What can Microsoft do to make Xbox One a GREAT console?

• 89 results
xantufrog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 5

#51  Edited By xantufrog  Moderator
Member since 2013 • 17875 Posts

More diverse exclusives to the ecosystem. Forza is awesome. I used to love Halo. But there needs to be more of an identity through games - people need to think "well, I can't skip Xbox because I'll miss out on __ __ and __." Note: this is not discrete and repeated IP. Xbox does have that - the forzagearshalo meme. I mean more like "sure I love Forza, but also did you see that new __ and the sequel to the long forgotten __? Maybe I could miss out on Halo 26, even if I'd rather not, but all those other gaming experiences on top of that...."

I don't care if multiplats are the biggest sellers - they dont give the brand an identity for consumers to attach to and they don't satisfy that above statement. I play Forza now on my PC and that's mostly it from their brand. I'll be diving back in on AoE to be sure.

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 72

User Lists: 0

#52 Pedro
Member since 2002 • 69716 Posts

@bronxs15: The argument that the PS4 success is due to exclusives is a fallacy. The system initial launch and momentum has kept it in its current position. The start of this gen the Xbox One had these exclusives and was on par with the exclusives on the PS4 now were they critically well recieved? Most weren't and the same occurred for the original batch of games for both systems.

The PS4 banked sales wise regardless of its exclusives with it's best sellers being multiplatform games. Whether there are exclusives available on any specific month for either system, the PS4 dominates. So to say the One needs exclusives as the fix is ignoring the data.

PUBG on the X has already clocked in 3 million gamers and it's a multiplatform game. The argument that they need more variety of game offerings is significantly more sound recommendation than "it needs exclusives".

xxyetixx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#53  Edited By xxyetixx
Member since 2004 • 3041 Posts

The Xbox One has come a long way and is a great console. It's got easy game sharing, sharing of gold, EA access, game pass, BC all the way to Xbox, UHD Blu Ray player.

It's got all the games I prefer to play. I would purchase a Xbox One S or Xbox One X right now over a PS4 if I didn't already make the jump to this gen. Xbox One S/X are much better consoles than PS4's, PS4 was only better than OG Xbox One, MS has really turned it around and made something great.

Bronxs15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#54 Bronxs15
Member since 2017 • 123 Posts

@Pedro: I disagree. People buy Nintendo systems to play Nintendo games. Even if they are not available at launch there is an expectation they games will come.

People could very well buy PS4 at launch on the expectation of playing the next naughty dog, Guerrilla games, or Santa Monica game.

As well I wouldn’t say PS4 sold on multi platform when the same games were available on Xbox. But the fact it was $100 cheaper as well. And you can’t underestimate how ps3 generation ended with strong tittles like last of us either

Avatar image for deactivated-5ebd39d683340
deactivated-5ebd39d683340

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#55 deactivated-5ebd39d683340
Member since 2005 • 4089 Posts

@mandzilla: Excellent post man, with lot's of relative comparisons clearly argued out. I agree with all you said there, cheers man!

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#56 Pedro

@bronxs15 said:

@Pedro: I disagree. People buy Nintendo systems to play Nintendo games. Even if they are not available at launch there is an expectation they games will come.

People could very well buy PS4 at launch on the expectation of playing the next naughty dog, Guerrilla games, or Santa Monica game.

As well I wouldn’t say PS4 sold on multi platform when the same games were available on Xbox. But the fact it was $100 cheaper as well. And you can’t underestimate how ps3 generation ended with strong tittles like last of us either

Nintendo is actually the real exception. People specifically buy Nintendo systems to play Nintendo games. That is not the same fate that is shared with the PS4 or Xbox One. Again the numbers show that independent of the exclusives the PS4 still tops the charts.

Now you are moving away from the initial point that was being made, that is the Xbox One needs exclusives to it being more expensive. This is an entirely different discussion and the initial pricing of the Xbox One with Kinect 2 at the cost of lower performance was a heavy hitter to the system and gave Sony the lead on a platter. This would be another instance of exclusives not being the cause of the Xbox One current situation.

The PS3 strong ending was just that a strong ending while MS was Kinect ending that rolled over to the Xbox One.

Avatar image for deactivated-5f3ec00254b0d
deactivated-5f3ec00254b0d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

#57 deactivated-5f3ec00254b0d
Member since 2009 • 6278 Posts

The Xbox needs a couple of high quality exclusives a year to help with the branding within the console space. With that said to me is great as it is.

daredevils2k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#58  Edited By daredevils2k
Member since 2015 • 5001 Posts

The only way that Ms could make the Xb1x great is by stop making them. They would become so rare that they would become collector items for being the most powerful paper weight ever created .

People will used them in their offices at work as something they could place in front of a door to keep it from closing or during breaks it could be used as a hockey puck. Either way that’s the only way that the Xb1x could ever be great ?

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#59 Pedro

@daredevils2k said:

The only way that Ms could make the Xb1x great is by stop making them. They would become so rare that they would become collector items for being the most powerful paper weight ever created .

People will used them in their offices at work as something they could place in front of a door to keep it from closing or during breaks it could be used as a hockey puck. Either way that’s the only way that the Xb1x could ever be great ?

Yet they are banking with the Xbox brand and 3 million gamers are playing PUBG. You need to new material man.

Avatar image for deactivated-5bda06edf37ee
deactivated-5bda06edf37ee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#60  Edited By deactivated-5bda06edf37ee
Member since 2010 • 4675 Posts

They could give them out for free. I might consider taking one then. Still wouldn't know what to do with it though.

They simply need exclusives, but Xbox exclusives are dead. Everything comes to PC now too, so that console is dead to me. Even if i wouldn't have gaming PC, i'd go for PS4 instead because of the better games.

PUBG is nice. You could get/build a PUBG-capable PC for pennies though.

I mean, sure, Xbox is cheaper than a decent gaming PC, but for the extra price you pay for a PC, you get immensely more value because of the epic gaming library on PC. It's really hard to justify the existence of that console. We all have (or plan to get) a computer anyway for school and internet and stuff like that, right? Just add a decent GPU in there for the price of Xbox, and you have a winner solution.

Bronxs15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#61 Bronxs15
Member since 2017 • 123 Posts

@Pedro: I think you were the one that strayed into the launch of the systems.

I disagree that Nintendo is the exception. I think it’s fine reasoning to say people buy Nintendo to play Mario Zelda donkey king. And ppl buy Sony to play uncharted ratchet team ico etc. And it used to be the case if you wanted to play halo gears forza (which by the way are compelling reasons and best of games in their genre) you would need an Xbox. But not anymore. You can play those games without an Xbox now. Me and others here think that if that were not the case probably more Xboxes would be sold. If you disagree with that please elaborate why so I can understand your point better.

PAL360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

#62  Edited By PAL360
Member since 2007 • 30570 Posts

Xbox One did have a terrible launch (mandatory kinect, no used games, etc) and MS is not supporting it with exclusives as much as they should, but it's still a good console.

It has a huge library (not as massive as PS4, but still big) and it's selling very well. Internet always think that if it's not in first, then it must be terrible, but current X1 sales are already much higher than the total sales of consoles like Gamecube, Dreamcast, N64, etc. It's doing well.

as for the question, more exclusives would probably help.

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#63 Pedro

@bronxs15 said:

@Pedro: I think you were the one that strayed into the launch of the systems.

I disagree that Nintendo is the exception. I think it’s fine reasoning to say people buy Nintendo to play Mario Zelda donkey king. And ppl buy Sony to play uncharted ratchet team ico etc. And it used to be the case if you wanted to play halo gears forza (which by the way are compelling reasons and best of games in their genre) you would need an Xbox. But not anymore. You can play those games without an Xbox now. Me and others here think that if that were not the case probably more Xboxes would be sold. If you disagree with that please elaborate why so I can understand your point better.

Stray? The manner in which these systems launch and their success pivots on their initial launch. You decided to dive further into last generation which is actually straying.

The point about Nintendo is not something to disagree with, it is and has been the case for almost 2 decades.

I have elaborated on bold in my previous post and my post before that. At this point you are just going in circles.

cainetao11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 77

User Lists: 1

#64 cainetao11
Member since 2006 • 38036 Posts

Great by whos assessment? I already have a great time with mine.

Avatar image for deactivated-5f26ed7cf0697
deactivated-5f26ed7cf0697

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#65 deactivated-5f26ed7cf0697
Member since 2002 • 7110 Posts

@daredevils2k said:

shellcase86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#66 shellcase86
Member since 2012 • 6851 Posts

@PAL360 said:

Xbox One did have a terrible launch (mandatory kinect, no used games, etc) and MS is not supporting it with exclusives as much as they should, but it's still a good console.

It has a huge library (not as massive as PS4, but still big) and it's selling very well. Internet always think that if it's not in first, then it must be terrible, but current X1 sales are already much higher than the total sales of consoles like Gamecube, Dreamcast, N64, etc. It's doing well.

as for the question, more exclusives would probably help.

Very modest, and realistic viewpoint. Agreed.

cainetao11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#67 cainetao11

@Pedro: It's true people hate proprietary memory cards or charger plugs but games being exclusive? It's Gods word, son!!!

And the only reason people hold on to that crap is fanboyism. They'll tell you about nerd romanticized bullshit like inanimate objects needing an identity and a bunch of other crap.

daredevils2k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#68 daredevils2k

@VERTIGO47 said:
@daredevils2k said:

LOL i didn't Mr. ALbert was mad, he looks happy in that picure :)

daredevils2k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#69  Edited By daredevils2k

@Pedro said:
@daredevils2k said:

Yet they are banking with the Xbox brand and 3 million gamers are playing PUBG. You need to new material man.

LOL well i guess 12FPS is new the 60fps to Lemmings , Screen pops is the new graphics king lol / bravo

mandzilla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#71 mandzilla  Moderator
Member since 2017 • 4686 Posts

@jahnee: Wow cheers! And likewise, you make a lot of great points too. :D I absolutely agree with you that there should be more Japanese/European single player games, if they can manage to get some into development, as well as arcades/indies. I'm not an Xbox One owner, however I reckon Microsoft might well surprise people with what they bring out in 2018.

asylumni

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#72 asylumni
Member since 2003 • 3304 Posts

@cainetao11 said:

@Pedro: It's true people hate proprietary memory cards or charger plugs but games being exclusive? It's Gods word, son!!!

And the only reason people hold on to that crap is fanboyism. They'll tell you about nerd romanticized bullshit like inanimate objects needing an identity and a bunch of other crap.

I can see where this confuses you. These people you speak of are the ones that can think for themselves. Their loyalty hasn't been bought out by a company. For this reason, the name on the box isn't the most important thing. Instead, they look at what each console brings to the table. A console with more games that can't be played anywhere else brings more than a console with only games that can be played anywhere else. They aren't blind fanboys that just throw their money to company just because it's a new box.

cainetao11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#73  Edited By cainetao11

@asylumni said:
@cainetao11 said:

I can see where this confuses you. These people you speak of are the ones that can think for themselves. Their loyalty hasn't been bought out by a company. For this reason, the name on the box isn't the most important thing. Instead, they look at what each console brings to the table. A console with more games that can't be played anywhere else brings more than a console with only games that can be played anywhere else. They aren't blind fanboys that just throw their money to company just because it's a new box.

Right on que, Pedro. Here is one of these lil nerds that cant see buying a machine and being able to play any game is Pro consumer because he has a love affair with a corporation LOL Just look at this bullshit he's spewing.

asylumni

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#74 asylumni
Member since 2003 • 3304 Posts

@cainetao11 said:
@asylumni said:
@cainetao11 said:

Right on que, Pedro. Here is one of these lil nerds that cant see buying a machine and being able to play any game is Pro consumer because he has a love affair with a corporation LOL Just look at this bullshit he's spewing.

Wow, you're blind devotion to MS even prevents you from reading simple English correctly. That is nowhere near what I said, nor does it reflect reality. There is no one machine that can run every game. The closest we have is PC; which I own one of. Stick to reality, not your fantasy as described by your Master, MS.

appariti0n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#75 appariti0n
Member since 2009 • 5013 Posts

By building a firewall and making the cows pay for it.

Heil68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#76 Heil68
Member since 2004 • 60718 Posts

@phbz said:

The Xbox needs a couple of high quality exclusives a year to help with the branding within the console space. With that said to me is great as it is.

Well that sucks, becuase MS has no exclusives.

Lems am cry.

Lilseb93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#77  Edited By Lilseb93
Member since 2015 • 392 Posts

They need more new IPs that have better single player campaigns and more diversity with their genres. Microsoft is too focused on multiplayer and they have too many shooters and racing games. Sony and Nintendo have more diversity with their exclusives.

cainetao11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#78 cainetao11

@asylumni said:
@cainetao11 said:
@asylumni said:
@cainetao11 said:

Wow, you're blind devotion to MS even prevents you from reading simple English correctly. That is nowhere near what I said, nor does it reflect reality. There is no one machine that can run every game. The closest we have is PC; which I own one of. Stick to reality, not your fantasy as described by your Master, MS.

Dude WTF are you even talking about? I love exclusives!! Its what drives gaming imo.

Open_Lane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#79  Edited By Open_Lane
Member since 2018 • 74 Posts

I agree with most of the sentiment here. I have considered getting an xbox but 99% of the games i’m interested in are avail on the ps4. State of the art hardware (as far as consoles goes) is great, but only if you have good games to play on it. I see no reason to buy multiple formats of the same games for marginal improvements.

Open_Lane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#80  Edited By Open_Lane
Member since 2018 • 74 Posts

The popularity and reception of the nintendo switch indicates that quality games (and functional versatility) are more important to a lot of people than graphics, state of the art hardware or even volume of games.

Aki2017

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#82 Aki2017
Member since 2017 • 817 Posts

All any console needs is good games. That's why we buy them

Vaidream45

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#83 Vaidream45
Member since 2016 • 2116 Posts

Fully bc and work out a deal with steam to get those games on Xbox since they are already built for windows 10.

daredevils2k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#84 daredevils2k

go back to their OG xbox and 360 days were they would actually invest into exclusives games instead of cancelling them. God I miss those days

sonic_spark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#85 sonic_spark
Member since 2003 • 6195 Posts

The success of the 360 was based on (a) new IP's, (b) great online functionality (for the time), (c) great exclusives, (d) a very clear message.

The X1X launched with kinect - problem 1 - and then failed to get great games out. It doesn't help that most of the library that matters is also on PC. Sony got aggressive with timed exclusives for third party games - problem 2.

And disappointingly, despite the gameplay being the best it has been, Halo was a disappointment and lacked the hype that Halo 3 had - which really pushed 360's.

I'm sure there are plenty of other issues.

But honestly, I am also surprised that the PS4 sold the way it did for the first year. It too was lacking a library worth upgrading to.

TryIt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#86 TryIt
Member since 2017 • 13157 Posts

Easy:

Dump the hardware, keep the service, invest in making gaming that all work thru the service on any device.

That is not saying same game multiple devices but rather all the games they make get connected thru the xbox live service.

When it comes to games (and for that matter most of their industry) they should focus on more on code and less on silicone.

Avatar image for jasonredemption
jasonredemption

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

User Lists: 17

#87 jasonredemption
Member since 2010 • 691 Posts

A new Crimson Skies. :)

StormyJoe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#88 StormyJoe
Member since 2011 • 7806 Posts

@n64dd: It is a great console - it just has no exclusives.

Tigerbalm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#89 Tigerbalm
Member since 2017 • 1118 Posts

Nothing can be done. Nuke the entire site from orbit--it's the only way to be sure.

Shewgenja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#90  Edited By Shewgenja
Member since 2009 • 21456 Posts

I think they've been heading in a good direction from the perspective of their hardware and their platform, but they really need to splash money on exclusives. XBox simply does not stand out compared to PS4 or Switch and it will be their undoing. They need games. Games that can only be done on the XBox. They need to get serious about things like Cloud and XBox Live again. They're not demonstrating any focus on how their brand can promote gaming as a creative form. They rely too much on big cross-plat megapublishers to carry their entire console and it simply isn't going to work.

Dark_sageX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 236

#91 Dark_sageX
Member since 2003 • 3561 Posts

In order to compete with the PS4 and Switch it requires more exclusives and more variety as well (and so does the PS4, the system is full of cinematic games and almost nothing else)