Was the wii ever maxed out graphically?

• 91 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

ChubbyGuy40

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#51 ChubbyGuy40
Member since 2007 • 26442 Posts

That's pretty cool. Did you meet any other game graphic artists?

As far as the Conduit developers are concerned, it would be interesting to see what they can do on the Wii U. I don't think they'll start developing masterpieces, but I do think they might craft an appealing FPS.

GreySeal9

I got to meet a guy who was an environmental artist for Dead Space :D He's a teacher at the school. He's currently working on a Facebook game. I believe it's called Red Crucible or something along the lines of that. From what I hear it's quite fun for being a FB game. They have regulars from film studios like Pixar and a few other video game companies that work with EA and Ubisoft also.

I never saw HVS as mediocre. Hunter the Reckoning was one of the best series last year. The original was a ton of fun and so were it's sequels. I know they can develop some great games, but I really do think developing Wii-only screwed them over. The Grinder was supposed to be a successor to Hunter as an FPS on the Wii (that plays similar to L4D) and the same style on 360. They're having trouble finding a publisher :(

GreySeal9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 41

#52 GreySeal9
Member since 2010 • 28247 Posts

[QUOTE="GreySeal9"]

That's pretty cool. Did you meet any other game graphic artists?

As far as the Conduit developers are concerned, it would be interesting to see what they can do on the Wii U. I don't think they'll start developing masterpieces, but I do think they might craft an appealing FPS.

ChubbyGuy40

I got to meet a guy who was an environmental artist for Dead Space :D He's a teacher at the school. He's currently working on a Facebook game. I believe it's called Red Crucible or something along the lines of that. From what I hear it's quite fun for being a FB game. They have regulars from film studios like Pixar and a few other video game companies that work with EA and Ubisoft also.

I never saw HVS as mediocre. Hunter the Reckoning was one of the best series last year. The original was a ton of fun and so were it's sequels. I know they can develop some great games, but I really do think developing Wii-only screwed them over. The Grinder was supposed to be a successor to Hunter as an FPS on the Wii (that plays similar to L4D) and the same style on 360. They're having trouble finding a publisher :(

Do you have any idea why they decided to develop Wii-only?

ChubbyGuy40

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#53 ChubbyGuy40
Member since 2007 • 26442 Posts

GreySeal9

My guess is that they, at the time, were the only devs that were actually trying to make a good FPS for the Wii. With such a large crowd, booming popularity, and an extreme lack of the most important genre this gen, it did seem like a perfect business opportunity. In the end it just didn't have enough quality. Maybe they just like working with Nintendo also. Hopefully Conduit 3DS will turn out to be a killer app.

SuperFlakeman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#54 SuperFlakeman
Member since 2011 • 7411 Posts

Galaxy 2 is 60 fps and Zelda probably puts the hardware to the test in terms of scope.

lightleggy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 65

#55 lightleggy
Member since 2008 • 16090 Posts

[QUOTE="Michael0134567"][QUOTE="super600"]

No! Therestill a lot of leg room to max out the system, but no devs have actually tried to do this. A couple of devs like Sonic Team Japan actually tried to create great looking games on the system and they have succeeded.

super600

Sonic Colors looks amazing!:)

Yep! Monster Hunter Tri also looks incredible on the HDTV I'm currently using to.

your hdtv has nothing to do with it...HDTVs dont magically upscale a game res...why cant people understand that? 480i in an HDTV is the same as 480i in a SDTV...
lightleggy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#56 lightleggy

[QUOTE="Michael0134567"][QUOTE="super600"]

The great thing is I have a hard time seeing jaggies barely in this game compared to other Wii games.

super600

Well that's good,how big is your TV?I remember playing Red Steel on my aunt's 42 inch HDTV with component cables and I didn't see any jaggies.

It's a 42 inch Sony Bravia HD TV.

no difference, if you play with standard cables it will look standard, wii cant do HD, and tv's wont increase filters, you either have component cables or its just because of the size of the tv, but the tv being HD has nothing to do with it because the wiin cant run HD
GTSaiyanjin2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#57 GTSaiyanjin2
Member since 2005 • 6018 Posts

[QUOTE="super600"]

[QUOTE="Michael0134567"] Sonic Colors looks amazing!:)lightleggy

Yep! Monster Hunter Tri also looks incredible on the HDTV I'm currently using to.

your hdtv has nothing to do with it...HDTVs dont magically upscale a game res...why cant people understand that? 480i in an HDTV is the same as 480i in a SDTV...

Not really an HDTV displays one resolution only.... its either 720p or 1080p. If you feed it anything other than its native resolutions then it has to scale the image. Some TV's handle SD content better than others ranging from poor to decent. I do get what your trying to say though which is also true as far as the resolution the TV is receiving. And I also get what he was trying to say as some HDTV's display 480p content poorly.

SuperFlakeman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#58 SuperFlakeman
Member since 2011 • 7411 Posts

GreySeal9

Because with Wii they saw an opportunity to evolve, they used to be doing shovelware games.

Can't just jump from the lowest tier to highest you gotta start somewhere. Higher budget to make a PS3/360 + there was a lack of 3rd party core (FPS) games on Wii, they would've been ignored had they been working on a generic and mediocre game for PS3/360, on Wii they had graphics as a selling point because nobody else besides Nintendo was pushing the hardware.

They had the money to self fund Conduit, there was an opportunity to fill a void it's not like the market was over saturated with traditional games, IGN Nintendo basically took the job of marketing the game because there wasn't really much to cover anyway :P (this helped alot btw) but in the end they just didn't deliver. I for one respect their intention, I got Conduit and I loved it for the controls, especially the customization but after GoldenEye released there was no need for me to even consider Conduit 2, I just craved for an FPS at the time with Wii pointer controls.

osan0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#59 osan0
Member since 2004 • 17844 Posts
[QUOTE="super600"]

[QUOTE="Michael0134567"] Sonic Colors looks amazing!:)lightleggy

well....it kinda does. if you HDTV didnt change the res then wii games would only take up a small corner of your screen, not the whole thing. its called upscaling. the TV basically takes the 480i/p/720P (the latter if its a 1080P telly) and stretches it accross the whole screen. of course theres a cost to this. a stretched image can have severe AA problems and in extreme cases even look pixellated. but a HDTV always makes an image its native res no matter what resolution its recieving by stretching the image out. some do this upscaling process better than others. it also upscales PS3 and 360 games if it needs to. a 1080P HD TV will upscale 720P PS3 and 360 games. of course its always best to give your HDTV data at its native res and remove the upscaling process. any PC gamer will tell you its always best to run at an LCDs native res...otherwise the picture can get icky. HDTVs dont upscale a games res as such (they dont make a wii/PS3/360 render in 1080P) . they upscale the end result...the data coming in from the console. on topic...yes. i think xenoblade has pretty much maxed it out.
xdeathpandax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#60 xdeathpandax
Member since 2010 • 170 Posts

Monster Hunter tri and twilight princess are games that come to mind when I think about good graphics on Wii...

Half-Way

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#61 Half-Way
Member since 2010 • 5001 Posts

Silent Hill SM, Mario galaxy 2, Metroid Prime Corruption, Sonic Colors, Monster Hunter Tri ect.

Michael0134567

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#62 Michael0134567
Member since 2008 • 28651 Posts

[QUOTE="ScottMescudi"]

I think it's the Conduit 2

GreySeal9

IDK, I think the Conduit 2 is pretty ugly.

I didn't play it though (I'm not going to spend my money on that). I'm just going off of what I've seen on the internet.

Ugly?:? It looks pretty impressive in person,at least in my opinion.

nameless12345

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#63 nameless12345
Member since 2010 • 15125 Posts

No, there is no Factor 5 or Rare to show what it really can do.

Half-Way

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#64 Half-Way

nameless12345

Retro studios >>>>> Factor 5/Rare

lightleggy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#65 lightleggy

[QUOTE="lightleggy"][QUOTE="super600"]

osan0

well....it kinda does. if you HDTV didnt change the res then wii games would only take up a small corner of your screen, not the whole thing. its called upscaling. the TV basically takes the 480i/p/720P (the latter if its a 1080P telly) and stretches it accross the whole screen. of course theres a cost to this. a stretched image can have severe AA problems and in extreme cases even look pixellated. but a HDTV always makes an image its native res no matter what resolution its recieving by stretching the image out. some do this upscaling process better than others. it also upscales PS3 and 360 games if it needs to. a 1080P HD TV will upscale 720P PS3 and 360 games. of course its always best to give your HDTV data at its native res and remove the upscaling process. any PC gamer will tell you its always best to run at an LCDs native res...otherwise the picture can get icky. HDTVs dont upscale a games res as such (they dont make a wii/PS3/360 render in 1080P) . they upscale the end result...the data coming in from the console. on topic...yes. i think xenoblade has pretty much maxed it out.

thats only aspect ratio, the quality will not increase, Im not sure but I think there were wide SD tvs, wide SD will look the same as wide HD with a wii game because the wii simply cannot use something bigger than 480i/p

Litchie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#66 Litchie
Member since 2003 • 34689 Posts
I don't think "maxing out" a console is possible. You can always make something look better.
Avatar image for YearoftheSnake5
YearoftheSnake5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 55

#67 YearoftheSnake5
Member since 2005 • 9716 Posts

I guess you could say that Super Mario Galaxy 2 managed to max it out graphically. Wii is basically an overclocked gamecube with some more ram. It can't go too far beyond what the original Xbox did, but a lot of games that have been made for it don't show off everything it can do.

nameless12345

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#68 nameless12345
Member since 2010 • 15125 Posts

[QUOTE="nameless12345"]

Half-Way

If you mean by pushing hardware - not even close.

ugoo18

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#69 ugoo18
Member since 2010 • 1005 Posts

Personally i automatically disqualify any game that only runs at 30fps simply because if F-Zero GX can do it at 60fps and still look stunning with 29 aggresive racer AI on the GCN then i see no reason why other games can't do it. So that kills MHTri right away. Also i don't count 2D or 2.5D games, on-rails games or ports of last gen games.

The contenders IMO are Red Steel 2, Metroid Prime 3, Super Mario Galaxy 1 and 2, Endless Ocean, Metroid Other M, The Last Story and Xenoblade.

Xenoblade takes that title easily, having that kind of scale while running at a locked 60fps and still looking beautiful (Except character faces those do look a bit strange) IMO edges out those other games.

Half-Way

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#70 Half-Way

[QUOTE="Half-Way"]

[QUOTE="nameless12345"]

nameless12345

by pushing hardware?

last time Rare "pushed" hardware was on the N64..

While Retro did it on the GCN and on the Wii

Factor 5 pushed the GCN i guess. While they pushed the PS3 beyond the boundaries of bearable gameplay :P

KevinPlanet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#71 KevinPlanet
Member since 2003 • 941 Posts

Super Mario Galaxy 1 & 2 looked amazing, please don't say the Conduit 1 or 2 those games look terrible

Half-Way

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#72 Half-Way

Personally i automatically disqualify any game that only runs at 30fps simply because if F-Zero GX can do it at 60fps and still look stunning with 29 aggresive racer AI on the GCN then i see no reason why other games can't do it. So that kills MHTri right away. Also i don't count 2D or 2.5D games, on-rails games or ports of last gen games.

The contenders IMO are Red Steel 2, Metroid Prime 3, Super Mario Galaxy 1 and 2, Endless Ocean, Metroid Other M, The Last Story and Xenoblade.

Xenoblade takes that title easily, having that kind of scale while running at a locked 60fps and still looking beautiful (Except character faces those do look a bit strange) IMO edges out those other games.

ugoo18

i have to agree with this. Especially considering the fact that there are barely any loading screens as far as i can see.

ugoo18

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#73 ugoo18
Member since 2010 • 1005 Posts

[QUOTE="nameless12345"]

[QUOTE="Half-Way"]

Half-Way

by pushing hardware?

Factor 5 pushed the GCN i guess. While they pushed the PS3 beyond the boundaries of bearable gameplay :P

Is it really fair to compare a dying or ageing Rare to Nintendo's new wonder child on the GCN, but i do agree about Retro doing more than Factor 5.

PhazonBlazer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#74 PhazonBlazer
Member since 2007 • 12013 Posts

Skyward Sword looks really good, the art style is really catching on.

kuu2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#75 kuu2
Member since 2005 • 12063 Posts

Yes, back when it was called the Gamecube.

UCF_Knight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#76 UCF_Knight
Member since 2010 • 6863 Posts

For its sake, let's say no. :P

The Galaxy games look really good though.

Skyward Sword looks really good, the art style is really catching on.

PhazonBlazer

I love that styIe. It's actually nice to look at the environments. Same goes for Wind Waker.. I thought the half/realistic look of TP was a little bland. Though they may be able to change my mind with an HD Zelda game on the WiiU.

mitu123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

#77 mitu123
Member since 2006 • 155290 Posts

[QUOTE="nameless12345"]

[QUOTE="Half-Way"]

Half-Way

by pushing hardware?

You're kidding me right? Conker on Xbox is one of the best looking games on there.

Avatar image for turtlethetaffer
turtlethetaffer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 144

#78 turtlethetaffer
Member since 2009 • 18973 Posts

Alot of games look amazing on it I don't know if it was maxed out.

flashn00b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#79 flashn00b
Member since 2006 • 3949 Posts

The Conduit.

Lucianu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#80 Lucianu
Member since 2007 • 10347 Posts

ugoo18

Yeah.. the faces. Detail had to suffer somewere, the character models themselfs look extremely poor, the animations are good, nothing wrong with them. But the character bodies look like early PS2, and the character faces look straight Dreamcast quality.

Though yes, the world is wonderfully detailed with beautiful landscapes, all in open, which is nothing short of a technical marvel on the Wii. Though i never heard it beeing at 60FPS, that's mind boggling, i'm out of words if that is actually true.

LegatoSkyheart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 1

#81 LegatoSkyheart
Member since 2009 • 29733 Posts

Metroid Other M, Conduit 2, Super Mario Galaxy 2, and No More Heroes 2 look good.

Monster Hunter Tri looks good too.

Avatar image for deactivated-5ef52b89b6fd0
deactivated-5ef52b89b6fd0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#82 deactivated-5ef52b89b6fd0
Member since 2009 • 4928 Posts

I would say the SMG games maxxed it out, games looked pretty good, and the only games worth a damn on that joke of a system. Nintendo is going to really have to do something amazing to get me back, at this point it is nothing but a over hyped kiddy system, with a few decent games in between, not a contender.

millerlight89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#83 millerlight89
Member since 2007 • 18658 Posts
If SMG is truly the best looking game on the Wii, then that is pathetic.
BPoole96

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#84 BPoole96
Member since 2008 • 22818 Posts

The Destiny of Zorro is the pinnacle of Wii graphics

Lucianu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#85 Lucianu
Member since 2007 • 10347 Posts

I would say the SMG games maxxed it out, games looked pretty good, and the only games worth a damn on that joke of a system. Nintendo is going to really have to do something amazing to get me back, at this point it is nothing but a over hyped kiddy system, with a few decent games in between, not a contender.

Advid-Gamer

The Wii is a nice complementary system to the PC.

Avatar image for HeavyMetalKirby
HeavyMetalKirby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#86 HeavyMetalKirby
Member since 2010 • 550 Posts

Metroid prime 3 looked really good imo

LegatoSkyheart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 1

#87 LegatoSkyheart
Member since 2009 • 29733 Posts

If SMG is truly the best looking game on the Wii, then that is pathetic.millerlight89

How is that Pathetic?

PhazonBlazer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#88 PhazonBlazer
Member since 2007 • 12013 Posts

Actually SMG2 looks really good.

malfion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#89 malfion
Member since 2005 • 25 Posts

SMG2 has better graphics than most PS3 games(assuming both are not in HD, which is my setup). Its probably the textures.

UCF_Knight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#90 UCF_Knight
Member since 2010 • 6863 Posts

SMG2 has better graphics than most PS3 games(assuming both are not in HD, which is my setup). Its probably the textures.

malfion

O.o

SMG looks great, but not THAT great.

juno84

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#91 juno84
Member since 2004 • 1019 Posts

The term "maxed out" needs to go. If any game on the Wii (or any other system) has used 100% of resources available at any point in time, then it's hardware has been maxed out. From a developer standpoint, would you want to do this? If you are consistently trying to use as much of the available hardware resources as possible, you'd have very inconsistent environments in terms of detail relative to scale. Unless you are doing full offscreen rendering, there is no way to know exactly what a player will look at and how much of a systems resources will be needed to render from that particularly vantage. Ideally, you want a buffer in resources being used so you don't get heavy slow down.

Hardware utilization is only a part of graphics fidelity. The larger part with aging console systems is to be able to create great graphics and a consistent aesthetic within those confines.