What (currently working) RPG developers do you consider better than CD PROJEKT RED?

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#1 uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 58957 Posts

Hello this is a question.

Here's a related picture -

clone01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#2 clone01
Member since 2003 • 29824 Posts

zzzz. you're a troll, sniper.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 uninspiredcup
@clone01 said:

I'd say Larian is better as well along with Obsidian Entertainment who've pretty much replaced Bioware from being the derided B team to the A Team.

SOedipus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 SOedipus
Member since 2006 • 14801 Posts

Not sure. I'm not that up-to-date on developers and what they're doing nowadays. I hear Bioware and Bethesda are bad, lot of whining. Is Obsidian better now? I enjoyed games developed from them, but buggy as hell.

@clone01 said:

You should go to Ask the Mods and rat on him, for everyone to see, again.

nepu7supastar7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 51

#5 nepu7supastar7
Member since 2007 • 6773 Posts

@uninspiredcup:

Of a similar variety, I'd say Bioware. I know that Mass Effect Andromeda was a disappointment and all but I still love that it let's you create your own main character. That might not sound like a good enough reason to some but to me; it makes a HUGE difference.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By uninspiredcup

@nepu7supastar7: Believe there was a video in Polish /Russian with CDP saying "made characters" weren't immersive, citing Gothic as their inspiration.

- English subs about 28 minute mark

Loading Video...

AJStyles

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#8  Edited By AJStyles
Member since 2018 • 1430 Posts

No one is better than CDPR.

Unless we count God of War as an RPG, then Sony Santa Monica is the best.

I do enjoy games from GG(Horizon Zero Dawn), BioWare and Bethesda. Square Enix is hit or miss.

And I love the Deus Ex and Recent Assassins Creed Games.

It’s hard to tell for me what counts as an RPG game when every game now features leveling up systems, quests, crafting and all that Jazz.

I like them all really.

EDIT: and whoever does Borderlands is great too.

bussinrounds

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#9 bussinrounds
Member since 2009 • 3324 Posts

^popamoler detected

Idk about 'better'...which is all subjective anyway...

but I do like a bunch of smaller/lesser known devs making the more traditional/pure style cRPGs, over the more mainstream ones that try and appeal to everybody with awesome action games (sprinkled with light RPG elements)

nepu7supastar7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 51

#10 nepu7supastar7
Member since 2007 • 6773 Posts

@uninspiredcup:

That's only half true. And that goes to how the developer goes about making the main character's personality. Games like Saints Row, Mass Effect, and Dragon Age have created character features and they fair just fine in dealing with personalities. They're proof that you CAN have customizable characters with fully fleshed out backstories and still have personalities. They may be generalized personalities but they're still personalities.

When you look at Geralt from the Witcher, you see this sexy, raspy, moody as hell douchebag who comes across as someone who just hates everything. He's not vibrant, exciting, and he rarely ever smiles. How is that better than letting us create him? The nameless Saints Row 2 - 4 main character has more personality in one finger than Geralt has in his entire body. Despite the fact that you can change every bit of that character's appearance, gender, race, voice and body figure.

I get why CDPR chose to make Geralt the permanent mc for the series though. I just think it would've been more enjoyable and immersive if we could customize him completely.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 uninspiredcup
@SOedipus said:

Not sure. I'm not that up-to-date on developers and what they're doing nowadays. I hear Bioware and Bethesda are bad, lot of whining. Is Obsidian better now? I enjoyed games developed from them, but buggy as hell.

@clone01 said:

Hmm... didn't notice that.

Always assumed this was a parody account.

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#12 Archangel3371
Member since 2004 • 44169 Posts

Square-Enix. While I did thoroughly enjoy The Witcher 3 I still prefer games like Dragon Quest XI and even Final Fantasy XV. Would probably also prefer Final Fantasy XIV as well but I haven’t played it.

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 72

#13 Pedro
Member since 2002 • 69477 Posts

Many devs are better.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By uninspiredcup
@nepu7supastar7 said:

@uninspiredcup:

That's only half true. And that goes to how the developer goes about making the main character's personality. Games like Saints Row, Mass Effect, and Dragon Age have created character features and they fair just fine in dealing with personalities. They're proof that you CAN have customizable characters with fully fleshed out backstories and still have personalities. They may be generalized personalities but they're still personalities.

When you look at Geralt from the Witcher, you see this sexy, raspy, moody as hell douchebag who comes across as someone who just hates everything. He's not vibrant, exciting, and he rarely ever smiles. How is that better than letting us create him? The nameless Saints Row 2 - 4 main character has more personality in one finger than Geralt has in his entire body. Despite the fact that you can change every bit of that character's appearance, gender, race, voice and body figure.

I get why CDPR chose to make Geralt the permanent mc for the series though. I just think it would've been more enjoyable and immersive if we could customize him completely.

Oh yes, don't agree with them at all. If anything playing as Geralt is severely limiting due to the hero narrative required, the fixed style of gameplay and other limiting factors like thievery being non-existent.

Gothic for all it's janky glory affords far more freedom with a fixed (but still relatively blank canvas) character than the Witcher games ever have.

clone01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By clone01
Member since 2003 • 29824 Posts

@SOedipus said:

@clone01 said:

Because I have an issue with someone who DMed many of us obscene images when he was banned? Yeah, don't really see a problem with that.

enzyme36

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 enzyme36
Member since 2007 • 5557 Posts

Not a fan of their style.... Hoping Cyberpunk changes my opinion.

Valgaav_219

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 5

#17 Valgaav_219
Member since 2017 • 3129 Posts

I'd go with Square Enix. FFXV was okay. The DLC made it a little better. I had a lot of fun playing Kingdom Hearts 3, though, even if it was a bit on the easy side. That combat system and the ability to switch between 3 different keyblades on the fly was what sealed the deal for me. That combat system was addictive to me when on a higher difficulty level.

evilross

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#18 evilross
Member since 2003 • 2076 Posts

InXile has made the best RPG’s this gen.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 uninspiredcup

Quick run down of every developer better than CDP thus far

• Nihon Falcom
  • Obsidian
  • Bioware
  • All smaller indie devs
  • Square Enix
  • InXile

Is that everyone?

Vaasman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#20 Vaasman
Member since 2008 • 15569 Posts

None, CD Projekt are the best. It's about time you accept and move on.

jg4xchamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#21  Edited By jg4xchamp
Member since 2006 • 64037 Posts

Depends on what we are arguing as something being done better. Personally Capcom, From Software, and Team Ninja made better action rpgs.

But as far as making RPG ass RPGs, CDPR never really made those. The Witcher 2 n 3 have more in common with present day Bethesda games n Bioware games, which are RPGs if you are using that genre label really loosely.

So ignoring that genre wank aside for the type of game they make: go here, kill things with melee combat. They are wildly outclassed by a lot of devs. Be it action rpgs, or straight up action games period, and I am not beholden to the scale of their production as an excuse for my displeasure with their combat.

But a lot of people like their shit because the games are technically pretty solid, have dope soundtracks, and good moment to moment writing. That's fair, I guess, I personally disagree with giving a game a free pass on suspect gameplay for story, but to each their own.