Vita has no real chance against the 3DS

This topic is locked from further discussion.

biggotorium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 biggotorium
Member since 2011 • 76 Posts
Already we are seeing a big rise in the 3DS's japanese sales after getting a just a remake (OOT)... even depite its price point, and as the DS is phased out adopters will move to the 3DS. The reason? Is because of the games. Mario, Mario Kart, SSB, Pokemon each game a megaton in the handheld rhealm. They appeal to gamers of all demographics, sexes, ages (not just adolescent males) and they have a MASSIVE army of loyal followers. Why are people giving the Vita a chance? It's graphics? What did they do for the PSP against the DS? Do people really believe that most handheld consumers are looking for a portable console experience? So they can play Uncharted on the bus? They never have and they never will. Most of you are stuck thinking like hardcore gamers and can't see the bigger picture, which is that the majority of the handheld market doesn't think like you at all. They just want fun pick up and play experiences that aren't too heavy or involving. You are a tiny minority. Trapped here on this little board together thinking that there's a lot more of you than there actually is because of it. The truth is that Nintendo's handheld marketshare may shrink, and that will be due to the cheap Iphone games costing pennies. That's the big threat. Vita's is not even on the map. Not even a player. A distant third to the big boys.
LovePotionNo9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 LovePotionNo9
Member since 2010 • 4751 Posts

Portable console sounds fun to me. Looking forward to seeing it. PSP is already powerful enough. Vita will be a real killer.

ramonnl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 ramonnl
Member since 2010 • 769 Posts
Vita will destroy the 3ds! Huge number of people will buy the vita for 1 game alone! UNCHARTED!!!!
tormentos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 tormentos
Member since 2003 • 33784 Posts
[QUOTE="biggotorium"]Already we are seeing a big rise in the 3DS's japanese sales after getting a just a remake (OOT)... even depite its price point, and as the DS is phased out adopters will move to the 3DS. The reason? Is because of the games. Mario, Mario Kart, SSB, Pokemon each game a megaton in the handheld rhealm. Why are people giving the Vita a chance? It's graphics? What did they do for the PSP against the DS? Do people really believe that most handheld consumers are looking for a portable console experience? So they can play Uncharted on the bus? They never have and they never will. The truth is that Nintendo's handheld marketshare will shrink, and that will be due to the cheap Iphone games costing pennies. That's the big threat. Vita is not even on the map.

I give it a chance because nothing is certain in the gaming industry,people had been loving mario since ever,that did not stop the GC and N64 from failing hard.
biggotorium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 biggotorium

Portable console sounds fun to me. Looking forward to seeing it. PSP is already powerful enough. Vita will be a real killer.

LovePotionNo9
It sounds cool to me too... but the reality is, we only make a tiny demographic of the handheld crowd while everyone else wants quick, fun pick up and play games that they don't have to get too serious into. This is the handheld market. This is why the DS obliterated the PSP and this is why even cheap Iphone games are a threat to everything.
MFDOOM1983

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 MFDOOM1983
Member since 2010 • 8465 Posts
"Do people really believe that most handheld consumers are looking for a portable console experience? So they can play Uncharted on the bus? They never have and they never will." I never got this notion when all you're doing is dangling console games in front of us. ssb, mario kart and mario
biggotorium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 biggotorium
[QUOTE="ramonnl"]Vita will destroy the 3ds! Huge number of people will buy the vita for 1 game alone! UNCHARTED!!!!

lol what? Yeah because Uncharted is such an amazing selling franchise and all. All the PS3 players will rebuy it again on a portable. :rollseyes:
Sgt_Crow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#8 Sgt_Crow
Member since 2004 • 6099 Posts

Vita will destroy the 3ds! Huge number of people will buy the vita for 1 game alone! UNCHARTED!!!!ramonnl

You honestly think the fanbase for Uncharted is bigger than Zelda, Mario, Pokémon etc...?
Not even a chance.

SakusEnvoy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 SakusEnvoy
Member since 2009 • 4764 Posts

Yeah, I don't think there's any demand for the portable console experience at all. Games like OOT, Mario, Mario Kart and SSB are in absolutely no way portable versions of their console counterparts.

The 3DS and Vita are going to sell for the same price (not like PSP vs. DS). It's going to be a battle.

By the way, what was the most popular handheld in Japan for most of this year up until OOT was released? The PSP... so don't think the brand isn't growing in prestige and reputation over there.

It's going to be a battle. There's no guarantee the 3DS will keep high sales. I wouldn't be surprised at all to see it recede back into the 20ks after a few weeks... I wouldn't be surprised if the PSP regains the #1 weekly hardware position.

We can't predict the future of a system based off of one week in which a megaton system-seller was released. Let's see where it is next week and the week after that.

biggotorium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 biggotorium
[QUOTE="MFDOOM1983"]"Do people really believe that most handheld consumers are looking for a portable console experience? So they can play Uncharted on the bus? They never have and they never will." I never got this notion when all you're doing is dangling console games in front of us. ssb, mario kart and mario

Console games which have translated themselves well to handhelds and proven themselves because they're pick up and play, not too serious, and appeal to all demographics not just 13-35 year old men.
Nayef_shroof

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Nayef_shroof
Member since 2011 • 709 Posts

Well, the PSVita has tons of high quality games coming out, surpassing 3Ds's by a substantial margin, and the PSVita has more pre-orders for the system than there are 3Dss sold

biggotorium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 biggotorium

Well, the PSVita has tons of high quality games coming out, surpassing 3Ds's by a substantial margin, and the PSVita has more pre-orders for the system than there are 3Dss sold

Nayef_shroof
lmao on both points.
Shirokishi_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Shirokishi_
Member since 2009 • 11206 Posts

Maybe in the sakes race but the software race could be neck and neck much like the DS vs PSP.

Nayef_shroof

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Nayef_shroof
Member since 2011 • 709 Posts

[QUOTE="Nayef_shroof"]

biggotorium

lmao on both points.

:roll: (BTW, this isnt the full list)

Click the link for the list

http://www.gamespot.com/forums/topic/28704737/list-of-all-the-confirmed-ps-vita-games-with-gameplay-videos

Sgt_Crow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Sgt_Crow
Member since 2004 • 6099 Posts

Maybe in the sakes race but the software race could be neck and neck much like the DS vs PSP.

Shirokishi_
How was it a neck to neck race? DS owned in both sales and software by a pretty large margin.
biggotorium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 biggotorium

[QUOTE="biggotorium"][QUOTE="Nayef_shroof"]

Nayef_shroof

lmao on both points.

http://www.gamespot.com/forums/topic/28704737/list-of-all-the-confirmed-ps-vita-games-with-gameplay-videos

I think the 3DS lineup blows it away
biggotorium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 biggotorium
[QUOTE="Shirokishi_"]

Sgt_Crow
How was it a neck to neck race? DS owned in both sales and software by a pretty large margin.

This. History revisionists coming in.
razgriz_101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#18 razgriz_101
Member since 2007 • 16875 Posts

Sony holds down MH as an exclusive...that could help them in Japan a fair bit.Wish MH would take off over here tbh i feel like im on my lonesome as a MH fan :(

110million

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 110million
Member since 2008 • 14910 Posts
Why are there so many of these topics? Is it because 3DS owners are mad, months after launch, a 12 year old N64 game is the only game worth playing on it? Because I am one of those, and I am not mad. I am waiting for the VITA. Missing out on platforms means missing out on games. :wink:
Avatar image for samanthademeste
samanthademeste

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 samanthademeste
Member since 2010 • 1553 Posts

Why are there so many of these topics? Is it because 3DS owners are mad, months after launch, a 12 year old N64 game is the only game worth playing on it? Because I am one of those, and I am not mad. I am waiting for the VITA. Missing out on platforms means missing out on games. :wink: 110million

Real Gamers: 1

Sheep: 0

razgriz_101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 razgriz_101
Member since 2007 • 16875 Posts

Why are there so many of these topics? Is it because 3DS owners are mad, months after launch, a 12 year old N64 game is the only game worth playing on it? Because I am one of those, and I am not mad. I am waiting for the VITA. Missing out on platforms means missing out on games. :wink: 110million

all im saying is OHHHHH SNAP :P

AmazonTreeBoa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 AmazonTreeBoa
Member since 2011 • 16745 Posts

[QUOTE="ramonnl"]Vita will destroy the 3ds! Huge number of people will buy the vita for 1 game alone! UNCHARTED!!!!biggotorium
lol what? Yeah because Uncharted is such an amazing selling franchise and all. All the PS3 players will rebuy it again on a portable. :rollseyes:

You do realize the Incharted game coming to the Vita is not a port right? Oh no of course you don't because you just made it clear with what you said that you didn't do your research before responding. ;)

Kenny789

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 29

#23 Kenny789
Member since 2006 • 10434 Posts
I'm interested in the Vita but the 3DS has already won me with its upcoming games. PSP is great compared to the DS in terms of graphics but most of the PSP games I actually care about aren't graphic powerhouses (Riviera, Tactics Ogre). Basically, I like how Vita is being powerful and all but it has to have the games to make me buy one.
biggotorium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 biggotorium

[QUOTE="biggotorium"][QUOTE="ramonnl"]Vita will destroy the 3ds! Huge number of people will buy the vita for 1 game alone! UNCHARTED!!!!AmazonTreeBoa

You do realize the Incharted game coming to the Vita is not a port right? Oh no of course you don't because you just made it clear with what you said that you didn't do your research before responding. ;)

I never said anywhere that it was a port. It's not exactly a huge selling franchise even on consoles where it's better suited, yet on a portable it's going to sell gangbusters? Wake me up when that happens.
Shirokishi_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Shirokishi_

[QUOTE="Shirokishi_"]

Sgt_Crow

I dont agree. When it comes to quality titles I believe 1 didnt have that much more than the other.

trugs26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 trugs26
Member since 2004 • 7539 Posts

I know people are hyping up the Vita and everything, but I think the biggest threat is that this holiday is when Vita launches, and it will be up against an established handheld system with a decent library, and then backed up by games like Mario Kart. So I think the 3DS may steal the show this holiday.

AmazonTreeBoa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 AmazonTreeBoa
Member since 2011 • 16745 Posts

really I don't see what all the hype for the 3DS is all over. All their top games coming out are just the next game is over used old IPs from Nintendo. Give us new IPs. I can at least say I see a lot of new IPs coming for the Vita like Little Deviants for example. I couldn't care less for another Zelda, Mario, Pokemon, or Mario Kart game. I want new IPs. When Nintedno starts doing that instead of "Oh let's make another Mario game", then I will take more interest in the 3DS. Well that and it getting a price drop because at $250, the 3DS just isn't worth it.

Shirokishi_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Shirokishi_

really I don't see what all the hype for the 3DS is all over. All their top games coming out are just the next game is over used old IPs from Nintendo.

AmazonTreeBoa

That is not at all a bad thing. Quality games are quality games.

I mean really....

LastRambo341

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 LastRambo341
Member since 2010 • 8767 Posts
Ghost Recon SSF4 DoA: Dimensions OoT And soon, RE Mercenaries
crippled_ram

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 crippled_ram
Member since 2010 • 1583 Posts

Nayef_shroof
Is this a joke post? Wrong on both counts, btw
crippled_ram

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 crippled_ram
[QUOTE="Nayef_shroof"]

[QUOTE="biggotorium"][QUOTE="Nayef_shroof"]

lmao on both points.

Here's here's the 3DS list: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XJ53VeEJikE&feature=player_embedded
LastRambo341

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 LastRambo341

really I don't see what all the hype for the 3DS is all over. All their top games coming out are just the next game is over used old IPs from Nintendo. Give us new IPs. I can at least say I see a lot of new IPs coming for the Vita like Little Deviants for example. I couldn't care less for another Zelda, Mario, Pokemon, or Mario Kart game. I want new IPs. When Nintedno starts doing that instead of "Oh let's make another Mario game", then I will take more interest in the 3DS. Well that and it getting a price drop because at $250, the 3DS just isn't worth it.

AmazonTreeBoa
Nintendo has so many franchises that it doesn't need new IPs. MMZ is the MAGIC of Nintendo, why do they think people like em so much?
Avatar image for Bread_or_Decide
Bread_or_Decide

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Bread_or_Decide
Member since 2007 • 29761 Posts
[QUOTE="tormentos"][QUOTE="biggotorium"]Already we are seeing a big rise in the 3DS's japanese sales after getting a just a remake (OOT)... even depite its price point, and as the DS is phased out adopters will move to the 3DS. The reason? Is because of the games. Mario, Mario Kart, SSB, Pokemon each game a megaton in the handheld rhealm. Why are people giving the Vita a chance? It's graphics? What did they do for the PSP against the DS? Do people really believe that most handheld consumers are looking for a portable console experience? So they can play Uncharted on the bus? They never have and they never will. The truth is that Nintendo's handheld marketshare will shrink, and that will be due to the cheap Iphone games costing pennies. That's the big threat. Vita is not even on the map.

I give it a chance because nothing is certain in the gaming industry,people had been loving mario since ever,that did not stop the GC and N64 from failing hard.

Nintendo fans need some humility...they forget when these franchises COULDN'T stop the Playstation machine from stealing Nintendo's devs and huge market.
Bread_or_Decide

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 Bread_or_Decide
[QUOTE="AmazonTreeBoa"]

LastRambo341
Nintendo has so many franchises that it doesn't need new IPs. MMZ is the MAGIC of Nintendo, why do they think people like em so much?

Sigh. This kind of thinking is what's wrong with Nintendo and their fanbase. SMH
crippled_ram

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 crippled_ram

AmazonTreeBoa
There are a lot of new IPs on the 3DS too, though. Like Kid Icarus. Like Beyond the Labyrinth. Like Heroes of Ruin. You know, they're there, you just have to actually look past your preconception.
LastRambo341

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 LastRambo341
[QUOTE="MFDOOM1983"]"Do people really believe that most handheld consumers are looking for a portable console experience? So they can play Uncharted on the bus? They never have and they never will." I never got this notion when all you're doing is dangling console games in front of us. ssb, mario kart and mario

If those games are made to utilize the 3DS' uniqueness and features, then they're not "console games". Look at SSF4 for 3DS. The Streetpass and all that makes it an actual handheld game.
Bread_or_Decide

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 Bread_or_Decide
[QUOTE="110million"]Why are there so many of these topics? Is it because 3DS owners are mad, months after launch, a 12 year old N64 game is the only game worth playing on it? Because I am one of those, and I am not mad. I am waiting for the VITA. Missing out on platforms means missing out on games. :wink: LastRambo341

You're only proving him right by listing those games nobody cares about....
LastRambo341

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 LastRambo341
[QUOTE="LastRambo341"][QUOTE="AmazonTreeBoa"]

Bread_or_Decide

Sigh. This kind of thinking is what's wrong with Nintendo and their fanbase. SMH

There is nothing wrong with providing games. As long as they're GOOD, repeated franchises or not, I'm all for it.
LastRambo341

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 LastRambo341
[QUOTE="LastRambo341"][QUOTE="110million"]Why are there so many of these topics? Is it because 3DS owners are mad, months after launch, a 12 year old N64 game is the only game worth playing on it? Because I am one of those, and I am not mad. I am waiting for the VITA. Missing out on platforms means missing out on games. :wink: Bread_or_Decide

Oh ya, YOU don't care about em. Doesn't deny that they're quality games.
crippled_ram

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 crippled_ram
[QUOTE="LastRambo341"][QUOTE="110million"]Why are there so many of these topics? Is it because 3DS owners are mad, months after launch, a 12 year old N64 game is the only game worth playing on it? Because I am one of those, and I am not mad. I am waiting for the VITA. Missing out on platforms means missing out on games. :wink: Bread_or_Decide

If no one cared about Ocarina, it would not have sold out, and it would not have caused the 3DS sales bump that it did.
Heil68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 Heil68
Member since 2004 • 60721 Posts
[QUOTE="LastRambo341"][QUOTE="AmazonTreeBoa"]

Bread_or_Decide

Yup, more ports incoming.
Bread_or_Decide

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 Bread_or_Decide
[QUOTE="LastRambo341"][QUOTE="Bread_or_Decide"][QUOTE="LastRambo341"] Nintendo has so many franchises that it doesn't need new IPs. MMZ is the MAGIC of Nintendo, why do they think people like em so much?

There is nothing wrong with providing games. As long as they're GOOD, repeated franchises or not, I'm all for it.

I love how every Sony second party took a chance on a new IP this gen. That's the kind of risk taking I like. Nintendo just doesn't do this anymore. Kid Icarus is a new IP...but technically it's not brand new he's just been MIA for eons.
crippled_ram

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 crippled_ram
[QUOTE="LastRambo341"][QUOTE="Bread_or_Decide"] Sigh. This kind of thinking is what's wrong with Nintendo and their fanbase. SMHBread_or_Decide

I love how every Sony second party took a chance on a new IP this gen. That's the kind of risk taking I like. Nintendo just doesn't do this anymore. Kid Icarus is a new IP...but technically it's not brand new he's just been MIA for eons.

The last Kid Icarus game was twenty five years ago, and it had nothing to do with this new game... I'd say Kid Icarus is a new IP by any account.
Filthybastrd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 Filthybastrd
Member since 2009 • 7124 Posts

The notion that 3DS automatically destroys it's competetion by way of being 3DS does'nt bode well for humanity.

I like to think we choose products because they deliver intrinsic value and appeal, sadly that makes me dellusional.

Bread_or_Decide

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 Bread_or_Decide
[QUOTE="crippled_ram"][QUOTE="Bread_or_Decide"][QUOTE="LastRambo341"] If no one cared about Ocarina, it would not have sold out, and it would not have caused the 3DS sales bump that it did.

[QUOTE="LastRambo341"][QUOTE="MFDOOM1983"]"Do people really believe that most handheld consumers are looking for a portable console experience? So they can play Uncharted on the bus? They never have and they never will." I never got this notion when all you're doing is dangling console games in front of us. ssb, mario kart and mario

If those games are made to utilize the 3DS' uniqueness and features, then they're not "console games". Look at SSF4 for 3DS. The Streetpass and all that makes it an actual handheld game.

I continue to argue that the phrase "3DS Uniqueness" is the worst phrase in the English language. Say it out loud for a second. It just sounds horrendous. Please stop using it. I beg you.
MFDOOM1983

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 MFDOOM1983
Member since 2010 • 8465 Posts
[QUOTE="LastRambo341"][QUOTE="MFDOOM1983"]"Do people really believe that most handheld consumers are looking for a portable console experience? So they can play Uncharted on the bus? They never have and they never will." I never got this notion when all you're doing is dangling console games in front of us. ssb, mario kart and mario

Lol sometimes i'm not sure if you're being serious or just pulling everyones leg. Vita games that use its "unique" features = consoles but with 3ds they're handheld games.
crippled_ram

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 crippled_ram
[QUOTE="Bread_or_Decide"][QUOTE="LastRambo341"] Nintendo has so many franchises that it doesn't need new IPs. MMZ is the MAGIC of Nintendo, why do they think people like em so much?Heil68

Yup, more ports incoming.

Out of the 165 games on the 3DS (announced+released) SIX, I repeat, SIX are ports. So, er, what was that about ports again?
Avatar image for GunSmith1_basic
GunSmith1_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 21

#48 GunSmith1_basic
Member since 2002 • 10548 Posts

Vita might be the system that defeats nintendo in handhelds because it is superior hardware at equal cost. Plus, the psp was stunted by a bad design. It had just the one thumbstick, one that wasn't very good really, and the screen was really bad in the first systems. Also that UMD format is not great and it gave them the stank of failure with that UMD movie format attempt. The vita is loaded with features: two higher quality thumbsticks, a beautiful big touch screen, and of course they are switched to cartridges and downloadables.

Avatar image for samanthademeste
samanthademeste

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 samanthademeste
Member since 2010 • 1553 Posts

[QUOTE="Bread_or_Decide"][QUOTE="LastRambo341"] There is nothing wrong with providing games. As long as they're GOOD, repeated franchises or not, I'm all for it.crippled_ram

The last Kid Icarus game was twenty five years ago, and it had nothing to do with this new game... I'd say Kid Icarus is a new IP by any account.

Lol, wut?

tormentos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 tormentos
Member since 2003 • 33784 Posts

I know people are hyping up the Vita and everything, but I think the biggest threat is that this holiday is when Vita launches, and it will be up against an established handheld system with a decent library, and then backed up by games like Mario Kart. So I think the 3DS may steal the show this holiday.

trugs26
Xbox 360 vs Wii....One had 8 million units sold,tons of games including Gears which debut on 2006 the year the Wii was launch,and the rest is basically history,and who in his right mind would give Nintendo a winning chance when even the xbox sold more units last gen,and was more expensive from go than the GC.