What Halo: Infinite COULD have looked like......(will make you sad)

StrongDeadlift

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By StrongDeadlift
Member since 2010 • 6073 Posts

I want you to engage me in a thought experiment.

Watch the following 4 videos. These are the Blur Studios pre-rendered cinematics for Halo Wars 2. Yes.......I am aware that they are pre-rendered CGI videos. Stay with me here, System Wars. I'll meet you at the bottom when you're done.

Watched them yet? Great.

Now watch the following Horizon: Forbidden West in-engine PS5 trailer.

That trailer was running in real time, on a Playstation 5. The point of this thought experiment was that this trailer looks AT LEAST as good (if not better) than those pre-rendered Blur cinematics for Halo Wars 2. That is on a console WEAKER than the Xbox Series X.

The quality of the Horizon: Forbidden West trailer (which BTW was running at 4k60fps) PROVES that the graphics in the above videos are more than possible for a Halo game on a console with 12 teraflops and a STILL very fast SSD.

This should also completely put to bed the question of whether or not Cross-Gen game development was a good idea. I made a thread the other day (pre-conference) that, while conciliatory that I prefered Sony's stance on this, STILL gave oxygen to Microsoft's, and I gave them the benefit of the doubt. That was a mistake that will NEVER happen again. What Microsoft felt comfortable showing of Halo: Infinite on thursday was absolutely unnacceptable. If that game releases in that state in the next 4 months, this is going to be Mass Effect: Andromeda all over again.

It will probably get in the 70s on metacritic (on name alone, which means in reality it should be in the 60s)

Whoever in the absolute blueberry phuck thought it was a good idea to spread development of Microsoft's most important game across 5 platforms (one of them a 1.3TF console with tablet cores, 68.2 GB/s DDR3 memory bandwidth, and a 5400rpm HDD) when not a single soul on earth asked them to do so, needs to be fired.

There is no way on earth this game is launching in the next 4 months.

ps5rulez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#2 ps5rulez
Member since 2020 • 456 Posts

No games today have impressive graphics hate to break it to you, we've hit a point of dimishing returns especially with this multiplatform model the industry has adopted 10 years ago.

Telekill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#3 Telekill
Member since 2003 • 12061 Posts

@ps5rulez: I've been gaming since the 2600 days. Most of today's games have impressive graphics. The younger gamers are simply spoiled beyond belief and don't know any better.

ps5rulez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 ps5rulez

@Telekill: im 35 bro, i've seen it all before none of it's impressive, plus you dont have games built ground up for pc pushing graphics technology far beyond what a console is capable of these days, multiplatform model destroyed the whole industry 10 years ago, it's the reason todays games look like games from 10 years ago.

tormentos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 tormentos
Member since 2003 • 33784 Posts

Is it me or the 2018 trailer looks better and doesn't have that weird architecture.

Telekill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Telekill

@ps5rulez: *shrugs*

You see the negative. I don't.

ps5rulez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By ps5rulez

@Telekill: i see the good and the negative, but the negative outweigh's the good in modern gaming.

lack of mod tools in most games today

consoles gimping graphics advancement and game design.

only positive i see is you dont need powerful hardware to run games today, the negatives outweight the positives bro sorry.

Avatar image for deactivated-63d1ad7651984
deactivated-63d1ad7651984

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#8  Edited By deactivated-63d1ad7651984
Member since 2017 • 10057 Posts

@ps5rulez said:

@Telekill: im 35 bro, i've seen it all before none of it's impressive, plus you dont have games built ground up for pc pushing graphics technology far beyond what a console is capable of these days, multiplatform model destroyed the whole industry 10 years ago, it's the reason todays games look like games from 10 years ago.

You hit the nail on the head I miss the old days of PC gaming more then anything Crysis was the last true game to push graphics more then any modern game could ever dream of. It's a damn tragedy that the gaming industry turned into complete dog shit.

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#9  Edited By hardwenzen
Member since 2005 • 38853 Posts

Expectation

Reality

Avatar image for deactivated-63181ff40994a
deactivated-63181ff40994a

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 deactivated-63181ff40994a
Member since 2017 • 575 Posts

So we can obviously blame the cross gen bullsh1!t for the downgrade in Halo infinite? They did say it was an older build...but that makes no sense, why show something old...expecially when its a flagship title like halo. Somethings fishy.

Telekill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Telekill

@ps5rulez: Agree to disagree. Looking forward to the PS5.

ps5rulez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 ps5rulez

@hardwenzen: different area and different lighting bro lol you cant make exact comparisons

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 hardwenzen

@ps5rulez said:

@hardwenzen: different area and different lighting bro lol you cant make exact comparisons

What you meant to say is; DIFFERENT GAME.

ps5rulez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 ps5rulez

@hardwenzen: nah

StrongDeadlift

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By StrongDeadlift
Member since 2010 • 6073 Posts

@fastnslowww said:

So we can obviously blame the cross gen bullsh1!t for the downgrade in Halo infinite? They did say it was an older build...but that makes no sense, why show something old...expecially when its a flagship title like halo. Somethings fishy.

Nah son, it being an "Older build" doesnt mean anything. The game is feature complete. What you saw in that trailer is indicative of what the near final product is. Nothing is going to change other than minor changes to the lighting. The actual assets and textures are unfinished, low rez and low poly. Lighting doesnt make the base models of the games assets magically have more polygons. I've even seen Halo channels suggesting that the Banished Phantom that flies by in the gameplay trailer is an asset ripped DIRECTLY from Halo Wars 2 and inserted into the game. No, not the model from the BLUR cinematics for Halo Wars 2, the GAMEPLAY version from Halo Wars 2. Oof.

I suspect alot of the assets we've seen in game that people are roasting are higher res versions of GAMEPLAY assets from Halo Wars 2.

Its like saying:

@ps5rulez said:

PernicioEnigma

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 PernicioEnigma
Member since 2010 • 6662 Posts

@ps5rulez said:

No, games are getting better looking, but you probably aren't taking the time to notice. Are you going to tell me TLOU2 doesn't look better than TLOU1? That RDR2 doesn't look better than GTA5?

rzxv04

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#17 rzxv04
Member since 2018 • 2578 Posts

Just saw the Atriox vid. I am confident they can mostly match that on most scenes with Infinite's higher quality cutscenes like the early Infinite trailer.

ps5rulez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 ps5rulez

@PernicioEnigma: very cosmetic upgrades.

Avatar image for BenjaminBanklin
BenjaminBanklin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 BenjaminBanklin
Member since 2004 • 11099 Posts

Yes, StrongDeadlift. Join the cows on the dark side... we have games. Real next-gen exclusives. *breathing sounds*

W1NGMAN-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#20 W1NGMAN-
Member since 2008 • 10109 Posts

@ps5rulez: Umm the last of us 2 was phenomenal looking wtf haha

BassMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 225

#21  Edited By BassMan
Member since 2002 • 17811 Posts

It must suck for 343 right now. They have been working on this game for a long time and people's reaction to the gameplay reveal was basically this....

They don't have much time to polish it up. Even if they went into super crunch mode, they still wouldn't be able to get it to where it needs to be. Morale at the company must be low. They should just delay it. This whole situation reminds me of Mass Effect Andromeda. Halo 5 was a disaster and Halo Infinite is not looking good. How the hell did 343 make Halo 4 into a pretty good game?

rzxv04

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#22  Edited By rzxv04
Member since 2018 • 2578 Posts

@BassMan said:

It must suck for 343 right now. They have been working on this game for a long time. The first impressions were not good and they don't have much time to polish it up. Even if they went into super crunch mode, they still wouldn't be able to get it to where it needs to be. Morale at the company must be low. They should just delay it. This whole situation reminds me of Mass Effect Andromeda. Halo 5 was a disaster and Halo Infinite is not looking good. How the hell did 343 make Halo 4 into a pretty good game?

I wonder if the visualart director is getting fired/quitting. It just feels tragic but the meme's might be exaggerating the situation. I hope their team is tough and positive.

They can gain goodwill if the keep a decent amount of dev support post launch.

Avatar image for deactivated-642321fb121ca
deactivated-642321fb121ca

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#23 deactivated-642321fb121ca
Member since 2013 • 7142 Posts

Could be the best one game play wise.

BassMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 225

#24  Edited By BassMan
Member since 2002 • 17811 Posts

@Random_Matt said: Could be the best one game play wise.

Could be... What about the combat, level design or anything else that was shown gives you much hope? I don't hold Halo in high regard like some do, but for a reboot of sorts and the amount of development time, I was expecting more from that reveal. My impressions of the demo and overall opinion of the series is similar to much of what is discussed by the PC Gamer crew (I like the grappling hook though)...

https://www.pcgamer.com/what-we-thought-of-the-halo-infinite-reveal/

Sevenizz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#25 Sevenizz
Member since 2010 • 6462 Posts

I feel everyone is talking crazy pills or grossly inflated their expectations. What I saw looked awesome. The gameplay looked smooth, graphics looked beefed up over the familiar CE environment, and an insane amount of detail. My only beef was the Warthog audio seemed muted and off. Whatever. My hype for Halo Infinite on my future XSX hasn’t dissipated one bit. But I enjoy videogames probably more than others who consider themselves gamers do.

AvIdGaMeR444

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By AvIdGaMeR444
Member since 2004 • 7031 Posts

Actually, this makes me laugh. Sorry, Halo fanboys, but this is just hilarious imo. And to add insult to injury, Killzone: Shadow Fall, a 2013 launch tile for PS4 looks better than Halo Infinite.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LOmm3uaH1Rk

Avatar image for NathanDrakeSwag
NathanDrakeSwag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By NathanDrakeSwag
Member since 2013 • 17392 Posts

Halo Infinite looks like some fans tried to make a Halo game in forge mode. The brute armor looks made of lego. Everything is so clean and static. Nothing is detailed. Clouds and grass pop ins everywhere.

Microsoft and 343 should be ashamed of themselves for this abomination.

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By hardwenzen

FEAR 1 lighting looks better 😅😂🤣

sovkhan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 sovkhan
Member since 2015 • 1591 Posts

Add to that pop up bugs, and you wonder what the hell have they been doing all these years!!!

//1.33>>1.39 in 2020!!!

Loading Video...

Zero_epyon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Zero_epyon
Member since 2004 • 20105 Posts

Apparently they were building this game in UE 4 and changed to Slip Space midway. Switching engines like that almost always cause delays or long dev times. That first trailer we saw a few years ago was probably in UE4.

Avatar image for deactivated-642321fb121ca
deactivated-642321fb121ca

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#31 deactivated-642321fb121ca
Member since 2013 • 7142 Posts

@Zero_epyon said:

Apparently they were building this game in UE 4 and changed to Slip Space midway. Switching engines like that almost always cause delays or long dev times. That first trailer we saw a few years ago was probably in UE4.

UE4 is garbage anyway, currently playing DQ, it is a joke of an engine.

PC_Rocks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 PC_Rocks
Member since 2018 • 8472 Posts

@Zero_epyon said:

Where did you heard that? As far as I know the reveal specifically said it was from SlipSpace engine as a test or something like that.

Zero_epyon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Zero_epyon
Member since 2004 • 20105 Posts

@pc_rocks said:
@Zero_epyon said:

Where did you heard that? As far as I know the reveal specifically said it was from SlipSpace engine as a test or something like that.

Leaked info. Could be false but makes sense as to why it's taken this long to get the game finished.

jg4xchamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#34 jg4xchamp
Member since 2006 • 64037 Posts

@Zero_epyon: the first reveal is bringing up the slip space engine. By all accounts they always wanted to keep the Halo engine, because the game feel n mechanics are already set. A lot of the retooling the engine is about improving tools to interact with said engine.

Which is what slip space is, so they can avoid all the tech debt that builds up in that engine. Bungie for instance uses a similar engine still (obviously since it’s their engine) and there are all sorts of stories about how time consuming it is to add basic assets to the game because of it.

Would imagine that’s the larger issue here, especially given how Glassdoor reviews are.

jeezers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 jeezers
Member since 2007 • 5341 Posts

Seriously i don't see much gameplay if any at all in that Horizon trailer? Its all pan outs and environmental shots combined with cinematics.... Im sure it will look good once it releases, as will Halo, alot of cows are really reaching right now....

Phlop_Spencer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 Phlop_Spencer
Member since 2020 • 1476 Posts

@Sevenizz said:

I feel everyone is talking crazy pills or grossly inflated their expectations. What I saw looked awesome. The gameplay looked smooth, graphics looked beefed up over the familiar CE environment, and an insane amount of detail. My only beef was the Warthog audio seemed muted and off. Whatever. My hype for Halo Infinite on my future XSX hasn’t dissipated one bit. But I enjoy videogames probably more than others who consider themselves gamers do.

only people taking crazy pills are die hard lems like you buddy

ThatDBFan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#37 ThatDBFan
Member since 2019 • 939 Posts

The demo is confirmed to have been on an older build from months ago. The gameplay trailer vs the demo actually looked better. The game will look better on release. Plus, it's not all that bad. The gameplay is great, and the story will be great too.