Uncharted Lost Legacy my impression

This topic is locked from further discussion.

IvanGrozny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By IvanGrozny
Member since 2015 • 1847 Posts

I know know, this is coming too late, who cares... Blog it and blah blah...

I am primary a pc gamer. So, i made a break from playing Warhammer Total War for a quick dip in Lost Legacy. The game that didn't impress me at first, so the disk lied on my shelf for months before i decided to get my money worth out of it. Therefore, this review is not coming from a cow, and it's totally unbiased lol...shut up, nerds.

First of all, my favorite Uncharted are 1, 2, and now this one. I didn't like the 3rd and the 4th. The 4th was actually a snooze fest IMO. 10 out of 10 my azz. Walking and climbing simulator, nothing else. All drama could be resumed in "I didn't tell my wife, oh I am in trouble now". It sucked balls.

Lost Legacy, in change, I think was mostly homage to Uncharted 2. Many set pieces were copy pasted from there, but done with much better graphics and physics. For example, the train mission was literally the train mission remake from Uncharted 2. The funny thing, the open world section of Lost Legacy was the weakest. As soon as Uncharted got back on rail, the gameplay became so much better.

The open world part was really slow, empty and grindy. The bracelet that helps to find treasures was really useful. Even though, I really liked treasure hunting, without unlocking the queen bracelet, it's really not fun, as they place them completely illogically, and without help, it's pretty much impossible to find all treasures. They placed them completely randomly and illogically around the map.

Unlike Uncharted 4, I didn't actually minded climbing in Lost Legacy, as the vistas were just gorgeous. Really they were, the climbing sessions were much better designed this time around. Many times I got vertigo attacks, which made climbing sections so much more enjoyable. This game has the highest climbing that I have ever experienced in a video game. Really, you will climb really really high. The only downside is that you can not jump like in Assassin Creed from those heights.

Speaking about Graphics, this is really a graphic king. I don't know what Naughty Dog did to extract so much detail from PS4, but this is really an amazing work. The amount of details was absurd. The buildings, temples, nature, architecture were done with amazing level of detail to the point that I actually felt all this work wasted on a simple third person shooter. I mean the guys who designed old ruins must really love what they do. They should work for Assassin Creed franchise, because so much beauty to the shallow Uncharted gameplay formula is really...undeserving, no offense to Uncharted franchise. But so rich graphics and level of detail for interactive empty world that you pass through without stopping...is like using G.Martin for writing episodes for Two and a half Men.

As a PC Gamer, I was really impressed by Lost Legacy set pieces quality and graphics. Uncharted semi interactive action scripted events were surpassing everything I have seen so far. Surpassing the best moments of Call of Duty, I would say.

The story is pretty much a standard action B movie plot, but without the horrible marital drama from Uncharted 4, during which the whole game was revolving "Uh I didn't tell my wife" thing.

The civilization plot was mildly interesting, without supernatural elements this time around. At moments, nonsensical, but still enjoyable, unlike Uncharted 4. Uncharted 2 is still having the best plot.

Chloe and Nadine were a god adventure companions match, and the banter was enjoyable and fun to listen.

But still the plot was always the weakest part of Uncharted series, but it's serviceable here. All comparisons with Indiana Jones are laughable, it's a B movie quality plot. Period.

Oh and the vehicle sections that were so fun in Uncharted 4 and but scarce, here are done to death and I finally had enough time to enjoy them to the full extent. Driving crushing decrepit buildings and fences, the amount of destruction was really fun, plus they gameplay and combat scenarios were much more varied than in 4. Vehicle sections finally shined here, instead of being just a marketing trick in Uncharted 4, where they were so scarce.

The negatives part would be:

- Hard difficulty is skewed like in COD. Enemies have laser precision. All fun gameplay mechanics such as swinging on a rope are out of question. The game becomes military simulator.

- Slow open world section

- Treasure hunts are grueling without the amulet.

- The plot is just good enough

- The game design is still climbing, walking sections with combat arenas

Positive:

- The graphics

- Climbing high. Really high.

- Combat with verticality possibilities

- Ruins architecture are eye candy and gorgeous. Possibly the best vistas I have ever seen in a video game.

- Chloe and Nadine banter

-Vehicle sections

In the end, I would say the game is good. On my scale I would place just after Uncharted 2, which is a really nice work.

9/10 Graphical KING. That is coming from a PC fanboy, Treasure it cows. Is it a masterpiece, Citizen Kane of video gaming? Of course not. Warhammer 2 is ;P

DrLostRib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#2 DrLostRib
Member since 2017 • 5931 Posts

If only this site had a way to rate and review games or even create blogs

j_assassin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 j_assassin
Member since 2012 • 1011 Posts

I enjoyed lost legacy more than uncharted 1 to 4, but after playing it, it made me wanna replay U1 to 4, weird...

freedomfreak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 freedomfreak
Member since 2004 • 52446 Posts

Weird. PC gamers are usually obnoxious about this sort of thing.

Glad you enjoyed it. So did I.

Basinboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#5 Basinboy
Member since 2003 • 14498 Posts

It was good. Makes me wonder if TLOU2 is going to follow a similar template.

stuff238

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#6 stuff238
Member since 2012 • 3284 Posts

My only minor complaint is the treasure hunting in the open world. Like you said, seemed too hard. But I will just youtube the locations on my second playthough to get more trophies.

Epak_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#7 Epak_
Member since 2004 • 11911 Posts

I'm all in for this kind of SP DLC. Completed it two times now. I agree that the open world sections were the weakest part of this game + some puzzles were clearly dragged on too much to add some artificial length to the campaign. It was pretty fun to climb with the 4x4, trying to find traction though. HDR looks great, some scenes made me go: " **** me, this looks nice!"

whalefish82

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 whalefish82
Member since 2013 • 511 Posts

I think UC4 is right up there with MGS V as one of the most overrated recent games but I also quite enjoyed LL. It benefits massively from being more condensed and shorter in length. BTW, if you got vertigo from this, you should try The Climb on Oculus - it's a whole other level but has genuinely helped me get over a fear of heights.

ArchoNils2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 ArchoNils2
Member since 2005 • 10534 Posts

@drlostrib said:

If only this site had a way to rate and review games or even create blogs

^ This. Also lol for calling it graphics king xD Star Citizen in Alpha looked better than it xD

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 DaVillain  Moderator  Online
Member since 2014 • 56226 Posts

The only thing I like about Lost Legacy is, no Nathan Drake. About time I play Uncharted game with a female lead.

But anyways, I'm glad you enjoy it. I personally like Uncharted 4 little more then Lost Legacy but I wouldn't go that far to say it's graphics king to say the least. It's still the best looking game on consoles so far. I'm glad Naughty Dog is leaving Uncharted series and hope they do something newer after TLOU2.

Avatar image for princessgomez92
PrincessGomez92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 201

#12 PrincessGomez92
Member since 2013 • 5747 Posts

I didn't like the first two games at all, and I skipped 3 and 4, but I loved The Lost Legacy. One of my favourite games of 2017, such a big improvement in gameplay. And Chloe's nice.

LoganX77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 LoganX77
Member since 2017 • 1050 Posts

I liked UC4 better personally but to each their own.

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 DaVillain  Moderator  Online
Member since 2014 • 56226 Posts

@loganx77 said:

I liked UC4 better personally but to each their own.

You're not alone on this. I also like UC4 but Lost Legacy is also a good if you are tired of playing Nathan Drake that is.

UssjTrunks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 UssjTrunks
Member since 2005 • 11299 Posts

Please take your review to IMDB or Rotten Tomatoes.

Needhealing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

#16 Needhealing
Member since 2017 • 2041 Posts

Did gamespot remove the blog feature?

Phazevariance

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Phazevariance
Member since 2003 • 12356 Posts

My scores.

U1 - 9.10

U2 - 10/10

U3 - 8/10

U4 - 7/10

ULL - Haven't played, but no interest.

PSP107

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By PSP107
Member since 2007 • 18800 Posts

@UssjTrunks said:

Please take your review to IMDB or Rotten Tomatoes.

Uncharted 4 is a movie right?

PSP107

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 PSP107

@Phazevariance said:

My scores.

U1 - 9/10(I actually played it 1st on PS4)

U2 - 9/10(Solid pacing)

U3 - 7.5-8/10(middle section were good)

U4 - 3/10(Snoozfest)

Fixed it.

nepu7supastar7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 51

#20  Edited By nepu7supastar7
Member since 2007 • 6773 Posts

@whalefish82:

Lumping UC4 with Metal Gear Solid 5 as one of the most overrated games? What if I told you your opinion is shit? ?

Epak_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Epak_

@PSP107 said:
@Phazevariance said:

My scores.

U1 - 6/10( Cool on the PS3, not so much now)

U2 - 9/10(Solid pacing)

U3 - 8/10

U4 - 8/10

ULL - 8

Fixed it.

Fixed it.

2mrw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#22 2mrw
Member since 2008 • 6205 Posts

Thank god the series is dead. The game has barely any game play variety.

Avatar image for NathanDrakeSwag
NathanDrakeSwag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By NathanDrakeSwag
Member since 2013 • 17392 Posts

I enjoyed it. I'd give it 8/10. Only people hating on it are salty fanboys with no games to play.

cainetao11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 77

User Lists: 1

#24 cainetao11
Member since 2006 • 38036 Posts

@drlostrib: If only this site had a way to rate and review games or even create blogs"

Lol

PSP107

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By PSP107

@Epak_:

I 1st played UC1 on PS4. No way it's lower than 3 and 4. 4 is literally a snoozefest like TC mentioned.

No thoughts on ULL

Epak_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Epak_

@PSP107: UC1 is way too long for its own good, a dragged on shooting gallery/arena shooter or whatever you call those kinda games. Games like GeoW4. Easily the worst Uncharted game there is, give me Uncharted Vita any day over it.

PSP107

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 PSP107

@Epak_:"UC1 is way too long for its own good, a dragged on shooting gallery/arena shooter"

I'll take that concept over walking/climbing for 90% of the game.

Epak_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Epak_

@PSP107: Yup, I'll take an adventure game rather than a bullet sponge shooting gallery.

PSP107

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 PSP107

@Epak_ said:

@PSP107: Yup, I'll take an adventure game rather than a bullet sponge shooting gallery.

UC1(just like 2-3) is just as adventures. The difference between 1-3 vs 4 was 1-3 let you do more than climbing/walking.

xantufrog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#30  Edited By xantufrog  Moderator
Member since 2013 • 17875 Posts

@PSP107: UC4 had by far the best combat of the series, with better mechanics and more numerous mechanics, as well as the best combat arena design. I also think it had at least as much combat too - people just can't see that thanks to the long cutcenes.

1 was ok at best, 2 was solid but still shallow AF, and 3 was mediocre (would have been better if the combat wasn't such trash)

PSP107

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 PSP107

@xantufrog:

What BS. I think you mean UC4's combat is more fine tuned I'll give you that. But the problem was you don't use it much. You really cant deny the majority of the time you're climbing/walking/driving.

"1 was ok at best, 2 was solid but still shallow AF, and 3 was mediocre (would have been better if the combat wasn't such trash)"

1- Maybe because I 1st played it through the UC collection but this was a solid adventure.

2. Enjoyable with great set pieces.

3. The 1st and ending chapters were weak but the middle chapters were fun.

4. I paid $20 for a movie.

Epak_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 Epak_
@PSP107 said:

@xantufrog:

What BS. I think you mean UC4's combat is more fine tuned I'll give you that. But the problem was you don't use it much. You really cant deny the majority of the time you're climbing/walking/driving.

"1 was ok at best, 2 was solid but still shallow AF, and 3 was mediocre (would have been better if the combat wasn't such trash)"

1- Maybe because I 1st played it through the UC collection but this was a solid adventure.

2. Enjoyable with great set pieces.

3. The 1st and ending chapters were weak but the middle chapters were fun.

4. I paid $20 for a movie.

I'm on my 4th time playing through UC 4 :D I still probably keep playing these games since almost every playthrough I've gotten something new tech-wise (new TV, 5.1 surround sound.) Should hop on to 3 because it's the only one I haven't completed multiple times. I swore I wouldn't touch the first game after beating the UC collection version on hard. Must have been my 3rd or 4th time beating it, it's dated for sure, nothing special and I will never play it ever again.

Avatar image for deactivated-5acbb9993d0bd
deactivated-5acbb9993d0bd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 deactivated-5acbb9993d0bd
Member since 2012 • 12449 Posts

@PSP107 said:
@Phazevariance said:

My scores.

U1 - 6/10 - Boring, dated gunplay.

U2 - 8/10 - Better than the first, impressive graphics

U3 - 6.5 - suprise suprise these games get repetitive and lose creativity.

U4 - 5.0 - my god why did i buy another one.

Fixed it.

double fixed

TheEroica

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 TheEroica  Moderator
Member since 2009 • 22783 Posts

"The 4th was actually a snooze fest IMO. 10 out of 10 my azz. Walking and climbing simulator, nothing else. All drama could be resumed in "I didn't tell my wife, oh I am in trouble now". It sucked balls."

So true...

xantufrog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 xantufrog  Moderator

@PSP107: how is my opinion BS? I get that you spend more time walking/driving/climbing in 4. But think you spend the same amount of time in combat as the previous games. UC4 is a longer game. Also, combat SUCKS in some of the earlier games. Bullet sponges, awkward movement, dumb AI. It's bad. I STRONGLY think combat encounters in 4 are more dynamic, refined, and offer more solutions.

(if it's not obvious, I'm not a huge UC fan. UC4 is the only one I really liked. 2 was ok.)

Macutchi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#36 Macutchi
Member since 2007 • 10483 Posts

it's around a 6.5/10 for me. vastly prefer uc4. the faux open world section was a real slog to get through.

the formula's starting to wear thin for me now. there's only so many times you can create tension with a narrowly-avert-death section before they become trite c'mon-just-get-on-with-it sections. ll is the epitome of a play once then trade in game

PSP107

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 PSP107

@xantufrog: @MBirdy88:

What's your take on the online modes?

@frog: "But think you spend the same amount of time in combat as the previous games. UC4 is a longer game."

No way. For every 2-5 mins of combat, there was 20-50 mins of non combat like walking/talking/climbing/driving/puzzling/cutscenes.

UC4 being longer was due to heavy emphasis on pushing story/cinematics. Chapters 19/20- Ending prologue is Uncharted 4 in a nutshell.

Avatar image for deactivated-5acbb9993d0bd
deactivated-5acbb9993d0bd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 deactivated-5acbb9993d0bd
Member since 2012 • 12449 Posts

@PSP107 said:

@xantufrog: @MBirdy88:

What's your take on the online modes?

@frog: "But think you spend the same amount of time in combat as the previous games. UC4 is a longer game."

No way. For every 2-5 mins of combat, there was 20-50 mins of non combat like walking/talking/climbing/driving/puzzling/cutscenes.

UC4 being longer was due to heavy emphasis on pushing story/cinematics. Chapters 19/20- Ending prologue is Uncharted 4 in a nutshell.

The online modes I put down after an hour, the gameplay just isn't there to support any long term appeal, and that reflects in the fact that the MP has never made it as a big hit.

xantufrog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By xantufrog  Moderator

@PSP107: that's what I meant, though - the amount of time in combat is probably the same, but the % of time in combat is less because the game is longer due to more cinematics and adventuring sections

whalefish82

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 whalefish82
Member since 2013 • 511 Posts

@nepu7supastar7 said:

@whalefish82:

Lumping UC4 with Metal Gear Solid 5 as one of the most overrated games? What if I told you your opinion is shit? ?

Well that's, like, your opinion man. I don't even know which one you're defending. MGS V has some great gameplay but is incredibly repetitive, with an atrocious story and terrible bosses. UC4 is a straight-to-DVD b-movie, with small sections of boring gameplay. Either way, they're both overrated and deserve around a 7 at best.

ellos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By ellos
Member since 2015 • 2532 Posts

@MBirdy88 said:
@PSP107 said:
@Phazevariance said:

My scores.

U1 - 6/10 - Yeah this was not a good game.

U2 - 8/10 - Improved everything like the team was working with a newer console generation. Fantastic pacing and made UC UC no longer dude raider wanna be.

U3 - 7/10 - Eh some good things but more of the same and a bit of step back.

U4 - 8/10 - Combat improved once again and actually alot more variety in its combat than the usual UC, Gears, TR, games. Its just that the actual shooting feel is not as good as other tps but again much deeper than just cover and shoot. Also actually good attention to detail of how each wepon shoots and there feedback. (Jesus only if they can focus on the other areas like teh feel) Best story in the series to go along with top noth cinematic production. Its where it gets its points high. Pacing not as good as 2 and too much of hold your hand climbing. Exploration not as good as TR only serves the banter. holds your hand on almost every f***ing thing even the puzzle for f*** sake. In the end i think people have come to know that most praised games have things that truly excel while at the same time have other garbage that you accept. As a cinematic adventure experience it truly spanks other games in its orbit. Sometimes these types of games are needed and this thing is truly good as a cinematic story driven game. I just tried Metal Gear Survive and realised I would rather play a cinematic movie game with interesting characters like this than west my time on that garbage.

ULL - 9/10 If you can forgive it for being just an expansion that basically uses same engine and template as UC4 and literarly grabs set pieces from previous games. Its like a remix of the best part of UC games in the new and improved UC4 template. Best exploration area in the series has progressive puzzles that are laid out in the environment and item reward that actually adds to the game. This is what UC4 should have done in the first place as it had more areas to play with it could have earned that 10. I mean Madagascar, Libertelia in the vain of this game would have been awesome.

Fixed it.

double fixed

Triple fix

PSP107

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By PSP107

@ellos:"Best story in the series to go along with top noth cinematic production. Its where it gets its points high."

Confirmed Ellos likes movies. I forget that's the main criteria of rather or not a game is good or not.

I guess I'm old fashioned because I value actual gameplay regardless of story/character/graphics quality.

ellos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By ellos
Member since 2015 • 2532 Posts

@PSP107 said:

@ellos:"Best story in the series to go along with top noth cinematic production. Its where it gets its points high."

Confirmed Ellos likes movies. I forget that's the main criteria of rather or not a game is good or not.

I guess I'm old fashioned because I value actual gameplay regardless of story/character/graphics quality.

Those would be your words not mine. I look at it as the thing that it excel the most and just a criteria for games. I don't think of it as the main criteria. Gameplay will always be king of course but I can look at other comparable games and not get a sense that gameplay is any better there. Its better then past games and other recent games in the genre. Combat is actually better and breaks the mold of just a typical cover shooter tps. As I said the hold your hand climbing was stupid and exploration was not ROTR level. Lost Legacy does better. Could have cut the climbing short or pace them like UC2, LL for example. So my overall assessment was story execution, actually better combat, improved shooting caries it to about a generous 8/10.

I do like movies. I just would not call myself a movie buff, could be part of the problem why I'm ok with these cinematic games. They are not the only games I like and I'm not in these mind set of all video games should be like this crap.