Virtua Fighter 5 Final Showdown Hype Thread! (56k) 8.5 on Gamespot!

• 97 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

WarTornRuston

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#51 WarTornRuston
Member since 2011 • 2712 Posts

Man I am glad I have PS Plus.

It hold up much better than I remember it did back when I had the original VF5 on PS3. I still stand by my previous post about the series surviving by a string right now (Which is one reason why being A download only title (And free for + members) was a good idea.

shadowfox55

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#52 shadowfox55
Member since 2007 • 1609 Posts

This game is very solid noobs will get their butts handed to them because they don't know what they're doing and there's no place for button mashers against an experience player. No hyper combos insane long juggles or spamming moves. There is the occassionaly person crouches and hits at your legs all day long but if you play enough you'll know how to deal with those particular players.

I have a question for those that play the game which character do you hate to see go on the offensive? Mine are akira (of course guys a tank) shun di(with 8 or more drinks), and Lion (ankle hitting bastard)
Virtua_Souls

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#53 Virtua_Souls
Member since 2012 • 267 Posts

Just want to ask: What does everyone think of the way Sega handled the items this time? Even though the game is only $15, does the DLC still annoy you?

Personally, I'm fine with it (mostly. Aside from the Special Sparring mode requiring all the DLC. Which was just a lame decision). I think that what you get for the price is pretty awesome. I spend way too much time customizing my characters. Although, I do hope that with VF6, Sega returns to the non-DLC method.

since when did people start thinking AA scores are worthy of hype? i remembered the good ol days of sw when it was AAA or flop...

jsmoke03

Hey man, a AA score is pretty dang good. How's that not worthy of any hype? (Especially when it MET that hype). Also, how is it "the good ol days of sw" when the whole "AAA or flop" thing still happens here all the time?

I have a question for those that play the game which character do you hate to see go on the offensive? Mine are akira (of course guys a tank) shun di(with 8 or more drinks), and Lion (ankle hitting bastard)shadowfox55
Gotta agree with you on Shun and Lion, they're impossible to predict (gets on my nerves). For me, I'd also add Brad (him and his constant advantage with those million punches) and Lau (same thing, never loses the advantage, and he just has incredibly fast moves).

I gotta hit the dojo mode against those chars, and try using the record mode. See if I can learn to block them better.

Tikeio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#54 Tikeio
Member since 2011 • 5332 Posts

there's no place for button mashers against an experience playershadowfox55

That applies to every fighting game. Even FG's that have a practically nonexistent execution barrier, like SSB.

Gue1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#55 Gue1
Member since 2004 • 12171 Posts

FRAY!

Gue1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#56 Gue1
Member since 2004 • 12171 Posts

[QUOTE="shadowfox55"]

there's no place for button mashers against an experience playerTikeio

That applies to every fighting game. Even FG's that have a practically nonexistent execution barrier, like SSB.

that is a fact. That's why I have never understood those comments about "button mashing games" because button mashing or not if you're good the chances of you losing against a button masher are next to zero. If you button mash mean that you have no defense so you'll get caught in a set up very easily and not to mention that the strategy and combos will be very inconsistent too.

But spamming, now that's a completely different story and the main problem of Marvel. When you have a team with the hidden missiles of Doom as an assist and Morrigan's soul-fist you can suck real bad at the game and still win against a good player by simply running away and spamming projectiles.

Seabas989

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#57 Seabas989
Member since 2009 • 13565 Posts

If I ever get either HD console, I'll be sure to download this.

Avatar image for deactivated-61cc564148ef4
deactivated-61cc564148ef4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#58 deactivated-61cc564148ef4
Member since 2007 • 10909 Posts

Guess what Virtua fans? Virtua Fighter 5 got a glamorous review from the most reputable gaming publication out

Here it is

themajormayor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#59 themajormayor
Member since 2011 • 25729 Posts
Fighting game=lol

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#60 deactivated-61cc564148ef4

Fighting game=lolthemajormayor

It's a very big deal for some, and they are some of the best games for competitive play. So what are you laughing about?

themajormayor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#61 themajormayor

[QUOTE="themajormayor"]Fighting game=lolOB-47

It's a very big deal for some, and they are some of the best games for competitive play. So what are you laughing about?

They're boring as hell
vincent380

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#62 vincent380
Member since 2003 • 2244 Posts
Theres something about VF5 that i can never fully get into I enjoy it for a few minutes but i can't keep playing it for a hour or so to like Tekken or Dead Or Alive. I'm not sure what it is. Maybe because the gameplay is slower *shrugs* Im glad its free i purchased the original.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#63 deactivated-61cc564148ef4

[QUOTE="OB-47"]

[QUOTE="themajormayor"]Fighting game=lolthemajormayor

They're boring as hell

That's your own irrelevant opinion.

themajormayor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#64 themajormayor

[QUOTE="themajormayor"][QUOTE="OB-47"]

OB-47

They're boring as hell

That's just your opinion
mitu123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

#65 mitu123
Member since 2006 • 155290 Posts
Fighting game=lolthemajormayor
What genres do you like?O_o
Jshoelace

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#66 Jshoelace
Member since 2008 • 846 Posts

[QUOTE="OB-47"]

[QUOTE="themajormayor"] They're boring as hellthemajormayor

That's just your opinion

Not just his opinion but the opinion of many others... Fighting games offer a lot of competative value, more so then any other type of game even first person shooters.

themajormayor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#67 themajormayor
[QUOTE="themajormayor"]Fighting game=lolmitu123
What genres do you like?O_o

There are good games within genres like RPG, Shooters, strategy. I just don't like hillbilly genres, like racing games and fighting games. Or kid genres like platformers.
themajormayor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#68 themajormayor

[QUOTE="themajormayor"][QUOTE="OB-47"]

Jshoelace

That's just your opinion

Not just his opinion but the opinion of many others... Fighting games offer a lot of competative value, more so then any other type of game even first person shooters.

Sure maybe it's fun to play with some friends a couple of minutes. But it's not an immersive experience you can enjoy for many hours.
Jshoelace

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#69 Jshoelace

[QUOTE="Jshoelace"]

[QUOTE="themajormayor"] That's just your opinionthemajormayor

Sure maybe it's fun to play with some friends a couple of minutes. But it's not an immersive experience you can enjoy for many hours.

That depends on how much you get into it. I have been playing street fighter since street fighter 2 and do not want to know how many hours I have racked up playing these games, but I get more out of them then any other game. Why? Because of never ending replay value and competativeness,

this is not a good thing either as I became addicted to street fighter.

Jshoelace

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#71 Jshoelace

p.s I know this is about Virua Fighter, I like that game too. Its the only 3D fighter I like.

Avatar image for LostProphetFLCL
LostProphetFLCL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#72 LostProphetFLCL
Member since 2006 • 18526 Posts

[QUOTE="Jshoelace"]

I have played MvC3 and UMvC3 WAY more than most games. In fact I spent probably like 3 hours earlier playing it, a good chunk of that was just facing my friend online over and over....

xOMGITSJASONx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#73 xOMGITSJASONx
Member since 2009 • 2634 Posts

I got this game for free via PSN+. I need to actually play it.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#74 deactivated-61cc564148ef4

[QUOTE="Jshoelace"]

Pffft. The word immersion is so overused.

I think more gamers are emotionally invested with their favourite fighter from a game than say, Jason from Heavy Rain.

Not all games need to be movie experiences with narrative. People spend years of their lives learning the intricacies of each fighter, the strengths, the weaknesses etc. Fighting games are a big deal, and one of the most timeless genres in video games.

Me? I don't own any fighter games. But I see the appeal

Jshoelace

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#75 Jshoelace

OB-47

I really wanted to challenge you too!:P

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#76 deactivated-61cc564148ef4

[QUOTE="OB-47"]

Jshoelace

Ahh you'll have to wait some time! I'm interested into getting into some once I buy all my hyped games this year

OneSanitarium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#77 OneSanitarium
Member since 2009 • 6959 Posts

[QUOTE="Jshoelace"]

[QUOTE="OB-47"]

OB-47

Ahh you'll have to wait some time! I'm interested into getting into some once I buy all my hyped games this year

You should totally buy the next Guilty Gear when it finally comes out. The finest of 2D fighting.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#78 deactivated-61cc564148ef4

[QUOTE="OB-47"]

[QUOTE="Jshoelace"]

OneSanitarium

You should totally buy the next Guilty Gear when it finally comes out. The finest of 2D fighting.

Yeah, I've heard GG is the finest of 2D, but I don't like the aesthetic too much, which is something I kinda need.

OneSanitarium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#79 OneSanitarium
Member since 2009 • 6959 Posts

[QUOTE="OneSanitarium"]

[QUOTE="OB-47"]

OB-47

Yeah, I've heard GG is the finest of 2D, but I don't like the aesthetic too much, which is something I kinda need.

:|

Welp, looks like I'm done here.

madsnakehhh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#80 madsnakehhh
Member since 2007 • 18257 Posts

[QUOTE="Jshoelace"]

Lol, i love when people don't have a clue of what they are saying :lol:

LostProphetFLCL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#81 LostProphetFLCL

[QUOTE="OneSanitarium"]

[QUOTE="OB-47"]

OB-47

There's always VF5: FS and UMvC3!

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#82 deactivated-61cc564148ef4

[QUOTE="OB-47"]

[QUOTE="OneSanitarium"]

LostProphetFLCL

Yeah I'm really looking into those. I think you've talked to me before about the UMvC3, but hows the VF franchise in terms of accessibility?

Swift_Boss_A

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#83 Swift_Boss_A
Member since 2007 • 14579 Posts
Amazing game slightly disappointed with no unlockables and no career/quest mode but for the price you definitely can't go wrong. Online mode is the best Ive played in a fighting game.
jsmoke03

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#84 jsmoke03
Member since 2004 • 13717 Posts

Just want to ask: What does everyone think of the way Sega handled the items this time? Even though the game is only $15, does the DLC still annoy you?

Personally, I'm fine with it (mostly. Aside from the Special Sparring mode requiring all the DLC. Which was just a lame decision). I think that what you get for the price is pretty awesome. I spend way too much time customizing my characters. Although, I do hope that with VF6, Sega returns to the non-DLC method.

[QUOTE="jsmoke03"]

since when did people start thinking AA scores are worthy of hype? i remembered the good ol days of sw when it was AAA or flop...

Virtua_Souls

Hey man, a AA score is pretty dang good. How's that not worthy of any hype? (Especially when it MET that hype). Also, how is it "the good ol days of sw" when the whole "AAA or flop" thing still happens here all the time?

I have a question for those that play the game which character do you hate to see go on the offensive? Mine are akira (of course guys a tank) shun di(with 8 or more drinks), and Lion (ankle hitting bastard)shadowfox55
Gotta agree with you on Shun and Lion, they're impossible to predict (gets on my nerves). For me, I'd also add Brad (him and his constant advantage with those million punches) and Lau (same thing, never loses the advantage, and he just has incredibly fast moves).

I gotta hit the dojo mode against those chars, and try using the record mode. See if I can learn to block them better.

its not AAA or flop cuz i see lists about consoles where they start from A to AAA scores when bragging about having the best gaming library. As far as 8.5 being a good game, sure that was a good score...but i think when you talk about console supremacy...you only talk and hype elite gaming...no one brags about being a straight B student...but im just putting in my 2 cents....sw isn't how it used to be....im just stating the obvious
LostProphetFLCL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#85 LostProphetFLCL

[QUOTE="LostProphetFLCL"]

[QUOTE="OB-47"]

OB-47

Yeah I'm really looking into those. I think you've talked to me before about the UMvC3, but hows the VF franchise in terms of accessibility?

Well I am not serious into Virtua Fighter but I have enjoyed FS. Game has lots of tutorials to help you out. Only thing is the single player is pretty barebones, but it is worth it for such good fighting.

Considering VF doesn't involve memorizing crazy combo's or dealing with spacing games I feel it is pretty noob friendly as long as you don't get paired up against people who are really good at the game....

With that though I feel the need to add that I just find myself constantly going back to UMvC3. I love how FS plays but I am finding it hard to keep up with in my limited time.

If I had to choose one of the games it would end up being UMvC3. It is both the funnest and yet most frustrating fighting game I have ever played. There are broken things in the game that can drive you crazy and lots of idiots online, but at the same time I find the fighting in that game soooo satisfying and with the huge roster of characters and ridiculous amounts of depth to the fighting I just keep going back to UMvC3.

Tikeio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#86 Tikeio
Member since 2011 • 5332 Posts

Theres something about VF5 that i can never fully get into I enjoy it for a few minutes but i can't keep playing it for a hour or so to like Tekken or Dead Or Alive. I'm not sure what it is. Maybe because the gameplay is slower *shrugs* Im glad its free i purchased the original.vincent380

Yeah, VF is rather boring. I'm not sure what it is either.

Online mode is the best Ive played in a fighting game.Swift_Boss_A

That's because you've never played SoulCalibur V, buddy. :3

King9999

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 44

#88 King9999
Member since 2002 • 11837 Posts

Here are my online matches:http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL794C6A14136FD993

I use Brad, so Brad players should check this out for either tips, or to help me out.

Virtua_Souls

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#89 Virtua_Souls

Here are my online matches:http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL794C6A14136FD993

I use Brad, so Brad players should check this out for either tips, or to help me out.

King9999

Cool matches, man! I've watched a few so far. I'm not much of a Brad player (yet. Trying to learn him), but check out this link in you have the time:

bokkiakia's youtube channel

Some good high-level Brad play there. Maybe those videos could help out with moves or combos. Also, check out the Brad section on Virtuafighter.com if you haven't already done so.

King9999

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#90 King9999

[QUOTE="King9999"]

Virtua_Souls

Cool matches, man! I've watched a few so far. I'm not much of a Brad player (yet. Trying to learn him), but check out this link in you have the time:

bokkiakia's youtube channel

Some good high-level Brad play there. Maybe those videos could help out with moves or combos. Also, check out the Brad section on Virtuafighter.com if you haven't already done so.

Thanks, that YT link is useful. :)

I have a Fashion Show thread over at Shoryuken.com if anyone needs ideas for costumes, or if you want to contribute.

finalfantasy94

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#91 finalfantasy94
Member since 2004 • 27442 Posts

Amazing game slightly disappointed with no unlockables and no career/quest mode but for the price you definitely can't go wrong. Online mode is the best Ive played in a fighting game.Swift_Boss_A

Yea was kinda disappointed in order to dress up the character you will have to shell out some cash insted of ya know just playing and unlocking them.

fabz_95

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 41

#92 fabz_95
Member since 2006 • 15425 Posts
Great thread, wouldn't buy it myself but it would be a very nice game to get on PS+.
vincent380

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#93 vincent380
Member since 2003 • 2244 Posts

[QUOTE="Swift_Boss_A"]Amazing game slightly disappointed with no unlockables and no career/quest mode but for the price you definitely can't go wrong. Online mode is the best Ive played in a fighting game.finalfantasy94

Yea was kinda disappointed in order to dress up the character you will have to shell out some cash insted of ya know just playing and unlocking them.

Which is sad because in the original disc base game they had all those unlockables for free. DLC is the worse sometimes.
Virtua_Souls

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#94 Virtua_Souls

[QUOTE="finalfantasy94"]

[QUOTE="Swift_Boss_A"]Amazing game slightly disappointed with no unlockables and no career/quest mode but for the price you definitely can't go wrong. Online mode is the best Ive played in a fighting game.vincent380

Which is sad because in the original disc base game they had all those unlockables for free. DLC is the worse sometimes.

:lol: (sorry, made me laugh) Um, no, the original disc based VF5 doesn't have anywhere CLOSE to the amount of items/unlockables that VF5FS does. I'm a huge fan of the original VF5, but the items in that game are SO boring compared to VF5FS's items.

You can just do sooooo much more in VF5FS and make your characters look so damn cool (or weird, if that's your thing). The DLC for FS is well worth the cost. I've played every fighter out there, and only Soul Calibur 5 beats VF5FS in customization options (and then VF5FS beats SC5 in gameplay, so take yer' pick!)

Also, yeah, DLC can be a pain, but just so everyone knows: Sega had a download size limit with VF5FS that they had to work within. Games on XBLA can only be a max of 2GB in size, so Sega had to cut things out to make it work (Quest, items, compressed sound, etc).

I'm not saying VF5FS is perfect, it has a number of things that I think could have been done better, but just remember that Sega did the best they could with the time/space that they had to work with.

Swift_Boss_A

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#95 Swift_Boss_A
Member since 2007 • 14579 Posts

I have zero issue with how VF5 handles DLC, in fact if a game has to have DLC I prefer they do it this way. Selling the game for less and buying DLC individually or in packs, or buying the full game for more. BTW I completely forgot how to play the game, haven't played VF proper for 8 years. If anyone wants to spar let me know, Im trying to learn Lion to muscle memory like ol times.

King9999

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#96 King9999

This is the best tutorial I've seen for this game.

Virtua_Souls

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#97 Virtua_Souls

:lol: Just noticed that the votes for VF5FS's hype keep goin' up. You're a little late people!

Anyway - Check this out from GamesRadar: Virtua Fighter 5 Final Showdown is the best fighting game of this generation - here's why

Take THAT other fighters! :D

This is the best tutorial I've seen for this game.

King9999

Thanks for the link! That's awesome. Gonna have to set aside some time and watch all that.