What are some of the most useless in-game features of this gen?

Junky-trunk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 Junky-trunk
Member since 2016 • 228 Posts

Photo mode. Not fanboy related but as a PS4 only owner, I find this such a waste of time when I can already use the share button anytime. I care less about messing with the color correction, dof, etc, and just take snap shots of the game in vanilla.

aroxx_ab

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#2 aroxx_ab
Member since 2005 • 13236 Posts

Achievements still in games, they make you do stupid boring things just to make games longer

GarGx1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#3 GarGx1
Member since 2011 • 10934 Posts

Over use of Depth of Field and Motion Blur (these will always top my list of things Developers shouldn't be incorporating in games)

Still targeting 30fps on consoles, especially with the PS4 Pro and very likely Scorpio, to push sales of 4K TV's. Frame rates are far more important to gaming than UHD resolutions.

Photmode shots and cut scene captures being used to show how a game looks in motion.

CrashNBurn281

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#4 CrashNBurn281
Member since 2014 • 1574 Posts

@aroxx_ab: This. They serve no purpose other than some sense of epeen.

Wizard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Wizard
Member since 2015 • 940 Posts

Am I the only one here who appreciates screen archery? :(

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 72

#6 Pedro
Member since 2002 • 69467 Posts

Achievements.

Ragnarok1051

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Ragnarok1051
Member since 2007 • 20238 Posts

@aroxx_ab said:

Achievements still in games, they make you do stupid boring things just to make games longer

They're not making you do anything.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20
deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 56

#8 deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20
Member since 2006 • 82724 Posts

Photo Mode and Achievements are both great, you people are crazy

Uh, useless features... I don't know, I can't think of anything that is actively useless that is a common trend in games these days.

Renegade_Fury

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#9 Renegade_Fury
Member since 2003 • 21701 Posts

Probably photo mode. Gravity Rush 2 is the only game that I've played where it actually serves a purpose.

Avatar image for deactivated-60bf765068a74
deactivated-60bf765068a74

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 deactivated-60bf765068a74
Member since 2007 • 9558 Posts

KINECT stuff in dead rising 3 that microsoft mandated

you could yell at the kinect to attract zombies f microsoft f the kinect and f capcom for putting it in

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#11 Archangel3371
Member since 2004 • 44163 Posts

Achievements are awesome, I really wish Nintendo would hop on board and implement them in a universal fashion for all games.

I don't really save many screenshots myself but the fact that the feature is there is pretty cool.

Not really sure if there's any current features that I think are useless though.

oflow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

#12  Edited By oflow
Member since 2003 • 5185 Posts

I like achievements you guys must be underachievers ?

I'd say something like those phone apps that sync with the game like the GTAV app that makes the your irl phone like the in game phone

PimpHand_Gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#13 PimpHand_Gamer
Member since 2014 • 3048 Posts

Useless features:

• Way points, probably a feature designed for kids that were breastfed for far too long but they only serve to make gamers unable to think for themselves or create maps or learn to have a common sense of direction.
  • Achievements, trophies, steam cards or any on screen congratulations or you win ...I know damn good and well when I have won, don't need the game to tell me that.
  • Target reticles/crosshair when not aiming at anything.
  • Auto regenerating Health. They would be fine for Fisher Price games but the more serious games should not be auto regenerating our health
  • Easy mode for M rated games...another useless feature that older gamers should be ashamed of themselves for using, especially with how easy today's modern games are as it is on normal and hard.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#14  Edited By uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 58952 Posts

@junky-trunk said:

Photo mode. Not fanboy related but as a PS4 only owner, I find this such a waste of time when I can already use the share button anytime. I care less about messing with the color correction, dof, etc, and just take snap shots of the game in vanilla.

In Amazing Spiderman VS Kingpin taking photos of enemies earned you money to get webbing. Pretty cool game on all 8/16/32 bit platforms.

Loading Video...

Not sure, but think that was the first game where it had a photo-mod. It had a specific gameplay mechanic though.

Regarding qeastion, Ubisoft collectathons. They seem to be deliberately bloating them to artificially increase playtime.

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 72

#15 Pedro
Member since 2002 • 69467 Posts

@pimphand_gamer said:

Useless features:

• Way points, probably a feature designed for kids that were breastfed for far too long but they only serve to make gamers unable to think for themselves or create maps or learn to have a common sense of direction.
  • Achievements, trophies, steam cards or any on screen congratulations or you win ...I know damn good and well when I have won, don't need the game to tell me that.
  • Target reticles/crosshair when not aiming at anything.
  • Auto regenerating Health. They would be fine for Fisher Price games but the more serious games should not be auto regenerating our health
  • Easy mode for M rated games...another useless feature that older gamers should be ashamed of themselves for using, especially with how easy today's modern games are as it is on normal and hard.

Seems like you don't know the meaning of useless.

jun_aka_pekto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By jun_aka_pekto
Member since 2010 • 25255 Posts

@charizard1605 said:

Photo Mode and Achievements are both great, you people are crazy

Uh, useless features... I don't know, I can't think of anything that is actively useless that is a common trend in games these days.

What exactly do achievements give for advancing in the game? I see no use for them either.....at least in the games that I've played.

Avatar image for deactivated-5c1d0901c2aec
deactivated-5c1d0901c2aec

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By deactivated-5c1d0901c2aec
Member since 2016 • 6762 Posts

Achievements, I think. :P

They can be good for teasing the player into playing a game in a manner they may have not; leading the player into experimentation. I'd still prefer an unlock store with more fun in-game items than an arbitrary score though. Even if they weren't impacting to the gameplay, items like Smash Bros. trophies are more fun than achievements for me.

jun_aka_pekto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By jun_aka_pekto
Member since 2010 • 25255 Posts

It's not exactly useless. But, do we really need a jet fighter-style screen for medieval themed games (or any game that doesn't feature a jet fighter), complete with HUD, minimap, auto-tracking, and see-through vision?

Whatever happened to playing it by ear (or sight)?

cdragon_88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 cdragon_88
Member since 2003 • 1841 Posts

Achievements. Never understood the need to have them, insert them, or gain them. I still remember folks getting all excited because MGS4, I believe, was patched with it. I'm over here like, how's that going to improve the game itself? Nope.

Alucard_Prime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#20 Alucard_Prime
Member since 2008 • 10107 Posts

Those 2nd screen apps I would say, I often tried to use them but the devs they hardly support them after launch. Its usually a gimmick.

As for achievements/trophies, etc. , I think they are really cool, and I think that Nintendo not having their own was a mistake. There are so many reasons why I like achievements, I wish they existed from the beginning. For me its like an automatic journal of my gaming adventures, love comparing them with friends, looking at older games and reminiscing, trying to get the rare ones, etc. Its just an extra metagame that's there for the people who want it, and they have numerous facets to them and to me its not about the G score of getting the achievement most of the time. The devs love them as well, most of the time, as it is an inexpensive way of adding more content to your property(games).