What are your biggest disappointments this gen?

• 83 results
Avatar image for SolidGame_basic
SolidGame_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 SolidGame_basic
Member since 2003 • 45235 Posts

I think one of the biggest ones for me was MGS 5. It lacked what made the previous games so great. It's like Kojima sold out or something. The open world gameplay was great, but it lacked MGS soul. I'm also disappointed with the current state of JRPG's. It's like they're still stuck in the past. FFXV was supposed to change that, but instead we got a story that seemed chopped off, and boring fetch quests. I did like the combat though. Xenoblade Chronicles 2 also had weird fetch quests. The voice acting and writing were kind of weird too, but I did like the characters and plot. Well anyway, you get my drift. I would like to see JRPG's take it up a notch next gen.

What about you, SW? What are your biggest disappointments this gen?

Avatar image for deactivated-60bf765068a74
deactivated-60bf765068a74

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By deactivated-60bf765068a74
Member since 2007 • 9558 Posts

I thought Fallout 4 was boring and wasted my money, disappointed I played some games on ps4 instead of my PC like rocket league now I don't have a lot of stuff on PC version

I thought Destiny 2 was also way worse than the original especially the music and didn't get deep into the game

KBFloYd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#3 KBFloYd
Member since 2009 • 22714 Posts

the shitstation VITA

RonThallsBalls

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 RonThallsBalls
Member since 2016 • 348 Posts

@SolidGame_basic: Same. First game I got for PS4 and every year I download and play it for like 15 minutes and delete it. Love all previous ones but for some reason 5? I could give a shit.

johnd13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 johnd13
Member since 2011 • 11126 Posts

My biggest disappointment is that Mass Effect Andromeda never lived up to expectations. I enjoyed it and think it's a decent game but I was expecting so much more after they announced it.

Avatar image for deactivated-60bf765068a74
deactivated-60bf765068a74

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 deactivated-60bf765068a74
Member since 2007 • 9558 Posts

@KBFloYd: the vita has fans

RonThallsBalls

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 RonThallsBalls
Member since 2016 • 348 Posts

@ProtossRushX: I love the fucking Vita but sooooooo diaspointing the way Sony mishandled it. The expensive ass memory sticks and the TOTAL lack of support. You can still be a fan and admit it was a gigantic missed opportunity.

with_teeth26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

User Lists: 1

#9 with_teeth26
Member since 2007 • 11511 Posts
@johnd13 said:

My biggest disappointment is that Mass Effect Andromeda never lived up to expectations. I enjoyed it and think it's a decent game but I was expecting so much more after they announced it.

yea this for me as well, I had a good time with Andromeda but it didn't come anywhere close to its potential

Otherwise:

Mafia 3, since I loved 1 and liked 2 quite a bit but this one was a huge step back

Dawn of War 3, played it for less than 30 hours after putting 400 and 900 hours into Relic's previous two games, just felt like a huge step back from them

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#10 Archangel3371  Online
Member since 2004 • 44275 Posts

The cancelation of Scalebound and Mass Effect Andromeda although I did still enjoyed MEA.

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#11  Edited By DaVillain  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 56214 Posts

Nvidia RTX is definitely the biggest disappointing coming from Nvidia by a long shot for this gen. RTX breaking down, Raytracing in games takes a huge performance hits and it now requires a hefty CPU to back up the GPU.

Help us AMD, only you can save us from the Greedy that is Nvidia!

omegaMaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By omegaMaster
Member since 2017 • 3481 Posts

Dragon Quest Heroes - Shocking game. Voice acting was so annoying and unfitting, especially the slime's squeaky voice. That little s**t needs to bugger off. It was that bad, I dropped the game after 30 minutes. Was considering selling it, but it ain't worth a penny on eBay.

Final Fantasy XV - Felt unfulfilled. The way how Square-Enix executed the game was a disgrace. Could have put the full game on two single discs, but square decided to expand the story by releasing season passes and repackaged the game with DLC 2 years later.

Fallout 4 - Couldn't get into it. Tried my best, but sold it.

rzxv04

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#13 rzxv04
Member since 2018 • 2578 Posts

@KBFloYd said:

the shitstation VITA

This and the Xbox One.

Renegade_Fury

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#14  Edited By Renegade_Fury
Member since 2003 • 21701 Posts

BotW - It killed Zelda for me, and maybe permanently. All the things I loved about the series were removed and replaced with a bland world and a garbage durability system.

Mario Odyssey - It's the polar opposite of what I wanted, but at least I saw it coming unlike with BotW. It's still the second worst 3D Mario though.

Sonic Lost World - After Generations, I had high hopes, but then they made a shitty bootleg Mario/DK game with a Sonic skin. Thankfully Mania exists, so I've practically forgotten about it.

Wii U in general - It's the worst Nintendo console, imo. I'm not much of a fan of the Switch either, but at least there are some games coming out down the line that I'm interested in. The Wii U had nothing.

Microsoft in general - They've fallen off a cliff compared to how great they were 10-15 years ago.

EA's handling of the Star Wars license - I wasn't expecting a return to the glory years of 1992-2005, but it's been significantly worse than how I thought it was going to be.

mandzilla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#15 mandzilla  Moderator
Member since 2017 • 4686 Posts

Metal Gear Solid 5 (big time), Mass Effect Andromeda, Dragon Age Inquisition, Star Wars Battlefront remakes and no virtual console.

Avatar image for BenjaminBanklin
BenjaminBanklin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 BenjaminBanklin
Member since 2004 • 11131 Posts
@KBFloYd said:

the shitstation VITA

You bought one?

SolidGame_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 SolidGame_basic

@Renegade_Fury: wow, surprised you feel that way about Zelda. Your spot on about Mario. I had to convince myself that it was a good game when I knew deep down inside it’s not what I had hoped.

Renegade_Fury

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#18  Edited By Renegade_Fury
Member since 2003 • 21701 Posts

@SolidGame_basic: Yeah, I gave it every chance too, because I got all the memories, the master sword, and did 60+ shrines. I just don't like this new direction, which sucks, because I used to consider Zelda one of my top 5 favorite franchises.

When they revealed that Odyssey was going to be an open world collectathon, my internal alarm went off, lol. I'm not much of a fan of those kinds of platformers, so I knew my experience was going to be similar to that of my Sunshine playthrough.

KBFloYd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#19  Edited By KBFloYd
Member since 2009 • 22714 Posts

@BenjaminBanklin said:
@KBFloYd said:

the shitstation VITA

You bought one?

no but i thought about buying one. (this actually true...i was like " this thing has no chance at beating 3DS" and it will be a way for me to play some sony stuff guilt free)

but everytime i tried to pull the trigger i couldn't.

Vaidream45

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Vaidream45
Member since 2016 • 2116 Posts

EA getting the Star Wars license.

Hands down.

No competition.

Sevenizz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Sevenizz
Member since 2010 • 6462 Posts

I’m disappointed that sony hasn’t found a way for me to be interested in buying a ps4. I don’t care for movie games, Japanese gaming, and single player games for the most part. PSN hasn’t sold me much in their reliability and overall offerings.

I used to buy every Nintendo offering available. I skipped the 3DS and Switch and I don’t feel like I’ve missed much. Maybe I’ve outgrown the brand? The WiiU was such a disappointment too though. The last great Nintendo console I remember owning was the GameCube.

Avatar image for deactivated-5f4e2292197f1
deactivated-5f4e2292197f1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 deactivated-5f4e2292197f1
Member since 2015 • 1374 Posts

1-Don Mattrick, Adam Orth, Phil Harrison and Aaron Greenberg (They all failed to do their jobs for Xbox)

2-Vita (People think One is a fall from grace from 360, well Vita fell to depths unimaginable cause PSP was god)

3-Nintendo (Switch/BotW) (20 years of distrust, and believed in their consoles again, and my faith was misplaced)

4-Kaz Hirai/Satoru Iwata (disappointed to see these men exit their prominent positions at gaming giants. RIP)

5-Valve (Do I even have to say why...I almost want to put all PC gaming, especially Valve and Nvidia)

6-Telltales (I didn't care about them, but its horrible management to just up and die the way they did)

7-Silent Hills/Scalebound (Losing 2 of the most desired games of the generation sucks)

8-PS Now (failed to adapt and would have remained a subscriber had they done more)

9-Kinect (I loved kinect, and felt it was an amazing utility device, I'm glad Cortana and Siri are here though)

10-Metacritic (It's sad that so many put faith in the aggregate, when everyone knows its BS)

Avatar image for stilltrollin_ic
StillTrollin_IC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 StillTrollin_IC
Member since 2018 • 3 Posts

How gamers even “adults” think buying toys with their toy games for their toy consoles is a good idea. Now to play star fox you have to tape an Arwing to your controller. Great.

hrt_rulz01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By hrt_rulz01
Member since 2006 • 22388 Posts

In terms of games, the 3 biggest disappointments for me have been Mass Effect Andromeda, Mafia 3 & Halo 5. None of them are bad games, but they just didn't live up to the hype/were not as good as the previous games in the series. And I was massively hyped for all of them.

Robbie23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Robbie23
Member since 2015 • 2080 Posts

Metal Gear Solid 5 was a massive let down once the missions started to repeat. I cannot believe how anti climatic the story was. The gameplay was actually good, but without the immersive story it felt like the game was empty.

Evolve was disappointing, not sure how a game which lacked so much unpaid content got such high reviews at launch. The game should of been Free to play to begin with and it would have not been a issue.

Avatar image for eyeboonseyebrow
EyeBoonsEyebrow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 EyeBoonsEyebrow
Member since 2018 • 280 Posts

The death of the Mass Effect and Deus Ex franchises hurt big time.

henrythefifth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#29  Edited By henrythefifth
Member since 2016 • 2502 Posts

RDR2 by far.

The game is just so painfully slow and cumbersome to play, and the counter intuitive, overly complex controls do not help matters.

It looks nice, sounds nice and so on, but when the gameplay itself is anti-fun, its just not enough to keep you going.

Also, the snow looked crap, PS2 era stuff. I just mention this because so many fanboys ranted about the snow level being so great. Well, HZD and TR games have lot better snow, as do AC3 and Mafia 2, just to name few. Heck, SM64 had more convincing snow!!!

Bitter disappointment. Nothing has disappointed me more this gen, and I've played most game on this gen.

Avatar image for BenjaminBanklin
BenjaminBanklin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 BenjaminBanklin
Member since 2004 • 11131 Posts

Microsoft's handling of Xbox at current, that's why I'll never stop giving them shit about it. We'll see what happens next gen

No new GTA game for this gen, apparently. Rather have that than Red Dead

Paywall for PSN... that sucks

Mass Effect burning before my eyes

thehig1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#31 thehig1
Member since 2014 • 7537 Posts

Mass Effect Andromeda for me.

Ignoring the terrible launch and how broken the facial aminations were it wasnt a good mass effect.

The only positive I can give it is the controls and combat is better, it falls short everywere else.

The decision to go to Andromeda in the first place was poor, ignoring the amazing world of alien races they had already built to go to another universe were they had to create all the races you encounter from scratch.

It would have made more. sense to keep it in the milky way and pick a different time or different place.

I also had issues with the writing, and lack of charecter development, you were not as close to your team in this as the original trilogy.

The game wad rushed, and many major decisions were poor.

Avatar image for deactivated-6092a2d005fba
deactivated-6092a2d005fba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 deactivated-6092a2d005fba
Member since 2015 • 22663 Posts

The cancellation of Scalebound was mine.

Vaidream45

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Vaidream45
Member since 2016 • 2116 Posts

@stilltrollin_ic: you don’t have to. I have the arwing and other stuff and none of the toys. It’s all digital. The toys are for the collectors really. I dunno who the hell wants to play that game with a big ol ship on the controller lol. Those people are silly to me.

Ghosts4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#34  Edited By Ghosts4ever
Member since 2015 • 24956 Posts

Deus Ex Mankind divided. its a good game but they cut the game into half as a result game suffer and ruined the deus ex series. its to HR is what IW is to original.

MGS5 i was expecting good game but i got complete boredom repetitiveness.

Jshoelace

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By Jshoelace
Member since 2008 • 846 Posts

My biggest disappointment is forza horizon 4. I can't get over the annoying voices and characters and it doesn't feel like driving in the UK at all.. Can't even remember seeing any potholes. I felt the game was designed for children and I'm bitter cus im a grown man.

Epak_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 Epak_
Member since 2004 • 11911 Posts

@KBFloYd said:
@BenjaminBanklin said:
@KBFloYd said:

the shitstation VITA

You bought one?

no but i thought about buying one. (this actually true...i was like " this thing has no chance at beating 3DS" and it will be a way for me to play some sony stuff guilt free)

but everytime i tried to pull the trigger i couldn't.

It was pretty amazing when compared to 3DS (graphically). First time playing Killzone on that thing felt great and the game was fun too. Uncharted Golden Abyss was better than UC1 IMO. Games became dirt cheap and I quickly ran out of space of my two 16GB memory cards. It's gathering dust now, but before the Switch it was pretty amazing.

scatteh316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 scatteh316
Member since 2004 • 10273 Posts

Lemmings....... they've gone from being cocky and arrogant with DX12 and teh cloud claiming it's going to change the game to being pussies who don't have any fight in them now.

They don't even like to talk about their own games like Crackdown 3 any more, instead choosing to ignore how much of a flop it's turned out to be.

Disappointed for PC too, brings nothing exclusive to the table and is truly a dead platform compared to what it was.

What a disappointment.

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 R4gn4r0k
Member since 2004 • 46444 Posts
  • Activision - Can't even build a proper WWII Call of Duty anymore, the call of duty games are platforms to sell DLC, season passes and microtransactions on top of
  • Blizzard - Instead of creating a Warcraft sequel they'd rather work on weaksauce games like Overwatch or god forbid, Diablo Immortal
  • Activision Blizzard - the culmination of everything that is wrong in this world
Litchie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#39 Litchie
Member since 2003 • 34660 Posts

AAA studios. While they have hundreds of employees putting out pure vomit like Destiny 2, indie studios with two employees put out masterpieces like Hollow Knight.

SolidGame_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 SolidGame_basic

@Epak_: Kind of weird that he is trashing a system he never owned..

@Litchie: Damn, it's that good? I may have to check it out. Never really knew much about it.

Litchie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By Litchie
@SolidGame_basic said:

@Litchie: Damn, it's that good? I may have to check it out. Never really knew much about it.

Hollow Knight? If you have any interest in Metroidvania style games, it's a crime to not play Hollow Knight. :P

scatteh316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 scatteh316
@i_p_daily said:

The cancellation of Scalebound was mine.

BS......The way you've been crying it's FH4 not getting a GOTY nomination...

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#43 uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 59067 Posts

FF15 DLC cancellation.

ArchoNils2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 ArchoNils2
Member since 2005 • 10534 Posts

I mostly enjoy japanese Games. While they got better this gen, they're still nowhere near their glory days the gens before last gen. I also really hate how week the consoles this gen are. At launch the PS4 I got was weaker than the Notebook I owned at that time.

scatteh316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 scatteh316
@ArchoNils2 said:

I mostly enjoy japanese Games. While they got better this gen, they're still nowhere near their glory days the gens before last gen. I also really hate how week the consoles this gen are. At launch the PS4 I got was weaker than the Notebook I owned at that time.

And yet PS4 has aged better then said notebook.

SolidGame_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 SolidGame_basic
@Litchie said:
@SolidGame_basic said:

Hollow Knight? If you have any interest in Metroidvania style games, it's a crime to not play Hollow Knight. :P

Ooo.. the next Metroidvania type game I want to play next is actually Dead Cells. Did you play that?

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 R4gn4r0k
Member since 2004 • 46444 Posts
@BenjaminBanklin said:

Microsoft's handling of Xbox at current, that's why I'll never stop giving them shit about it. We'll see what happens next gen

No new GTA game for this gen, apparently. Rather have that than Red Dead

Paywall for PSN... that sucks

Mass Effect burning before my eyes

Now that you mention it:

This is the first generation since the original Playstation where we didn't get a new GTA.

Litchie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By Litchie
@SolidGame_basic said:
@Litchie said:
@SolidGame_basic said:

Ooo.. the next Metroidvania type game I want to play next is actually Dead Cells. Did you play that?

Only for a short while at a friends' house. I can say that it's solid, very fast-paced and the gameplay seems really fun, cool graphics. I recommend it if you're interested, I'm getting it soon myself. It's a rogue-like though, unlike Hollow Knight which is more traditional metroidvania.

sealionact

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#49 sealionact
Member since 2014 • 9822 Posts
@scatteh316 said:

Lemmings....... they've gone from being cocky and arrogant with DX12 and teh cloud claiming it's going to change the game to being pussies who don't have any fight in them now.

They don't even like to talk about their own games like Crackdown 3 any more, instead choosing to ignore how much of a flop it's turned out to be.

Disappointed for PC too, brings nothing exclusive to the table and is truly a dead platform compared to what it was.

What a disappointment.

Wait.... "Lemmings" are the biggest disappointment this gen, because you are unhappy with the level of trolling you get to do?
How are we supposed to engage you, when you are such a failure at doing a mindlessly simple thing like trolling? I mean. how does someone ignore how much of a flop CD3 has turned out to be, when it isn't out until next year?

Bizarre.

SolidGame_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 SolidGame_basic

@Litchie: ooo I'll have to check HK at some point. so many great games!