools for freeing up RAM massively, but as i said, this is for the average Joe. That leaves 2GB+ (it depends on what programs you have on, or don't have on).

Based on all that, a high end 320$ PC is 4 times more powerful then a PS3. For a average Joe, without using optimization tools, with only 3GB of RAM, AND using Win7. Imagine a passionate PC gamer with 500$-1000$ using the most basic programs built specifically for gaming, can do.

The Wii has 91MB of RAM (including the 3MB embedded GPU texture memory and framebuffer). The PS3 is 5.5 times stronger then the Wii.

Conclusion:

• From a standard mid-high end PC for the average Joe point of view, the Wii - PS3 gap is bigger.
  • From a high end PC for a more gamer oriented type a point of view, the PC - PS3 gap is humoungous, and far more bigger then the Wii - PS3 gap, since i can, in fact, be able to put over 16GB of RAM in my system (8GB is actually enough for the PC - PS3 gap to be bigger), and a video card that you can't comprehend, a damn powerful overall PC.

It comes down to what PC you have. I just used a mainstream objective approach, using a cheap high end PC. If i were to be using a true high end PC, the gap would be incomprehensible, and far bigger then the Wii - PS3 gap.

Hahadouken

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Hahadouken

There's a thing about objectively speaking now, let's use a example from a cheap high end PC.

A PC capable of running Crysis on the highest settings, and all multiplats on highest also is 300$. It has 2Gb DDR3 6400MHz, and 1GB ATI 3870x2..

Let's add another 20$ to the mix so we can have 3GB. A standard mid-high end PC with only 320$, that's hardly unaffordable, and most people today use 3GB+ in their system. Lucianu

A $320 PC from scratch will not max out Crysis. In fact I bet it stutters in Orgrimmar with WoW maxed out to Ultra.

Lucianu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 Lucianu

[QUOTE="Lucianu"]

Let's add another 20$ to the mix so we can have 3GB. A standard mid-high end PC with only 320$, that's hardly unaffordable, and most people today use 3GB+ in their system. Hahadouken

A $320 PC from scratch will not max out Crysis. In fact I bet it stutters in Orgrimmar with WoW maxed out to Ultra.

Prove me wrong.

I've provided a link to a guy showing the parts and playing, so until then, no.

Btw., this is the guy:

I do build computers on occasions. Mostly for friends, family or myself. While I was at uni I did it as a hobby/ small business. I work full time now (as a Human Resources Officer) but I will still do builds on occasions. Tech and Youtube are my hobby and putting these vids up to help people out is good fun. If anyone lives in Brisbane Australia and wants a PC built I would be open to helping them out.

Hahadouken

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 Hahadouken

Kinthalis

Where did I posit it as data? If you want to test this, post screengrabs of Wii games and screengrabs of HD console games at 720p versus 1080p and ask people to pick them out. I bet it plays out exactly how I said it would, and I think it's preposterous to even suggest otherwise. I don't think you can "easily" pick out 1080p from 720p, but you can claim whatever you want. Please show me a Wii screenshot that I could possibly confuse with a graphically strong HD console game and I'll revisit my OPINION that I didn't "posit" as fact.
Hahadouken

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 Hahadouken

[QUOTE="Hahadouken"]

[QUOTE="Lucianu"]

Let's add another 20$ to the mix so we can have 3GB. A standard mid-high end PC with only 320$, that's hardly unaffordable, and most people today use 3GB+ in their system. Lucianu

Prove me wrong.

I've provided a link to a guy showing the parts and playing, so until then, no.

The proof is that my PC outpaces that one and I can't max out Crysis without a massive slideshow. That's proof enough for me. He even admits that he got many parts through classified ads, etc. I'd love to find x2 1GB GPU's for a grand total of $60. :lol: That's like buying a PS3 from Kijiji for $50 and claiming the PS3 is a $50 console.
GeneralShowzer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#37 GeneralShowzer
Member since 2010 • 11598 Posts
Why u comparing Black Ops bro? Why don't we compare Far Cry 2, Dirt 2, Crysis 2, Just Cause 2?
ChubbyGuy40

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 ChubbyGuy40
Member since 2007 • 26442 Posts

[QUOTE="Kinthalis"]

[QUOTE="Hahadouken"] Technical, perhaps, aesthetically, not even close. There is a distinct lack of "sharp/crispness" in literally every Wii game I have ever seen. Many people would be hard pressed to tell the difference between game X running at 720 versus 1080-, while any schlub off the street could tell a Wii game apart from a PS3/360 game.Hahadouken

Where did I posit it as data? If you want to test this, post screengrabs of Wii games and screengrabs of HD console games at 720p versus 1080p and ask people to pick them out. I bet it plays out exactly how I said it would, and I think it's preposterous to even suggest otherwise. I don't think you can "easily" pick out 1080p from 720p, but you can claim whatever you want. Please show me a Wii screenshot that I could possibly confuse with a graphically strong HD console game and I'll revisit my OPINION that I didn't "posit" as fact.

Since 1080p is over twice the amount of detail of 720p, its pretty easy. 720p looks stretched and blurry on a 1080p screen.

bigblunt537

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#39 bigblunt537
Member since 2003 • 6907 Posts

I think the gap from Wii to ps3 is much wider than PS3 to PC. I have a highend PC and honestly besides a higher resolution and a few more effects the game still looks highly similar to the console counter part where as the same Wii title in most cases looks worst than a ps2 title. And before someone tries to kill me.

Specs: 2 x 460GTX 1gb

Q9550 3.4 ghz

4gb DDR2-800.

In terms of hardware I still feel that the difference between Wii and ps3 is greater. The Wii barely stands up to the ps2 in most cases and the jump from Ps2 to Ps3 is huge.

DudeNtheRoom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 DudeNtheRoom
Member since 2010 • 1276 Posts
You must not play PC games....
ChubbyGuy40

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 ChubbyGuy40

the same Wii title in most cases looks worst than a ps2 title.

bigblunt537

I really think people exaggerate the visuals from last gen. Most of them are horrible compared to the Wii. You'd really have to mess something up to get a game looking last gen.

Lucianu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 Lucianu

The proof is that my PC outpaces that one and I can't max out Crysis without a massive slideshow. That's proof enough for me. He even admits that he got many parts through classified ads, etc. I'd love to find x2 1GB GPU's for a grand total of $60. :lol: That's like buying a PS3 from Kijiji for $50 and claiming the PS3 is a $50 console.Hahadouken

Well.. the guy exists, and as far as i'm concerned, your argument is as strong has hes, though he posted a vid, specs and the parts. That's unfortunately one of the beauties of the internet. So i'll stick to that video until a PC expert tells me those parts are bull***. :P

Hahadouken

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 Hahadouken

ChubbyGuy40

Since 1080p is over twice the amount of detail of 720p, its pretty easy. 720p looks stretched and blurry on a 1080p screen.

We're talking about aesthetics, not quantifiable data, and I can certainly spot the difference between a Wii game compared to a PS3 game more easily than I can tell the difference between the same game running at 1080p versus 720p. Take it as you will.
bigblunt537

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 bigblunt537

[QUOTE="bigblunt537"]

the same Wii title in most cases looks worst than a ps2 title.

ChubbyGuy40

I really think people exaggerate the visuals from last gen. Most of them are horrible compared to the Wii. You'd really have to mess something up to get a game looking last gen.

From my experience on my Wii I've only seen 2-3 impressive looking games and I mean good looking for the Wii. On the ps3 even if that title was in HD would look like crap.

Hahadouken

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 Hahadouken

[QUOTE="Hahadouken"]The proof is that my PC outpaces that one and I can't max out Crysis without a massive slideshow. That's proof enough for me. He even admits that he got many parts through classified ads, etc. I'd love to find x2 1GB GPU's for a grand total of $60. :lol: That's like buying a PS3 from Kijiji for $50 and claiming the PS3 is a $50 console.Lucianu

Well.. the guy exists, and as far as i'm concerned, your argument is as strong has hes, though he posted a vid, specs and the parts. That's unfortunately one of the beauties of the internet. So i'll stick to that video until a PC expert tells me those parts are bull***. :P

Fair enough, I really don't care. Watch that video and check what he's running at, it's not "maxed" by any stretch of the imagination either. DX9, 0xAA 0xAF and "High settings". We may disagree about some things, but the definition of "highest settings" is pretty concrete and this is not Crysis being played at the highest settings.
Jebus213

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 Jebus213
Member since 2010 • 10056 Posts

ps3 to PC

Console's are holding PC back. PC's are 10 times more powerful then any console.

bigblunt537

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 bigblunt537

ps3 to PC

Console's are holding PC back. PC's are 10 times more powerful then any console.

Jebus213

Although PC is obviously vastly more powerful than the ps360 are you telling me that the ps360 aren't 10 times more powerful than the Wii? The Ps3's cpu alone is 10 times more powerful than the Wii's.

GeneralShowzer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#48 GeneralShowzer
Member since 2010 • 11598 Posts

[QUOTE="Jebus213"]

ps3 to PC

bigblunt537

Although PC is obviously vastly more powerful than the ps360 are you telling me that the ps360 aren't 10 times more powerful than the Wii? The Ps3's cpu alone is 10 times more powerful than the Wii's.

Ah,yes the PS3 CPU what was it called i keep forgetting...
bigblunt537

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 bigblunt537

[QUOTE="bigblunt537"]

[QUOTE="Jebus213"]

ps3 to PC

GeneralShowzer

Well if you're being serious it's the Cell and no I'm not saying that the ps3 cpu is godly. I'm saying it's far stronger than any component in the Wii. So is the 360's cpu.

ChubbyGuy40

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 ChubbyGuy40

[QUOTE="bigblunt537"]

[QUOTE="Jebus213"]

ps3 to PC

GeneralShowzer

TEH CELL!!1