What are your thoughts on timed exclusive?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

EZs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 EZs
Member since 2005 • 1573 Posts

We have seen Star Ocean, GTA4: Episodes from Liberty City and MW2 Stimulus map pack been out on the 360 first.

As lemming, do you feel like MS is doing a good job spending your money by securing these timed exclusive titles?

As cow, do you feel pissed about it, do you think this is a cheap marketing strategy or you just don't care because eventually it will come out on your system?

What are your thoughts?

funsohng

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 funsohng
Member since 2005 • 29976 Posts
i dont like it.
_zeldredz_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 _zeldredz_
Member since 2008 • 534 Posts

so far i havent really wanted any timed exclusives that desperately that i have been bothered by it.

Sollet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#4 Sollet
Member since 2003 • 8282 Posts
Pointless? Anoying?
locopatho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 locopatho
Member since 2003 • 24259 Posts
It's grand I guess. I rarely buy games at full price anyway so waiting a month or so extra wouldn't affect me. In the case of Bioshock or Oblivion where it takes a year+ to happen that's too much though! I'd be VERY pissed to wait that long.
Avatar image for tastetheacidmil
tastetheacidmil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 tastetheacidmil
Member since 2009 • 737 Posts
fact is i get too play them games or dlc before the others do
Andrew_Xavier

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#7 Andrew_Xavier
Member since 2007 • 9625 Posts

From a purely business stand point, timed exclusives work. Many people want to "keep up with the jones'" or what not, therefore say billy and jimmy have different consoles, billy gets an amazing game, jimmy will want it now, he will not want to wait a year for it, therefore jimmy will get pushed towards buying the machine it is on. Timed exclusives work very well whether you like it or not.

JLF1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 JLF1
Member since 2005 • 8263 Posts

I rather have time-exclusivess than exclusives.

EZs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 EZs

From a purely business stand point, timed exclusives work. Many people want to "keep up with the jones'" or what not, therefore say billy and jimmy have different consoles, billy gets an amazing game, jimmy will want it now, he will not want to wait a year for it, therefore jimmy will get pushed towards buying the machine it is on. Timed exclusives work very well whether you like it or not.

Andrew_Xavier

hmm... that's a good point, sad but true.

KevinButlerVP

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 KevinButlerVP
Member since 2010 • 2378 Posts
pretty unfair, just about the money
Avatar image for tastetheacidmil
tastetheacidmil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 tastetheacidmil
Member since 2009 • 737 Posts
pretty unfair, just about the moneyKevinButlerVP
then the other company should think about putting thier hand into thier pocket, but they dont
dog_dirt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 dog_dirt
Member since 2009 • 2813 Posts

i play games not exclusives so it really doesn't bother me

AmnesiaHaze

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#13 AmnesiaHaze
Member since 2008 • 5685 Posts

so far no xbox 360 exclusive (timed or not) was enough to convince me into a console purchase , i own a wii & ps3

Cujo31

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#14 Cujo31
Member since 2002 • 2884 Posts
I truly don't see the point in timed exclusives. I can wait for what I want.
KungfuKitten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

#15 KungfuKitten
Member since 2006 • 27389 Posts

Annoying is the word that pops up in my mind.

It's completely useless.

razgriz_101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#16 razgriz_101
Member since 2007 • 16875 Posts

annoying,pointless, and pisses off a portion of the games userbase or target market if they dont have x console yet have to wait for the same game with little to no improvement.

Swift_Boss_A

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Swift_Boss_A
Member since 2007 • 14579 Posts

The way I see it is exclusives > timed exclusives > multiplatform.

Basically anything to make the the quality of the game better. At least with timed exclusives we know developers won't sacrifice their vision in order to make the game equal on both systems and taking advantage of neither. Good example would be RE4.

DethSkematik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 117

#18 DethSkematik
Member since 2008 • 3900 Posts
Mixed...I really don't mind waiting for a game to come out on my prefered system, assuming it's a few weeks or months...I get ticked off when I have to wait a year to get it though :x.
88mphSlayer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 88mphSlayer
Member since 2010 • 3201 Posts

owning all the systems it's never really bothered me

Darth_DuMas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Darth_DuMas
Member since 2006 • 2687 Posts

Actually a good question. I don't like them, I find them pointless.

I'm not sure GTA are good examples, because i'm not sure they were intended to be multiplat, but Chinatown wars and Episodes sold so poorly they had to.

HarlockJC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#21 HarlockJC
Member since 2006 • 25546 Posts
I truly don't see the point in timed exclusives. I can wait for what I want.Cujo31
You may be able to. From a company stand point most people want a game right when it comes out. More than half a games sales are normally within the first 72 hours of a game coming out. So to have timed exclusives is a way to take advantage of that trend.
Cujo31

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#22 Cujo31
Member since 2002 • 2884 Posts
[QUOTE="Cujo31"]I truly don't see the point in timed exclusives. I can wait for what I want.HarlockJC
You may be able to. From a company stand point most people want a game right when it comes out. More than half a games sales are normally within the first 72 hours of a game coming out. So to have timed exclusives is a way to take advantage of that trend.

True. I'm sure though a lot of people won't go out of their way to buy a new system over it.
Darkmoone1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Darkmoone1
Member since 2008 • 2845 Posts
Timed-exclusives are really stupid since you can just wait until it comes out for the other system. An exclusive is only good when you can keep it on your system.
Hahadouken

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#24 Hahadouken
Member since 2009 • 5546 Posts
They are good to get people hyped up, good for companies to shift some units, but I think it is pretty misleading. It's up to us to stay informed and make educated guesses about what is a true exclusive and what is merely timed. In the end it doesn't really matter much unless you get duped into buying a console for one game, but if you do that, there's nobody to blame but yourself.
D00nut

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#25 D00nut
Member since 2003 • 7618 Posts

It's a business tactic, and it works for them and generally for me as well.

Hahadouken

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#26 Hahadouken
Member since 2009 • 5546 Posts
[QUOTE="HarlockJC"][QUOTE="Cujo31"]I truly don't see the point in timed exclusives. I can wait for what I want.Cujo31

True. I'm sure though a lot of people won't go out of their way to buy a new system over it.

I kinda sorta did for Mass Effect 2. There were plenty of 360 games I needed to play properly, on my own, and all my friends have Live, so it was only a matter of time... but ME2 was the game that pushed me over into "buy it" territory, even though I am quite confident it will end up on PS3 at some point.
IppoTenma

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 IppoTenma
Member since 2009 • 2972 Posts

Annoying is the word that pops up in my mind.

It's completely useless.

KungfuKitten

This.

EZs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 EZs

They are good to get people hyped up, good for companies to shift some units, but I think it is pretty misleading. It's up to us to stay informed and make educated guesses about what is a true exclusive and what is merely timed. In the end it doesn't really matter much unless you get duped into buying a console for one game, but if you do that, there's nobody to blame but yourself.Hahadouken

Hmmm yea I kinda pissed off not knowing that Star Ocean would come for PS3, I got it for the 360 on day 1 and it came with 3 discs and thicker box, kinda dissapointing, I would wait for the PS3 if I knew it.

mgkennedy5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 mgkennedy5
Member since 2005 • 1501 Posts
Pointless. I don't mind waiting for a game, I don't see why people complain. Spending all that money just to get it first doesn't mean anything really, just marketing really
Sp4rtan_3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Sp4rtan_3
Member since 2010 • 3495 Posts
Waste of $$$ M$ is just throwing money down the drain getting these timed exclusive yet lemmings think they get a fair deal :lol:
godzillavskong

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#31 godzillavskong
Member since 2007 • 7904 Posts
Pointless? Anoying?Sollet
Agreed. Either be exclusive or not, don't say your exclusive, only to be released later on down the road. I think a lot of people buy a particular console depending on what exclusives they have, and if you already have say a PS3, and you hear that the 360 is getting "exclusive DLC" for GTA, so you pick up a 360, only to find out that you could've waited a little while and still got the DLC for your PS3 or vice versa. It almost seems like there aren't many exclusives out there, and the only ones you can really count on are the ones being published by Sony, Microsoft, or Nintendo.
godzillavskong

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#32 godzillavskong
Member since 2007 • 7904 Posts
They are good to get people hyped up, good for companies to shift some units, but I think it is pretty misleading. It's up to us to stay informed and make educated guesses about what is a true exclusive and what is merely timed. In the end it doesn't really matter much unless you get duped into buying a console for one game, but if you do that, there's nobody to blame but yourself.Hahadouken
What if you get duped into buying a console for several exclusives, that turn into timed exclusives? I think if your Box art for the case of the game says "Only for Xbox" or "Only available on PS3", it should remain that way! My box art for Bioshock says "Only on Xbox 360 and Windows". Misleading huh!
Kahuna_1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Kahuna_1
Member since 2006 • 7948 Posts

It is not good for people with one system and their favorite game is on another system so they buy the other system and then the game gets announced for their original system 6 months later. Really pisses some people off. Not a good way to treat your fan base.

lawlessx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 lawlessx
Member since 2004 • 48753 Posts

We have seen Star Ocean, GTA4: Episodes from Liberty City and MW2 Stimulus map pack been out on the 360 first.

As lemming, do you feel like MS is doing a good job spending your money by securing these timed exclusive titles?

As cow, do you feel pissed about it, do you think this is a cheap marketing strategy or you just don't care because eventually it will come out on your system?

What are your thoughts?

EZs
you've failed to mention sony and they're timed exclusive deals with EA.
Pug-Nasty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 Pug-Nasty
Member since 2009 • 8508 Posts

Poor from MS's customers stand point, as MS is spending their gaming budget on securing timed exclusivity of content they were going to get anyway rather than spending it on new IPs. In doing this, MS's customers are actually getting fewergames.