Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Brah4ever
Member since 2016 • 1704 Posts

I'd say anything pre-6th gen.

6th gen on internet gaming, dual stick triggered and bumper button based controller were standard, and a lot of the games still look fine if displayed on a proper screen.

What do you guys think?

trugs26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#2  Edited By trugs26
Member since 2004 • 7539 Posts

I dunno, but I feel like GCN/PS2/Xbox era feels pretty retro now and they came out 15-ish years ago. So maybe a rule like 15+ years old is retro? I was thinking about using "generations", but generations are becoming ambiguous now and don't have a predetermined lifespan.

Regardless, those generation of consoles is my answer.

Renegade_Fury

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#3 Renegade_Fury
Member since 2003 • 21702 Posts

I define it as being anything that came out at least two gens prior to the present, so gen 6 and earlier.

ni6htmare01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 ni6htmare01
Member since 2005 • 3984 Posts

I don't know.. I count 16 bit (SNES) and before for retro!

kemar7856

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#5 kemar7856
Member since 2004 • 11783 Posts

for me its everything before 32 bit craze snes/gens is where I draw the line

judaspete

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#6 judaspete
Member since 2005 • 7320 Posts

In my mind, it's pre-gen 6. Most of the good games from that era still look good and play well.

But in reality, probably anything over 10 years old.

suicidesn0wman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#7  Edited By suicidesn0wman
Member since 2006 • 7490 Posts

@Renegade_Fury said:

I define it as being anything that came out at least two gens prior to the present, so gen 6 and earlier.

^^^ Pretty much this. ^^^

Avatar image for deactivated-5c1d0901c2aec
deactivated-5c1d0901c2aec

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By deactivated-5c1d0901c2aec
Member since 2016 • 6762 Posts

I still think of PS1/N64 below as retro, which is weird. It really should be bigger by now. :P

I guess PS2/Gamecube and Xbox would be retro, right?

PSP107

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 PSP107
Member since 2007 • 18800 Posts

@jumpaction:

NES-PS2.

bowserjr123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

#10 bowserjr123
Member since 2006 • 2478 Posts

Whenever I think of retro games, I think N64/PS1 and earlier but since PS2/GC/Xbox are already 15 years old, they're going to fall in that category pretty soon.

Telekill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Telekill
Member since 2003 • 12061 Posts

Sadly, PS2/GC/Xbox gen and before is what I would consider retro. I feel old.

DJ-Lafleur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#12 DJ-Lafleur
Member since 2007 • 35604 Posts

@Renegade_Fury said:

This is how I view it too.

Avatar image for deactivated-5c1d0901c2aec
deactivated-5c1d0901c2aec

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 deactivated-5c1d0901c2aec
Member since 2016 • 6762 Posts

@PSP107:

Yeah, that sounds right to me. :)

Man... I feel old. Video games are moving so fast!

Brah4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Brah4ever

@Renegade_Fury said:

Wait so the PS360 are retro once The Switch releases?

Alucard_Prime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#15 Alucard_Prime
Member since 2008 • 10107 Posts

To me retro is Pre-PS1/N64, before 3D games basically, when it was mostly 2D before titles like Mario 64 and Zelda Ocarina.

Brah4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Brah4ever

@Alucard_Prime said:

To me retro is Pre-PS1/N64, before 3D games basically, when it was mostly 2D before titles like Mario 64 and Zelda Ocarina.

I think N64/Saturn/PS1 fit the retro tag mainy because they were early 3D consoles from a game design standpoint.

sHaDyCuBe321

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 sHaDyCuBe321
Member since 2003 • 5769 Posts

SNES or before.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d1e44cf96229
deactivated-5d1e44cf96229

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By deactivated-5d1e44cf96229
Member since 2015 • 2814 Posts

I currently draw the line after the Dreamcast. I consider the Dreamcast and anything older than that to be retro. I don't feel ready to classify PS2/Gamecube/Xbox as retro just yet.

I'm not completely sure why I draw the line after the Dreamcast. Maybe because it marked the end of an era for the two gaming companies that I grew up with since Sega never made another console again after Dreamcast and Nintendo never had a console that was considered "cool" again after the N64. After that, the two newest players in the console marketplace, Sony and Microsoft led the industry.

glez13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 glez13
Member since 2006 • 10310 Posts

Probably anything that is older than last gen is considered retro.

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#20  Edited By lamprey263
Member since 2006 • 44613 Posts

I'd consider sixth gen games retro enough, might depend on game but generally. Funny too since seventh generation with the introduction of online game stores for Xbox 360, PS3 and Wii, we'be seen a flood of both retro games in forms of re-releases of classics, as well as indie games that use a kind of retro aesthetic design choice. Even now we see games like say Broforce that use classic 2D presentation with simple pixelated presentation in world, characters, and using modern technology to push it kind of a hyper presentation unseen in older games without substantial framerate drops and game slowdowns. Or heck, Shovel Knight might be the best and well know example of such design choices.

Avatar image for turtlethetaffer
turtlethetaffer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 144

#21 turtlethetaffer
Member since 2009 • 18973 Posts

To me, it's anything beyond the previous generation. so anything pre 360/ PS3/ Wii, which means I'm old as ****.

dynamitecop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 dynamitecop
Member since 2004 • 6395 Posts

@Renegade_Fury said:

I'd say this is in line with my views on it.

Seabas989

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#23 Seabas989
Member since 2009 • 13565 Posts

Anything before the Sega Saturn.

Avatar image for deactivated-5f26ed7cf0697
deactivated-5f26ed7cf0697

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By deactivated-5f26ed7cf0697
Member since 2002 • 7110 Posts

5th generation and before that

Avatar image for drummerdave9099
drummerdave9099

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 drummerdave9099
Member since 2010 • 4606 Posts

I'd define any system older than last gen to be retro at this point. So Dreamcast, PS2, Xbox, and Gamecube, and GBA are all retro.

ConanTheStoner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 ConanTheStoner
Member since 2011 • 23718 Posts

Yeah, gen 5 is where I start seeing things as retro. Not even sure why lol.

ArchoNils2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 ArchoNils2
Member since 2005 • 10534 Posts

There is no universal definition.

To me there are next gen (Switch, Scorpio?), current gen (Ps4, xOne, WiiU, Vita, 3DS), last gen (Ps3, x360, Wii, PSP and NDS) and everything before it is Retro.

xxgunslingerxx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 xxgunslingerxx
Member since 2005 • 4275 Posts

I always thought of 16bit as retro but honestly it should change to include the 32bit/64 bit era now.

BIOKILLER123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By BIOKILLER123
Member since 2010 • 1077 Posts

Imo, 6th generation and below I consider retro.

daredevils2k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 daredevils2k
Member since 2015 • 5001 Posts

My opinion would be from 8bit era to ps1. Right before FPs became the norm

jg4xchamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#31  Edited By jg4xchamp
Member since 2006 • 64039 Posts

@ConanTheStoner said:

Because Gen 6 is secretly like the 90s, it never went away. Just like the 00s were a slightly updated 90s, gen 7 and gen 8 outside of some minor exceptions, were just more of what we were getting from gen 6, and then 3D Gaming stopped evolving. The business model changed, the inside baseball stuff was modified for quality of life changes, but core concepts? It's all shit we already had.

The return of 2d games was the saving grace of gen 7 and 8.

Only thing we dropped from gen 6 was swinging chandeliers for platforming. Not gonna lie, for a brief second of replaying DMC4, I did miss those things lol

pelvist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#32 pelvist
Member since 2010 • 9001 Posts

Iv been playing video games since the early 80s, for me anything N64 or older is retro.

WreckEm711

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 WreckEm711
Member since 2010 • 7362 Posts

@suicidesn0wman said:
@Renegade_Fury said:

^^^ Pretty much this. ^^^

Agreed, this is how I have always thought about it as well

Brah4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Brah4ever

@jg4xchamp said:
@ConanTheStoner said:

Because Gen 6 is secretly like the 90s, it never went away. Just like the 00s were a slightly updated 90s, gen 7 and gen 8 outside of some minor exceptions, were just more of what we were getting from gen 6, and then 3D Gaming stopped evolving. The business model changed, the inside baseball stuff was modified for quality of life changes, but core concepts? It's all shit we already had.

Only thing we dropped from gen 6 was swinging chandeliers for platforming. Not gonna lie, for a brief second of replaying DMC4, I did miss those things lol

lol, this whole post is right on the money.

PAL360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

#35 PAL360
Member since 2007 • 30570 Posts

5th gen and before for me.

Coolyfett

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 36

#36 Coolyfett
Member since 2008 • 6276 Posts

@brah4ever: Coolyfett would say Gen 6 and prior are all retro legacy systems. So PS2, Xbox, GameCube and Gameboy Advance and older are all retro.

osan0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 osan0
Member since 2004 • 17839 Posts

@Coolyfett: yep basically what i was going to say. man i feel old.

HalcyonScarlet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#38 HalcyonScarlet
Member since 2011 • 13668 Posts

Now I think about it, not sure. I think subconsciously, I thought of pre SNES 2d and Game Boy as retro, so 8 bit really.

I think of "Retro" as 'Retro hard'. Everything after that is still pretty much accessible and playable.

I suppose in my mind, old and retro weren't the same thing. I mean many indie games are SNES standard.

So I don't know.

HalcyonScarlet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 HalcyonScarlet

@jg4xchamp said:
@ConanTheStoner said:

Like what sort of 2d games did you think did that.

Did 2d really go away? There may have been less platformers I guess on 6th gen consoles. I think the PC has always had incoming 2d games of some sort.

There has been some interesting developments with 2d I think. So they take old concepts and make use of the newer technology, like more capable CPUs and physics engines. Trials and Trine come to mind, but I can't say a lot about Trine, I haven't played it too much.

I wish I had a NES back when it was the new thing. Because now those games are very hard and difficult to get into. I gave up on Mega Man X on the SNES after a while. I enjoyed it and liked the charging of weapons and the mechanics, but the NES Mega Man games are something else. I was suprised that even Ninja Gaiden on the NES had good mechanics, and I think it's better than the Shinobi games.

On a related note to the sentence I put in bold, while I'm still yet to be convinced of the 8th gen, 2d games or not, I think the 7th gen is one of the best we've had, I mean I'd say 2d games made it even better, but 'saving grace' seems... idk. But for me, current gen is a bit disappointing. I think the 6th gen, while good at the time, is over rated. Outside of a few games, I don't feel like I'd go back to it. Yet I could imagine I'd be more likely to go back to almost any other gen to try games.

jg4xchamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#40 jg4xchamp
Member since 2006 • 64039 Posts
@HalcyonScarlet said:

Did 2d really go away? There may have been less platformers I guess on 6th gen consoles. I think the PC has always had incoming 2d games of some sort.

There has been some interesting developments with 2d I think. So they take old concepts and make use of the newer technology, like more capable CPUs and physics engines. Trials and Trine come to mind, but I can't say a lot about Trine, I haven't played it too much.

I wish I had a NES back when it was the new thing. Because now those games are very hard and difficult to get into. I gave up on Mega Man X on the SNES after a while. I enjoyed it and liked the charging of weapons and the mechanics, but the NES Mega Man games are something else. I was suprised that even Ninja Gaiden on the NES had good mechanics, and I think it's better than the Shinobi games.

On a related note to the sentence I put in bold, while I'm still yet to be convinced of the 8th gen, 2d games or not, I think the 7th gen is one of the best we've had, I mean I'd say 2d games made it even better, but 'saving grace' seems... idk. But for me, current gen is a bit disappointing. I think the 6th gen, while good at the time, is over rated. Outside of a few games, I don't feel like I'd go back to it. Yet I could imagine I'd be more likely to go back to almost any other gen to try games.

Don't get me wrong I like plenty of games in gen 7, but Gen 3-6 (and in contrast, I think Gen 5 secretly sucks) I could say we made dramatic steps forward in terms of where gaming was going, and gen 7 we maybe flirted with big advancements and then it outright stopped. Which is now an issue in gen 8 that's become less and less excuseable. Because we get plenty of good games, but I can't think of the last time (besides VR) where we had a game that felt really forward thinking or inventive in the 3d space from anything else we played.

As for the return of 2d, it's because fundamentally we created a market during gen 5 and 6, where because all the heavy hitters moved on to 3d gaming, a lot of quality 2d was some obscure ass PC game or handheld stuff. The beauty of last gen was besides just getting a Rayman back and Nintendo trying some 2d platformers on a console, we also got things like Super Meat Boy and Braid. The former being just a tightly designed video game (an excellent one at that), and the latter being a type of game we really didn't get in 2d's heyday. It sort of pointed out, hey there were still a few more ideas left in that well. Plus because of the simplicity 2d allows, you don't need a monster team on the project. 3d by its very nature is complicated. Which has led to some bitchin rogue-lites, games like FTL, or dope nostalgia trips like Shovel Knight. And then you get some more inventive action stuff like Hotline Miami, 2d stealth games like Mark of the Ninja and Gunpoint, and the Rainbow Six planning phase turned into a 2d top down game in fucking Door Kickers (which is rad). For whatever reason, the gaming industry barely recognized "hey, all this horse power will allow us to do stuff in a 2d game we couldn't do on the snes n genesis"

Having the indie space have a bigger spot light and come into its own last gen and this gen, has more or less carried this industry the last I want to say about 8 years. With no middle market, and entire genres dying off in the 60 dollar space, the independent side had to pick up the slack, and it did. And now we're seeing even more diverse and bigger projects, with things like Kerbal, Planet Coaster, Cities Skylines last year. I don't think we'll ever get an indie equivalent of GTA any time soon, but it's baby steps.

And yeah man true genuine classics don't age, I'm a staunch believer that "aging" is a bullshit concept people use to apologize for games that actually weren't that good. Reality is that short coming that is now bothering you was always there, you just didn't care as much because

A: You were a kid
B: It was considered revolutionary and/or pretty, so you gave less of a ****

But stuff like Mega Man? That game is still fucking satisfying, even the punishing nature of having to restart levels if you die to the boss 2 or 3 times.

LegatoSkyheart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 1

#41 LegatoSkyheart
Member since 2009 • 29733 Posts

@trugs26 said:

I dunno, but I feel like GCN/PS2/Xbox era feels pretty retro now and they came out 15-ish years ago. So maybe a rule like 15+ years old is retro? I was thinking about using "generations", but generations are becoming ambiguous now and don't have a predetermined lifespan.

I would give the PS2 era another Generation before they become "retro" though I shouldn't necessarily say you're "wrong" either.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#42 uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 59088 Posts

Seems context dependent on age rather than something fixed. To a 20 year old, an N64 or gamecube will hold more nostalgia value as it will probably be their first console they played as a child.

For someone such as myself, from Europe (where these systems where popular) it's the Master System and the beloved Game Gear.

HalcyonScarlet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 HalcyonScarlet
@jg4xchamp said:
@HalcyonScarlet said:

Don't get me wrong I like plenty of games in gen 7, but Gen 3-6 (and in contrast, I think Gen 5 secretly sucks) I could say we made dramatic steps forward in terms of where gaming was going, and gen 7 we maybe flirted with big advancements and then it outright stopped. Which is now an issue in gen 8 that's become less and less excuseable. Because we get plenty of good games, but I can't think of the last time (besides VR) where we had a game that felt really forward thinking or inventive in the 3d space from anything else we played.

As for the return of 2d, it's because fundamentally we created a market during gen 5 and 6, where because all the heavy hitters moved on to 3d gaming, a lot of quality 2d was some obscure ass PC game or handheld stuff. The beauty of last gen was besides just getting a Rayman back and Nintendo trying some 2d platformers on a console, we also got things like Super Meat Boy and Braid. The former being just a tightly designed video game (an excellent one at that), and the latter being a type of game we really didn't get in 2d's heyday. It sort of pointed out, hey there were still a few more ideas left in that well. Plus because of the simplicity 2d allows, you don't need a monster team on the project. 3d by its very nature is complicated. Which has led to some bitchin rogue-lites, games like FTL, or dope nostalgia trips like Shovel Knight. And then you get some more inventive action stuff like Hotline Miami, 2d stealth games like Mark of the Ninja and Gunpoint, and the Rainbow Six planning phase turned into a 2d top down game in fucking Door Kickers (which is rad). For whatever reason, the gaming industry barely recognized "hey, all this horse power will allow us to do stuff in a 2d game we couldn't do on the snes n genesis"

Having the indie space have a bigger spot light and come into its own last gen and this gen, has more or less carried this industry the last I want to say about 8 years. With no middle market, and entire genres dying off in the 60 dollar space, the independent side had to pick up the slack, and it did. And now we're seeing even more diverse and bigger projects, with things like Kerbal, Planet Coaster, Cities Skylines last year. I don't think we'll ever get an indie equivalent of GTA any time soon, but it's baby steps.

And yeah man true genuine classics don't age, I'm a staunch believer that "aging" is a bullshit concept people use to apologize for games that actually weren't that good. Reality is that short coming that is now bothering you was always there, you just didn't care as much because

A: You were a kid

B: It was considered revolutionary and/or pretty, so you gave less of a ****

But stuff like Mega Man? That game is still fucking satisfying, even the punishing nature of having to restart levels if you die to the boss 2 or 3 times.

I like your use of words 'Dope' and 'Rad', lol :-P.

When it comes to, 'do games age?'. I think they can, like a lot of the early 3D games aren't easy for me to go back to. I'll play Jedi Outcast and Academy, still, but I don't think I could play the original Jedi Knight games for example. I didn't get to play them at the time. That said, I could still see myself enjoying some N64 games. And I have this thing for the first Tomb Raider game. I don't know if it's nostalgia, but I'd rather play that, then TR Anniversary.

I think some 3D genres that constantly evolve don't aways age well, like first person shooters or some racing genres. Like I wouldn't go back to the old Toca Racing series. I don't think it's true all the time, like I've been going back to old Pro Evo and Fifa games, because the new ones are just pure sim now, they aren't fun to me, it feels like the older ones were almost a different genre of arcade football games.

I don't think 2d games age. They are always playable and as flawed and as good as they were when they came out. I've played through Super Mario World more times than I know, I have all the secrets in the back of my head.

As for Mega Man, mind I'm playing them for the first time now, but sections seem so tight with the timing, that I had to wonder at the time if they were meant to be passed. I forget how demanding 8 bit games were until I got the NES Classic Mini. Outside of Mario, the games are tough. But they say it has problem in that, the original was meant for a CRT Television and there is no lag with that. The average LCD TV isn't like that and you need to practically have perfect frame timing to play NES games. This guy did a punch out test, where he beat it on the Original NES, but struggled on the HDMI NES Classic Mini.

trugs26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 trugs26
Member since 2004 • 7539 Posts

@LegatoSkyheart said:
@trugs26 said:

I would give the PS2 era another Generation before they become "retro" though I shouldn't necessarily say you're "wrong" either.

Yeah you might be right. It's definitely on the cusp. So I can go with 20+ years.

Boddicker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 Boddicker
Member since 2012 • 4458 Posts

Anything pre-last gen is retro to me. Let's just keep it simple.

PimpHand_Gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#46 PimpHand_Gamer
Member since 2014 • 3048 Posts

Pre PS2 and Xbox. Same for PC, pre year 2000

djura

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 djura
Member since 2016 • 542 Posts

Very interesting but tricky question to answer. To some degree, I think retro refers to stuff that you can't buy new anymore at retail. So, that does mean Wii, PS3, and Xbox 360 fit into the category (albeit loosely).

It's true that it is hard to think about that generation as "retro", but you know, the game industry moves pretty fast. I feel like it was yesterday that I picked up my GameCube at launch! But now it's definitely retro in my mind.

I guess there are degrees of retro too. I mean, if you're a collector, then picking up GameCube stuff is totally different than picking up NES stuff (for example).

aroxx_ab

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 aroxx_ab
Member since 2005 • 13236 Posts

Everything that is not current gen

l34052

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 l34052
Member since 2005 • 3906 Posts

For me it's the 70s and 80s consoles and 8bit computers from my childhood.

Brah4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By Brah4ever

@HalcyonScarlet

What makes Gen 6 one of the best gens in that you had four developers with four very different consoles, literally each console had it's own batches of games and games types that made one another unique.

The developers were more risk taking, whereas today most of what we get are safe open world games and shooters, a lot of the devs (a lot of which are now dead due to the events in gen 7) were experimenting with various new IPs and game types.

There used to be multiple variants of various genres, racers for example. Today all we have is Forza and Grand Turismo (barely). This wasn't always the case, there were futuristic racers, rally, street racing, etc. Sports games, had multiple variants as well. Heck, even arcade games such as Power Stone, Fight Night, or Def Jam Fight For NY were doing well.

Online gaming became a standard on consoles and there were zero microtransactions or any garbage like that, the games worked just as fine as they do today, 16 player lobbies, voice chat, etc.

The offline portions of the games weren't butchered and hell a majority of games allowed you to bring online guess (up to 4, for free) with you, a feature that is now dead due to businesses seeking profits saying "have them buy their own console, their own LIVE/PSN account, and game!". A game launching online only back then with 6 maps (think Overwatch) would have been considered insane back then, but today it's common practice. $60 for a half game.

Japan and the west were firing out games out left/right, Japan is former shell of itself compared to the past.

RE4, DMC, Shenmue, Jet Set Radio, Ninja Gaiden, Phantom Dust, SoTC, Kingdom Hearts, Viewtiful Joe, Phantasy Star Online, MGS2/3, Metroid Prime, etc were just a few of the games they were firing out.

EA/Ubi firing out games like Splinter Chaos Theory/Burnout, Ghost Recon, Rainbow Six 3, etc.

Midway, THQ, Acclaim (as well as many others) popping out games as well.

Microsoft actually made more than just Halo, Gears, Forza. They had Phantom Dust, Crimson Skies, Mech Assault, Fable, Project Gotham Racing, etc.

Today? We have 2 consoles which are literally interchangeable for the most part, PS4/X1 that are pretty much PCs and have zero identity since they lack exclusives and a Nintendo console, the Wii U that has been dead since it launched. Absolutely abysmal 3rd party on the Wii U, system was lucky to get 3 good games a year. When I look at the catalogs whether it be on the shelves for the PS4/X1, I see literally zero creative amongst these games, most of them are just rehashed sequels from last gen that don't really play much different. Most being open world, shooters, or sports and offering little to the gamer who wants a more arcadey experience with friends locally. Consoles used to be about sharing experiences with friends and family now they are these singular 1 player only devices with the exception of like Madden, 2K, and FIFA.

Game budgets rose extremely high last gen and on top of CoD 4/Wii casual craze occurring many devs went bankrupt and the developers which survived last gen became more risk adverse and prefer to do things that guarantee sales, sequels and studying what's "trending" in the media.

NIntendo is irrelevant and would rather fire out Yoshi Wooly World or another NSMB than take risk on a Metroid Prime or F-Zero GX.

Without the indie market, gen 7 would have faltered faster than it did (it died around 2011ish tbh) and gen 8 would be more than a joke than it really is.

Most of the mechanics from game controls to online play came from gen 6, just take a look at your controller for example.

Gen 7 killed the AA but market but it's for sure doing better this gen than it was last where literally 90% of games were a CoD clone or Gears grey/brown clone.