Video of Crackdown developer's Streets of Rage re-imagining leaks online

This topic is locked from further discussion.

SecretPolice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 SecretPolice
Member since 2007 • 44066 Posts

Practically coughing up blood from this blow to the gut. :cry:

Thoughts?

Anyway, the Story & Vid.

---

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2012-12-05-video-of-crackdown-developers-streets-of-rage-re-imagining-leaks-online

Video of Crackdown developer's Streets of Rage re-imagining leaks online

Cancelled Ruffian Games project was to be a download console title.

A video showing a cancelled 3D Streets of Rage game, made by Crackdown developer Ruffian Games, has emerged online.

The video, posted to Vimeo five days ago by "Huff Allium" and spotted by SegaDriven, shows a clip of a 3D Streets of Rage prototype. According to the video's description, it is Streets of Rage re-imagining for digital download console title.

Confirming the defunct project, former Ruffian Games designer Sean Noonan took to Twitter to link to the video, adding, So it seems like one of my previous projects has leaked, as pretty as I remember. Noonan is now a level designer at Ubisoft Montreal working on Watchdogs.

Noonan worked at Ruffian from May 2009 to July 2012, so the game was being worked on at some point during that period. Obviously Sega, publisher and creator of Streets of Rage, didn't end up greenlighting the game. Ruffian released Crackdown 2 in 2010 and helped with Kinect Star Wars. It's currently hard at work on an unannounced project

g0ddyX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 g0ddyX
Member since 2005 • 3914 Posts

Oh My God...

My childhood is getting ripped apart! lol
We all wanted a Streets of Rage remake but it doesn't play too good from that video.

balfe1990

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 balfe1990
Member since 2009 • 6747 Posts

That actually looks alright.

funsohng

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 funsohng
Member since 2005 • 29976 Posts
Ah yes, Crackdown. Some lem recommended me that game, probably JohnnyCage, and I remember hating him for making me buy such a lame game.
OhSnapitz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 OhSnapitz
Member since 2002 • 19282 Posts

That actually looks alright.

balfe1990
I was thinking the same thing.. :? especially if it was to be a DL title..
Heil68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#6 Heil68
Member since 2004 • 60714 Posts
"helped with Kinect Star Wars." That was his first mistake.
PAL360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

#7 PAL360
Member since 2007 • 30570 Posts

If it's anything like Streets of Rage 2, then they'll have my support.

Thefatness16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Thefatness16
Member since 2010 • 4673 Posts

Looks like dookie.

LP4EVA2005

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 LP4EVA2005
Member since 2004 • 8585 Posts
Eww
SecretPolice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 SecretPolice

Ah yes, Crackdown. Some lem recommended me that game, probably JohnnyCage, and I remember hating him for making me buy such a lame game.funsohng
:oops: Could have been me since I'm of the very minority opinion that CD, at least early on this gen, was one of the funnest 2 player co-op sandboxes around.

Could be because I, like most bought it for the Halo 3 beta and then ended up playing the hell out of it so ya might say for me, it was a real sleeper hit.

But really, I haven't brought up CD in quite a long time. :P

Malta_1980

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Malta_1980
Member since 2008 • 11890 Posts

If this game was released on XBL and the AI was better than that shown in the vid i would have probably got it... I remember the original game and it was one of my fav titles :)

Puckhog04

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Puckhog04
Member since 2003 • 22814 Posts

That's a shame. The video looks great. I loved the Crackdown games as well.

Puckhog04

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Puckhog04

[QUOTE="funsohng"]Ah yes, Crackdown. Some lem recommended me that game, probably JohnnyCage, and I remember hating him for making me buy such a lame game.SecretPolice

:oops: Could have been me since I'm of the very minority opinion that CD, at least early on this gen, was one of the funnest 2 player co-op sandboxes around.

Could be because I, like most bought it for the Halo 3 beta and then ended up playing the hell out of it so ya might say for me, it was a real sleeper hit.

Same here. Halo 3 beta was the primary reason. Little did I know the original Crackdown would become one of my favorite games of the generation.

SecretPolice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 SecretPolice

[QUOTE="SecretPolice"]

[QUOTE="funsohng"]Ah yes, Crackdown. Some lem recommended me that game, probably JohnnyCage, and I remember hating him for making me buy such a lame game.Puckhog04

Same here. Halo 3 beta was the primary reason. Little did I know the original Crackdown would become one of my favorite games of the generation.

Me thinks there's not many of us :? Getting just one more orb in the SP and how to get to it was like crack as well plus I thought the platforming aspects were superb - every surface, even wires could be landed and jumping, throwing or rocketing your buddy off the highest buildings was great stuff back then. :D

ultimate-k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 ultimate-k
Member since 2010 • 2348 Posts

That actually looks alright. Not bad

Lucianu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#16 Lucianu
Member since 2007 • 10347 Posts

There's already a Streets of Rage Remake that's ben built from the ground up by fans for 7 years. Right now, it's packed full with content, fluid, polished and briliantly addictive. That prototype looks like clunky sh*t in comparison.

Imagine if SEGA bought the project and upped the sprites in glorious HD (think Rayman Origins fluidity and visuals), it would have ben the best beat 'em up to have ever existed. But nah, they had to sue the team and delete the download links. They don't want a better imagine & money.

Avatar image for deactivated-59b71619573a1
deactivated-59b71619573a1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 deactivated-59b71619573a1
Member since 2007 • 38222 Posts

It's not THAT bad. Those types of games don't transition well into modern times and they shouldn't be forced to, I'm glad it's cancelled. They still kept some semblence of the games and there have been far worse attemtps at stuff like this. WOuld get very old very fast though

Puckhog04

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Puckhog04

[QUOTE="Puckhog04"]

[QUOTE="SecretPolice"]:oops: Could have been me since I'm of the very minority opinion that CD, at least early on this gen, was one of the funnest 2 player co-op sandboxes around.

SecretPolice

Me thinks there's not many of us :? Getting just one more orb in the SP and how to get to it was like crack as well plus I thought the platforming aspects were superb - every surface, even wires could be landed and jumping, throwing or rocketing your buddy off the highest buildings was great stuff back then. :D

One of my favorite parts of the game was trying to get all the orbs. Honestly, I just maxed out my jumping and all stats asap so that I could jump from building to building...it was that much fun to do IMO. LOVED that game. My brother actually has the game too so we literally would jump around the city in system link play. Just an amazing experieince.

SecretPolice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 SecretPolice

There's already a Streets of Rage Remake that's ben built from the ground up by fans for 7 years. Right now, it's packed full with content, fluid, polished and briliantly addictive. That prototype looks like clunky sh*t in comparison.

Imagine if SEGA bought the project and upped the sprites in glorious HD (think Rayman Origins fluidity and visuals), it would have ben the best beat 'em up to have ever existed. But nah, they had to sue the team and delete the download links. They don't want a better imagine & money.

Lucianu

On the last part; sounds awesome but I think a open world, 3D fighter/beat'em up SoR could be awesome if done right. Actually, I'm thinking the open world fighting in Shenmue was very good for it's time and could only imagine what could be done now. :D

clone01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 clone01
Member since 2003 • 29824 Posts

Eh. I remember playing Streets of Rage in the arcades when I was young. Never really got into it.

Lucianu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Lucianu

[QUOTE="Lucianu"]

SecretPolice

On the last part; sounds awesome but I think a open world, 3D fighter/beat'em up SoR could be awesome if done right. Actually, I'm thinking the open world fighting in Shenmue was very good for it's time and could only imagine what could be done now. :D

Yakuza = modern Shenmue, more or less. But i don't know, man, it's hard to make a good 3D beat 'em up (by old school definitions), i can't even think of more than two which are good. With quality HD 2D you've got a ageless recipe.

Led_poison

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Led_poison
Member since 2004 • 10146 Posts

I can see some Camera issues happening with that setup

pelvist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#23 pelvist
Member since 2010 • 9001 Posts

Being a fan of the original I was a quite disapointed to see that it wasnt a side on beat-em-up. I wasnt impressed by that video in the slightest.

gunswordfist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 gunswordfist
Member since 2006 • 20262 Posts

Lucianu
They sued them? Either way, Streets Of Rage Remake is even better than Streets Of Rage 2.
heretrix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 heretrix
Member since 2004 • 37881 Posts

a game from back when games were games and not marketing devices with half ass design choices.

sigh.

Lucianu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Lucianu

[QUOTE="Lucianu"]

gunswordfist

They sued them? Either way, Streets Of Rage Remake is even better than Streets Of Rage 2.

Nah, my mistake, they just shut down the project. I like owning and playing the originals, but yeah, SoR Remake is the better game no-brainer. Has everything from each game, hell it's better just because you can play with SoR 3's fluid combat and SoR 2's soundtrack, stages, etc. There's so much passion pumped into this project.

Epak_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Epak_
Member since 2004 • 11911 Posts

Meh, I'd rather play the original.

IAmNot_fun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 IAmNot_fun
Member since 2010 • 3336 Posts

[QUOTE="funsohng"]Ah yes, Crackdown. Some lem recommended me that game, probably JohnnyCage, and I remember hating him for making me buy such a lame game.SecretPolice

Nah, I remember him being a blatant lem.
Renegade_Fury

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#29 Renegade_Fury
Member since 2003 • 21701 Posts

WTF is this **** ? :|

Even though SoR2 is my favorite game of all time, and SoR3 sits firmly in my top 5, I'd much prefer having the franchise never see the light of day if the alternative was SEGA greenligting something like this. Instead of going in an endless cycle of cancelling Streets of Rage projects like they've been doing for the past 15 years, they'd be better off just taking Bombergames' Streets of Rage Remake and putting it on Steam and Xbox Live, because no doubt it'd be better than anything else they can apparently come up with.

Ly_the_Fairy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Ly_the_Fairy
Member since 2011 • 8541 Posts

Ever since Batman: AA came out that's what I've considered the modern-day equivalent of the old 2D beat-em-ups.

I'd just love to see Batman: AA, but instead of Batman perhaps be Battle Toads :cry: or TMNT, and add 4 player co-op.

dramaybaz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 dramaybaz
Member since 2005 • 6020 Posts

A post by you that didn't use:twisted: ?!

LittleMac19

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#32 LittleMac19
Member since 2009 • 1638 Posts
This looks Michael Jackson bad.
mitu123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

#33 mitu123
Member since 2006 • 155290 Posts
Wow..a 3D SOR game...I love this series though.

Ever since Batman: AA came out that's what I've considered the modern-day equivalent of the old 2D beat-em-ups.

I'd just love to see Batman: AA, but instead of Batman perhaps be Battle Toads :cry: or TMNT, and add 4 player co-op.

Ly_the_Fairy
What she said.
SecretPolice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 SecretPolice

[QUOTE="SecretPolice"]

[QUOTE="Lucianu"]

Lucianu

Yakuza = modern Shenmue, more or less. But i don't know, man, it's hard to make a good 3D beat 'em up (by old school definitions), i can't even think of more than two which are good. With quality HD 2D you've got a ageless recipe.

Hmmm, forgot about that game, was the fighting done well? And on the last part, yeah, I know some, mostly my son and one of his VG player friends, every now & then still pop in the old, non HD, SoR2 and play the hell out of it for hours.

LegatoSkyheart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 1

#35 LegatoSkyheart
Member since 2009 • 29733 Posts

Why can't beat'em ups look more like No More Heroes?

Ah well this actually doesn't look that bad, although I thought it was funny that they put Streets of Rage 2 there. :P

SecretPolice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 SecretPolice

A post by you that didn't use:twisted: ?!

dramaybaz

:) Yikes, no way man, crap, well, here, lemme make it up to you - :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

And just for good measure, have a few - :P :P :P

EliteM0nk3y

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#37 EliteM0nk3y
Member since 2010 • 3382 Posts
Doesn't look to bad for a prototype.
rilpas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 rilpas
Member since 2012 • 8161 Posts
I love the SOR games, but that video doesn't really feel in the spirit of the game, soundtrack need to be livelier, the visuals need brighter more neon-signs, the sound effects and action need to be more cartoony and over-the-top
burgeg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

#39 burgeg
Member since 2005 • 3599 Posts

I didn't like the look of it. Maybe the full version of that would have been better than that looked though. To be honest if a new SOR game were to be made it should be 2D game in the style of the originals, with some improvements and certain modernisations(is that a word?). I'd love to see a new Golden Axe game do the same thing too.