What good is next gen hardware if ...

• 66 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

nmaharg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 nmaharg
Member since 2004 • 3285 Posts

there is no next gen software? Xbox 360, PS3, and a high lvl gaming pc are are worthless. For one reason. There aren't any games out or coming out that really use the power these consoles/pcs have. Gaming in general sucks right now. We are playing ps2 and xbox games with nicer graphics.

I'm not falling for it. I'll stick with my ps2 and xbox. Until these gaming companys get there heads togther and put out next gen quality games.

I remember when people bought new gpus for a reason. I have an 8800 gt and don't see a reason to upgrade it at all. I think gaming has hit a huge brick wall. Gaming (as in games that are creative and still fun.) is dieing, guess it's time to find a new hobby.

Greed ruins everything.
SpruceCaboose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#2 SpruceCaboose
Member since 2005 • 24589 Posts

There are many things that current games are doing that last generation systems could not do.

Sorry if you don't feel that way, but its true.

nmaharg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 nmaharg

There are many things that current games are doing that last generation systems could not do.

SpruceCaboose

Like what? I've played alot of the better games this gen. And none of them did anything new.

Where are is the gta3 of this gen? Or GoW. Everything feels stale.

Nerd_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Nerd_Man
Member since 2007 • 13819 Posts
Enjoy your PS2 and Gamecube and whatnot.
JangoWuzHere

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#5 JangoWuzHere
Member since 2007 • 19032 Posts

there is no next gen software? Xbox 360, PS3, and a high lvl gaming pc are are worthless. For one reason. There aren't any games out or coming out that really use the power these consoles/pcs have. Gaming in general sucks right now. We are playing ps2 and xbox games with nicer graphics.

I'm not falling for it. I'll stick with my ps2 and xbox. Until these gaming companys get there heads togther and put out next gen quality games.

I remember when people bought new gpus for a reason. I have an 8800 gt and don't see a reason to upgrade it at all. I think gaming has hit a huge brick wall. Gaming (as in games that are creative and still fun.) is dieing, guess it's time to find a new hobby.

Greed ruins everything.nmaharg

crysis anyone?

loganh92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 loganh92
Member since 2007 • 443 Posts
[QUOTE="nmaharg"]

Greed ruins everything.JangoWuzHere

crysis anyone?

How is crysis original? :?

JangoWuzHere

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 JangoWuzHere
[QUOTE="JangoWuzHere"][QUOTE="nmaharg"]

Greed ruins everything.loganh92

how is it not original:/

crysis anyone?

nmaharg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 nmaharg
[QUOTE="nmaharg"]

crysis anyone?

What did crysis do new? Great half a game, sure. But the story is crap, after the first half of the game it's not even worth playing anymore. FPS are being over done. If youve played one this gen youve played them all. Good action. horrible story, and they get very boring very fast.

FPS this gen are like a super hot dumb girl.

SpruceCaboose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 SpruceCaboose
[QUOTE="SpruceCaboose"]

nmaharg

Like what? I've played alot of the better games this gen. And none of them did anything new.

Umm....GTA IV and Heavenly Sword?

If it feels stale, get out of gaming, its not for you anymore. No one is forcing you to keep gaming, but I have played quite a few games that I am sure could not have been done on last generation hardware.

JangoWuzHere

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 JangoWuzHere

crysis anyone?

What did crysis do new? Great half a game, sure. But the story is crap, after the first half of the game it's not even worth playing anymore. FPS are being over done. If youve played one this gen youve played them all. Good action. horrible story, and they get very boring very fast.

"sigh"

why don't you play some old classics like fallout 1 and 2 or command and conqer?

I think crysis is great IMO and no not everyone has to believe what you say;/

nmaharg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 nmaharg
[QUOTE="nmaharg"][QUOTE="SpruceCaboose"]

SpruceCaboose

If it feels stale, get out of gaming, its not for you anymore. No one is forcing you to keep gaming, but I have played quite a few games that I am sure could not have been done on last generation hardware.

GTA IV thats funny. ANd I haven't played heavenly sword before so i won't comment on it. But GTA IV is decent at best.

Nothing comes close to gta and vice city.

JangoWuzHere

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 JangoWuzHere
[QUOTE="SpruceCaboose"][QUOTE="nmaharg"][QUOTE="SpruceCaboose"]

nmaharg

GTA IV thats funny. ANd I haven't played heavenly sword before so i won't comment on it. But GTA IV is decent at best.

you sure like to whine alot don't ya-_-

SpruceCaboose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 SpruceCaboose

nmaharg

To you. To me, GTA IV is the pinnacle of the GTA series, and I have been a huge fan of all of them.

Like I said, maybe you are better off getting out of gaming. No point in complaining about it when clearly others are enjoying themselves.

Sometimes, you just lose interest in a hobby. It happens.

Avatar image for Bread_or_Decide
Bread_or_Decide

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Bread_or_Decide
Member since 2007 • 29761 Posts

Super

Mario

Galaxy

That's right. The best next gen game is on the Wii.

SpruceCaboose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 SpruceCaboose

Super

Mario

Galaxy

Bread_or_Decide

I would disagree, but I would put SMG in the top 10.

JangoWuzHere

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 JangoWuzHere

Super

Mario

Galaxy

Bread_or_Decide

I disagree

nmaharg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 nmaharg
[QUOTE="nmaharg"][QUOTE="JangoWuzHere"][QUOTE="nmaharg"]

crysis anyone?

"sigh"

why don't you play some old classics like fallout 1 and 2 or command and conqer?

I think crysis is great IMO and no not everyone has to believe what you say;/

Of course they don't thats what makes opinions so great. But no one is making and points as to how gaming has improved this gen.

RE4, GoW, Devil May Cry, R&C, Viewtiful Joe, ICO and the list goes on. Those are juat a small fraction of good new games to come out last gen.

I'm not seeing it anymore, and it seems gamers are happy accepting crappy new ips, and average sequels.

nmaharg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 nmaharg
[QUOTE="nmaharg"][QUOTE="SpruceCaboose"][QUOTE="nmaharg"][QUOTE="SpruceCaboose"]

JangoWuzHere

Only is I think my point is valid. Compare this gen to last gen yourself if you think i'm whining for no reason.

Bread_or_Decide

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Bread_or_Decide

I'm pretty sure in year 3 of the last gen consoles you coulda said the same thing for the PS2, XBOX, and Gamecube.

Lets give it some more time eh?

JangoWuzHere

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 JangoWuzHere
[QUOTE="JangoWuzHere"][QUOTE="nmaharg"][QUOTE="SpruceCaboose"][QUOTE="nmaharg"][QUOTE="SpruceCaboose"]

nmaharg

Only is I think my point is valid. Compare this gen to last gen yourself if you think i'm whining for no reason.

I just think yer standards for games are to high.

i_pk_pjers_i

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 i_pk_pjers_i
Member since 2008 • 178 Posts
[QUOTE="nmaharg"]

SpruceCaboose

To you. To me, GTA IV is the pinnacle of the GTA series, and I have been a huge fan of all of them.

Like I said, maybe you are better off getting out of gaming. No point in complaining about it when clearly others are enjoying themselves.

Sometimes, you just lose interest in a hobby. It happens.

I agree with everything you said, I'm still impressed with games this gen like gta iv.
JangoWuzHere

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 JangoWuzHere

I'm pretty sure in year 3 of the last gen consoles you coulda said the same thing for the PS2, XBOX, and Gamecube.

Lets give it some more time eh?

Bread_or_Decide

agree

this gen has onley been out for 2-3 years while last gen was I think 6-7 years.

just wait a little thats all.

SpruceCaboose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 SpruceCaboose

nmaharg

I have. I vastly prefer this generation to last. In just about every way.

Gaming is starting to grow up. Games are starting to tell compelling tales with real, good acting. They are pushing the notion of connectivity and creating worlds that are much more interactive and believable, and they are populated with much more realistic NPCs.

Roushrsh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Roushrsh
Member since 2005 • 3351 Posts

crysis anyone?

lol at the last comment :P

but seriously though, I see what you mean, they're last gen games with upgraded graphics, but at the same time, there isn't anything wrong with it, theres only so much we can do at the moment, just gotta live with it till next gen I guess or maybe the one after that...

nmaharg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 nmaharg
[QUOTE="nmaharg"][QUOTE="JangoWuzHere"][QUOTE="nmaharg"][QUOTE="SpruceCaboose"][QUOTE="nmaharg"][QUOTE="SpruceCaboose"]

JangoWuzHere

I just think yer standards for games are to high.

Maybe. But you do know how gaming almost died the first time around right...?

Flooding the consumers with over priced crappy games almost killed gaming once. And history does like to repeat itself. I see dark days coming. Where we are doing nothing but waiting for novemeber for are one great title of the year to come out.

Bread_or_Decide

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Bread_or_Decide

nmaharg

Last fall there was a great selection of games. Especially on the Xbox 360. This year does seem a tad bit more dry but the PS3 seems to have some of the most eye catching titles this time around.

SpruceCaboose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 SpruceCaboose

Flooding the consumers with over priced crappy games almost killed gaming once. And history does like to repeat itself. I see dark days coming. Where we are doing nothing but waiting for novemeber for are one great title of the year to come out.

nmaharg

Where is this flood of crappy content? 2007 was a banner year for games, and 2008 is stacking up just fine against it. You are doom-saying with little actual evidence to back it up besides your own dislike of modern gaming.

nmaharg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 nmaharg
[QUOTE="nmaharg"]

SpruceCaboose

Where is this flood of crappy content? 2007 was a banner year for games, and 2008 is stacking up just fine against it. You are doom-saying with little actual evidence to back it up besides your own dislike of modern gaming.

Don't have to go far to see that. For every good game released there are 5 truely awful games released. Out of the 200 or so 360 games there are only 7 i thought were worth the 60 bones.

Again just my opinion. But out of all the 400 or so ps3 and 360 games released so far how many do you own and play?

SpruceCaboose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 SpruceCaboose

Don't have to go far to see that. For every good game released there are 5 truely awful games released. Out of the 200 or so 360 games there are only 7 i thought were worth the 60 bones.

Again just my opinion. But out of all the 400 or so ps3 and 360 games released so far how many do you own and play?

nmaharg

I own a total of about 40 games for the three system, and about 45 Live, PSN, and Wii VC games. Miles more than I ever did last gen for the PS2 and Xbox.

Saturos3091

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Saturos3091
Member since 2005 • 14937 Posts

nmaharg

Since I only own a 360 and a Wii, I own roughly 25 games total but I've rented several more. Of course, I have a PC capable of playing games that literally could not have been done on last generation systems, with enhanced physics (yes they come into gameplay), graphics (obviously, including lighting which is part of the gameplay in some games, shadows, realistic effects basically), and AI, everything seems to feel more believable this gen. Stories are evolving in general, although there hasn't been any "wow" stories yet this gen (although The Darkness was pretty special for an FPS), and characters are becoming more likable and relatable.

At their core, most of the games this gen could be done on last gen consoles, and most of the games done on last gen consoles could've been done on the ones before that. It's the evolutionary steps that are taken along the way that differentiate the generations. Many of the games you listed from last generation could've been done on the PSX/N64.
plix3110

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#31 plix3110
Member since 2007 • 674 Posts
GTA IV was terrible, no re-play value what so ever. They tried way to hard to make it realistic when it isn't made to be realistic.
Zaibach

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#32 Zaibach
Member since 2007 • 13466 Posts

Well actually this is strange rant.... where is the reasoning dear sir. examples of games and why

nmaharg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 nmaharg
[QUOTE="nmaharg"]

Saturos3091

Since I only own a 360 and a Wii, I own roughly 25 games total but I've rented several more. Of course, I have a PC capable of playing games that literally could not have been done on last generation systems, with enhanced physics (yes they come into gameplay), graphics (obviously, including lighting which is part of the gameplay in some games, shadows, realistic effects basically), and AI, everything seems to feel more believable this gen. Stories are evolving in general, although there hasn't been any "wow" stories yet this gen (although The Darkness was pretty special for an FPS), and characters are becoming more likable and relatable.

At their core, most of the games this gen could be done on last gen consoles, and most of the games done on last gen consoles could've been done on the ones before that. It's the evolutionary steps that are taken along the way that differentiate the generations. Many of the games you listed from last generation could've been done on the PSX/N64.

Great point. I guess my real question is, why release a console every 6 years? Or a new gpu every 4 months.

SpruceCaboose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 SpruceCaboose

Great point. I guess my real question is, why release a console every 6 years? Or a new gpu every 4 months.

nmaharg

Six years is easy. Technology moves fast, and eventually consoles need to upgrade, not only to give more power to developers, but because the market is only so large. You can't sell truck loads of PS2s to a saturated market. You need to change the productin order to sell more product.

Kinda like why iPods have so many revisions and slight changes.

As for the GPUs, companies want to make money, and the best way is to make a card that is better than the competitors, so they keep pushing for new and better.

Why do cars change models every year? Why do TVs have different models every few months? Why are there new games? Its all to make money while giving a market things that they are asking for.

nmaharg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 nmaharg
[QUOTE="nmaharg"]

Greed ruins everything.Zaibach

Well actually this is strange rant.... where is the reasoning dear sir. examples of games and why

Yeah kinda came from left field. Me and my girl were ahving a conversation on it. We pooled our money to buy a 360, and found that even after 3 years there were only 2 games we both really wanted.

Kinda pissed both of us off, and wanted to see wht everyone else thought.

As for games, when i first got my ps2, and xbox I was able to go out and buy well over 15 brand new ips for the systems. No so anymore.

As for PC gaming I remeber I bought a 9800 pro and had to upgrade it in less than a year. Bad for some but im a hardware junkie I like stuff like that. Ive had my 8800 gt for almost a year and crysis even runs great on it.

Said it befire, but I just think gaming is stoppimg growth. Game devs seem afraid to try new things. Thats a new thing for me.

Tiefster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 37

#36 Tiefster
Member since 2005 • 14639 Posts

The worst thing about this gen is the quality of the pretty looking games. Some are great, some suck, some are hyped beyond belief and get hype scores only to become the but end of an over-rated game joke

SpruceCaboose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 SpruceCaboose

Yeah kinda came from left field. Me and my girl were ahving a conversation on it. We pooled our money to buy a 360, and found that even after 3 years there were only 2 games we both really wanted.

As for games, when i first got my ps2, and xbox I was able to go out and buy well over 15 brand new ips for the systems. No so anymore.

As for PC gaming I remeber I bought a 9800 pro and had to upgrade it in less than a year. Bad for some but im a hardware junkie I like stuff like that. Ive had my 8800 gt for almost a year and crysis even runs great on it.

Said it befire, but I just think gaming is stoppimg growth. Game devs seem afraid to try new things. Thats a new thing for me.

nmaharg

Crysis, GeoW, Heaven;y Sword, Warhawk, de Blob, Madworld, Crackdown, Saints Row, Mirrors Edge, Dead Space, Resistance, Uncharted, Kameo, Viva Pinata, BioShock, Assassin's Creed, Motorstorm, Prey, Rockstar's Table Tennis, Rayman Raving Rabbids, Boom Blox, Rock Band, F.E.A.R., Spore

Braid, Castle Crashers, Geometry Wars, Wik: Fable of Souls, Cloning Clyde, Outpost Kaloki X, PAIN, echochrome, Lost Winds, Everyday Shooter, Every Extra Extend, the Pixel Junk games

Those are just the new IPs that I can think of (most I own) off the top of my head without looking on any other sites or through my games. I am sure if I took the time I would be able to come up with quite a few more.

SpruceCaboose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 SpruceCaboose

The worst thing about this gen is the quality of the pretty looking games. Some are great, some suck, some are hyped beyond belief and get hype scores only to become the but end of an over-rated game joke

Tiefster

Every game that does not get a 1 or a 10 is over-rated to some and under-rated to others.

You cannot and will not ever get everyone to come to a consensus. The popular games get a backlash because our generation loves to see things built up only to rejoice in tearing them down.

Zaibach

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#39 Zaibach
Member since 2007 • 13466 Posts
[QUOTE="Zaibach"][QUOTE="nmaharg"]

this gen is still young give it a bit more time

when it comes to ideas i guess we gamers are to blame for the anti originality virus. gamers dont buy original ideas they go after the same old shooter/rpg thats been re released a million times.

think about psychonauts teeming with great ideas but no one bought it, publishers dont want to risk it. since making games this gen is expensive.

blackdreamhunk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 blackdreamhunk
Member since 2007 • 3880 Posts

I say on the pc side there some games pushing forward but console and multi plat is holding back the pc. I am going to next year the will get the ulmate games due to competaion.

then thereis the all the cheap shots some of the ceo's have been doing.

primateface

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 primateface
Member since 2008 • 1095 Posts

lol i have a 8800 gt and i feel the same.

duke nukem forever cant be too far away.

primateface

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 primateface

SpruceCaboose

like what?

primateface

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 primateface
[QUOTE="nmaharg"]

SpruceCaboose

Crysis, GeoW, Heaven;y Sword, Warhawk, de Blob, Madworld, Crackdown, Saints Row, Mirrors Edge, Dead Space, Resistance, Uncharted, Kameo, Viva Pinata, BioShock, Assassin's Creed, Motorstorm, Prey, Rockstar's Table Tennis, Rayman Raving Rabbids, Boom Blox, Rock Band, F.E.A.R., Spore

Braid, Castle Crashers, Geometry Wars, Wik: Fable of Souls, Cloning Clyde, Outpost Kaloki X, PAIN, echochrome, Lost Winds, Everyday Shooter, Every Extra Extend, the Pixel Junk games

Those are just the new IPs that I can think of (most I own) off the top of my head without looking on any other sites or through my games. I am sure if I took the time I would be able to come up with quite a few more.

you must of just started gaming dude...i been a playstation console owner since it launched in 1995...or whatever year it first released in america....warhawk was a launch game or alittle after launch title...that's not a new ip...what they did in the ps3 game though let you get out of the ship and fight on foot...the first warhawk was flying only.

primateface

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 primateface
personally i think the new ip's are really weak and uninspired.
SmokingBomber1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 SmokingBomber1
Member since 2004 • 206 Posts

Crysis, sir. Crysis.

Boo-freaking-yah!

bobbetybob

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#46 bobbetybob
Member since 2005 • 19370 Posts
That's the reason I bought a Wii...
SmokingBomber1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 SmokingBomber1
Member since 2004 • 206 Posts

Greed ruins everything.loganh92

crysis anyone?

Wouldn't expect someone with a "Resistance" icon to understand.

primateface

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 primateface
[QUOTE="loganh92"][QUOTE="JangoWuzHere"][QUOTE="nmaharg"]

Greed ruins everything.SmokingBomber

crysis anyone?

Wouldn't expect someone with a "Resistance" icon to understand.

lol crysis really didnt do anything revolutionary.

primateface

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 primateface

Crysis, sir. Crysis.

Boo-freaking-yah!

SmokingBomber

boring level design...they could of designed the island more interestingly.

primateface

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 primateface
the first game i remember where you could pick up stuff was on tresspasser 1997 you couldnt throw it...but you had to pick up weapons basically same concept crysis uses.