Video Games should not have stories

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for _Judge_Gabranth
_Judge_Gabranth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 _Judge_Gabranth
Member since 2006 • 257 Posts

The problem with story telling in games is for the most part developers resort to breaking the gameplay to tell the story. Games usually resort to two methods to tell stories either text or cutscenes. Both these methods stop you from playing and it ceases to take advantage of the medium. Not only does it no take advantage of the games but its ceases to be a game. Its a game that uses movies or novels to tell stories. Games will never come into their own if they continue to play second fiddle to film and literature.

Another issue with medium when it comes to story telling is pacing. In a game Final Fantasy Tactics you read text for 30 minutes then battle for 30 minutes. This is terrible for the story and gameplay and destroys the flow of both. Then there is the issue of difficulty. You don't wanna make the game too hard and ruin the pacing but at the same time you need to keep it hard enough to keep up tension. The video game medium is inherently flawed when it comes to story telling.

Limited range of story is a issue do to the need of gameplay due to gameplay. When you right a story you have to write it with gameplay in mind which makes the writing harder and then gameplay comes secondary. The other option is to create the mechanics and write a story around it but then the story is just tacked on with no purpose. Stories in games take away from the story and the gameplay takes away from the story.

What games do well is not story telling but but world building and immersion. I think a story can be used to strengthen those aspects but they can be done through other aspects. You can still tell a story that strengthens things do well like in Portal 2. All the story telling is done with the player in control. The actual story telling is minimum but there is enough there to immerse you in the world. The reason the game is so great is that it fully realizes the world it set out to create. Its the same reason a game like Bioshock is so great. The gameplay is nothing special but Rapture is just a place you want to explore.

Maybe games one day will be able to tell good stories and take advantage of what games have to offer but I don't see it happening any time soon. Developers need to learn how to blend gameplay and story. The best example I can see is Bioshock because it kinda tells a lot through the enviorment. Also Ico, Journey, Portal 2, and Shadow of The Colossus are good examples. Although I have only play a little bit of bastion I think its approach to story telling could be beneficial for the industry.Planescape Torment is not because when you spend more time reading then you do playing its a terrible example of how to tell stories in games

clyde46

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#3 clyde46
Member since 2005 • 49061 Posts

The problem with story telling in games is for the most part developers resort to breaking the gameplay to tell the story. Games usually resort to two methods to tell stories either text or cutscenes. Both these methods stop you from playing and it ceases to take advantage of the medium. Not only does it no take advantage of the games but its ceases to be a game. Its a game that uses movies or novels to tell stories. Games will never come into their own if they continue to play second fiddle to film and literature.

Another issue with medium when it comes to story telling is pacing. In a game Final Fantasy Tactics you read text for 30 minutes then battle for 30 minutes. This is terrible for the story and gameplay and destroys the flow of both. Then there is the issue of difficulty. You don't wanna make the game too hard and ruin the pacing but at the same time you need to keep it hard enough to keep up tension. The video game medium is inherently flawed when it comes to story telling.

Limited range of story is a issue do to the need of gameplay due to gameplay. When you right a story you have to write it with gameplay in mind which makes the writing harder and then gameplay comes secondary. The other option is to create the mechanics and write a story around it but then the story is just tacked on with no purpose. Stories in games take away from the story and the gameplay takes away from the story.

What games do well is not story telling but but world building and immersion. I think a story can be used to strengthen those aspects but they can be done through other aspects. You can still tell a story that strengthens things do well like in Portal 2. All the story telling is done with the player in control. The actual story telling is minimum but there is enough there to immerse you in the world. The reason the game is so great is that it fully realizes the world it set out to create. Its the same reason a game like Bioshock is so great. The gameplay is nothing special but Rapture is just a place you want to explore.

Maybe games one day will be able to tell good stories and take advantage of what games have to offer but I don't see it happening any time soon. Developers need to learn how to blend gameplay and story. The best example I can see is Bioshock because it kinda tells a lot through the enviorment. Also Ico, Journey, Portal 2, and Shadow of The Colossus are good examples. Although I have only play a little bit of bastion I think its approach to story telling could be beneficial for the industry.Planescape Torment is not because when you spend more time reading then you do playing its a terrible example of how to tell stories in games

_Judge_Gabranth
_Judge_Gabranth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 _Judge_Gabranth

Go die in a hole.

Riadon2

You mad cause I right?

TheDidact

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#5 TheDidact
Member since 2012 • 3986 Posts
Goyoshi12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#6 Goyoshi12
Member since 2009 • 9687 Posts

berneydidnotread.gif?1318992465

^

THIEF!

Blabadon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 1

#7 Blabadon
Member since 2008 • 33030 Posts
You should not have internet access. And please don't use my favorite game of all time in such a stupid OP.
ActicEdge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 ActicEdge
Member since 2008 • 24492 Posts

As much as these shallow cinematic brofests are something that don't really interest me, I don't see what we gain from all games having no story. That would be boring.

Minishdriveby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#9 Minishdriveby
Member since 2006 • 10519 Posts
Some games do story properly where they don't interrupt the game at all and use exploration to tell a story that only this medium can; i.e. Dark Souls. Some games want to be movies every chance they get and ruin the pacing and replayability by forcing you to watch something; i.e. Uncharted 3.
ClassicRockFTW

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 ClassicRockFTW
Member since 2012 • 1106 Posts

_Judge_Gabranth

imgur_gallery_hZSfl_Its_Time_to_Stop_Pos

campzor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 campzor
Member since 2004 • 34932 Posts
no thanks. I like stories in videogames.
Clock-w0rk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Clock-w0rk
Member since 2012 • 3378 Posts

The__Kraken

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 The__Kraken
Member since 2012 • 858 Posts

idiot-thumb-600x600.png

_Judge_Gabranth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 _Judge_Gabranth

no thanks. I like stories in videogames.campzor

You dont like video games

lightleggy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 65

#15 lightleggy
Member since 2008 • 16090 Posts

[QUOTE="campzor"]no thanks. I like stories in videogames._Judge_Gabranth

You dont like intelligence.
nintendoman562

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 nintendoman562
Member since 2007 • 5593 Posts

Did no one read his post? He presents a valid arguement. Throw in Majora's Mask, Metroid Prime, and Mother 3 into the small pile of games that do story well.

Primordialous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#17 Primordialous
Member since 2012 • 1313 Posts

Go die in a hole.

Riadon2

_Judge_Gabranth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 _Judge_Gabranth

Did no one read his post? He presents a valid arguement. Throw in Majora's Mask, Metroid Prime, and Mother 3 into the small pile of games that do story well.

nintendoman562

I agree with all those. Mother 3 does have dialogue but its few and far between as far as I remember. Thanks for being constructive and for reading

goblaa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 goblaa
Member since 2006 • 19304 Posts

All true.

Games are by far the worst medium for story telling.

But don't worry, you're just going to get a bunch of angry ignorant responses from people who won't read the topic.

Story telling is a joke in video games, but most people have just grown comfortable with how bad it is and as soon as you point that out they get all uncomfortable and scared.

josephl64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 josephl64
Member since 2008 • 4424 Posts

story is the main reason I play games...

_Judge_Gabranth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 _Judge_Gabranth

josephl64

I am here to tell you, you have wasted your life

AmazonTreeBoa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 AmazonTreeBoa
Member since 2011 • 16745 Posts
I wouldn't even glance at most games if they didn't have a storie. I would love to see you run a gaming company with that silly approach. You would go bankrupt within a week because nobody would buy your crappy product.
ultraking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 ultraking
Member since 2004 • 6904 Posts
tell that to The Walking Dead or Heavy Rain
Avatar image for ristactionjakso
ristactionjakso

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

#24 ristactionjakso
Member since 2011 • 6118 Posts

Stick to Tetris.

hexashadow13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 hexashadow13
Member since 2010 • 5157 Posts
The hell is this forum coming to? O.o Anyway, I disagree very strongly. Games are developing into the next level beyond film, as film was a level beyond literature. I don't mean that it's superior, but that it adds a whole other level of depth and immersion. That doesn't make literature second fiddle to film, and thus games are not second fiddle to either of those. Some games go for the game play as the ones you listed did, and that's perfectly fine, but what's wrong with developers telling a story? What if it does have characteristics of movies, if those elements are implemented correctly? I don't think the issue is that games need to tone down the stories, but rather, need to stop telling generic bad ones. Yes, that is obviously harder then ignoring that element entirely, but many a game, such as Far Cry 3, Witcher, etc. have proven that it is certainly worth it already when implemented correctly, and overall it isn't as hard to get it within acceptable levels as you seem to make it out to be. But hey, if you don't care about the story, most games skip cut-scenes and text when you press start or something.
ClassicRockFTW

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 ClassicRockFTW
Member since 2012 • 1106 Posts

[QUOTE="josephl64"]

_Judge_Gabranth

I am here to tell you, you have wasted your life

34597.JPG

Riadon2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Riadon2
Member since 2011 • 1598 Posts

tell that to The Walking Dead or Heavy Rainultraking

The Walking Dead made me cry. "Sad" scenes in movies are usually unintentionally funny. Video game stories have a HUGE amount of potential.

goblaa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 goblaa
Member since 2006 • 19304 Posts

I haven't played TWD, but I wouldn't use heavy rain as a positive example of story telling in video games. HR had an awful story, full of plot holes and bad acting. Plus it's story was so obtrusive to the game's "interactivity" that you could argue HR isn't even a video game at all.

Blabadon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 1

#29 Blabadon
Member since 2008 • 33030 Posts

Many games use this well though. DXHR allows for the story to have its more poignant moments through cutscenes while filling in a lot of it during gameplay. Cutscenes, as movie-like as they may be, never disturbed in something like Batman: Arkham City. While I see what you mean about using other mediums to tell a game's story, that's perfectly fine as long as the mix is good and the gamers are informed about this, like when a significant event happens and cannot be told through gameplay at this point. Also, look at games like MGS Peace Walker that have cutscenes that often require the gamer to interact with.

Looking at the extremes will always make something look wrong. Gears of War 1 had very small cutscenes yet managed to keep its flow of constant stop-n-pop shooting because they led directly into each other. In fact, cutscenes in the entire trilogy have often affected which route the gameplay takes.

This is true, but when you don't have ludo-narrative dissonance between story and the gameplay (like DXHR sort of has with its boss fights and stealth-based gameplay), the gameplay can reflect the story quite well. 999 has an amazing story with the perfect gameplay to suit it, if you want to call it gameplay at all. Sure, there's a lot of reading, but that leads to clever extrapolation of the characters and the environments that you must use to escape.

DXHR builds an amazing world, has some of the best immersion ever in a game, and tops it off with a great story. Look at Sleeping Dogs from this year.

Maybe games one day will be able to tell good stories and take advantage of what games have to offer but I don't see it happening any time soon.Developers need to learn how to blend gameplay and story. The best example I can see is Bioshock because it kinda tells a lot through the enviorment. Also Ico, Journey, Portal 2, and Shadow of The Colossus are good examples. Although I have only play a little bit of bastion I think its approach to story telling could be beneficial for the industry.Planescape Torment is not because when you spend more time reading then you do playing its a terrible example of how to tell stories in games

Games, when going for linear stories, will never be as good as movies. But just because this industry is good for leading the player to make their thoughts rather than defining them like other genres do doesn't mean we always have to in the aforementioned examples. Games that allow for more than one route to an action, like DXHR or 999, are what makes gaming split off into its own path and allow for the genre to flourish most.

_Judge_Gabranth

IMO in red.

Riadon2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Riadon2

[QUOTE="ultraking"]tell that to The Walking Dead or Heavy Raingoblaa

I haven't played TWD, but I wouldn't use heavy rain as a positive example of story telling in video games. HR had an awful story, full of plot holes and bad acting. Plus it's story was so obtrusive to the game's "interactivity" that you could argue HR isn't even a video game at all.

I've played Heavy Rain and it isn't really a good example.

youpieceopoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 youpieceopoo
Member since 2013 • 301 Posts

Go die in a hole.

Riadon2
storys suck
youpieceopoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 youpieceopoo
atleast half life 1 told a story through gameplay and not cutscenes.
Riadon2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Riadon2

atleast half life 1 told a story through gameplay and not cutscenes.youpieceopoo

Heweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

PannicAtack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 PannicAtack
Member since 2006 • 21040 Posts

If everyone thought the way the OP thinks, we wouldn't have games like Planescape: Torment, The Walking Dead, To the Moon, Spec Ops: The Line, or Dear Esther.

OP is therefore wrong.

_Judge_Gabranth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 _Judge_Gabranth

The hell is this forum coming to? O.o Anyway, I disagree very strongly. Games are developing into the next level beyond film, as film was a level beyond literature. I don't mean that it's superior, but that it adds a whole other level of depth and immersion. That doesn't make literature second fiddle to film, and thus games are not second fiddle to either of those. Some games go for the game play as the ones you listed did, and that's perfectly fine, but what's wrong with developers telling a story? What if it does have characteristics of movies, if those elements are implemented correctly? I don't think the issue is that games need to tone down the stories, but rather, need to stop telling generic bad ones. Yes, that is obviously harder then ignoring that element entirely, but many a game, such as Far Cry 3, Witcher, etc. have proven that it is certainly worth it already when implemented correctly, and overall it isn't as hard to get it within acceptable levels as you seem to make it out to be. But hey, if you don't care about the story, most games skip cut-scenes and text when you press start or something.hexashadow13

The problem is when developers try to tell stories they take out the game part to tell a story. JRPGs are the worst offenders. They would be better off with no gameplay most the time. FIghting a bunch of random rats adds nothing to the story and ruins the pacing. I think if games are going to go that route they should go like Shadow of the Colossus and have every battle very important.

LordQuorthon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 LordQuorthon
Member since 2008 • 5803 Posts

Hyperbole aside, yes, story should take the backseat while everything else is polished to hell and back. Then, a story can be introduced in a way that works with the already polished gameplay. If that's not possible, just toss it aside and release the game with a shell of a story.

I do disagree with the Planescape: Torment example, mainly because the Infinity Engine and the AD&D rules already made for very, very solid gameplay foundations that could allow for that kind of experiments to actually work.

Vaasman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#37 Vaasman
Member since 2008 • 15584 Posts

Slap yourself in the face for me, thanks.

_Judge_Gabranth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 _Judge_Gabranth

I havent played TWD yet but Heavy Rain is a good example of how to tell a story if you are going to do it. Its a interactive movie sure but its still interactive and you have influence. They could have shoehorned in a crappy 3rd person shooter or something but they cut it down to the bare basics to keep it interactive while still telling a story. The quality of the story is a whole other topic though

youpieceopoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 youpieceopoo

[QUOTE="youpieceopoo"]atleast half life 1 told a story through gameplay and not cutscenes.Riadon2

Heweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

fake doom3 pentagram.
ultraking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 ultraking
Member since 2004 • 6904 Posts

[QUOTE="ultraking"]tell that to The Walking Dead or Heavy Raingoblaa

idk. I didn't go around the net looking for plot holes in heavy rain. I just played it and liked the story
youpieceopoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 youpieceopoo
Cutscenes should be banned from video games. Go look at any old game review from ps1 and cutscenes were never pros they were cons.
Minishdriveby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#42 Minishdriveby
Member since 2006 • 10519 Posts

[QUOTE="_Judge_Gabranth"]

[QUOTE="campzor"]no thanks. I like stories in videogames.lightleggy

If you liked intelligence you wouldn't like half the stories in videogames. :P

Yoshi9000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#43 Yoshi9000
Member since 2010 • 479 Posts

I can see what your getting at, and understand if long cutscenes break up the pace. I got frustrated with final fantasy 13 (my first ff) because of long and annoying cut scenes. It's a game afterall, it should mainly focus on GAMEplay, and portal and bioshock do blend gameplay and story very well. If you wanted a good story, you would read a book or see a movie.

I think videogames sit in between the media however. Professor Layton, you read text for an interesting story, but play puzzles to advance. I dont see what the problem is; as long as it's a good story, why complain? You will want to continue listening or reading. It shouldnt break up pace unless it is an annoying script.

_Judge_Gabranth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 _Judge_Gabranth

Many games use this well though. DXHR allows for the story to have its more poignant moments through cutscenes while filling in a lot of it during gameplay. Cutscenes, as movie-like as they may be, never disturbed in something like Batman: Arkham City. While I see what you mean about using other mediums to tell a game's story, that's perfectly fine as long as the mix is good and the gamers are informed about this, like when a significant event happens and cannot be told through gameplay at this point. Also, look at games like MGS Peace Walker that have cutscenes that often require the gamer to interact with.

Blabadon

If you are just going to tell the story through cutscenes why even tell the story cause it will always be inferior to film. Games should use their strengths. Maybe they will never be able to super copmlex narritives with deep characters but games can do things no other medium can do. Also I wouldnt say I am totally against text in game as long as it isnt forced and fits into the world. For example I think Braid is terrible cause all the sotry is done through mini novels that have nothing to do with the gameplay. Meanwhile a game like skyrim has optional text with NPCs that further flesh out the world without forcing the player to read it so it doesnt break immersion

zassimick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 142

User Lists: 2

#45 zassimick  Moderator
Member since 2004 • 10470 Posts

Disagreed on all counts. There are many ways to tell a story in video games and some are more suitable for different genres. For RPGs, a lot of text works. For action-adventure, cutscenes work as does in-game storytelling a la Portal 2 or Bioshock.

Gamesshould have stories, not all of them but the industry should not shy away from having stories in games. There is room in this industry for games with no story, games with a Hollywood blockbuster motif, games with a minimalistic focus and games with a strong, poignant narrative with a profound message. To say that stories don't belong in this medium is detrimental to the industry and its growth.

Riadon2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 Riadon2

[QUOTE="lightleggy"][QUOTE="_Judge_Gabranth"]

Minishdriveby

If you liked intelligence you wouldn't like half the stories in videogames. :P

The only good stories this year were The Walking Dead and Spec Ops: The Line.

Mass Effect 3 was alright, but I wasn't really that big a fan of most of it.

Riadon2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 Riadon2

[QUOTE="Blabadon"]

_Judge_Gabranth

If you are just going to tell the story through cutscenes why even tell the story cause it will always be inferior to film. Games should use their strengths. Maybe they will never be able to super copmlex narritives with deep characters but games can do things no other medium can do. Also I wouldnt say I am totally against text in game as long as it isnt forced and fits into the world. For example I think Braid is terrible cause all the sotry is done through mini novels that have nothing to do with the gameplay. Meanwhile a game like skyrim has optional text with NPCs that further flesh out the world without forcing the player to read it so it doesnt break immersion

Film story is overrated.

youpieceopoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 youpieceopoo
http://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/40222/DICE_2012_Putting_story_before_gameplay_a_waste_of_time_says_Jaffe.php#.UOO0lKywXxU Putting story before gameplay 'a waste of time' says David Jaffe. Finally someone who's not a complete dumbass. The walking dead is a perfect example of story before gameplay F*ck that game.
PannicAtack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 PannicAtack
Member since 2006 • 21040 Posts

The only good stories this year were The Walking Dead and Spec Ops: The Line.

Riadon2
You forgot Dear Esther.
whiskeystrike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 whiskeystrike
Member since 2011 • 12213 Posts

Username and post don't add up