What are the best and worst sequels ever?

• 58 results
Ghosts4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Ghosts4ever
Member since 2015 • 24980 Posts

Hello friends,

in this thread we talk about the best and worst sequels we ever played so i star with worst. and since we are talking about sequels so reboots do not count here.

Worst:

Deus Ex invisible wars - This game is sequel to greatest game ever made. i have never seen in history that a sequel is that bad. when original is greatest game ever made. this is one of the worst game ever. even warren spector except that IW was mistake. it remove everything that make original such a great game.

Deus Ex mankind divided (as sequel to HR) - like IW. this is also a weak sequel. it may not as bad as IW but still a bad sequel. this feel like inferior dlc to HR rather than a sequel. i was so hype but in the end so dissappointed that how eidos screwed up this game. waste of 5 years

Max Payne 2 - well i actually like this game but i can say its worst in trilogy plus its inferior sequel to Max payne 1 in every single way. Max looks generic in 2 while he looks cool in original. its more easy, less intense, and less atmospheric. original game is much more iconic and more memorable.

Crysis 2 - consolized sequel to a great PC FPS. yeah last generation is full of them. Crysis 1 was such a unique game but 2 is generic COD clone. and then 3 is worst of series.

FEAR 2 - see above.

Splinter cell conviction - ruined the series. and turning it into action games.

Hitman Absolution - it ruined hitman series last generation by turning hitman into linear action game with see through walls and cutscene assassination. thankfully series redeem after new Hitman game.

Mafia 3 - First Mafia is masterpiece. and easily best third person action game ever. the story, characters, gameplay, atmosphere everything done so well and perfected. sequel mafia 2 was worse in every way but enjoyble. third game is complete crap and is finally a GTA clone with finishing moves.

Now its time for best

Best:

Hitman 2 - I have never seen a sequel that improve over this good in history. the original game was pretty bad. has cool idea but badly executed and thats why its remade into contracts. but this game fix every problem and become a masterpiece. due to this game it save the franchise and turning hitman into one of the best stealth franchise. this is why i give sequel a chance. if first game fail. developers should not leave it to die. they may execute ideas in future installment correctly and IOI did.

Half life 2 - imo Half life 1 and 2 are 2 of best shooters of all time. but when HL1 raise the bar. HL2 evolve so much to make a one of the best sequel of all time. look at Deus ex HR to MD in 5 years gap no progression and no evolution but HL1 to 2 in 5 years have insane amount of progression and evolution. sadly valve donot make games anymore.

Metro Last light - While for some extent i prefer 2033 due to having better atmosphere but its last light that fix all problems of 2033. which was very flawed game. with even better story telling.

Resident Evil 7 - If we count it as sequel to RE6 than wow this game literally blow that game out of water. infact it blow RE4 5 and 6 out of water too. prior to this game resident evil was mediocre franchise and this game turn it into pure horror game with better controling and best story in series.

System Shock 2 - SS2 is one of the best game i have ever played. this game also feature some of the greatest level design. a pure immersive sim FPS/RPG that inspired many games like bioshock, deadspace and prey. but none of these games hold candle against it. whenever someone talk about system shock. only a sequel. no one talk about original game until they announced its remake. thats how worthy this sequel is to this day.

so what do you think are best and worst sequels released in gaming history?

discuss

Avatar image for deactivated-5c18005f903a1
deactivated-5c18005f903a1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 deactivated-5c18005f903a1
Member since 2016 • 4626 Posts

You really have an obsession with what’s the best or worst eva!!!

What’s up next?

mecha_frieza

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 mecha_frieza
Member since 2007 • 1305 Posts

Here is my list of worst sequels:

Way of the Samurai 2 - The original was a very good and ambitious game and a sequel was much desired. However, the sequel was a rush job where literally nothing was changed (except for the inclusion of some really terrible voice acting). The story was also very bad.

Twisted Metal 3 - Probably one of the worst sequels in gaming history, since THQ got the rights to Twisted Metal, they completely changed the game (and for the worse). Mix this absolutely terrible graphics, this along with Twisted Metal 4, are considered the worst Twisted Metal games of all time.

Resident Evil 6 - Every Resident Evil from 0 all the way to Resident Evil 4 were nothing short of excellent, so when Resident Evil 5 was announced there was a lot of hype, but that hype quickly faded. We were treated to an action heavy game that somehow lost its horror roots. While not a bad game, it was just such a big deviation from what we were use to. Resident Evil 6 was suppose to fix all of the issues that plague Resident Evil 5, but it actually made them worse. We got a bloated cast of characters and a story that was about as complication as brain surgery. What ever happened to shooting zombies and stopping the evil Umbrella Corporation?

Here is my list for best sequels:

Resident Evil 2 - this was a game that literally improved on everything from the original and to this day it is considered one of the greatest achievements in the survival horror genre.

Dynasty Warriors 4 - Again, we are treated with a game that improved on literally everything from it's predecessor. This entry in the beloved Dynasty Warriors series is often considered the best.

UFC Undisputed 3 - The UFC Undisputed franchised started off good, but ended great. UFC Undisputed to this day is widely considered the best UFC game of all time. It even had a much desired Pride mode where fighters could compete in tournaments, face stomps and all.

This is all I can think of off the top of my head, but I will add to my list.

Avatar image for speedfreak48t5p
speedfreak48t5p

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 62

#4 speedfreak48t5p
Member since 2009 • 14419 Posts

Such an original Ghosts thread.

Basinboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#5 Basinboy
Member since 2003 • 14499 Posts

Can we count this thread as a sequel to qualify it for discussion?

Macutchi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#6 Macutchi
Member since 2007 • 10488 Posts

best gta 3

worst far cry 2

Avatar image for stereointegrity
stereointegrity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 stereointegrity
Member since 2007 • 12151 Posts

Devil may cry 2

shellcase86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By shellcase86
Member since 2012 • 6851 Posts

Best: Bloody Roar 2

Worst: Battle Arena Toshiden 3

jun_aka_pekto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#9  Edited By jun_aka_pekto
Member since 2010 • 25255 Posts

Best: Combat Flight Simulator 2 - replaced Combat Flight Simulator

Worst: Combat Flight Simulator 3 - replaced followed Combat Flight Simulator 2

Damn M$. They actually released a couple of patches so CFS2 wouldn't work properly anymore. The game worked up to the early days of Windows 10. Now, it doesn't.

Avatar image for deactivated-6092a2d005fba
deactivated-6092a2d005fba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 deactivated-6092a2d005fba
Member since 2015 • 22663 Posts

Some of my best would be: Shining Force 2, Streets of Rage 2, Jungle Strike, Road Rash 2, Panzer Dragoon Saga, Micro Machines 2, Mortal Kombat 2, Virtua Fighter 2, Grandia 2, Street Fighter Alpha 2, Virtua Racing (Saturn) i could go on for a while but I won't.

Worst: Streets of Rage 3, Soviet Strike, Insert any Need for Speed game after High Stakes, Resident Evil 5 and onwards, Ridge Racer 6, again I could go on but won't.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#11  Edited By uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 59088 Posts

Fear started off as one of the most promising FPS around. Then they (console) rebooted it and didn't seem to understand what made it good in the first place. It's shite.

Best sequel?

Loading Video...

Avatar image for NathanDrakeSwag
NathanDrakeSwag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By NathanDrakeSwag
Member since 2013 • 17392 Posts

Worst: Doom 2, Metro 2, Mafia 2

N64DD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 N64DD
Member since 2015 • 13167 Posts

@ghosts4ever said:

Hello friends,

in this thread we talk about the best and worst sequels we ever played so i star with worst. and since we are talking about sequels so reboots do not count here.

Worst:

Deus Ex invisible wars - This game is sequel to greatest game ever made. i have never seen in history that a sequel is that bad. when original is greatest game ever made. this is one of the worst game ever. even warren spector except that IW was mistake. it remove everything that make original such a great game.

Deus Ex mankind divided (as sequel to HR) - like IW. this is also a weak sequel. it may not as bad as IW but still a bad sequel. this feel like inferior dlc to HR rather than a sequel. i was so hype but in the end so dissappointed that how eidos screwed up this game. waste of 5 years

Max Payne 2 - well i actually like this game but i can say its worst in trilogy plus its inferior sequel to Max payne 1 in every single way. Max looks generic in 2 while he looks cool in original. its more easy, less intense, and less atmospheric. original game is much more iconic and more memorable.

Crysis 2 - consolized sequel to a great PC FPS. yeah last generation is full of them. Crysis 1 was such a unique game but 2 is generic COD clone. and then 3 is worst of series.

FEAR 2 - see above.

Hitman Absolution - it ruined hitman series last generation by turning hitman into linear action game with see through walls and cutscene assassination. thankfully series redeem after new Hitman game.

Mafia 3 - First Mafia is masterpiece. and easily best third person action game ever. the story, characters, gameplay, atmosphere everything done so well and perfected. sequel mafia 2 was worse in every way but enjoyble. third game is complete crap and is finally a GTA clone with finishing moves.

Now its time for best

Best:

Hitman 2 - I have never seen a sequel that improve over this good in history. the original game was pretty bad. has cool idea but badly executed and thats why its remade into contracts. but this game fix every problem and become a masterpiece. due to this game it save the franchise and turning hitman into one of the best stealth franchise. this is why i give sequel a chance. if first game fail. developers should not leave it to die. they may execute ideas in future installment correctly and IOI did.

Half life 2 - imo Half life 1 and 2 are 2 of best shooters of all time. but when HL1 raise the bar. HL2 evolve so much to make a one of the best sequel of all time. look at Deus ex HR to MD in 5 years gap no progression and no evolution but HL1 to 2 in 5 years have insane amount of progression and evolution. sadly valve donot make games anymore.

Metro Last light - While for some extent i prefer 2033 due to having better atmosphere but its last light that fix all problems of 2033. which was very flawed game. with even better story telling.

Resident Evil 7 - If we count it as sequel to RE6 than wow this game literally blow that game out of water. infact it blow RE4 5 and 6 out of water too. prior to this game resident evil was mediocre franchise and this game turn it into pure horror game with better controling and best story in series.

System Shock 2 - SS2 is one of the best game i have ever played. this game also feature some of the greatest level design. a pure immersive sim FPS/RPG that inspired many games like bioshock, deadspace and prey. but none of these games hold candle against it. whenever someone talk about system shock. only a sequel. no one talk about original game until they announced its remake. thats how worthy this sequel is to this day.

discuss

Good list, but my friend...how could you have not listed Return to Castle Wolfenstein as not one of the best sequels?

stuff238

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#14 stuff238
Member since 2012 • 3284 Posts

WORST: Half Life 2, Super Mario Bros 2, Zelda 2,

BEST: Metal Gear Solid 2, God of War 2, Uncharted 2

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 R4gn4r0k
Member since 2004 • 46449 Posts

@boycie said:

You really have an obsession with what’s the best or worst eva!!!

What’s up next?

There are only two types of people that deal in extremes like ghosts does all the time:

Terrorists and politicians

So which one is he ?

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 R4gn4r0k

@n64dd said:

Good list, but my friend...how could you have not listed Return to Castle Wolfenstein as not one of the best sequels?

It's not a direct sequel but a reboot.

If you want to talk direct sequel, Enemy Territory would be one to RTCW.

clone01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 clone01
Member since 2003 • 29826 Posts

No one cares, sniper.

xantufrog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 5

#19  Edited By xantufrog  Moderator
Member since 2013 • 17875 Posts

The recent Thief game was just a travesty. It actually had quite good stealth mechanics on the right settings, but total bullshit story, restricted movement in critical ways, and the level design was ABYSMAL

Vaidream45

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Vaidream45
Member since 2016 • 2116 Posts

Worst

The Force Unleashed 2

cainetao11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 77

User Lists: 1

#21 cainetao11
Member since 2006 • 38036 Posts

Wow.

Anyway, Zillion 2 for the Sega master system. First game was an epic journey through a maze, sci first 8 bit badassry the sequel was side scrolling action resistance.

Best is easily the Witcher 3. I liked 2 a lot and 3 showed what open world gaming with side quests that I truly wish to play is. I saw a few "BOTW is how open world should be done" last March. LOL nope.

cainetao11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 77

User Lists: 1

#22 cainetao11
Member since 2006 • 38036 Posts

@R4gn4r0k: and Sith.

Diddies

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#23 Diddies
Member since 2007 • 2415 Posts

@ghosts4ever said:

Hello friends,

Worst:

FEAR 2 - see above.

Now its time for best

Best:

discuss

I have never heard anyone saying Mafia is the Best and especially easily the best third person action game.

Jag85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 219

#24 Jag85
Member since 2005 • 19591 Posts

Best:

Streets of Rage 2

Worst:

Alundra 2

JoshRMeyer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 JoshRMeyer
Member since 2015 • 12577 Posts

Borderlands 2 and uncharted 2

madsnakehhh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 madsnakehhh
Member since 2007 • 18255 Posts

Just at the top of my head... Best sequel, Bayonetta 2...i recently started to play this game again and holy crap...that game is beyond amazing.

Worst sequel. Again, just at the top of my head...i really disliked Donkey Kong Country 3 for some reason...i mean DKC2 is one of my favorite games ever (should probably add that game as well to best sequels)...but DKC3 was just so...mediocre.

VFighter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 VFighter
Member since 2016 • 11031 Posts

Best - Streets of Rage 2, Street Fighter 2, Uncharted 2, Gears of War 2, Virtua Fighter 2, Tekken 3.

Worst - Star Wars: Force Unleashed 2

Ghosts4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Ghosts4ever

@Diddies said:

I have never heard anyone saying Mafia is the Best and especially easily the best third person action game.

maybe they havenot played it. or they are used to of playing cover based shooters like gears, uncharted or vanquish.

Diddies

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Diddies

@ghosts4ever: I have played it and it isn’t that great. It was a good game but nothing magical. No offense but all GTAs shit on mafia.

VFighter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 VFighter
Member since 2016 • 11031 Posts

@Diddies: This is the response anybody with any sense would make, but that isn't ghost.

Ghosts4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Ghosts4ever
@vfighter said:

@Diddies: This is the response anybody with any sense would make, but that isn't ghost.

because according to ghost. quality of game matters, not popularity.

Diddies

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 Diddies

@ghosts4ever: it is also about quality with us as well. GTA is better quality than mafia lol

Ghosts4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Ghosts4ever

@Diddies said:

@ghosts4ever: it is also about quality with us as well. GTA is better quality than mafia lol

how is GTA better than Mafia?

Mafia is better in atmosphere, better in Story by far, better in core gameplay elements, no boring open world where you travel from point A to point B and boring sidequest. Mafia is linear game with open structure. as most open games are boring. now if you talking about sequels then they are not that good.

but mafia 1 almost 20 year old game is still best third person game ever.

Diddies

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 Diddies

@ghosts4ever: GTA environments are way better (definitely more immersive with people reacting to you), controls are way worse in mafia with gameplay being mediocre. The driving is absolutely abysmal is mafia. I did enjoy the story of mafia but GTA just beats it all around with more variety (more guns, vehicles, planes, helicopters, etc) , bigger maps and definitely better. No one really reacts to you like they do in GTA.

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 R4gn4r0k

@Diddies said:

@ghosts4ever: GTA environments are way better (definitely more immersive with people reacting to you), controls are way worse in mafia with gameplay being mediocre. The driving is absolutely abysmal is mafia. I did enjoy the story of mafia but GTA just beats it all around with more variety (more guns, vehicles, planes, helicopters, etc) , bigger maps and definitely better. No one really reacts to you like they do in GTA.

Yeah, there are few Open World games that can match the open world design and NPC interactions games like GTA or RDR have.

Ghosts4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 Ghosts4ever

@R4gn4r0k said:
@Diddies said:

Yeah, there are few Open World games that can match the open world design and NPC interactions games like GTA or RDR have.

rockstar put so much effort into presentation and world alive. i give them credit.

but when it comes to gameplay. there games fall flat. all of thier games have terrible gameplay until Max payne 3. they nail it with max payne 3.

emgesp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By emgesp
Member since 2004 • 7848 Posts

Red Dead Redemption is the best sequel.

Mass Effect 3 or Andromeda for worst sequel.

Avatar image for deactivated-5cd08b1605da1
deactivated-5cd08b1605da1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

#38 deactivated-5cd08b1605da1
Member since 2012 • 9317 Posts

Worst: Devil May Cry 2

Best: Devil May Cry 3

:p

Alucard_Prime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#39 Alucard_Prime
Member since 2008 • 10107 Posts

Grant Theft Auto 3, never was interested in the previous 2, but 3 was revolutionary for its time

AsadMahdi59

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By AsadMahdi59
Member since 2005 • 7226 Posts

I'm listing games which I think significantly improved on predecessors.

GTA San Andreas

Mass Effect 2

MGS3

Burnout 3

Splinter Cell Chaos Theory

Devil May Cry 3

Shadow of the Colossus (prequel technically but it released after Ico - which I thought sucked)

nintendoboy16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

User Lists: 14

#41 nintendoboy16
Member since 2007 • 41561 Posts

Best:

Tekken 3

SoulCalibur II

Mortal Kombat II

Super Mario Bros. 3

Super Smash Bros. Brawl

Metal Gear Solid 3 (okay, a prequel, but still)

Star Wars: Rogue Squadron II - Rogue Leader

Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion

Civilization III

Sonic the Hedgehog 3

Worst:

Super Smash Bros. 4

Off the top of my head right now.

@vaidream45 said:

Worst

The Force Unleashed 2

Unless it's the Wii version, then it's an improved sequel.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#42  Edited By uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 59088 Posts

@Alucard_Prime said:

Grant Theft Auto 3, never was interested in the previous 2, but 3 was revolutionary for its time

Oh yes, definitely. Probably the best paced of the series as well.

dimebag667

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 dimebag667
Member since 2003 • 3081 Posts

Best: Socom 2 - Took the first game and added more maps, more guns, and more stats.

Worst: Halo 2 - Threw away some the best mechanics and balance in an fps, and then set the series on the path of mediocrity.

speedfog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 speedfog
Member since 2009 • 4966 Posts

On top of my head

Worst: Killzone 3, Mafia 3, Mirrors Edge 2, Uncharted 4, Socom 4, Prey (if that counts?).

Best: Red dead Redemption, Call of Duty 4, Return to Castle Wolfenstein, Mafia 2, Quake 3, GTA Sanandreas, etc

Avatar image for deactivated-5c56012aaa167
deactivated-5c56012aaa167

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#45  Edited By deactivated-5c56012aaa167
Member since 2016 • 2538 Posts

Games that users haven't mentioned:

Best:

Jedi Knight 2 : Lightsaber combat was much better than Jedi Knight 1 and it also had better force 3rd person camera.

Kotor 2(TSLRCM version) : I liked it more than Kotor 1 .It's story was much better.

Worst :

Sleeping Dogs : Maybe not a sequel to True Crime but it was so boring outside it's story cutscenes for me.

Curse of Monkey Island : Guybrush looked awful , some puzzles were copied from MI 1 and 2(Sword Fighting and final bossfight) , Pointless dialogues that were just there for laughing than serving any purpose(Most of them are optional). And finally the story didn't make sense compare to the ending of MI 2.

Resident Evil 5 : Never understand the hate for 6 , 5 is much worse compare to 6.(It's just a little better polished)

Star Wars EAFront 1 and 2 : So inferior compare to the original ones.

Avatar image for masterpinky2000
masterpinky2000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 95

#46 masterpinky2000
Member since 2004 • 1955 Posts

Uncharted 2 is among the best. Not sure about worst, I loved Crysis but could barely make it through 2 hours of Crysis 2 without getting bored.

CRUSHER88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

User Lists: 3

#47 CRUSHER88
Member since 2003 • 2037 Posts

Surprisingly tough to answer. I don't usually play through a game and think "this is so much worse than the previous entry". Fable 3 is one that comes to mind though. The story is just so damn empty and ends so fast. Fable 2 managed to be better than the original in every way...then bam, Fable 3 is painfully average. Halo 2 is something I'd refer to as a solid sequel. The campaign was enjoyable, and the multiplayer was an improvement in every way.

For more of an odd one, World of Warcraft had an awesome first two expansions in BC and WOTLK. After that Cata and MOP were big misses.

Avatar image for princessgomez92
PrincessGomez92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 201

User Lists: 5

#48 PrincessGomez92
Member since 2013 • 5747 Posts

Best for me:

Rise of the Tomb Raider

FEAR 2

Mirror's Edge Catalyst

Assassin's Creed II

Resident Evil Revelations 2

Red Faction II

Worst:

Devil May Cry 2 is complete garbage

Ghosts4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 Ghosts4ever

@princessgomez92 said:

FEAR 2

come on princess. how is FEAR 2 better than original? in what way?

FEAR 1 is masterpiece.