(Weak) technical specs of consoles vs PC's

• 148 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

desertpython

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1 desertpython
Member since 2006 • 1277 Posts

I was looking around the internet to see what the GPU equivalent is of the 360/PS3 and I came across this detailed thread:

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/247701-33-what-graphics-card-xbox360-equivalent

So the 360 is equivalent to a X1950 and the PS3 to a 7900+. The onboard memory for the 360 is also miniscule. Now I really can't see why people buy consoles when their hardware is generations behind a PC. Sure, consoles are only built for games and optimised for them without the overhead of an OS, but still, that old obsolete hardware? No wonder PC's are graphically superior. My 6870 would easily murder any current console game. So what do the console fanboys say to that?

Harisemo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 Harisemo
Member since 2010 • 4133 Posts

i say gears of war, uncharted, killzone and plenty of others look fantastic on consoles.

ActicEdge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 ActicEdge
Member since 2008 • 24492 Posts

Will you buy my PC for me? Will you install all my games? Will you deal with any problems I wouldn't get on a console? What is that? No???? Then mind your own business :)

AnnoyedDragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 AnnoyedDragon
Member since 2006 • 9948 Posts

So what do the console fanboys say to that?

desertpython

Well, if they were feeling particularly malicious; they could say something along the lines of.

"Cross platform development is lowest common denominator limited, meaning console limited. What use is that hardware if it doesn't get utilized in games?"

Avatar image for blue_hazy_basic
blue_hazy_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 blue_hazy_basic  Moderator
Member since 2002 • 30854 Posts

Will you buy my PC for me? Will you install all my games? Will you deal with any problems I wouldn't get on a console? What is that? No???? Then mind your own business :)

ActicEdge
www. newegg.com look pre built computers! Install your games? Sure just insert the disk, BAM! its done! Problems on consoles like RROD or YLOD, yea don't worry PC's don't have those! Gaming so simple your niece and gran can do it, and guess what they do! :)
AnnoyedDragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 AnnoyedDragon

i say gears of war, uncharted, killzone and plenty of others look fantastic on consoles.

Harisemo

In other words you need the 1st party to back you up.

Skittles_McGee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Skittles_McGee
Member since 2008 • 9136 Posts
Consoles are designed to be simpler (that doesn't inherently mean simpler games however) and designed to have a standardized system, so to speak. Objectively, PCs and consoles both have their markets and aren't "better" than the other. Objectively, anyway. Subjectively, thats up to the user.
desertpython

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 desertpython

[QUOTE="desertpython"]

AnnoyedDragon

Well, if they were feeling particularly malicious; they could say something along the lines of.

"Cross platform development is lowest common denominator limited, meaning console limited. What use is that hardware if it doesn't get utilized in games?"

It doesn't get utilized because you have supported a cut down console instead of buying a real PC.

lundy86_4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#9 lundy86_4
Member since 2003 • 61534 Posts

Oh God, it's another one. Newer hardware will understandably outperform older hardware.

Consoles offer exclusives that the PC can't and vice versa.

Anastasia1997

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Anastasia1997
Member since 2010 • 641 Posts
[QUOTE="AnnoyedDragon"]

[QUOTE="desertpython"]

...Thats exactly the point :/. Everybody knows how powerful PC is, but the difference between console and PC is much smaller when compared to last gen
Lox_Cropek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

#11 Lox_Cropek
Member since 2008 • 3555 Posts

Will you buy my PC for me? That's pretty easy to do and a lot of people (here) could help you

Will you install all my games? You'll lose 10-15 minutes of your life and never have problems of games freezing because your disc is scratched!

Will you deal with any problems I wouldn't get on a console? Consoles also have MANY problems and most of them you'll need to pay to fix. Although i don't have experience with it since my PS2, PS1, N64 and PC never had any problems that made playing impossible

ActicEdge

desertpython

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 desertpython

ActicEdge

What problems? Your console is just as likely to die as a PC. And then I doubt you'll take it apart and fix it.

desertpython

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 desertpython

[QUOTE="AnnoyedDragon"]

[QUOTE="desertpython"]

Anastasia1997

...Thats exactly the point :/. Everybody knows how powerful PC is, but the difference between console and PC is much smaller when compared to last gen

Take a random game - Fear 2 - 15 options on PC, and console? None.

lundy86_4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#14 lundy86_4
Member since 2003 • 61534 Posts

What problems? Your console is just as likely to die as a PC. And then I doubt you'll take it apart and fix it.

desertpython

He could simply be talking software conflicts. Though they are rare nowadays, it's not unheard of.

ActicEdge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 ActicEdge

[QUOTE="ActicEdge"]

blue_hazy_basic

www. newegg.com look pre built computers! Install your games? Sure just insert the disk, BAM! its done! Problems on consoles like RROD or YLOD, yea don't worry PC's don't have those! Gaming so simple your niece and gran can do it, and guess what they do! :)

You're gonna buy me a prebuilt comp!!! I knew I liked you for a reason.

Your gonna insert and install my disks too, make me not deal with all this going through steam to play games and make sure it all runs ace and optimized? Sweet no complaints there.

And your going to fix all the hitches specific to PC gaming for me? Sure consoles have em to but that isn't what I asked about is it ;)
If I had a niece and she could do it I'd let her teach me. If half the amount of people I knew with game capable PCs gamed, I might consider but trust me, they aren't.

AnnoyedDragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 AnnoyedDragon

...Thats exactly the point :/. Everybody knows how powerful PC is, but the difference between console and PC is much smaller when compared to last genAnastasia1997

I suppose the merit that can be argued for that; is you don't need a high end PC to play the latest games. Which is a common criticism of console gamers to exaggerate that PC needs to keep upgrading every 6 months, it wasn't a valid criticism before; and it certainly isn't now.

The result being even cheap hardware can get 1080p in most games today.

Anastasia1997

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Anastasia1997
Member since 2010 • 641 Posts

[QUOTE="Anastasia1997"]...Thats exactly the point :/. Everybody knows how powerful PC is, but the difference between console and PC is much smaller when compared to last genAnnoyedDragon

I suppose the merit that can be argued for that; is you don't need a high end PC to play the latest games. Which is a common criticism of console gamers to exaggerate that PC needs to keep upgrading every 6 months, it wasn't a valid criticism before; and it certainly isn't now.

The result being even cheap hardware can get 1080p in most games today.

Ya, just a common misconception
ActicEdge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 ActicEdge

[QUOTE="ActicEdge"]

Will you buy my PC for me? That's pretty easy to do and a lot of people (here) could help you

Will you install all my games? You'll lose 10-15 minutes of your life and never have problems of games freezing because your disc is scratched!

Will you deal with any problems I wouldn't get on a console? Consoles also have MANY problems and most of them you'll need to pay to fix. Although i don't have experience with it since my PS2, PS1, N64 and PC never had any problems that made playing impossible

Lox_Cropek

You guys will buy me a PC? Man the GS community is loving.

I asked if you would install it, not what the benefit was.

I never said consoles don't have problems, I asked if you would deal with them for me since I have no will to do it myself. If you're not then please, don't bug me with this PC non sense, I have my reasons and simply have no real reason to move, I like where I am. As a console gamer, that's what I have to say to anyone pushing PC gaming on me, either do it for me or respect my choice.

desertpython

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 desertpython

[QUOTE="blue_hazy_basic"][QUOTE="ActicEdge"]

ActicEdge

Your gonna insert and install my disks too, make me not deal with all this going through steam to play games and make sure it all runs ace and optimized? Sweet no complaints there.

And your going to fix all the hitches specific to PC gaming for me? Sure consoles have em to but that isn't what I asked about is it ;)
If I had a niece and she could do it I'd let her teach me. If half the amount of people I knew with game capable PCs gamed, I might consider but trust me, they aren't.

Go through steam and run the games optimized? What? You install the game, it autoupdates. You press play and it WORKS! WOW!

ActicEdge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 ActicEdge

[QUOTE="ActicEdge"]

desertpython

Who said anything about dying? :?

blue_hazy_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 blue_hazy_basic  Moderator

[QUOTE="blue_hazy_basic"][QUOTE="ActicEdge"]

ActicEdge

Will you buy me all 3 consoles? lol Buying a computer isn't hard. As for "optimising" games, I think you're lost in the early 90's, 99% of games are simply insert disk and play, just like consoles. Hell with steam you don't even need a disk and you can play from any computer. How is that a bad thing? :? My guess is most people install at least some of their games on their consoles (assuming they have one) and most games need patches. What specifically are the hitches you're refering to with PC games?

ActicEdge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 ActicEdge

[QUOTE="ActicEdge"]

[QUOTE="blue_hazy_basic"] www. newegg.com look pre built computers! Install your games? Sure just insert the disk, BAM! its done! Problems on consoles like RROD or YLOD, yea don't worry PC's don't have those! Gaming so simple your niece and gran can do it, and guess what they do! :)desertpython

Go through steam and run the games optimized? What? You install the game, it autoupdates. You press play and it WORKS! WOW!

My last experience with steam was my friend trying to play black ops. Let me just say no, it was not as easy as install, auto update run. If people want to deal with that its cool, I however have zero patience for that. And he had to log into steam to play the game.

Optimizing was a seperate issue, the idea that not all games are optimized well for all hardware. Not the biggest issue but an issue none the less.

And for the record, I am not knocking PC gaming, I am pointing out parts of it that makes me not want it as the way I primarily play games since TC called out console fans.

zenszulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

#23 zenszulu
Member since 2004 • 1907 Posts

Wait new technology is more powerful than older technology that costs less? I never knew this, what a way to state the obvious, sadly like most here I dont play the hardware I play the games and I dont let hardware or any kind of tech specs influence how much I like the games, as good games will be good if they are made well not just because it looks prettier than the others.

blue_hazy_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 blue_hazy_basic  Moderator

[QUOTE="desertpython"]

[QUOTE="ActicEdge"]

ActicEdge

My last experience with steam was my friend trying to play black ops. Let me just say no, it was not as easy as install, auto update run. If people want to deal with that its cool, I however have zero patience for that. And he had to log into steam to play the game.

Optimizing was a seperate issue, the idea that not all games are optimized well for all hardware. Not the biggest issue but an issue none the less.

And for the record, I am not knocking PC gaming, I am pointing out parts of it that makes me not want it as the way I primarily play games since TC called out console fans.

Thats like saying I say someone playing FONV on a PS3 and it was buggy ergo all console games are buggy and crash :?

NaveedLife

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 NaveedLife
Member since 2010 • 17179 Posts

ActicEdge

I love how people complain about installing a game. I know man it is pretty hard to stick a disc in the tray and hit a couple buttons. Tough stuff indeed. I never ever have problems with my comp, I dont know what the heck people do to their poor machines :P.

ActicEdge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 ActicEdge

[QUOTE="ActicEdge"]

[QUOTE="blue_hazy_basic"] www. newegg.com look pre built computers! Install your games? Sure just insert the disk, BAM! its done! Problems on consoles like RROD or YLOD, yea don't worry PC's don't have those! Gaming so simple your niece and gran can do it, and guess what they do! :)blue_hazy_basic

Will you buy me all 3 consoles? lol Buying a computer isn't hard. As for "optimising" games, I think you're lost in the early 90's, 99% of games are simply insert disk and play, just like consoles. Hell with steam you don't even need a disk and you can play from any computer. How is that a bad thing? :? My guess is most people install at least some of their games on their consoles (assuming they have one) and most games need patches. What specifically are the hitches you're refering to with PC games?

No but unlike you, TC called out console fans if you read what he posted :|

I explained in a previous post up there, refer to that. I also am not "knocking PC gaming" more than explaining why I personally hold little interest. I am not big on anything that requires me to take time not playing to do.

Also, the bolded hasn't really been my own personal experience granted I fully admit I am a PC novice if there ever has been one.

streetridaz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 streetridaz
Member since 2003 • 3276 Posts
[QUOTE="NaveedLife"]

[QUOTE="ActicEdge"]

I love how people complain about installing a game. I know man it is pretty hard to stick a disc in the tray and hit a couple buttons. Tough stuff indeed. I never ever have problems with my comp, I dont know what the heck people do to their poor machines :P.

right there with you.
dakan45

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#28 dakan45
Member since 2009 • 18819 Posts
Why you say? Because those "equivalent" hardware on consoles run games better than the "equivalent" pc hardware would run it. So either the pc hardware are not as superior as pc they say they are. Or the pc versions are crappy ports and developers making games with consoles in mind and dont bother much with pc. So people choose to go with the platform with most support and compability and optimization that the game engine will run better since thats what it was designed for. Next question.
blue_hazy_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 blue_hazy_basic  Moderator

[QUOTE="blue_hazy_basic"]

[QUOTE="ActicEdge"]

ActicEdge

I explained in a previous post up there, refer to that. I also am not "knocking PC gaming" more than explaining why I personally hold little interest. I am not big on anything that requires me to take time not playing to do.

Also, the bolded hasn't really been my own personal experience granted I fully admit I am a PC novice if there ever has been one.

Barring 1 game (FM '10 right at launch and it was fixed within minutes by a post by support in steam) I don't think I've encountered a problem with steam. Sure PC games, like their console counterparts, have bugs. The one advantage with the PC game is that you often don't have to wait for the devs to fix them! And PC games in the 90's could be a pain to set up properly, but that is almost an extinct problem these days.

ActicEdge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 ActicEdge

[QUOTE="ActicEdge"]

NaveedLife

Generally notdifficult experience but, is it not a legitimate point to say I maybe just don't want to install anything? People are testing my intelligence, yes, I can install a game, the point is, I would rather not. And in general, my luck with computers is just not positive.

desertpython

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 desertpython

Wait new technology is more powerful than older technology that costs less? I never knew this, what a way to state the obvious, sadly like most here I dont play the hardware I play the games and I dont let hardware or any kind of tech specs influence how much I like the games, as good games will be good if they are made well not just because it looks prettier than the others.

zenszulu

If you have a good game that looks like like Doom 95 and the same game that looks like Crysis what would you go for? Graphics are key.

desertpython

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 desertpython

Why you say? Because those "equivalent" hardware on consoles run games better than the "equivalent" pc hardware would run it. So either the pc hardware are not as superior as pc they say they are. Or the pc versions are crappy ports and developers making games with consoles in mind and dont bother much with pc. So people choose to go with the platform with most support and compability and optimization that the game engine will run better since thats what it was designed for. Next question.dakan45

Most PC games are crappy ports because they are designed for console not PC, and lazily ported over, and it doesn't matter if a console runs a game better, I'll still go for PC.

ActicEdge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 ActicEdge

[QUOTE="ActicEdge"]

[QUOTE="blue_hazy_basic"] Will you buy me all 3 consoles? lol Buying a computer isn't hard. As for "optimising" games, I think you're lost in the early 90's, 99% of games are simply insert disk and play, just like consoles. Hell with steam you don't even need a disk and you can play from any computer. How is that a bad thing? :? My guess is most people install at least some of their games on their consoles (assuming they have one) and most games need patches. What specifically are the hitches you're refering to with PC games?

blue_hazy_basic

Barring 1 game (FM '10 right at launch and it was fixed within minutes by a post by support in steam) I don't think I've encountered a problem with steam. Sure PC games, like their console counterparts, have bugs. The one advantage with the PC game is that you often don't have to wait for the devs to fix them! And PC games in the 90's could be a pain to set up properly, but that is almost an extinct problem these days.

That's fine, I am not saying PC gaming is all crashes and terrible menus and etc. I am saying I just am not big on the stuff when it does happen (and yes people, I will not buy a game with bugs in it, as in I have never owned a game and never will own a game with serious bugs in it). as for the problem now a days, I only have what I have personally experienced to go off of, I trust what you are saying, I'm simply offering a different perspective. That and I was responding to TC with that post though I expected to be ran over by PC gaming fans.

adamosmaki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#34 adamosmaki
Member since 2007 • 10718 Posts

[QUOTE="dakan45"]Why you say? Because those "equivalent" hardware on consoles run games better than the "equivalent" pc hardware would run it. So either the pc hardware are not as superior as pc they say they are. Or the pc versions are crappy ports and developers making games with consoles in mind and dont bother much with pc. So people choose to go with the platform with most support and compability and optimization that the game engine will run better since thats what it was designed for. Next question.desertpython

Most PC games are crappy ports because they are designed for console not PC, and lazily ported over, and it doesn't matter if a console runs a game better, I'll still go for PC.

for every 1 bad port there are 5 good/great ports For every Saints row there is a Dirt 2/ borderlands/Call of Duty BO/ Fallout Nv / Burnout Paradise Now days for a game to turn out worst on Pc devs must either do it on purpose or they must be completely incompetent when comes to developing on Pc
jun_aka_pekto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 jun_aka_pekto
Member since 2010 • 25255 Posts

Well, the OS that consoles operate on are pretty miniscule in terms of resources used. That might help a lot.

Most PCs have Windows. Much as I hate to admit it, it's like that commercial (here in the US) of a car dragging a boat anchor. :lol:

Wii4Fun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 Wii4Fun
Member since 2008 • 1472 Posts

So what?. PC hardware can be updated so it will be more powerful. Obviously, consoles have certain advantages over PC or everyone would be a PC gamer. There is PC gaming and there is console gaming. It is up to the person to choose if he wants one or both. Stick with your PC and let others play on their consoles.

Anyways, graphics on the HD consoles look great. They're fine for the average gamer. Only tech enthusiasts care if there isn't enough shadows, or no tesselation and all that stuff. there has to be a reason why millions game on consoles.

zenszulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

#37 zenszulu
Member since 2004 • 1907 Posts

[QUOTE="zenszulu"]

desertpython

If you have a good game that looks like like Doom 95 and the same game that looks like Crysis what would you go for? Graphics are key.

If I get enjoyment from something does it matter? I have played the Football Manager series of games for years and got hundreds of hours of fun from them and up until recently the featured very little graphics at all and even now it is basic, most of the time the game pretty much resembles spread sheets, does this look put me off? No as a good game is good to me and many other regardless of how it looks, if you feel other wise that is your decision but I dont base how good a game is with the graphics at the top of the list strangely.

Hakkai007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 Hakkai007
Member since 2005 • 4905 Posts

[QUOTE="desertpython"]

[QUOTE="dakan45"]Why you say? Because those "equivalent" hardware on consoles run games better than the "equivalent" pc hardware would run it. So either the pc hardware are not as superior as pc they say they are. Or the pc versions are crappy ports and developers making games with consoles in mind and dont bother much with pc. So people choose to go with the platform with most support and compability and optimization that the game engine will run better since thats what it was designed for. Next question.adamosmaki

for every 1 bad port there are 5 good/great ports For every Saints row there is a Dirt 2/ borderlands/Call of Duty BO/ Fallout Nv / Burnout Paradise Now days for a game to turn out worst on Pc devs must either do it on purpose or they must be completely incompetent when comes to developing on Pc

Black Ops was a terrible terrible port.

And I am a PC gamer too.

It runs much much much worse than MW2 and is using an older version of the game engine.

Heck it runs worse than World at War.

It's one of the worst ports I have come across excluding games like GTA IV and the Force Unleashed series.

MFDOOM1983

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 MFDOOM1983
Member since 2010 • 8465 Posts

[QUOTE="adamosmaki"][QUOTE="desertpython"]

Hakkai007

And I am a PC gamer too.

It runs much much much worse than MW2 and is using an older version of the game engine.

It's one of the worst ports I have come across excluding games like GTA IV and the Force Unleashed series.

I hear black ops is an unoptimized piece of poo but i don't have any issues playing gtaIV. The episodes however were both terrible ports.
desertpython

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 desertpython

[QUOTE="adamosmaki"][QUOTE="desertpython"]

Hakkai007

And I am a PC gamer too.

I'd agree that World at War is sloppy. It stutters on a 6870 @ 1080p. GTA 4 isn't that bad. At least its stable, although I only patched it up to 1.03.

desertpython

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 desertpython

So what?. PC hardware can be updated so it will be more powerful. Obviously, consoles have certain advantages over PC or everyone would be a PC gamer. There is PC gaming and there is console gaming. It is up to the person to choose if he wants one or both. Stick with your PC and let others play on their consoles.

Anyways, graphics on the HD consoles look great. They're fine for the average gamer. Only tech enthusiasts care if there isn't enough shadows, or no tesselation and all that stuff. there has to be a reason why millions game on consoles.

Wii4Fun

I know, but 3 year old parts? And if you look carefully they don't look great. Low draw distance, upscaled textures and tesselation? That would make them scream for help.

15strong

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 15strong
Member since 2007 • 2806 Posts

TC, do you feel threatened? Why do you feel like you have to prove something. You can have the best hardware available, but the thing that really matters is the develoeprs and how they utilize that hardware. If a super weak console is putting out games like uncharted 2 that match high end pc titles, than that says a lot about the developers behind the game. I have said it before, and will continue to say it. No matter how much you want to believe, you are not gaming in the next-gen, and consoles continuously put out games that can match what pc has to offer.

AnnoyedDragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 AnnoyedDragon

TC, do you feel threatened? Why do you feel like you have to prove something. You can have the best hardware available, but the thing that really matters is the develoeprs and how they utilize that hardware. If a super weak console is putting out games like uncharted 2 that match high end pc titles, than that says a lot about the developers behind the game. I have said it before, and will continue to say it. No matter how much you want to believe, you are not gaming in the next-gen, and consoles continuously put out games that can match what pc has to offer.

15strong

You almost sound like you are taking pride in the fact that consoles have helped stagnate progress.

Of course, it's still fantasy to claim a console can match a high end PC. Crysis may be old now, but it's still high end.

Solid_Tango

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 Solid_Tango
Member since 2009 • 8609 Posts
There is no doubt that Pcs are years light above consoles, the thing is that most devs are on the console wagon, and there isnt much variety on PC now ( sure you can name me 200 games each different genre but most of them will be 5+ older and look fugly) The only dev that took all the resourses of the pc and made a good quality game is crytek ( crysis) but they also jumped into the console wagon, now imagine a developer like naughty dog making games exclusive for pc? The pc lacks devs, more action oriented games, less mmorpgs and less strategy if they are to capture the casuals attention.
ActicEdge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 ActicEdge

[QUOTE="15strong"]

AnnoyedDragon

You almost sound like you are taking pride in the fact that consoles have helped stagnate progress.

Of course, it's still fantasy to claim a console can match a high end PC. Crysis may be old now, but it's still high end.

Consoles are just hardware, they can't stagnate anything. Only developers can do that. Don't get mad at the hardware, get mad at the intentions of the devs.

AnnoyedDragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 AnnoyedDragon

There is no doubt that Pcs are years light above consoles, the thing is that most devs are on the console wagon, and there isnt much variety on PC now ( sure you can name me 200 games each different genre but most of them will be 5+ older and look fugly) The only dev that took all the resourses of the pc and made a good quality game is crytek ( crysis) but they also jumped into the console wagon, now imagine a developer like naughty dog making games exclusive for pc? The pc lacks devs, more action oriented games, less mmorpgs and less strategy if they are to capture the casuals attention.Solid_Tango

There are several parts of your post that I take issue with.

First that you are describing cross platform development as "jumping on the console wagon", when plenty of console developers have "jumped on the PC wagon" as well. Your description makes it sound like a one way street, when it should be common knowledge at this point that it is two way.

Secondly that you say "most developers" are jumping on the console wagon, when PC is still outperforming consoles in exclusive games by a very large margin.

Thirdly that you are suggesting that a platform with access to both PC and console games doesn't have variety.

Consoles are just hardware, they can't stagnate anything. Only developers can do that. Don't get mad at the hardware, get mad at the intentions of the devs.

ActicEdge

Developers aren't choosing to build their games around 512mb total memory, console hardware forces them to do that.

Hardware is the problem, not developers decision to survive in this high cost environment.

TheMoreYouOwn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 TheMoreYouOwn
Member since 2010 • 3927 Posts
God of War 3 looks incredible on my console. Wish I could test it out on a pc and compare...oh wait. I can't. ;)
desertpython

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 desertpython

God of War 3 looks incredible on my console. Wish I could test it out on a pc and compare...oh wait. I can't. ;)TheMoreYouOwn

How about Crysis? No, you can't. How about Metro 2033 in DirectX 11? Can't do that either. How about the Witcher? No, not that either.

desertpython

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 desertpython

15strong

Uncharted matching high-end PC's? Really? A 4850 could max that out. Look closely and see the off draw distance and blurry textures.

AnnoyedDragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 AnnoyedDragon

God of War 3 looks incredible on my console. Wish I could test it out on a pc and compare...oh wait. I can't. ;)TheMoreYouOwn

Congratulations, you can name a exclusive title. Of course the game was developed by a Sony in house developer; and published by Sony themselves. So it being exclusive doesn't really say much, other than Sony has money and is willing to invest it in themselves.

Of course I could simply throw out the name of a high profile PC exclusive, but undoubtedly people on the console side would declare they don't care about that game. Guess what I think of GOW 3?

Of course if it actually was ported to PC in some strange alternative universe where Sony didn't have complete control of it. It could actually meet its 60fps/1080p hype, where the PS3 failed.