What happened to Halo 5? and do you think 343 is doing a good job with Halo Franchise?

daredevils2k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Poll What happened to Halo 5? and do you think 343 is doing a good job with Halo Franchise? (67 votes)

Yes, 343 is doing an excellent job 49%
No, 343 destroying the halo I once knew :( 51%

Found this really good essay about Halo 5 and even though I didn't play it, I've heard so many bad things about it from my friends ( but they love the MP part of the game) that I'm glad I didn't go out and by a Xb1 when halo 5 was released. Even though I was a huge fan of the Halo series from the OG xbox to the 360, I often wonder what went wrong with Halo franchise since 343 has taken over.

I hope Halo 6 turns out good, because if it is, then it may make me buy an xb1 s , which sadly this gen no game has come out that made me want to buy an xbox this gen :(

• 
lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#1 lamprey263
Member since 2006 • 44564 Posts

Yes, the game is awesome, and I still play it for its Firefight mode. My main complaint is fractured story, probably done to fill it in by monetizing supplemental media, hopefully with changes in the gaming division this won't be issue in future.

dz8t2t

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 dz8t2t
Member since 2004 • 318 Posts

Bepis.

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 72

#3 Pedro
Member since 2002 • 69479 Posts

Halo gameplay is still solid but the story started to go downhill since Halo 4 (343 took over). Because the story directly affects the campaign the campaign suffered. The visual presentation of the game has dramatically improved since Halo 4 both technically and artistically. But, 343 need to consolidate that mess of a story/campaign. BTW I am not watching that video and I sure believe you when you say "I hope Halo 6 turns out good,..." LMAO.

Sam3231

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 296

#4 Sam3231
Member since 2008 • 2949 Posts

It's an excellent game, just happens to have a bunch of dullards that want to discredit 343.

daredevils2k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By daredevils2k
Member since 2015 • 5001 Posts

@Pedro said:

Halo gameplay is still solid but the story started to go downhill since Halo 4 (343 took over). Because the story directly affects the campaign the campaign suffered. The visual presentation of the game has dramatically improved since Halo 4 both technically and artistically. But, 343 need to consolidate that mess of a story/campaign. BTW I am not watching that video and I sure believe you when you say "I hope Halo 6 turns out good,..." LMAO.

Well Pedro its no secret that I'm a big cow this gen, but believe it or not, I use to be a lemming just like you. But I agree with you that since 343 with halo 4 wasn't that good and that the last halo game that I loved playing was halo Reach and Halo 3 and thanks to XBL i had some of the best gaming experiences with friends with those two games a lone. I also do wish halo 6 turns out good, because Master Chief is one of my favorite game characters and you should check out the video, because its not a fan boy bias.

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#6 Archangel3371
Member since 2004 • 44172 Posts

I really enjoyed Halo 5 myself. The story could have used more Master Chief in it but other then that I found the game to be very good. I have faith in 343 delivering an excellent game with Halo 6.

Moistcarrot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Moistcarrot
Member since 2015 • 1474 Posts

They don't know how to evolve the game without changing the core mechanics too much.

And I'm not really a a fan of the art direction they took with halo 5, the vehicles and gun models look really ugly.

Shewgenja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#8 Shewgenja
Member since 2009 • 21456 Posts

God-awful SP campaign, really damn good MP.

nepu7supastar7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 51

#9 nepu7supastar7
Member since 2007 • 6773 Posts

I have just about lost faith in Halo. The story is just getting dumber and dumber and now they're pushing loot crates into the multiplayer. Not to mention the lack of couch multiplayer. 343i even said that they don't believe Master Chief is that important in the story and they proved that with his lack of presence in the campaign. I don't give a shit about SPARTAN Locke. The movies haven't made me change my mind either. I want Master Chief! Or at the very least, let me make a SPARTAN look like him.

nepu7supastar7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 51

#10 nepu7supastar7
Member since 2007 • 6773 Posts

@moistcarrot:

Don't forget about the armor styles. They traded cool but functional with flamboyant but somewhat functional.

PAL360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

#11 PAL360
Member since 2007 • 30570 Posts

I never played Halo 5, but i loved Halo 4. Much better than Bungie's OSDT and Reach, in my opinion.

Moistcarrot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Moistcarrot
Member since 2015 • 1474 Posts

@nepu7supastar7 said:

@moistcarrot:

Don't forget about the armor styles. They traded cool but functional with flamboyant but somewhat functional.

Yup, classic case of overdesigning.

speedytimsi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 speedytimsi
Member since 2003 • 1415 Posts

I still know people that's still trying to make it to Max Rank. They are at 149

Props to them, but i can't do it.

Sam3231

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Sam3231

@speedytimsi said:

I still know people that's still trying to make it to Max Rank. They are at 149

Props to them, but i can't do it.

Right. Max is 152. I haven't even cracked 140 yet... around 130 or so. Feels like I've been 120-130 forever.

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#15 DaVillain  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 56107 Posts

What happened to Halo 5? It's shitty Campaign is what's the problem! Misleading marketing campaign, game's story was hyped up to be WAY better than what it was especially regarding Hunt the Truth etc. As others said, story sucked (was meh at best), level design was great. MP gameplay is fantastic, map design could be better. Art-style hasn't been my cup of tea since Halo 4.

Here's my personal opinion on Halo series as of now. 343 isn't Bungie obviously. I grew up with Bungie when they made CE and beyond that, Bungie is known to be the best creators of the series and even there last Halo game they made, Halo Reach was the last great Halo game. I'm sorry but 343 isn't that good handling Halo franchise and MS should have left Halo on the 360 after Reach.

As for Halo 6, I'm not expecting it to be good, but I'll still buy it since it's coming to PC and that's as much credit as I can give to MS just for the PC version.

@nepu7supastar7 said:

I have just about lost faith in Halo. The story is just getting dumber and dumber and now they're pushing loot crates into the multiplayer. Not to mention the lack of couch multiplayer. 343i even said that they don't believe Master Chief is that important in the story and they proved that with his lack of presence in the campaign. I don't give a shit about SPARTAN Locke. The movies haven't made me change my mind either. I want Master Chief! Or at the very least, let me make a SPARTAN look like him.

Halo isn't Halo without Bungie :(

raugutcon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By raugutcon
Member since 2014 • 5576 Posts

H4 and H5 campaign = hmmmmm, not so great.

H4 MP = quite good

H5 MP = great

So 343 should make a better campaign and keep the MP the way it is.

I still miss the “brutes”

cainetao11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 77

User Lists: 1

#17 cainetao11
Member since 2006 • 38036 Posts

@Sam3231 said:

It's an excellent game, just happens to have a bunch of dullards that want to discredit 343.

Its amazing how Meta scores and GS scores are brought up often here but looking at that, 343 has one 9 and one 8 from GS and both their Halo's are 84 and 87 on Meta. How does that equate to bad?

Avatar image for deactivated-5acbb9993d0bd
deactivated-5acbb9993d0bd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 deactivated-5acbb9993d0bd
Member since 2012 • 12449 Posts

I don't blame 343, Halo by design was destined (no pun intended) to lose steam.

The slow gameplay, coupled with the very small MP scenarios (mostly, I appreciate there were many modes.) just did not keep its appeal compared to Call of Duty, Battlefield, Counter-Strike and now PUBG. It was always doomed to fail on PC... it just did console shooters right "first".. not best.

Even Destiny suffered from the same flaws, the only hook being an endless grind.

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By DaVillain  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 56107 Posts

@MBirdy88 said:

I don't blame 343, Halo by design was destined (no pun intended) to lose steam.

The slow gameplay, coupled with the very small MP scenarios (mostly, I appreciate there were many modes.) just did not keep its appeal compared to Call of Duty, Battlefield, Counter-Strike and now PUBG. It was always doomed to fail on PC... it just did console shooters right "first".. not best.

Even Destiny suffered from the same flaws, the only hook being an endless grind.

That's only because Bungie used Halo's old school gameplay flow making it Halo 2.0 but it work. Destiny at first was fun, but Bungie got carried away with the damn DLC and endless grinding. The only reason Destiny was a success it had Bungie's name in it. But when Destiny 2 release, we all know now Bungie is a shitty developer now.

Sam3231

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Sam3231

@cainetao11 said:
@Sam3231 said:

Its amazing how Meta scores and GS scores are brought up often here but looking at that, 343 has one 9 and one 8 from GS and both their Halo's are 84 and 87 on Meta. How does that equate to bad?

Right. It's baffling.

Avatar image for deactivated-5f3ec00254b0d
deactivated-5f3ec00254b0d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

#21 deactivated-5f3ec00254b0d
Member since 2009 • 6278 Posts

Imo while the story sucks and it's bad enough to almost ruining the game I think overall level design, art direction, weapons and general gameplay it better than classic halo games. But story/narrative is a disaster.

FLOPPAGE_50

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 FLOPPAGE_50
Member since 2004 • 4500 Posts

The multiplayer is amazing

Alucard_Prime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#23 Alucard_Prime
Member since 2008 • 10107 Posts

Still one of the more popular games when you look at the most played games in the store. It's doing well imo considering all the competition. The campaign took a back seat and was arguably weaker than before, but I personally enjoyed it playing it coop with a friend and I'm replaying it on the X it's great seeing the enhanced graphics to the cool art design.

Multiplayer is where it's at and outside of missing split screen, it's one of the higher-profile shooters out there. Rock solid gameplay and feature-rich with numerous co-operative and competitive play modes. Creator tools like Forge. Game does large and small scale battles well, and has a huge variety of weapon and vehicle types. These days I usually just play Firefight but I'm more of a Gears 4 player as of late.

blueinheaven

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#24  Edited By blueinheaven
Member since 2008 • 5554 Posts

Halo 5 campaign was shockingly bad. The story was dogshit and nothing like what they advertised in the build up to the game. The graphics were putrid as well since they wanted 60fps for MP on Xbox One which totally sucked ass at graphics so something had to give. Loads of remnants from MP mode hanging about in the SP as well it was like they seriously just didn't give a shit about SP at all.

They basically produced an Xbox 360 quality game for the Xbox One and called it a done job.

TLDR: I love Halo, I hate 343 having anything at all to do with Halo outside of MP.

kingtito

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 kingtito
Member since 2003 • 11775 Posts

@Shewgenja said:

I found the campaign enjoyable. What exactly did you hate about it? I haven't played the MP though so I can't comment on it.

iambatman7986

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#26 iambatman7986
Member since 2013 • 4575 Posts

The campaign sucked. Level design was lackluster and fighting the same boss left a bad taste in my mouth.

The multiplayer is bloody brilliant though. I haven't played it in many months, but I have fond memories with it.

Avatar image for NathanDrakeSwag
NathanDrakeSwag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 NathanDrakeSwag
Member since 2013 • 17392 Posts

Trash game all around. Bad campaign + bad MP that no one plays.

Shewgenja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Shewgenja
Member since 2009 • 21456 Posts

@kingtito said:
@Shewgenja said:

I found the campaign enjoyable. What exactly did you hate about it? I haven't played the MP though so I can't comment on it.

First gripe is very subjective. Having Cortana turn heel is just... bad. If I really overthink it, it makes me wonder if the creative director has trust issues with women, but if I take it at face value it's just an awful character assassination after all the countless times she could have hit "ye little red button" and sent everything into a death spiral already. It's a plot twist more believable in WWE than a huge AAA franchise beloved by an ardent fanbase and often the sole shining light on a platform owned by a multibillion dollar global software empire. I'm sure we could go back and forth on this point, but I just can't even.

Second problem I had is that so much effort goes into setting up Locke as a major character, but he is nowhere near as varied in gameplay or level design as what they did with the Arbiter's character in Halo 2. Even worse, though, was that it all felt astronomically dumb in light of the fact that his story is literally revolved around the notion of being the road block to the real protagonist in the whole situation. So, it's not that it was just a bland flavor of playing as Chief but you already didn't like him a whole heck of a lot because he was Captain Cockblock up until the end, too. Just... laborious to slog through that when a far more interesting story was afoot for a far smaller portion of the playable game. Terrible idea! Maybe if he was a colorful/Duke Nukem type of personality to make up for being the "unsuspecting sub-heel" it MIGHT have worked... maybe..

Thirdly, (%^& the *&%^& Warden. Creative Director or Scenario designer deserves to be pimp smacked into oblivion for rehashing the same boss over and over again in such a transitive story. Of any of these three flaws, perhaps having just one would have been tolerable except this one. There was no growth out of this encounter and facing multiples of it made me cringe. At least Frieza had the good graces to transform several times in his ENDLESS encounter with Goku on Namek. Why was that considered good and this is bad? It cultivated the tension. You got a different look. You at least had an opportunity to ask the question "Oh, is this where it all goes bad?" and I only felt that way during the first encounter with the Warden. Worst of all, I got to the realization that he is being rehashed so much because of a "twist" end. I kept asking myself "Wait, we know the Forerunner have a rating system for power suits, so when is the Warden going to show us their idea of a get ish done suit?" and it just never happened. Incredibly disappointing.

Avatar image for drummerdave9099
drummerdave9099

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 drummerdave9099
Member since 2010 • 4606 Posts

Hate to say it but Halo 5 is probably the worst of the main 6 games (I don't count ODST).

I thought the multiplayer felt and controlled great. The game types were great as always. Did not like firefight much though. And the poor maps dragged the experience down.

I'm looking forward to Master Chief Collection update :D

Basinboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#30 Basinboy
Member since 2003 • 14495 Posts

MP was pretty good, but I haven’t any friends who play Halo anymore and being relegated to X1 doesn’t help.

Never touched (and never wanted to) the SP. Couldn’t be brought to care after Halo 4’s campaign fell apart in its last 1/3.

Avatar image for deactivated-6092a2d005fba
deactivated-6092a2d005fba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By deactivated-6092a2d005fba
Member since 2015 • 22663 Posts

@NathanDrakeSwag said:

Trash game all around. Bad campaign + bad MP that no one plays.

This thread is talking about Halo not GTA 5.

hrt_rulz01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By hrt_rulz01
Member since 2006 • 22376 Posts

Halo 5's campaign was pretty mediocre, which is what I care about. However, I loved Halo 4's campaign. So I'm not giving up hope on 343 yet for Halo 6.

freedomfreak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 freedomfreak
Member since 2004 • 52427 Posts

Halo 5 was horrible.

343 is making this franchise worse and worse.

Litchie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#34  Edited By Litchie
Member since 2003 • 34610 Posts

No, they seem to **** up Halo pretty good. But I doubt Bungie would make a good Halo these days either.. Destiny is horrible.

ArchoNils2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 ArchoNils2
Member since 2005 • 10534 Posts

I didn't like Halo 5 at all. The story was horrible. 4 was also pretty bad. The last Halo I really enjoyed was ODST and maybe Reach

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 72

#36 Pedro
Member since 2002 • 69479 Posts

@daredevils2k said:
@Pedro said:

Well Pedro its no secret that I'm a big cow this gen, but believe it or not, I use to be a lemming just like you. But I agree with you that since 343 with halo 4 wasn't that good and that the last halo game that I loved playing was halo Reach and Halo 3 and thanks to XBL i had some of the best gaming experiences with friends with those two games a lone. I also do wish halo 6 turns out good, because Master Chief is one of my favorite game characters and you should check out the video, because its not a fan boy bias.

Firstly, I am not a "lemming" contrary to popular belief. I simply call things as they are and game where the games at whether or not I like the system or company (Nintendo). If gamers can play all games on the system of their liking whether it be PC, PS4 or Xbox (to hell with Nintendo) that will be golden. Halo is a good game that was better than the competitors when it was released now it has become generic and too cinematic. As far as I am concern they should simply reboot the bloody game because the story as it stands is shit.

360ru13r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#37 360ru13r
Member since 2008 • 1856 Posts

I don't like the answer choices. Where is the in the middle answer of Yes, but they could do better. Everything as to be best thing ever or worst thing every culture. smh

Avatar image for APiranhaAteMyVa
APiranhaAteMyVa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 APiranhaAteMyVa
Member since 2011 • 4160 Posts

If Halo 6 was announced tomorrow, the web would be silent.

Halo MCC did the real damage. Halo series is dead.

Avatar image for deactivated-5ebd39d683340
deactivated-5ebd39d683340

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#39  Edited By deactivated-5ebd39d683340
Member since 2005 • 4089 Posts

Being the what could now be called 'the old skool halo fan', I played Halo 5 and despite its risky art direction and more marine style story line, I can really appreciate the snappy and intuitive gameplay mechanics. Halo 5 has a lot of roots from Halo 2, and it's a much faster paced game.

It's a different experience yet feels like Halo. If 343 learned from their mistakes Halo 6 will be an excellent game even if it doesn't turn out to be the system seller it once was.

Gaming was simpler back 10 years ago, the market has changed and so have the games. Now there is such an oversaturation of good games I can bet you most members on here have 20+ games in their backlog.

Avatar image for Stevo_the_gamer
Stevo_the_gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 49

#40 Stevo_the_gamer  Moderator
Member since 2004 • 49568 Posts

Campaign was incredibly underwhelming, multiplayer was fantastic.

funsohng

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 funsohng
Member since 2005 • 29976 Posts

I wouldn't know, I stopped caring about Halo after Reach

sonny2dap

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 sonny2dap
Member since 2008 • 2066 Posts

So campaign, was bad it really was, rehashing warden eternal was a poor design choice, the concept of Cortana suddenly being the bad guy again not a choice I agree with, Prometheans in general lack a certain amount of the feedback you get from the covenant or flood, overall the singleplayer has suffered imo.

The MP, well that's interesting as things stand now it's pretty good and they've supported the title continuously, the inclusion of warzone/firefight was a good choice, word of warning to anyone picking it up now though, the population still playing are pretty hardcore for the most part and you will have your ass handed to you until you learn and adapt to the way Halo plays.

SecretPolice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 SecretPolice
Member since 2007 • 44066 Posts

Unlike my first time; my last play through of the SP campaign was for some reason so much more enjoyable and I loved it. Made me so pumped to see where it all goes in Halo 6. :D

Also, the MP is by far the finest FPS in the universe so seems to me this is just mooaar of cows and others doing the, we don't love our system and games, we just hate MS/Xbox. Such losers with 24/7 BH. lol :P

brimmul777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 52

User Lists: 2

#45 brimmul777
Member since 2011 • 6089 Posts

I own'd Halo 5 since it was released,I own'd the physical copy at released and then sold it to EB Games and then re-bought the digital version and just now started to play single player and got to say Halo 5 single player ain't that bad,to be honest it's pretty good in my opinion.The multiplayer is some of the best online gaming you can get in gaming. I think you'll be satisfied picking up an X1S and Halo 5 in my opinion.

Avatar image for TheShadowLord07
TheShadowLord07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 TheShadowLord07
Member since 2006 • 23083 Posts

@jahnee said:

Halo 5 has a lot of roots from Halo 2, and it's a much faster paced game.

yup especially where you compare both games of having a terrible single player and a good multiplayer.