What difficulty mode do you play games on?

• 88 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

drekula2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 0

#1 drekula2
Member since 2012 • 3349 Posts

I play on Easy Mode or Normal Mode. I play games for the story, the atmosphere, the characters. I simply don't enjoy playing the same level twice in a row because I failed to press the buttons in the right order.

How about you?

lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#2 lostrib
Member since 2009 • 49999 Posts

start on normal mode, adjust it if needed

Avatar image for chessmaster1989
chessmaster1989

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#3 chessmaster1989
Member since 2008 • 30203 Posts

Usually start on hardest and adjust down if needed.

parkurtommo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#4  Edited By parkurtommo
Member since 2009 • 28295 Posts

Always normal mode.

Actually I did play Insane mode in Uncharted 2. That took a while. That was the first and last time though.

IgGy621985

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#5 IgGy621985
Member since 2004 • 5922 Posts

First play at normal. Replay at higher level.

blueinheaven

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#6 blueinheaven  Online
Member since 2008 • 5554 Posts

Always try normal first though lately have been noticing some games 'normal' mode is actually 'easy' mode (hello Witcher 3).

drekula2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 drekula2

I feel like in the gaming community, there's sort of a macho stigma where if you're having trouble completing a game, you're a p***y.

I probably could complete lots of games on Normal and even Hard mode. I just don't want to spend 20 hours completing a game that I can complete in 10, as repeating the same levels over and over again results in poor pacing.

Sushiglutton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#9  Edited By Sushiglutton
Member since 2009 • 9879 Posts

Depends a bit. Some games like Arkham I always go for the hardest available because I know they will be relatively easy. Cinematic games like Uncharted I really don't see the point in turning up the challenge as you wanna have a smooth thrill ride. HnS on the other hand becomes pointless imo unless you turn the difficulty up, so there I try to go for hard.

GarGx1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 GarGx1
Member since 2011 • 10934 Posts

Depends on the game and sometimes the genre, most games I start on normal and crank up if it's too easy. I.P's such as Total War, which I've been playing since the original Shogun, I'll play on hard or very hard.

Avatar image for ReadingRainbow4
ReadingRainbow4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By ReadingRainbow4
Member since 2012 • 18733 Posts

Usually hard or above. Games are just too damn easy otherwise.

blueinheaven

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By blueinheaven  Online
Member since 2008 • 5554 Posts

@drekula2 said:

I feel like in the gaming community, there's sort of a macho stigma where if you're having trouble completing a game, you're a p***y.

I probably could complete lots of games on Normal and even Hard mode. I just don't want to spend 20 hours completing a game that I can complete in 10, as repeating the same levels over and over again results in poor pacing.

It's your game, your experience, you paid for it play it the way you most enjoy it.

Most of the people online claiming to play everything on hard and pwn everything are probably lying anyway.

Ross_the_Boss6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Ross_the_Boss6
Member since 2009 • 4056 Posts

I like to play RPGs on the hardest difficulty. Certain gameplay mechanics start to become unimportant playing on normal (like alchemy in Witcher 3). It's no fun that way.

Shorter games I like to play on hard difficulty and then replay on the hardest if I thought it was really good.

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#14  Edited By lamprey263
Member since 2006 • 44641 Posts

Always play normal on first playthrough. Usually do hard if there's meaningful achievements to be had on second playthrough, or if I simply want more challenge out of it and wish to keep playing. Usually all games do for harder difficulty is decrease player damage output, increase enemy damage output.

One game I can at least remember playing on easy (as I was warned to do it in advance) was Persona 3. And it made sense, "normal" is fucking hard. Especially since instant spell kills can ruin a lot of dungeon crawling and grinding success in a flash, at least there's those 10 revives to help avoid massive frustration that you don't get on normal.

jun_aka_pekto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By jun_aka_pekto
Member since 2010 • 25255 Posts

Hardest. A handful of games might need toning down such as Hard Reset. But, I stick with hardest most of the time.

drekula2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 drekula2

@blueinheaven said:

Most of the people online claiming to play everything on hard and pwn everything are probably lying anyway.

no doubt. just like jocks talking about how many cheerleaders they bang

Avatar image for deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20
deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 56

#17 deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20
Member since 2006 • 82724 Posts

Easy Mode.

I don't really care.

Pikminmaniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#18  Edited By Pikminmaniac
Member since 2006 • 11513 Posts

I require a good challenge to my games. If I could play Retro Studio's Donkey Kong games on Hard mode out of the gate, I would. That mode and the speed run medals, and the hidden collectibles are what make those games the best platformers around.

If a game doesn't provide any push back, then it feels like I'm just going through the motions. What's the point? Story really matters the least to me so that's never really a factor. Lore that you find and piece together on your own is a different matter though because it's about my interaction and interpretation.

All in all, I'm an "after-credits" gamer. I find that most games only get good after the credits roll. The campaign is just something I have to quickly get through in order to get to the good stuff. A good example of this is the Batman Arkham games. I just race through their boring campaigns as quickly as I can so that I can get to playing what I really care about: the riddles, Riddler trophies, and challenge maps. I don't want no stupid hand-holdy story getting in the way of me interacting and experiencing a game. I consider Batman Arkham City pretty much the best game to come out of last gen, but it's because of everything it gives you besides the campaign.

So given that a game has a story mode, I like to start on medium level so that I can blow through the game and get to the good stuff after. Story modes tend to unlock things like areas on a map or challenge stages etc.

Renegade_Fury

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#19 Renegade_Fury
Member since 2003 • 21703 Posts

Normal for the first playthrough, and then I crank it up if I like the game enough. If it's a series I'm already familiar with, then I start with the harder difficulties from the get go.

Snugenz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Snugenz
Member since 2006 • 13388 Posts

Depends entirely on the game, but i'll happily play easy mode if i just want to play through a (typically story driven) game at an easy pace. In games where difficulty adds to them like Bloodborne i'll keep challenging myself by doing harder runs with restriction/conditions but that suits that type of game.

happyduds77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 happyduds77
Member since 2012 • 1688 Posts

Normal as I personally feel like it's how the game was initially designed to be played and then made artificially easier or more difficult.

360ru13r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 360ru13r
Member since 2008 • 1856 Posts

Normal. I don't want to play the game on struggle mode. Now fighters I'll play on the hardest difficulty.

DocSanchez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#23 DocSanchez
Member since 2013 • 5557 Posts

I always start on normal, but can be coaxed with the promise of a platinum trophy to try hard mode.

I don't necessarily need to be challenged to a degree where I have to pull out insane skill, I'm usually gaming with something going on in the background as a distraction.

Don't try easy mode unless its a game I've played a lot and at that point I'm completing or just exploring.

UltimateImp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 28

#24  Edited By UltimateImp
Member since 2015 • 1192 Posts

Hardest, usually. If the game has an absurd and stupid difficulty formula, like just reducing your damage and increasing enemy damage, without adjusting their AI. Then, I just don't give a **** and just play it on normal.

@charizard1605 said:

Easy Mode.

I don't really care.

Does that include your swan song named P4G?

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

@ultimateimp: I've played that one on each, I play each game on Easy the first time I am playing it.

LadyBlue

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 LadyBlue
Member since 2012 • 4943 Posts

Normal on the first play. Then, I up the difficulty on the second run... assuming the game is worth playing again.

UltimateImp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 UltimateImp

@charizard1605: Do you usually/always play your games more than once?

drinkerofjuice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#28 drinkerofjuice
Member since 2007 • 4567 Posts

Usually just a notch below the hardest difficulty available, but with certain genres I go all in.

Bigboi500

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#29 Bigboi500
Member since 2007 • 35550 Posts

I'm so hardcore that a proper mode doesn't exist to fulfill my level of manhood, so I reverse wall tacks and tape them to my fingers when I play so that I feel pain with every button push. The blood is a good way to give something back to the games I'm so passionate about.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

@ultimateimp said:

@charizard1605: Do you usually/always play your games more than once?

Nah. Only if I really like them.

UltimateImp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 UltimateImp

@charizard1605: Do you really suck that much, lol? Do you like the notoriously difficult series that is Souls?

SolidTy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By SolidTy
Member since 2005 • 49991 Posts

@drekula2: Hard or Very Hard. Usually I have to unlock Very Hard by beating HARD which is annoying and many times I don't go back. HARD is basically Normal tbh.

Let's be honest, there are WAY too many great games out there. I don't have freakin' time to keep playing games on easy, then normal, then hard. I'm on to the next adventure. I live a busy life, I'm lucky to get through a game ONE TIME. I am not going to make that ONE TIME boring for myself, especially since HARD MODE 99% is actually easy.

Normal is way too easy for oldschool gamers like myself. There is no challenge and I sort of feel like I'm being drug around by my nose.

For the record, HARD is usually too easy as well but it's usually the highest option when first plugging in a game. I want to enjoy the game, take it all in, but I want to also feel like I'm playing the game and not watching a damn video. It's a tough thing to juggle, but games are WAY TOO EASY THESE DAYS. How can we get better playing on normal (which is really just super easy)? You don't improve much and personally I feel like I'm playing against a 4 year old. I don't think I've ever played a game on easy, unless the game was so broken Easy was actually super hard.

If a game is way too easy, I get bored. I may as well watch someone else play it on youtube. If a game is way too hard, yes, I would get aggro, but that hardly happens in todays games. Companies cater to the biggest audience, and that audience has poor hand eye coordination.

One day I will be an old man with poor hand eye coordination. Maybe I will have the shakes. When that day comes, I will play on easy with my grandchildren and remember when I had bad ass skills and I pushed myself. I'm competitive though and I know a lot aren't, so it's all good.

Start Hard and adjust down if needed.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

@ultimateimp said:

@charizard1605: Do you really suck that much, lol? Do you like the notoriously difficult series that is Souls?

Yeah, I love Souls.

I don't suck, I just have to balance my playing games with a very busy lifestyle. I play a lot of games (a lot of times due to necessity) and getting unnecessarily stuck on some part of the game for a semblance of challenge serves me no purpose, except for giving me a false, projected sense of cyber bravado and e-cred, both things I can easily do without.

onesiphorus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#34 onesiphorus
Member since 2014 • 5280 Posts

I start with easy. Then if I am experienced enough, I increase to "normal," then "hard."

LadyBlue

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 LadyBlue
Member since 2012 • 4943 Posts

@onesiphorus said:

I start with easy. Then if I am experienced enough, I increase to "normal," then "hard."

That's way too many playthroughs for a game. :P

GameboyTroy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#36 GameboyTroy
Member since 2011 • 9736 Posts

Normal at first and then on hard next and if there's a harder setting I'll probably play it on that too.

UltimateImp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By UltimateImp

@charizard1605 said:

Yeah, I love Souls.

I don't suck, I just have to balance my playing games with a very busy lifestyle. I play a lot of games (a lot of times due to necessity) and getting unnecessarily stuck on some part of the game for a semblance of challenge serves me no purpose, except for giving me a false, projected sense of cyber bravado and e-cred, both things I can easily do without.

Can you elaborate on what do you mean by what I've bolded? Or is it too personal? If yes, then you don't have to. Also, do you wanna share PSN-NID accounts, I'll add you.

hehe101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#38 hehe101
Member since 2011 • 734 Posts

start on the mid (usually normal)

Legend002

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#39  Edited By Legend002
Member since 2007 • 13405 Posts

Usually easy or normal; I am more of a story guy.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

@ultimateimp said:
@charizard1605 said:

Yeah, I love Souls.

Can you elaborate on what do you mean by what I've bolded? Or is it too personal? If yes, then you don't have to. Also, do you wanna share PSN-NID accounts, I'll add you.

I have a job reviewing games for a website, so at any given time, I am swamped with titles to play, many of which I often need to be done with by a certain date. Unnecessarily selecting harder difficulties makes no sense, in that context.

That plus I personally play games to unwind- unless it is a very specific kind of game tailored towards providing the player a challenge, I am not playing the games to have my twitch response skills tested, for instance. Yes, I want them to be challenging, and I don't want them to play themselves for me, but I am not going to go too overboard on that.

I'll message you my IDs.

Avatar image for deactivated-57d8401f17c55
deactivated-57d8401f17c55

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#41 deactivated-57d8401f17c55
Member since 2012 • 7221 Posts

Normal then hard then punishment.

Heil68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 Heil68
Member since 2004 • 60718 Posts

@Legend002 said:

Usually easy or normal; I am more of a story guy.

Me too.

Avatar image for deactivated-57ad0e5285d73
deactivated-57ad0e5285d73

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 deactivated-57ad0e5285d73
Member since 2009 • 21398 Posts

Most games seem to have the proper difficulty hidden in the options menu. When you look at how the ai behaves on most "normal" settings it almost always looks as though it is waiting for the player. "Hard" difficulty tends to feel like what was intended. Normal feels like there is a cheat code in place for the player--as if the casual buyer won't even bother going into the menu. Even menus will say things like "if it is your first time" or something like that. And then on hard it may say something like "for seasoned players."

However there is a cheapness to some of the hardest difficulties. Halo on legendary is beatable, but from my experience it just ends up turning into how to exploit the game. Series plays best on Heroic, imo.

jg4xchamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#44  Edited By jg4xchamp
Member since 2006 • 64040 Posts

Depends on the game, genre, etc.

Arkham Knight for instance was hard right out of the gate. Something like Forza Horizon 2 I'll dial back to Normal.

GameboyTroy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 GameboyTroy
Member since 2011 • 9736 Posts

@charizard1605 said:
@ultimateimp said:
@charizard1605 said:

Yeah, I love Souls.

I have a job reviewing games for a website, so at any given time, I am swamped with titles to play, many of which I often need to be done with by a certain date. Unnecessarily selecting harder difficulties makes no sense, in that context.

That plus I personally play games to unwind- unless it is a very specific kind of game tailored towards providing the player a challenge, I am not playing the games to have my twitch response skills tested, for instance. Yes, I want them to be challenging, and I don't want them to play themselves for me, but I am not going to go too overboard on that.

I'll message you my IDs.

Is it for this site?

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

@GameboyTroy said:
@charizard1605 said:
@ultimateimp said:
@charizard1605 said:

Yeah, I love Souls.

I'll message you my IDs.

Is it for this site?

Nah, different site.

AzatiS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#47 AzatiS
Member since 2004 • 14969 Posts

Normal

Ten_Pints

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#48 Ten_Pints
Member since 2014 • 4072 Posts

Normal most of the time or slightly above, except the games where the AI cheats.

I still remember one game on PS1 (Spec Ops I think) where the difficulty settings were the wrong way around, I played in on easy mode thinking this game is quite challenging, how bad is it on hard mode, so i changed it and the game was easier... the actual ****. Good times.

intotheminx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#49 intotheminx
Member since 2014 • 2608 Posts

Depends on the type of game usually. If it's a platformer with a difficulty setting I usually turn it up to the max. Otherwise, I leave it on default, which is usually normal.

clone01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 clone01
Member since 2003 • 29827 Posts

@drekula2 said:

I play on Easy Mode or Normal Mode. I play games for the story, the atmosphere, the characters. I simply don't enjoy playing the same level twice in a row because I failed to press the buttons in the right order.

How about you?

Usually just normal.