judaspete

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By judaspete
Member since 2005 • 7271 Posts

For example: I might say I like racing games, but arcade-racing games are the ones I really spend the most time with. Like, really arcadey. People call Forza Horizon arcade. Bollox, there's a racing line, no boost button, and you have to let off the gas to turn corners. That's a sim. Sims can be fun once in a while, but give me jumps, looping tracks, turbo boost, power ups, and maybe some weapons. That's my idea of a good time.

How about you? Do you like SRPGs, ARPGs, arena brawlers, 3D fighters?

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 58976 Posts

Donno if it counts but I liked Shogun 2 that had strong RPG elements compared to other Total War games.

That's me fav Total War.

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#3  Edited By hardwenzen  Online
Member since 2005 • 38854 Posts

I like horde mode style games such as helldivers 2, mass effect 3 multiplayer and gears 2 horde mode, but a well made one of these is so rare, that i barely play them. Developers have a really hard time creating a good one.

Sam3231

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 296

#4  Edited By Sam3231  Online
Member since 2008 • 2951 Posts
@hardwenzen said:

I like horde mode style games such as helldivers 2, mass effect 3 multiplayer and gears 2 horde mode, but a well made one of these is so rare, that i barely play them. Developers have a really hard time creating a good one.

What about Left 4 Dead? A classic!

my favorite subgenre is dude bro games, basically anything you can imagine eating chips and drinking mtn dew to

Last_Lap

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#5 Last_Lap
Member since 2023 • 6048 Posts

Sub genre, it's kinda the gaming equivalent of pronounces (not trying to get political, just a comparison)

Racing is racing, shooting is shooting, sports is sports etc.

Now games have like 3 or more different genres attached to them. Take GTA for instance, racing. Shooting, action-adventure, open world, sandbox, etc,etc, etc.

Old school till I die baby.

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#6  Edited By hardwenzen  Online
Member since 2005 • 38854 Posts

@Sam3231 said:
@hardwenzen said:

What about Left 4 Dead? A classic!

my favorite subgenre is dude bro games, basically anything you can imagine eating chips and drinking mtn dew to

L4D is of course one of those games, but when it came out, i was playing something, and pretty much missed the hype train

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Archangel3371
Member since 2004 • 44183 Posts

Some of my favourite sub genres are:

- Fighting games which are a sub of Action

- Kart racing which is a sub of Racing

- Sci Fi FPS which is a sub of FPS

- JRPG which is a sub of RPG

dracula_16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

#8 dracula_16
Member since 2005 • 15999 Posts

Skateboarding games. Oher than the recent remakes, it's been a while since a new Tony Hawk game came out. I had OlliOlli World to hold me over -- and what a wonderful game that was. It's a skateboarding game that's based on platforming, rather than doing insane trick combos, like in Tony Hawk games.

GhostOfGolden

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 GhostOfGolden
Member since 2023 • 2465 Posts

@dracula_16 said:

Skateboarding games. Oher than the recent remakes, it's been a while since a new Tony Hawk game came out. I had OlliOlli World to hold me over -- and what a wonderful game that was. It's a skateboarding game that's based on platforming, rather than doing insane trick combos, like in Tony Hawk games.

Even better, OlliOlli is about insane trick combos AND platforming! Well when you start competing against your friends list that is.

GhostOfGolden

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 GhostOfGolden
Member since 2023 • 2465 Posts

Kart racers. Time/score attack games like Trackmania, Trials, OlliOlli etc. And whatever Team Fight Tactics genre is called. That game clicked with me for some reason.

judaspete

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 judaspete
Member since 2005 • 7271 Posts

@last_lap said:

Racing is racing, shooting is shooting, sports is sports etc.

I mean, they might be built around the same basic concept, but there is enough variation to warrant separate categories. There are some major differences between Mario Kart and Assetto Corsa, Madden and Blitz, Civilization and Total War...

Last_Lap

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Last_Lap
Member since 2023 • 6048 Posts

@judaspete: Do you play Football in Madden and Blitz? If the answer is yes then it's a Football game.

Mario Kart has racing as does Assetto, both are racing games.

As for the other 2, never played them so can't talk about them.

Sure you might do slightly different types of the same thing, buy it's still the same thing.

Humans always try to over complicate things when there is no need to.

Litchie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#13  Edited By Litchie
Member since 2003 • 34614 Posts

Arcade racing is the only racing I like. And yeah, Forza Horizon is not arcade racing. Mario Kart and Burnout are arcade. Forza is snoozefest. I did enjoy Wreckfest which is like a mix between sim and arcade. I think FlatOut was better since it was more crazy though. Wreckfest dialed itself back, and was more boring as a result.

Extreme sports games are the only sports games I like. Crazy snowboard or skateboarding games are awesome. FIFA is puke.

Ghosts4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#14 Ghosts4ever
Member since 2015 • 24925 Posts

Old school FPS.

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#15 R4gn4r0k
Member since 2004 • 46299 Posts

Real Time Strategy

I'd love to get into turn based tactics, stuff like into the breach and have even dabbled into Real Time Tactics

But my favourite genre will forever be Real Time Strategy, it's not really welcoming to newcomers. Exactly because it all happens in real time and some people can just do moves and upgrades faster and more efficiently.

WitIsWisdom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#16  Edited By WitIsWisdom
Member since 2007 • 9548 Posts

MMO - larger online take of an RPG most of the time.

Survival - Open world rpg type games taken to the next level, although I prefer online multiplayer like Ark, Atlas, and SCUM.

3rd person shooters - like 1st person only more action oriented in my opinion.

Makers - games like Mario Maker where you can upload and play other people's levels.

Trading Card Games - (TCG) Hearthstone, Marvel Snap, Runeterra those type.

Turn based RPGs - doesn't matter where it's from as long as it's good. I like long games with involved plots and they can be classic turn based or hybrid like Dragon Age, or CRPGs.

I could keep going but I likely name every genre, subgenre, and category of gaming thats ever existed.. 😆