Upgrade VS PS4

This topic is locked from further discussion.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

Poll Upgrade VS PS4 (41 votes)

Upgrade PC 63%
Go with PS4 37%

Since the XboxOne isn't very appealing for everyone, I wont include it.

Is it better to upgrade a pc with a GTX 760 and other things or put that money towards buying a PS4 video games console for gaming future in the next 1-3 years?

• 
donalbane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By donalbane
Member since 2003 • 16383 Posts

Get everything.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 58957 Posts

@donalbane said:

Get everything.

Not everyone has lots of money (I do obviously) thus we must choose between the two options.

seabiscuit8686

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3 seabiscuit8686
Member since 2005 • 2862 Posts

If you care at all about graphics / game price and have the money / ability to upgrade your PC, then buy do that. Consoles are great for people who don't care and don't want to make an effort to learn about PCs or do the research on building / purchasing them. They are also great for people who don't have the initial cash up front to purchase a PC (people who think in the long term would see the obvious financial benefits of a PC over a console based on the cost of games and online).

There is no reason not to get a PC over a console if you can afford it. A PC is a console (if you throw an HDMI cable to your TV and grab a controller) if you want it to be, but it is so much more (higher res games, better / more control options, customization, mods, etc.)

donalbane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#4  Edited By donalbane
Member since 2003 • 16383 Posts

@uninspiredcup said:

@donalbane said:

Get everything.

Not everyone has lots of money (I do obviously) thus we must choose between the two options.

If you play videogames on any platform, you have a disposable income. If you have a disposable income, you are capable of saving money.

Heil68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#6 Heil68
Member since 2004 • 60713 Posts

Be a true gamer and get them all.

lunar1122

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By lunar1122
Member since 2012 • 784 Posts

@scottpsfan14 said:

Depends. I would get a high end PC if you really want to leave the PS4 behind. a 760 is more powerful than the PS4 GPU, but you have to remember that the PS4 is optimized and will give off graphics that are impressive for what it is. So to be sure, get a high end PC with a 780ti or 2 and an i7 with at least 8gb ram. Of course I'm guessing that is not in your budget so then just do what suits you. PC for openness and perhaps slightly better looking multiplats than PS4 most likely with a 760. PS4 for exclusive games that will probably be some of the best looking games out there too. Up to you.

Hogwash

Avatar image for deactivated-5acbb9993d0bd
deactivated-5acbb9993d0bd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 deactivated-5acbb9993d0bd
Member since 2012 • 12449 Posts

At the moment? neither? nothing is pushing PCs for an upgrade at the moment.... maybe star citizen next year? or when next-gen multiplats are actually the norm.

PS4 has barely anything worth owning... this coming from someone that owns one.

As of now, neither... in a year... both.

clone01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By clone01
Member since 2003 • 29824 Posts

I would suggest playing games rather than posting on an internet forum.

7MDMA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#11  Edited By 7MDMA
Member since 2014 • 315 Posts

Upgrade everytime. A handful of quality first party exclusive games releasing years from now means I'll only be buying PS4 then, keeping it in storage and only using it for those games. In the meantime I'll be gaming on max settings at 1440 with input devices of my choice and high FPS and mods.

gameofthering

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#12 gameofthering
Member since 2004 • 11286 Posts

I really need to upgrade my PC this year, at least before Batman.

lunar1122

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By lunar1122

@scottpsfan14 said:
@lunar1122 said:

@scottpsfan14 said:

Depends. I would get a high end PC if you really want to leave the PS4 behind. a 760 is more powerful than the PS4 GPU, but you have to remember that the PS4 is optimized and will give off graphics that are impressive for what it is. So to be sure, get a high end PC with a 780ti or 2 and an i7 with at least 8gb ram. Of course I'm guessing that is not in your budget so then just do what suits you. PC for openness and perhaps slightly better looking multiplats than PS4 most likely with a 760. PS4 for exclusive games that will probably be some of the best looking games out there too. Up to you.

Hogwash

Excuse me? What is hogwash about what I said? Enlighten me.

pretending that a ps4 will catch up to a 760 is like pretending the ps3 will overtake the 8800 GT in performance. You need to go and learn what optimization is and how it affects the CPU/ GPU.

7MDMA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By 7MDMA

@scottpsfan14 said:
@lunar1122 said:

@scottpsfan14 said:

Hogwash

Excuse me? What is hogwash about what I said? Enlighten me.

I would just suggest that a mid range GFX card would suffice without going the whole hog with a 780ti or two. Sure, maybe not at 60 FPS but a 660,750,760 etc are more than suffificent for serious gaming on the level or beyond PS4 (you'll just make the compromises yourself with your graphics settings and chosing GFX/Performance.)

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 uninspiredcup

Final Fantasy Reborn on mid end pc destroys PS4. PS4 can't maintain 60fps apparently. Drops 30fps. Poorer texture filtering as well.

7MDMA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By 7MDMA

@scottpsfan14 said:
@lunar1122 said:

pretending that a ps4 will catch up to a 760 is like pretending the ps3 will overtake the 8800 GT in performance. You need to go and learn what optimization is and how it affects the CPU/ GPU.

I do know that the 760 is a 2.3 Tflop GPU while the PS4 GPU is 1.84 Tflops. And I also know that DirectX API will never ever EVER allow a GPU to reach anywhere near max performance, where as GNM (PS4's API which gives 100% control of the hardware) will allow for the full 1.84 tflops to be reached. I think it's very feasible that the PS4 will display games that look as good if not better than a 760 could. You seem to be a hermit that thinks he knows his shit. But the truth is, you just go with the flow of what other PC 'Masterrace' dumb dumbs say. Don't preach that bullshit to me that console optimization is a myth or what ever. I have heard it from developers in real life so shut it mister.

Also have to add that we're starting to see some serious lower level optimization on PC to complement the hardware even before DX12 which will be the main catalyst. The latest NVidia drivers have offered a massive performance increase across the board, at least in my case. There will be optimization on PS 4 obviously but PC isn't standing still either and therefore it certainly wont be enough to compensate for inherently weaker hardware. So basically PS4 wont catch up to a 760 throughout the gen.

Wasdie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#19  Edited By Wasdie  Moderator
Member since 2003 • 53622 Posts

Always upgrade the PC before investing into consoles. With consoles you're only looking at a limited number of console exclusives each year while with the PC you're looking at all of the multiplats, PC exclusives, much larger release library, and a massive backlog.

PC is always the smarter investment for any serious gamer. Once you have a PC that's in good shape then it's worth picking up a console or two.

I'm actually sizing up an Xbox One now that they dropped the price and praying that Nintendo drops the price of the Wii U a bit so I can pick up one of those as well.

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 LJS9502_basic  Online
Member since 2003 • 178845 Posts

If you have a gaming PC already then I'd buy the PS4 to get games not available. Is it really necessary to constantly upgrade when the PC still functions well?

misterpmedia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By misterpmedia
Member since 2013 • 6209 Posts

are you even bothered about any Sony exclusives, either from last gen or this gen so far? If not, PC because you'll get those multiplats better. Thought you were a PC guy anyway? lol

Peanutbutterz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Peanutbutterz
Member since 2011 • 219 Posts

What's your budget ($400 I guess since you can buy a PS4), and what resolution is your monitor? What do you value in your gaming experience?

Personally, I think it's just an bad time to buy a PS4 because the lack of games, or upgrade PC mainly because Maxwell is on the horizon. That said, depending on what you have, it could be a massive upgrade. I upgraded from a 6850 to 770 @1200p, and I haven't had a single feeling of buyer's remorse. Personally, I wouldn't buy a PS4 until this fall/winter, and I wouldn't think about upgrading my PC until then either.

But... if you seriously have to get one or the other, I'd upgrade the PC then get a PS4 when more games have been released, so you'll have a better idea if the PS4 actually brings value to your gaming experience.

7MDMA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By 7MDMA

@scottpsfan14 said:
@7mdma said:

Also have to add that we're starting to see some serious lower level optimization on PC to complement the hardware even before DX12 which will be the main catalyst. The latest NVidia drivers have offered a massive performance increase across the board, at least in my case. There will be optimization on PS 4 obviously but PC isn't standing still either and therefore it certainly wont be enough to compensate for inherently weaker hardware. So basically PS4 wont catch up to a 760 throughout the gen.

DX12 will not be below OS level. GNM on PS4 is. Mantle offers 9 times the draw calls as DX. GNM offers up to 100 times the draw calls. I don't think you understand how console development works. Aspecially exclusives. Consoles raise the bar because they drive the gaming market. If a dev makes a multiplat to also run on PS3/360, It will be hindering the other versions of the game including the PC version. If they focus on next gen platforms and PC, you will be seeing much more detail in games because all graphical assets will be far beyond what the PS3/360 could do. DX12 will not get the full flop performance out of ever changing hardware. Not gonna happen. A 760 will be out classed simply because devs are not going to use special optimization algorithms just for that card.

OK, I hear you and I'm not saying the optimization will be as "to the metal" as on console but it's definetely encouraging to see such strides in optimization on PC hardware which hasn't always been the case. I just tend to put more weight on hardware specs/tech; that's why I insist that the hardware gap will be hard to close soley based on superior even vastly superior optimization. It will also be interesting to watch the developments in bringing games over to Linux which would be a far more optimization friendly platform for PC games (and a great way to sock it to Microsoft.)

Pray_to_me

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Pray_to_me
Member since 2011 • 4041 Posts

Upgrade your PC for what? To play Crysis again? Lol F that. This fall when everyone is playing Destiny Hermits will still be watching Star Citizen kickstarter videos.

MonsieurX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 MonsieurX
Member since 2008 • 39858 Posts

@Pray_to_me: buy a ps4 for what exactly? KZ:SF, Knack and Infamous?

lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 lostrib
Member since 2009 • 49999 Posts

@Pray_to_me said:

Upgrade your PC for what? To play Crysis again? Lol F that. This fall when everyone is playing Destiny Hermits will still be watching Star Citizen kickstarter videos.

Lol, what a sad little fanboy you are

clr84651

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#28  Edited By clr84651
Member since 2010 • 5643 Posts

@Heil68 said:

What if you can't afford them all? Someone should choose which ever suits them.

lunar1122

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By lunar1122

@scottpsfan14 said:
@lunar1122 said:

I do know that the 760 is a 2.3 Tflop GPU while the PS4 GPU is 1.84 Tflops. And I also know that DirectX API will never ever EVER allow a GPU to reach anywhere near max performance, where as GNM (PS4's API which gives 100% control of the hardware) will allow for the full 1.84 tflops to be reached. I think it's very feasible that the PS4 will display games that look as good if not better than a 760 could. You seem to be a hermit that thinks he knows his shit. But the truth is, you just go with the flow of what other PC 'Masterrace' dumb dumbs say. Don't preach that bullshit to me that console optimization is a myth or what ever. I have heard it from developers in real life so shut it mister.

You can strawman all you want.. Here are the facts...

If you look at mantel.. Even with all its so called optimizations it does nothing for "decent cpu's", While for weak cpu's it makes a difference. We are seeing 1 to 2 frames difference with mantel activated if your "cpu is already good". Mantel makes absolutely no difference in regards to gpu performance if your cpu's are already up to the task. Since the gpu is told what to do via the CPU.. This is where the optimization sees its benefits from, The CPU tasks...

Now when you look at the Console cpu's.. The ps4 and xbone are using basic tablet 8 core low wattage cpu's.. VERY UNDERPOWERED compared to whats being offered from intel's i5's and up or even amds fx line. If you have an i5 and a gtx 760.. There is no possible way that a ps4 will ever overtake your computer in performance because the performance gap is too far apart . The optimization levels for cpu driven tasks would literally have to be 8x improvements on the cpu to match which is just LOL.

As i said, the 8800 GT still beats the ps3 in every single multiplat game their is . If the previous consoles got so much optimation then why does the 8800 gt still beat the damn thing to this day? .. Why because optimization does nothing for the GPU's. The cpu is what matters..

You also seem to just conveniently ignore the fact that pc's get optimized as well. Its like you live in this tunnel where only consoles get improved and pc is just static.. Mantel is a figment of our imaginations? DX 12 is a hallucination?

I will be here waiting for the day the ps4 can match a gtx 760

Krelian-co

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Krelian-co
Member since 2006 • 13274 Posts

@uninspiredcup said:

@donalbane said:

Get everything.

i would suggest going out and getting a job instead of making more garbage threads and saying things everyone knows aren't true.

Heil68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Heil68
Member since 2004 • 60713 Posts

@clr84651 said:

@Heil68 said:

What if you can't afford them all?

Save your money and get them all eventually. Like the other poster stated:

"If you play videogames on any platform, you have a disposable income. If you have a disposable income, you are capable of saving money."

145ty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By 145ty
Member since 2005 • 564 Posts

You can't compare flops for gaming performance. The GTX 760 yields similar gaming performance as a AMD 7950 Boost which is around 3.1 tflops I believe.

Both those cards are much more powerful than what drives the PS4. Optimization is also a myth.

lunar1122

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By lunar1122

@145ty said:

You can't compare flops for gaming performance. The GTX 760 yields similar gaming performance as a AMD 7950 Boost which is around 3.1 tflops I believe.

Both those cards are much more powerful than what drives the PS4. Optimization is also a myth.

i was going to question him about his horrible flop comparison as well but didn't want to make my post too long since he is so ignorant. If he knew anything about gpu's is that one has to compare like with like. 2.3 teraflops on nvidia means something totally different to 2.3 teraflops from AMD.

NFJSupreme

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 NFJSupreme
Member since 2005 • 6605 Posts

Depends on how good your computer already is

Avatar image for speedfreak48t5p
speedfreak48t5p

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 62

#35  Edited By speedfreak48t5p
Member since 2009 • 14416 Posts

Get an Xbox One.

Cloud_imperium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 103

User Lists: 8

#36  Edited By Cloud_imperium
Member since 2013 • 15146 Posts

I'd say upgrade your PC but at the end of the day , it all depends on your preference .

Cloud_imperium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By Cloud_imperium

@MBirdy88 said:

At the moment? neither? nothing is pushing PCs for an upgrade at the moment.... maybe star citizen next year? or when next-gen multiplats are actually the norm.

What about Watch Dogs .?

However next year , there are going to be more games to push PC hardware like Star Citizen and Witcher 3 . We may even see alpha of Unreal Tournament or announcement of new Total War .

Avatar image for deactivated-5acbb9993d0bd
deactivated-5acbb9993d0bd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By deactivated-5acbb9993d0bd
Member since 2012 • 12449 Posts

@Cloud_imperium said:

@MBirdy88 said:

What about Watch Dogs .?

However next year , there are going to be more games to push PC hardware like Star Citizen and Witcher 3 . We may even see alpha of Unreal Tournament or announcement of new Total War .

meh... thats still a current gen crossover... to me it doesn't look that impressive and its system requirements are taking the p*ss so for me personally not a reason to upgrade.

Star Citizen though... latest cryengine .... massive universe.... incredibly immersive in graphics and animation.... that is something I would upgrade for.

Everything else atm runs perfect on my 5950 ... hardly a new card.

Cloud_imperium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 Cloud_imperium

@MBirdy88 said:

@Cloud_imperium said:

@MBirdy88 said:

What about Watch Dogs .?

meh... thats still a current gen crossover... to me it doesn't look that impressive and its system requirements are taking the p*ss so for me personally not a reason to upgrade.

Star Citizen though... latest cryengine .... massive universe.... incredibly immersive in graphics and animation.... that is something I would upgrade for.

Everything else atm runs perfect on my 5950 ... hardly a new card.

Yep , Star Citizen looks awesome .

Effec_Tor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#40 Effec_Tor
Member since 2014 • 914 Posts

there's really nothing worthwhile atm to play on the ps4 or xbox1 so definitely upgrade now.

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By R4gn4r0k
Member since 2004 • 46283 Posts

Get the upgrade now and a PS4 later.

PS4 will have a lower price and more games. While PC has way more games now. It's win-win.

MonsieurX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 MonsieurX
Member since 2008 • 39858 Posts

Get a Wii U and a 3DS

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By uninspiredcup

@Krelian-co said:

@uninspiredcup said:

@donalbane said:

Get everything.

i would suggest going out and getting a job instead of making more garbage threads and saying things everyone knows aren't true.

As someone who has valiantly earned a crust, it is incredibly satisfying to see such jealousy. Aspirants hating the aspired. A true sign of success.

CyberLips

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

User Lists: 1

#45  Edited By CyberLips
Member since 2009 • 1826 Posts

I say get a PS4 since you already have a PC.

thehig1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#46  Edited By thehig1
Member since 2014 • 7537 Posts

@MBirdy88: exactly what I was thinking, consoles are not worth the money right now and you don't need crazy spec to play all the new games at high or max settings.

My 7850 is still maxing every game I've played.

blackace

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#47 blackace
Member since 2002 • 23576 Posts
@donalbane said:

Get everything.

This ^ ^

The Xbox One should be on the list as well.

There should also be a "None of the above" for gamers who will stick with last gen or get a Wii U. lol!!

PS4hasNOgames

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 PS4hasNOgames
Member since 2014 • 2620 Posts

this dumb site is filled with pissed off hermits that don't have any good games to play so they use their worthless rigs to live on these forums and defend their rigs. ps4 is getting all the best games and then some, meanwhile on pc you get world of warcraft expansion number 59 and a bunch of other boring RTS crap. PC doesn't even have madden or UFC, how corny is that? very corny. plus when gta 6 and the other rockstar games come out they will be on ps4 day one and pc will have to sign another petition and wait 6 years LOL.

ps4 all the way.

musicalmac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 1

#49  Edited By musicalmac  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 25098 Posts

Don't make a topic like this again. This is your warning.