what did you think of halo reach's campaign?

• 93 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

arbitor365

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 0

#1 arbitor365
Member since 2009 • 2726 Posts

in my opinion, it was pretty weak. I recently got the chance to finish it since my brother loaned me his copy. up until this point, I had only gotten a about a third of the way done with the campaign. I recently finished the rest of the thing and I have to say that it was nothing amazing. in fact, I actually like Halo 3's campaign better and I thought that one was a step down from the first two games' campaigns. So, I dont see why many people view this game as the "magnum opus" of the franchise.

now, it wasnt a bad campaign (like ODST..... bleagh) but, in my opinion, it wasnt on par with most other big FPS games today like bulletstorm, killzone 2 or 3, battlefield 2, the modern warfare games, or even the first two halo games. I honestly expected the campaign in Halo reach to pick up later on and so I gave the game the benefit of the doubt (since so many people swear up and down that its the best of the franchise) and I gave it a 9/10 rating. now that I have completed it, I am seriously reconsidering that rating and will probably knock it down to an 8.5/10.

kussese

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#2 kussese
Member since 2008 • 1555 Posts

Most of it was okay. I've always played Halo for the multiplayer anyway, though.

The ending, however, was phenomenal.

incuensuocha

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3 incuensuocha
Member since 2009 • 1514 Posts
I found all three of the Master Chief games' campaigns better.
linkin_guy109

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#4 linkin_guy109
Member since 2005 • 8864 Posts

i really liked it, it was my second favorite halo campaign after CE, i felt it was really well put together and was pretty darn fun and had a few really challenging parts

wolverine4262

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 wolverine4262
Member since 2004 • 20832 Posts
Why is "The best EVAR!!!!" the only enthusiastic one? I think its better than good but not the best by any means... sigh...
DreamCryotank

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 DreamCryotank
Member since 2011 • 1829 Posts

Was great in co op.

NeonNinja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 115

#7 NeonNinja
Member since 2005 • 17318 Posts

I like it. I enjoyed it a lot and replayed it and still play it now and again for Challenges.

I prefer Halo 3's campaign, but I like the Reach campaign as well. So far, none of the Halo campaigns have disappointed me. They've all been enjoyable. The ending in Reach however is spectacular. Very well thought-out and making your final stand centered around gameplay as opposed to a cutscene just adds that much more weight to it all.

DarkLink77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 DarkLink77
Member since 2004 • 32731 Posts

I like it. I enjoyed it a lot and replayed it and still play it now and again for Challenges.

I prefer Halo 3's campaign, but I like the Reach campaign as well. So far, none of the Halo campaigns have disappointed me. They've all been enjoyable. The ending in Reach however is spectacular. Very well thought-out and making your final stand centered around gameplay as opposed to a cutscene just adds that much more weight to it all.

NeonNinja
Basically this. Played it through twice, had a lot of fun both times, but I found Halo: CE and Halo 3's better. Halo 2's ranges from the amazing to the flat out terrible, and ODST's campaign is okay (though I liked the story). Reach's campaign falls somewhere in the middle for me.
Avatar image for Stevo_the_gamer
Stevo_the_gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 49

#9 Stevo_the_gamer  Moderator
Member since 2004 • 49595 Posts
I thought it was great; just shy of superb due to the lack of scarab battles.
Renegade_Fury

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Renegade_Fury
Member since 2003 • 21708 Posts

Not as good as CE, but way better than 2's, 3's, and ODST's.

DarkLink77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 DarkLink77
I thought it was great; just shy of superb due to the lack of scarab battles. Stevo_the_gamer
This is the one omission that irked the hell out of me. I couldn't believe they did that.
Stevo_the_gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Stevo_the_gamer  Moderator
[QUOTE="Stevo_the_gamer"]I thought it was great; just shy of superb due to the lack of scarab battles. DarkLink77
This is the one omission that irked the hell out of me. I couldn't believe they did that.

Yeah, musicalmac and I debated that few months back. We were both stumped by the omission... especially how epic it was to fight two scarabs in Halo 3. Then we get to Halo Reach and nodda! What the heck is that!
DarkLink77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 DarkLink77
[QUOTE="DarkLink77"][QUOTE="Stevo_the_gamer"]I thought it was great; just shy of superb due to the lack of scarab battles. Stevo_the_gamer

Yeah, musicalmac and I debated that few months back. We were both stumped by the omission... especially how epic it was to fight two scarabs in Halo 3. Then we get to Halo Reach and nodda! What the heck is that!

Scarab fights were so fun, too. :( Kind of depressing, but from a level-design standpoint, Reach is probably the best Halo game. And the space battles were very fun. :D
wolverine4262

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 wolverine4262
[QUOTE="DarkLink77"][QUOTE="Stevo_the_gamer"]I thought it was great; just shy of superb due to the lack of scarab battles. Stevo_the_gamer

Didnt they get a lot of flak for using them so much in h3?
Avatar image for taterfrickintot
taterfrickintot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#15 taterfrickintot
Member since 2008 • 2851 Posts

i think bungie did a great job, and was a great prequel to what is arguably one of the best FPS campaigns of all time.

Stevo_the_gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Stevo_the_gamer  Moderator
[QUOTE="wolverine4262"] Didnt they get a lot of flak for using them so much in h3?

Not sure, but if they did, it sure wasn't coming from me!
wolverine4262

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 wolverine4262
[QUOTE="Stevo_the_gamer"][QUOTE="wolverine4262"] Didnt they get a lot of flak for using them so much in h3?

I thought they were pretty awesome too...There may be the "they didnt exist then" excuse. I honestly am not sure though.... Also, in all reality, the amount of time between Halo 1, 2, 3, and reach is so miniscule that the Covies couldnt possibly construct such a thing in a short time...
Solid_Link22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Solid_Link22
Member since 2006 • 5698 Posts

To tell you the truth. I was bored out of my mind.

NeonNinja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 NeonNinja

[QUOTE="Stevo_the_gamer"][QUOTE="DarkLink77"] This is the one omission that irked the hell out of me. I couldn't believe they did that. wolverine4262

Didnt they get a lot of flak for using them so much in h3?

They did get some flak. They used it once in level 4 and then had the dual scarab fight in level 7. However, that dual fight was the craziest part in Halo 3's campaign in my opinion. Really awesome fight!

I wish there was a Scarab showdown. It looked like there would be one as you played the final mission, but they were just obstacles in the way. Kind of lame I guess.

timmy00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

#20 timmy00
Member since 2006 • 15360 Posts

It was pretty good.

DarkLink77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 DarkLink77
[QUOTE="wolverine4262"][QUOTE="Stevo_the_gamer"][QUOTE="wolverine4262"] Didnt they get a lot of flak for using them so much in h3?

I thought they were pretty awesome too...There may be the "they didnt exist then" excuse. I honestly am not sure though.... Also, in all reality, the amount of time between Halo 1, 2, 3, and reach is so miniscule that the Covies couldnt possibly construct such a thing in a short time...

There are Scarabs in Reach. You just can't fight them. Well, I suppose you could in one area, but there's like 4 of them, and a ton of Covenant, and all you have is a Mongoose.... yeah. :P
Stevo_the_gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Stevo_the_gamer  Moderator

It looked like there would be one as you played the final mission, but they were just obstacles in the way. Kind of lame I guess.

NeonNinja

Yeah, that was twisted. You get teased, and it gets taken from you. But, all things considered... I *really* liked the final final level in Reach.

DarkLink77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 DarkLink77

[QUOTE="NeonNinja"] It looked like there would be one as you played the final mission, but they were just obstacles in the way. Kind of lame I guess.

Stevo_the_gamer

Yeah, that was twisted. You get teased, and it gets taken from you. But, all things considered... I *really* liked the final final level in Reach.

Last level in Reach was brilliant. Apparently, Bungie was torn in half about whether or not to let you play that part. Glad the smarter half won. :P
NeonNinja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 NeonNinja

[QUOTE="Stevo_the_gamer"]

[QUOTE="NeonNinja"] It looked like there would be one as you played the final mission, but they were just obstacles in the way. Kind of lame I guess.

DarkLink77

Last level in Reach was brilliant. Apparently, Bungie was torn in half about whether or not to let you play that part. Glad the smarter half won. :P

Damn straight dudes. That ending was spectacular! I would argue that it might just be my favorite ending to a videogame yet (out of the ones I have played). Very awesome finale.

Stevo_the_gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Stevo_the_gamer  Moderator
[QUOTE="DarkLink77"] Last level in Reach was brilliant. Apparently, Bungie was torn in half about whether or not to let you play that part. Glad the smarter half won. :P

lol. Indeed, I actually wish more of the campaign was like that... where you were forced to fall back and feel like you were losing. I mean, in the book... Reach is getting its assed kicked yet in Halo Reach, you're the one kicking ass. lolwat. Curse you Bungie! I wanted it to be faithful to the book, grr.
Ross_the_Boss6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Ross_the_Boss6
Member since 2009 • 4056 Posts

I loved it. I'd rate it higher than 2 and 3 but lower than Combat Evolved. It's about on the same level as ODST for me.

wolverine4262

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 wolverine4262
[QUOTE="DarkLink77"] There are Scarabs in Reach. You just can't fight them. Well, I suppose you could in one area, but there's like 4 of them, and a ton of Covenant, and all you have is a Mongoose.... yeah. :P

Yeah, I just totally flaked on that part of the game...
NeonNinja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 NeonNinja

[QUOTE="DarkLink77"] Last level in Reach was brilliant. Apparently, Bungie was torn in half about whether or not to let you play that part. Glad the smarter half won. :PStevo_the_gamer
lol. Indeed, I actually wish more of the campaign was like that... where you were forced to fall back and feel like you were losing. I mean, in the book... Reach is getting its assed kicked yet in Halo Reach, you're the one kicking ass. lolwat. Curse you Bungie! I wanted it to be faithful to the book, grr.

I thought the final three missions did a good job in making you feel like you were losing. Exodus in particular with the crumbling city as you fly around it. It kind of felt like the whole "losing" aspect came along too abruptly, but those final three levels did a good job in my opinion.

majadamus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 21

#29 majadamus
Member since 2003 • 10292 Posts
I really liked the ending of Halo: Reach. It has the best story out of any of the Halo's I've played. I've never played Halo CE. I was a Nintendo fanboy at the time, and refused to buy it.
DarkLink77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 DarkLink77

[QUOTE="Stevo_the_gamer"][QUOTE="DarkLink77"] Last level in Reach was brilliant. Apparently, Bungie was torn in half about whether or not to let you play that part. Glad the smarter half won. :PNeonNinja

I thought the final three missions did a good job in making you feel like you were losing. Exodus in particular with the crumbling city as you fly around it. It kind of felt like the whole "losing" aspect came along too abruptly, but those final three levels did a good job in my opinion.

That's basically how I feel. It was there, but the moment that it clicked home for me was when you help blow up a Covenant cruiser and the rest of the fleet jumps in, and you're just like, "Yep. We're gonna lose."
Doolz2024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#31 Doolz2024
Member since 2007 • 9623 Posts
I liked it. I still need to beat it on Legendary solo, though. I'll get around to it eventually.
majadamus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 21

#32 majadamus
Member since 2003 • 10292 Posts
I liked it. I still need to beat it on Legendary solo, though. I'll get around to it eventually.Doolz2024
I'm trying to do that too. I'm on the 4th mission. It can be pretty frustrating at times.
Avatar image for deactivated-5f26ef21d6f71
deactivated-5f26ef21d6f71

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 deactivated-5f26ef21d6f71
Member since 2006 • 2521 Posts

MEH

I was expecting alot more. I mean alot more focus on the story of Noble Team. The entire campaign was practically rushed and thrown together last minute, imo.

And WTF HAPPEN TO JUN AND DR. HALSEY???

At the end, Noble 6 is NOT the last standing Spartan. So what gives?

NeonNinja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 NeonNinja

[QUOTE="NeonNinja"]

[QUOTE="Stevo_the_gamer"]lol. Indeed, I actually wish more of the campaign was like that... where you were forced to fall back and feel like you were losing. I mean, in the book... Reach is getting its assed kicked yet in Halo Reach, you're the one kicking ass. lolwat. Curse you Bungie! I wanted it to be faithful to the book, grr.DarkLink77

That's basically how I feel. It was there, but the moment that it clicked home for me was when you help blow up a Covenant cruiser and the rest of the fleet jumps in, and you're just like, "Yep. We're gonna lose."

Ah. You're right. You're right. I forgot about that part. That's certainly where it happens story-wise. That's even the name of the level I mentioned: Exodus. I then started talking about New Alexandria and missed a mission. Herp derp, Neon. :P

Yes, Exodus, New Alexandria, The Package and The Pillar of Autumn do a good job of eventually leading you to loss. It is definitely strongest in New Alexandria though where the city is burning around you, but in Exodus, civilians are fleeing, escape ships are being destroyed by the Covenant, etc. But yeah. That's where it basically starts shaking down.

wolverine4262

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 wolverine4262

MEH

I was expecting alot more. I mean alot more focus on the story of Noble Team. The entire campaign was practically rushed and thrown together last minute, imo.

And WTF HAPPEN TO JUN AND DR. HALSEY???

At the end, Noble 6 is NOT the last standing Spartan. So what gives?

KingsofQueens
There is actually a big continuity issue there. Jun is obviously a brand new character... Im not sure how this game is going to frame in the overall canon as it rewrites quite a bit....
soapandbubbles

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 soapandbubbles
Member since 2010 • 3412 Posts

in my opinion, it was pretty weak. I recently got the chance to finish it since my brother loaned me his copy. up until this point, I had only gotten a about a third of the way done with the campaign. I recently finished the rest of the thing and I have to say that it was nothing amazing. in fact, I actually like Halo 3's campaign better and I thought that one was a step down from the first two games' campaigns. So, I dont see why many people view this game as the "magnum opus" of the franchise.

now, it wasnt a bad campaign (like ODST..... bleagh) but, in my opinion, it wasnt on par with most other big FPS games today like bulletstorm, killzone 2 or 3, battlefield 2, the modern warfare games, or even the first two halo games. I honestly expected the campaign in Halo reach to pick up later on and so I gave the game the benefit of the doubt (since so many people swear up and down that its the best of the franchise) and I gave it a 9/10 rating. now that I have completed it, I am seriously reconsidering that rating and will probably knock it down to an 8.5/10.

arbitor365
so you and your brother aren't family...don't you consider his games as yours too? unless you guys live in different houses..funny stuff.
Led_poison

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 Led_poison
Member since 2004 • 10146 Posts

I thought the story was poorly told. I didn't care about the fellow spartans. The pacing was fine. I did enjoy the night level.

I thought ODST did the better job in story telling.

Overall it was a meh.

Bardock47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 Bardock47
Member since 2008 • 5429 Posts

[QUOTE="wolverine4262"][QUOTE="Stevo_the_gamer"]Not sure, but if they did, it sure wasn't coming from me!DarkLink77

There are Scarabs in Reach. You just can't fight them. Well, I suppose you could in one area, but there's like 4 of them, and a ton of Covenant, and all you have is a Mongoose.... yeah. :P

Horrible part is I loaded up the level on normal, and rushed up to one of the Scarabs, and unloadined all of my Rocket Lauuncher shots to no avail, they just walk away...which really killed the "OMG, we have to get out of here now!' moood. They should have had it where you can either just drive past or kill em' all

Doolz2024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#39 Doolz2024
Member since 2007 • 9623 Posts

[QUOTE="Doolz2024"]I liked it. I still need to beat it on Legendary solo, though. I'll get around to it eventually.majadamus
I'm trying to do that too. I'm on the 4th mission. It can be pretty frustrating at times.

Yeah, it definitely can be frustrating. Some parts of the 6th mission gave me a lot of trouble. Other than that, it hasn't been too bad. I'm on the 7th mission, Exodus, currently.

catfishmoon23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 catfishmoon23
Member since 2005 • 5197 Posts

It was good, but I still like ODST's campaign the best out of 1, 2, 3, ODST, and Reach.

Bardock47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 Bardock47

[QUOTE="majadamus"][QUOTE="Doolz2024"]I liked it. I still need to beat it on Legendary solo, though. I'll get around to it eventually.Doolz2024

Yeah, it definitely can be frustrating. Some parts of the 6th mission gave me a lot of trouble. Other than that, it hasn't been too bad. I'm on the 7th mission, Exodus, currently.

Yeah, it can be difficult, but it doesn't climax in difficulty till Pillar of Autunm, that is a very difficult level.

Bardock47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 Bardock47

Anyway, on topic, there hasnt been a halo campaign I havent enjoyed, so its a close call, but in the end its

1. Halo:CE
  2. Halo 3
  3. Halo Reach
  4. Halo 2 (Gameplay can be amazing, to a complete pain, however story wise I prefer it over Reach and 3, mostly due to the prespective of The Arbiter. Overall its 4th)
  5. ODST (Not because it was bad, but because it wasn't as awesome as other Halos, and was much shorter)
poptart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 poptart
Member since 2003 • 7298 Posts

It was okay. Can't really fault it, just it's the 'same old' in many ways. Actually having just replayed ODST, despite being the easiest of all the Halo's in some ways I actually prefer it over Reach because it felt like a slight departure from the usual format. Reach felt just a little..... tired.

silversix_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 silversix_
Member since 2010 • 26347 Posts
Good (better that in Halo2, Halo3 and of course the garbage ODST). But the game in general was meh, i'm not a fan of Halo anymore.
Avatar image for AtomicBaconBits
AtomicBaconBits

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#45 AtomicBaconBits
Member since 2006 • 8855 Posts

[QUOTE="majadamus"][QUOTE="Doolz2024"]I liked it. I still need to beat it on Legendary solo, though. I'll get around to it eventually.Doolz2024

I beat it on Legendary solo back in September.It's not that hard,just be sure to spam plasma pistol overcharges and it'll be a piece of cake.

Overall the campaign was very dull and boring for me.If I had played it on a lower difficulty I would have probably fallen asleep.

tomarlyn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 tomarlyn
Member since 2005 • 20148 Posts
I think its kinda boring but thats not my biggest problem. I hate the the way the enemies jump around like mad frogs and always know exactly where you are.
klusps

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 53

#47 klusps
Member since 2005 • 10386 Posts

I thought it was enjoyable but at the same time I was slightly dissapointed with the story.

silversix_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 silversix_
Member since 2010 • 26347 Posts
People finding Reach frustrating (solo on legendary) should try halo 2 or CE. From my first playthrough i started on legendary and finished it in under 7hours (solo) then tryed Halo 2 on legenday for fun and daaaaaaaaaamn son, its one million times harder.
Bardock47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 Bardock47

People finding Reach frustrating (solo on legendary) should try halo 2 or CE. From my first playthrough i started on legendary and finished it in under 7hours (solo) then tryed Halo 2 on legenday for fun and daaaaaaaaaamn son, its one million times harder.silversix_
This, for sure.

Avatar image for TheAcountantMan
TheAcountantMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 TheAcountantMan
Member since 2011 • 1281 Posts
Garbage.